Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

Huh, Denzel has 'unfinished business' with Char? It's neat when the originals get crossover with canon characters like that.

Toby and Denzel are tied deeply into Gundam's history; in fact, as we see, the entire Virgola project is under an umbrella with the Titans. This brings me to a thing I really like about Z, which is that it's really light on original plot and considers its originals a bit of mortar that gives all the series a chance to interact and combine in weird ways. The way the world is laid out and how the originals fit into it already shows a bit of this, but I'll probably get a chance to say it again once the plot reveals its backstory and the big mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Wounded Land posted:

What's Garrod saying here about Breakers and Vultures?

That they're pretty much the same thing, basically.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

The official translation for the OMNI guys is "Earth Alliance" and it would probably be better to use that as this setting also contains the Orb Union and you'd avoid confusion there. Not to nag, it just stood out to me when Rey's line came up.

Yeah, I didn't know what the proper translation was so I just picked a word, but this is probably a good idea. It's a good thing it still has "Earth" in it; when I thought that the official name was "OMNI," I thought I'd have a hell of an awkward time making the confusion between the Earth Federation and the Earth Union Alliance make sense.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

thetruegentleman posted:

I...uh... :gonk:

So yeah, Z really doesn't waste any time making things interesting for Setsuko! Not that Rand is boring (far from it!), but the Real Robot style of storytelling brings a more a interesting atmosphere of moral ambiguity, even with the Seed characters still jerking each other off with how awesome they think they are.

The only problem with this LP thus far is how much it hurts knowing that we'll never see an English translation of any of this; knowing the third Z game is on its way out the door only makes things hurt all the more.

It's not just moral ambiguity, it's that no one trusts each other. ZAFT and AEUG are only just getting to know each other, the Glory Star is on the Federation payroll, and it took them like two chapters to get over the "Earth Federation? They must be Alliance dogs!" thing.

Rand's angle is very frontier, where you get scavengers and fugitives banding together because basically everyone in the world is after them and they have to stick together to survive and get food and drink.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Brunom1 posted:

Also, PSA: Famitsu has reported that Z1 will be available to download via the japanese PSN at February 19th for 1500 Yen (around 15 dollars), so anyone will get a chance to play it if they make a quick JP account.

drat, I might have to play it again while I'm waiting for Z3. That's pretty awesome news.

Speaking of, did you know you can get an HD remaster of SRW1 if you preorder Z3 now? :toot:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wow, passing the buck.

It's probably me. PLANET is so much easier to type.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

thetruegentleman posted:

"the planet below is hardly defended except for just a few powerful weapons."

I...don't even know what to say to this. Did they really just send a few robots to a random city, and then declare that the planet is helpless after those scouts got destroyed in a few minutes? Did they somehow miss the massive amount of debris that must still remain after the war, as well as more or less all of ZAFT? Or did they notice all of that and STILL decided that they were that much more powerful?

Seriously, that was some poo poo reconnaissance: "Political situation? Industrial capacity? Military capability? Psh, we don't need to know that boring crap; just blow up some random buildings in obviously civilian areas and send the footage back."

Look, they wouldn't be very good alien invaders if they could be scared away by mobile suits.

Actually, by "they don't seem to have much firepower with the exception of one bit" (a more faithful reproduction of the line), I assume they literally mean just Grendizer, because their definition of "a weapon that doesn't suck" is "super robot," and the planet hasn't deployed or in some cases even discovered a single one of its super robots yet.

e: actually, it's probably my fault again for taking something to mean "one group's worth of decent weaponry" instead of "one part of the planet (Japan) has any firepower" but the point still stands.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 10, 2014

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

thetruegentleman posted:

As for Neutron Jammers...they don't make much sense in the show, and their usefulness is a complete mystery in a world filled with multiple magical energy sources. Why don't we just blame negative proton energy and desperately hope people have no scientific literacy?

I don't think the world is filled with magical energy sources yet. :ssh:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Translator's notes:

Gravion :allears:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Dr Pepper posted:

So yeah I think it's important for you all to know that this game is now for sale on the Japanese PSN store! :toot:

It's pretty easy to make a Japanese PSN account for your PS3 and get the points to buy it. Go do it and play along! :v:

I have started Setsuko's route for the first time! I cannot wait to actually play Gravion.

