Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Setsuko Route Chapter 1

Of course, while Brunom will be going through Rand's route, Z has two protagonists! Meet our Real Robot Protagonist. In terms of genre, "Real Robot" can be loosely defined as more "hard" sci-fi, the giant robots are treated more as mundane tools rather then unique awesome machines. Of course, this is all relative, and any genre distinction tends to be blurry. Notable Real Robot anime are Mobile Suit Gundam, Armored Trooper VOTOMS, and Superdimension Fortress Macross.

In terms of gameplay, Real Robots distinguish themselves in SRW by having low HP, high evasion, and focusing on ranged attacks.

Here we can change our protagonist's name, nickname, Birthday, and blood type. This actually has a gameplay effect! Depending on the birthday and blood type you choose, the protagonist will learn different spirit commands as she levels up. I choose November 11th with B blood type because it's a special set. Namely the birthday and blood type of series producer Takenobu Terada. It gives a unique, and really good set. As I'm doing a fresh run while aiming for all the battle masteries and secrets, I need all the help I can get.

The game opens on a description of the Universal Century. The governments of the world have combined under the umbrella of the Earth Federation, causing people to emigrate to colonies en masse. The Republic of Zeon declares independence from the Federation and the One Year War takes place, leaving battle scars across all layers of civilization.

Nor did the violence stop with the close of the war. Humanity fought off Dr. Hell, who aimed to use the might of the ancient Mycene, as well as the Dinosaur Empire and alien attackers such as the Vegan Federation. A squadron of super robots such as Mazinger Z and Getter Robo defeated Dr. Hell and are pressing back the other onslaughts.

But even this could not unite humanity. Seven years ago, the One Year War divided mankind into Earthnoids and Spacenoids, and the Federation's elite Titans force is gathering power. Fearing the possibility that the Titans will attempt to claim the universe, the Spacenoids have formed the AEUG in resistance.

"As one war ends, another begins. Little by little, a storm is building that will throw the fate of the world into chaos."

Jerid stops a girl in the hall, interested in her uniform, which marks her as a member of a squadron called the Glory Star. She introduces herself as Setsuko Ohara, stationed there as a Glory Star just ten days.

Kacricon Cacooler laughs and wonders what a little girl's doing on their team. "You gonna put on a cute outfit and cheer?"

Setsuko bites her lip and stays silent; to Jerid's smug satisfaction, she knows she's dealing with the Titans. As politely as she can manage, she asks what she can help them with, but they just laugh that she doesn't have a clue. It's a good thing she's stuck "playing with dolls" - referring to the Glory Star's post as test pilots for new suit technology. As far as the Titans are concerned, a soldier's worth is measured in kills; doing tests on prototypes doesn't compare to being on the front lines braving live battle.

FYI, the Titans are dicks.

quote:

:eng101:Information corner - Topic: Titans -:eng101:
The Titans are a counter-insurgency orginization founded by the Earth Federation after the disaster of Operation Stardust, in which the Federation lost a large ammount of it's fleet to a necular attack by Zeon remnants. Their stated task is to root out any threat to the Federation and hunt down the remaining Zeon loyalists. Founded by Jamitov Hyman, he argued that the safety of the Federation supplanted any civil liberties the threats claimed to posses. It is not part of the normal chain of command for the Federation Millitary and largely independant... and above the law. Their responce to protests tend to be on the level of "Gassing entire space colonies." Their steadily gaining more and more power in the Federation, and soon may in fact be more powerful then the government they were created to protect.

Setsuko still can't talk back, though, so Jerid keeps going. The Glory Star is a pretty high-falutin' name, and he just wants to make sure they don't get too full of themselves. Who's gonna win the war? The Titans.

Emma, who at least ranks the same as Jerid, steps to Setsuko's defense. So does Toby, who can't watch his new partner take guff from this Earthborn ace. And by the way, the Glory Star is not just dicking around, whatever First Lieutenant Jerid Mesa says. Oh, didn't that guy lose our new Gundam to the AEUG?

Toby's impressed - it takes some serious balls to not only turn down a new prototype, but hand it over to the enemy!

Jerid growls, but Glory Star team leader and awesome name haver Denzel Hammer stops Toby and assumes responsibility as commanding officer. Jerid spits, but backs down. Setsuko is still cringing, and Toby tells her to stand tall as a member of a team called the Glory Star.

But then an alarm sounds to summon the Titans. Jerid, Kacricon, and Emma move out. Setsuko tries to tell Jerid something, but he blows her off bragging that she'll see what the Titans are made of. She was only going to wish them luck...

: Yeah, good luck, Titans.
: Toby, don't make fun of our allies when they're being deployed.
: Even if they're overconfident, reckless, foolish, loudmouthed greenhorns.
: Heh. You are mad at 'em, aren't you, Chief?
: Well, yeah. If they treat my soldier like a worthless rookie, I hope Ares ****es all over 'em.
: ****...?
: Chief, I think you just traumatized Setsuko.
: Uh oh, sorry. Was that sexual harassment, First Lieutenant?
: N-no! I just didn't know what that meant...
: Ha ha ha! Good answer, First Lieutenant!
: ...I'm sorry.
: Look, Lieutenant, we're the Glory Star. We're handpicked to do a very important job.
: These are things only we can do. Always be proud of that.
: Yes, sir!
: Well, the Titans are off doing their duty hunting the AEUG. Let's get on ours.
: Yeah... We've got some real babes waiting for us in the hangar.

The Glory Star boots up and runs diagnostics on their real babes, and they're good to go. R&D has finished initial on their new versatile weapon system, the Gunnery Carver. The Glory Star's mission is to test both the unit and the recommended combat patterns to utilize it using their Virgola robots. If it works out, the mass-produced Carver will be a very useful tool in the Federation's arsenal - though it's a long way until then.

For today's test, Denzel's Virgola 1 will run as a long-range bombardment; Toby will do midrange mobile striking and Setsuko will test out full CQC. Each Carver has been specialized to those specific roles as a first step, but once their testing run is complete, the data will be synthesized by the 01 unit and used to perfect the true all-range Carver.

Setsuko is still vaguely worried about something, but says it's nothing. Toby calls bullshit, and Denzel insists that she take care of her mind as well as her body, but she stays silent.

Eventually, they wring it out of her that the Titans kind of got to her. Humanity is facing down all these threats (though the AEUG is primarily a threat to just the Titans), so what's the point in their job? Denzel forces her to recite the mission of the Glory Star: "To evaluate the next generation of mass-produced weaponry and research tactics pertaining to the same." It's a very important part of the military and she should be proud of it.

Setsuko is still concerned that she has no actual experience - Denzel is a veteran of the One Year War and even Toby did his part against the Mycene invasion. Denzel reaffirms that the Glory Star is a critical part of the Federation's war effort whether they actually deploy or not... and they might be deployed soon anyway. Besides, testing the Virgola units isn't exactly a cushy job. In fact, says Toby, it took the life of Setsuko's predecessor.

What?

There's a reason Denzel didn't tell Setsuko that! On the other hand, she actually seems more e comfortable now that she feels she's really contributing. She's committed to the Virgola project, anyway, and she says she has nowhere else to go.

: ...what happened to Michael was a regrettable accident. But we owe it to him to see the Virgola through so his sacrifice wasn't in vain.
: Yes, sir.
: I can't hear you, First Lieutenant! From the *****... whoops, from the gut!
: That's more like it. Oh, and one more order from the second in command.
: No rank here. Just call me Toby.
: I... I couldn't...
: Ignore the Second Lieutenant. He does that to me, and I'm his superior.
:: That's just how I show my respect and fellowship, commander!
: The only time you've ever shown my rank any respect is over bar tabs.
:: That hurts, commander! You forgot about when I ask for leave, and when I get my bonus!
:: Speaking of which, I think you're going to get some more respect tonight, Captain Denzel Hammer!
: I can already feel your claws on my wallet.

Toby oughta be the main character, but I can't wish Setsuko's fate on him. She won't be joining them tonight either, because, in true anime fashion, she's below drinking age (a teenager, I think). Denzel reminds her to be proud of her work, and to do another review before the Carver's test run...

...which isn't happening, because the attack alarm sounds off. All the base's forces are backing up the Titans, so it's almost certain that the Glory Star themselves will be deployed in its defense. We're gonna get to see the Virgolas in live combat!