I can definitely wait to play chapter 8, though.

I also surprisingly hate the Glory Star theme and I can't wait for Setsuko to get her own. (If you want tracks, you can save and quit the game to collect them because you get the ones that play during quit messages.)

Caphi fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 19, 2014

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Alacron posted:

And punching the moon is just the "gently caress You" capstone to that? I think I'm gonna like Aquarion. :allears:

Apollo is told he may as well try to reach for the moon, so he makes an attack that literally allows him to reach the moon (it is an Aquarion metaphor).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

GodofDiscord posted:

:glomp: That was a really good scene right there, made me smile. Now that I know what's going on, I have a newfound appreciation for Setsuko's route.

But this exchange is pretty much the best thing ever. :allears:

Never change Glory Star.

I really love these two and this scene in particular. It's not that often I'm compelled to sit down and translate dozens of lines of exchange verbatim.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Droyer posted:

How does Kei's Leader Bonus work with Baron Ashura?

It doesn't, Ashura isn't in this game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Does Kei have the same bonus and a chance to take on Ashura in Z2?

Edit: Oh, wait, duh, probably not. No squads in Z2.

His Ace Bonus gives him a bonus when next to any female character on any side. I'm not sure if that applies to Ashura or not, but it matters much less.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Kei's squad had orders to use the bomb to render the elevator inoperable if necessary to keep it from the Pacifics. It wasn't exactly his decision other than to judge that they were completely overwhelmed, which they were.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Blaze Dragon posted:

Just a small thing, Brunom, you referred to one of the twins (I think the brown-haired one?) as both Riea and Lia. Not like they'll ever be ever remotely important again, apart from one of them learning Accel making her a bit better than the other one (but both are basically not good units even as squadmates).

They both have Accel. In fact, their first three Spirits are identical (and their fourth differs only in that one has Gain and the other Luck).

They're twins.

e: The one that has an xp bonus gets Luck and the one that has a money bonus gets Gain.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
If either of them can be said to be more useful out of the box, it would be the one that comes with Follow Attack.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Crummelhorn posted:

Prevail is actually the only one I've ever been curious about. I think the level of the skill affects how early you get bonuses, but I don't know what those bonuses are or how low you have to be to get them to kick in.

Broadly, the bonuses start at 10% per level you have and get more for every 10% below that you are.

Here's the chart for Z if you want the details (respectively: accuracy/evasion, armor, and crit rate).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The Big O's functional gunbot-ness is a thing I've pointed out in Z2 as well. His best attack may be the Sudden Impact, but his bread and butter, especially while his fists have no recourse against flying enemies, are the Arc Line and Crom Buster. Plus, even Sudden Impact is going to get eventually pushed out by the Final Stage, which is a Big Gun ultimate if there ever was one.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
So much hot air...

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Make it happen!

e: wow, you sure do need a few, don't you?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Dr Pepper posted:

A url tag was broken so everything linked to Godsigma's theme.

Which is not as good as Godsigma's Italian theme, as we learned some weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BBShA45sTg

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Orson Verne's name is based on Orson Welles and Jules Verne.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It makes sense that Z is all about messing with Destiny considering its big theme is "stop picking sides and do your best by everybody."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Glazius posted:

Huh. That's an odd battle mastery to see this late in the game. It's like something you'd get in a tutorial.

Or in Z2:D, which is nothing but. The games after it have had good challenges, though.

Actually, in Z, some of the most interesting challenges are secret ending flags.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Gyra_Solune posted:

And Z3 just sorta seems like a mess. Saddening.

Z3 follows the "political turmoil at the same time as a bunch of cryptic space monsters" pattern. The main thing is that both sides are actually really good. It also pulls off a long, slow fade from "amazing Full Metal Panic school hijinks" to "only I, Literally The Space Devil, know the true cosmic fate in store for humanity" while still doing the greatest CCA climax.

Z3 is a good SRW, that's what I'm trying to say. It's the Z-est game since Z.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Brunom1 posted:

Edit: Last part of mission 20 at the end of the previous page.

Nah, ZEXIS already has dibs on that one and we gotta keep the continuity straight!