Chapter 1: The Right Stuff

Denzel and Toby prepare for the operation, but why would anyone want to attack the Lutecium Base? There's practically nothing of value here. Denzel corrects him: there's a thing of value here, and that's the Virgolas and their blueprints. Setsuko probably can't handle live combat, so defending the base will be up to these two.

It's the AEUG. That means the Titans have probably been led off on a diversion, and they swallowed it hook, line, and sinker.

quote:

:eng101:Information corner - Topic: AEUG-:eng101:
The Anti-Earth Union Group, commonly refered to as the AEUG, originated as a faction within the Earth Federation. They do not, strictly speaking, oppose Earth itself. Merely anti-space elitists that do harm to residencts of space (spacenoids) such as the Titans. At first they merely attempted political action. However the Titans increasing brutality forced their hand and they took up arms. The AEUG is composed of a mixture of dissatisfied colonists, former Federation soldiers, and Zeon remnants, all fighting for a common cause.

Apolly and Roberto are here, and exposit that the diversionary team has the juiciest prey, Captain Quattro Bajeena and the Gundam Mk.2. Their job is, indeed, to jack the Virgola units, and at minimum, it'll be pretty easy for them to grab some operational data on them... and if they're lucky, they can make off with the robots as well.

Toby starts to wish they were on the AEUG's side, but Denzel interrupts and threatens to shoot if he says another word. For now, we're soldiers of the Earth Federation, and we're going to fight like it!

Setsuko wishes she was out there...

OK! Time to actually play the game! First, a quick look at the two units we have under our control right now.

Banpresto Originals
Toby Watson - Virgola 2
Voiced by Takashi Kondo

Skills:
* Predict - At 130 Will, hit and evasion rate increase
* Counter (Level 2) - On the enemy phase, will sometimes attack before the enemy. Activation rate is determined by the skill stat.
* Support Defend (Level 1) - If adjacent to an ally on the enemy phase, if an attack will hit the ally, the character will perform a Support Defense and the attack will hit the character at reduced damage instead. The number of times this can be performed depends on the skill's level.

Spirit Commands:
* Sense (20) - Casts both "Strike" and "Alert" on the caster.

Squad Leader Bonus
*+20% Critical Hit Rate

Toby is pretty good! Decent melee and range stats renders him a good all rounder, and Toby has a decent enough beginning skillset. Counter and Predict is a nice combo rendering him difficult to hit once his will gets up. Support Defend is a bit iffy on a Real Robot pilot, but right now it'll do. The Virgola 2 is nice too, decent enough agility and the weapons have a fair bit of power.

Banpresto Originals
Denzel Hammer - Virgola 1
Voiced by Hiroaki Ishikawa

Skills:
* Commander(Level 1) - Allies in an area (denoted by yellow squares when highlighting the character) have an increased hit and evasion rate. The size of the area and bonus increases by level.
* Focused Attack - The damage penalty for performing ALL attacks on multiple units is reduced.
* Prevail(Level 2) - As the character takes damage, hit rate, evasion, defense, and critical rate will increase.

Spirit Commands:
* Strike (15) - The caster will have 100% Hit rate for that turn.
* Trust(10) - Restore 2500 HP to an ally.
* Invincible(10) - The next attack that hits the caster will do 10 damage.

Squad Leader Bonus
*+10% Accuracy

Denzel Hammer does not only have a great name, he's a great pilot. Look at that range stat. He can blast things hard, and his spirit set is great too. Trust is really handy right now, he's our only source of healing for the moment. Invincible on a Real Robot is fantastic too, it mainly reduces those times the RNG doesn't roll in your favor with a 30% dodge chance. And, of course, his skill set is great too. Commander can't be bought, and is always handy, and since his best attack is an ALL Attack, Focused Attack is incredibly handy to have.

Let's move down Toby and Denzel to meet the AEUG Nemos.

They move up and try shooting at us. Yeah, these basic grunts aren't going to be able to do much.

:You want some, I've got some! You'll regret messing with the Glory Star!

Good job there Toby.

Setsuko decides to be helpful and deploys her Virgola. She may not have ever been in live combat, but she's done all the drills and learned all the moves. Denzel orders her to go back inside, but she points out that the enemy has us outnumbered, pinned against the wall, and their commanders in the black machines monstrously skilled. If nothing else, she can provide covering fire.