Gotta think of a new one that's just as good.

Z-GOON is reserved for if anyone ever does Z3.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Disguising himself as a girl is actually just a thing Eiji does (he did it in the first Gravion stage, as he did at the very beginning of Gravion itself).

...yeah, Gravion.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Section Z posted:

Also holy crap for KAPPEI being the only one to feel sympathy for someone.

Not to put too fine or spoilery a point on it, but there might be a reason for Kappei to see Touga's point of view.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Montegoraon posted:

Here, let me help you with that disappointment. It's a positron cannon (not a proton cannon as previously identified). That means anti-matter. In SEED, Murrue purposefully avoids firing such weapons while on Earth, because they'd damage the environment. Of course, by Destiny they completely forgot about that, and now they install those weapons on fixed ground turrets. Because they're evil.

My bad! Though, uh, positron cannons don't make a lot of sense.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Blaze Dragon posted:

"Barely Scythe"? Is that really correct?...thinking about it, considering the amount of Engrish the Glory Star gives us, it's perfectly fitting.

"Barley," I think, like a thing you'd actually reap. Typo?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Glazius posted:

So you need less deployment slots to get it out on the field too? That's a pretty nice mid-season upgrade.

Why would you need multiple slots for the Gran Kaiser?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
For the public record, Setsuko's 29 is in the works and I'm planning to finish up my bit this week.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Brunom1 posted:

I know but I wouldn't have changed it if it wasn't necessary.

Recapping what I said on Setsuko's 21, the known interpretations of her name weren't correct.

• Calling her Xine is 100% wrong from the get-go because the very first letter of her name is a つ(tsu) not a し(shi).
  • Writing her name as Tsiine isn't right, either, on account that her name's playing off the German word Ziege (meaning is still a spoiler). Said word is pronounced Tsee-guh in German so, going from that, her name would be Tsee-ne, a.k.a. ツィーネ, but would be written as Ziene.

I'm still getting used to it myself but it is what it is.

I'm not sure if "wrong" is necessarily what I'd call the X, in the highly pedantic sense that all romanizations are "correct," but very few of them are meaningful or useful. It's as close an approximation as I'm guessing whoever coined it had to offer at the time (especially without knowing that it's meant to be German, which Japanese has an interesting phonetic relationship with), but rendering it that way makes it confusing for English speakers because X has a normal pronunciation and it's not that. It's like one of those riddles that's too clever because it was worked backwards from the answer and the question doesn't properly lead you back to it.

That said, if there's value in the German connection - and I very much like the theory that there is - "Ziene" is as correct as can be.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
:siren: Everything all of us know is wrong. :siren:

You can totally read the Beaters' names as Land, Mer (in French), and Cielo. We have ignored this for literal years. I only noticed while doing some cross-checking for this thing on a wiki that spelled it outright. "Land Crasher" should have been a clue but we all convinced ourselves it was Engrish, or a pun or something.

gently caress. :eng99:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

GimmickMan posted:

If Zengar survived Sanger, Rand will survive Land.

It sounds like a really obvious romanization now that you do point it out though.

You'd think so, but the actual head-slamming bit is that no one ever put together "Mer." With "Mer," the other two seem obvious, but without it, "Cielo" doesn't seem like anything particular.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Glazius posted:

So how exactly did Gunleon stop the dimensional warp?

Until someone says otherwise I'm imagining him just bolting a giant glowing rift shut.

He didn't. He just got Setsuko to stop being paralyzed and get the hell away from it with everything else.

e: actually I think more accurately, he came back to physically drag the Virgola away.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Blaze Dragon posted:

About Butcher...yikes. There's something to be said about that kind of evil. The player can very easily see why even the other villains, with few if any redeeming qualities, see THIS guy as a monster.

His actual name is Killer the Butcher. That is easily the most evil and alarming name in all of Z, crushing Z3's Space Satan (who is literally a black hole).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't know if it's exactly the same in the game (though I don't know why it wouldn't be), but according to me just now checking Wikipedia he goes from Maj. Gen. to Captain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm going to just write "Doctor Wily" instead of "Professor Kazami" next time and no one will notice.

• Locked thread