Denzel and Toby are impressed at Setsuko's analysis. The commander relents, but orders Setsuko to stay away from the enemies. Her mission is to support the other Virgola and compile their field data for after the battle - we're making this a test after all. And just as Setsuko saw, the black machines are the enemy commanders; if we can focus them down, the battle is over. Just remember, the Glory Star's primary mission is the Virgola - the pilots are not to lose either the machines or their own lives!

Right, back to the Nemos shooting at Toby.

Oh hey one of them aimed for Denzel too.

: (The AEUG was founded to combat the Titans' increasing control of the Federation...)
: (They're right about one thing. If they're let continue, the Titans will have the army under their control soon.)
: But our current mission is to defend this base and the Virgola. That's all I need to think about!

Apolly and Roberto move up too, but don't get in range yet.

Banpresto Originals
Setsuko Ohara - Virgola 3
Voiced by Yukiko Takaguchi

Skills:
* ????
* Support Attack(Level 1) - When Adjacent to an allied character before having attacked that turn, can perform a Support Attack after the ally attacks. The support attack will be slightly weaker then a regular attack.

Spirit Commands
* Attune(10) - Grants one Ally the effect of the "Strike" Spirit command.
* Focus(10) - Increases hit and evasion rates by 30%
* Alert (10) - The caster gains 100% evasion rate for the next attack that targets the caster.

Squad Leader Bonus
* Ranged weapons receive a 10% bonus to Attack Power

Being the main character, Setsuko is of course very good stat wise. Her melee's not too hot, but her range stat is very good. Her stats are overall lower then Toby and Denzel, but she's level 1 to their 5. Skill wise it isn't that impressive. She only knows two skills, while that gives her plenty of room to grow later it's a bit lacking now, one is not even available right now for us. But the other, Support Attack, is going to be very handy. Support Attack is a great force multiplier. Her spirit commands are great, as I said they would be with Terada's Birthday. Attune that cheap is fantastic, and cheap Focus is great for a Real Robot Pilot. Alert's a little redundant, but it'll still be useful. Also her Squad Leader bonus is fantastic. One minor problem is that Setsuko's best attack right now is melee based, but that'll change as she gets some upgrades.

All right Setsuko! Show us what you've got!

:I will fight... a soldier must fight!

Good job there.

Denzel's Command ability is useful so I'm trying to make sure everyone stays in it, especially since Apolly and Roberto are coming up next turn, and they're much more threatening then the grunts.

Denzel and Toby finish off the remaining two Nemos, bringing us to the enemy phase.

Sheesh! Look at that, Apolly is a bit more of a threat then the mook.

Ow! Yup, anything in the 40s is risky for a Real Robot, as you can see here.

Denzel, of course, is ready to smack back and hit slightly harder.

Toby does a bit better against Roberto.

Right, let's take down Roberto, since he has lower HP. Get to that Toby.

Good man.

Roberto and Apolly, being plot characters, run instead of blowing up.

Denzel softens up Apolly,

Setsuko has pretty bad hit odds on him, a mere 63%. Not wanting to play those odds...

I have her cast Attune on herself, raising her hit rate to 100%

There we go!

This was enough for Setsuko to level up! Shocking, leveling in an RPG. I'll only show interesting level ups from now on though.

The AEUG assault team is down, but the Gundam Mk.2 and Quattro's red suit seem to have evaded the Titans and come to finish the job. Toby, to Denzel's dismay, is glad to see the Gundam repainted from Titan colors to its natural red, white, and blue. But that's nothing for us to be happy about - with a Gundam and a red custom to deal with, we might as well be facing down Amuro Ray and Char Aznable together. But we still have no choice but to defend the base.

Quattro tells Kamille that the AEUG's basic mission, to gather intel on our forces, is complete, so there's no pressing need to push hard. If they're damaged, they should pull out. Kamille gives the roger, but they both know that the Virgola's technology is going to be a huge advantage to the Titans if they let it be completed.

And then Quattro casts Focus. We're not hitting him any time soon.

And here's our first Battle Mastery! The stage will end when Quattro or Kamille's HP gets reduced below 4000, but we'll get the Battle Mastery if we manage to actually reduce their HP to zero. Since I don't want to try and hit Quattro, I'm going to go for Kamille.

We don't want to really hit these guys until we're ready, so Denzel's going to just dodge for now.

: I can't believe I'm fighting for the Federation against a Gundam...
: He's good... this must be how a veteran soldier fights!

Good job.

I'm a gamblin man it seems. :colbert:

: Well, isn't this nice? We got a chance to recover that machine and shove it in Jerid's face!
: He's fast... he's better in live combat than the Titans!

And looks like the odds are in my favor.

This is what trying to hit Quattro looks like.

I don't try to hit Quattro.

Just in case somebody targets Setsuko, I cast Alert.

Next turn after dodging both attacks...

Toby uses his one Sense cast to be able to both hit Kamille and dodge his counter.

While Setsuko Attunes herself again to be able to support attack him

:The Titans will respect us if we recover that mech...
: I won't let you defeat me, no matter what your reasons are!
: And what reasons could your group have for causing chaos in the aftermath of the Vega war!
: So you're just a mindless soldier following your orders! Can't you of all people see how dangerous the Titans are?
: I... I am a soldier! This battle is my duty!

Good job Glory Star! We get an extra 25 PP for you all, which is the main gameplay incentive for doing the Battle Masteries.

Camille retreats, but Setsuko wants to take the Gundam back for the Federation and gives chase...

With Setsuko fighting a losing battle, Denzel and Toby rush in to back her up.

Camille strikes back against the Virgola 1, dealing heavy damage to Denzel.

Setsuko screams, and suddenly, space begins to twist and thrash around the Virgola 3. Camille and Quattro try to pull out while Denzel and Toby try to save Setsuko, but all five of them are caught in a blast of raw dimensional energy...

-----

Extra dialogue

Setsuko vs. Quattro
: That one moves differently from the other two...
: I can do this! I can do something!
: It's completely out of formation with the others. Is the pilot a rookie?

Toby vs. Quattro
: It moves well for a machine under development. It must be further along than we thought.
: You're in no position to talk our tech up! You can finish your speech in Hell!

Denzel vs. Quattro
: Looks like the rumors of the second coming of the Red Comet weren't a load of bull after all...
: Impressive reactions. That machine... no, that pilot is excellent.
: I have unfinished business with the Comet from the One Year War. Whether you're the real McCoy or not, you're dead!

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BlitzBlast posted:

Also picking 11/11? For shame. :colbert:

Look man I need every edge I can get for every secret on a first run through.

Brunom has no excuse though. :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wounded Land posted:

Say, Dr Pepper, do you think you could do like Brunom and post the keyword blurbs when they come up? So far we've gotten Titans and AEUG.

Going to add that in as well as the remaining battle dialogues for this mission (Setsuko vs. Kamille, everyone vs. Quattro) later this week.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I updated my post with information corners and the remaining battle dialogue!

---

quote:

:eng101:Information corner - Topic: Titans -:eng101:
The Titans are a counter-insurgency orginization founded by the Earth Federation after the disaster of Operation Stardust, in which the Federation lost a large ammount of it's fleet to a necular attack by Zeon remnants. Their stated task is to root out any threat to the Federation and hunt down the remaining Zeon loyalists. Founded by Jamitov Hyman, he argued that the safety of the Federation supplanted any civil liberties the threats claimed to posses. It is not part of the normal chain of command for the Federation Millitary and largely independant... and above the law. Their responce to protests tend to be on the level of "Gassing entire space colonies." Their steadily gaining more and more power in the Federation, and soon may in fact be more powerful then the government they were created to protect.

quote:

:eng101:Information corner - Topic: AEUG-:eng101:
The Anti-Earth Union Group, commonly refered to as the AEUG, originated as a faction within the Earth Federation. They do not, strictly speaking, oppose Earth itself. Merely anti-space elitists that do harm to residencts of space (spacenoids) such as the Titans. At first they merely attempted political action. However the Titans increasing brutality forced their hand and they took up arms. The AEUG is composed of a mixture of disatificed colonists, former Federation soliders, and Zeon remnants, all fighting for a common cause.

-----

Setsuko vs Kamille

:The Titans will respect us if we recover that mech...
: I won't let you defeat me, no matter what your reasons are!
: And what reasons could your group have for causing chaos in the aftermath of the Vega war!
: So you're just a mindless soldier following your orders! Can't you of all people see how dangerous the Titans are?
: I... I am a soldier! This battle is my duty!

Setsuko vs. Quattro

: That one moves differently from the other two...
: I can do this! I can do something!
: It's completely out of formation with the others. Is the pilot a rookie?

Toby vs. Quattro

: It moves well for a machine under development. It must be further along than we thought.
: You're in no position to talk our tech up! You can finish your speech in Hell!

Denzel vs. Quattro

: Looks like the rumors of the second coming of the Red Comet weren't a load of bull after all...
: Impressive reactions. That machine... no, that pilot is excellent.
: I have unfinished business with the Comet from the One Year War. Whether you're the real McCoy or not, you're dead!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You'd be hard pressed to find someone who lived through the One Year War who doesn't have some unfinished business with Char. :v:

Unfortunately Denzel has the wrong guy, that's Quattro! :downs:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There just aren't any videos for the first update because I have more technical issues to run though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah "shoot at mans" and "jump at mans" aren't the flashiest attacks around.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gainer has the best theme and I will brook no argument otherwise.

Gainer, of course, is a real good choice for Attack Again. His high skill plus that skill boost he gets from his Gamer skill means he usually outskills the opposition.

Random amusing abservation, Gainer and Ryusei have near identical backgrounds. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Brunom1 posted:

I don't think I like you anymore, Doc! Eureka 7's BGMs are FAR superior!

But can you dance to them? :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Setsuko Route Chapter 2

OK then! Let's get to this!

This here is the Intermission Menu, you'll be spending plenty of time here. So get used to it. Right away we see some stuff. Denzel's face there means that he's our top ace, having the most kills of any unit in our army thus far. We also see a lost along side him of the other four members of the top five. The top five people will get a +5 bonus to Will at the start of every stage. That's pretty handy.

Current top Aces:

1. Denzel - 8 Kills
2. Toby - 7 Kills
3. Setsuko - 3 Kills

Not very exciting right now, but we'll see who comes out on top as the game goes on. No onto the menus! I'll cover what it is when it comes up. For now, however, I'll just select the first option, "Mech Commands", and then go to "Mech Upgrades."

Here we see the Mech upgrade menu. We can spend the money we earn to upgrade the base stats of our mechs. They are, from top to bottom.

* HP: How much damage the mech can take before dying
* EN: Energy, used to power some weapons as well as flight
* Armor: Reduces damage taken
* Mobility: Increases the chance to dodge attacks
* Accuracy: Increases hit chance. Always upgrade this. Buy it for everyone, never stop buying accuracy.
* Weapons: Ups the base power of the mechs weapons. I rarely spend money on this, actually. v:v:v

I spend the money I got last mission on giving each of the Virgola's an evasion boost. That takes up the bulk of my meager funds right now. But don't worry, Z has no problem chucking tons of money at you. There's nothing else I can do right now, so let's head on to the next mission! Selecting the bottom option in the menu, it's time for time to continue and Setsuko's hilarious dimension hopping adventures!

In a territory called Armory One, "Princess" Cagalli has come to ask Chairman Gilbert Durandal of the PLANT Supreme Council (whew), for what sounds like the hundredth time already, if he could please stop doing military operations using ORB technology, and also the ORB people he, admittedly, graciously gave safe harbor in his domain. The war is over, she presses; the Federation and PLANT signed the Junius Pact, and Naturals and Coordinators are finally learning to coexist. What's the point of weapons development now? And she, representing ORB, certainly can't overlook the involvement of ORB's citizens in all this.

quote:

:eng101:Information Corner - Topic: Coordinators:eng101:
Genetically modified humans. The modification is done to a child while still an embryo, following that the modification does not need to be done for two generations. However third generation Coordinators will not be able to have children unless they do so with a parent who has not been genetically modified. A constant source of tension, Coordinators are engineered to be smarter and more physically adept then the average human. Naturally such things cause tensions between them and unmodified humans, known as "Naturals." It got to the point that the first Coordinator was, George Glenn was assassinated. (Though he lives on as a brain hooked up to ship with some crazy Junkmen, but that's neither here nor there). It eventually hit a head with the creation of hate groups such as Blue Cosmos. With the end of the Bloody Valentine War... can the two halves of humanity work together again?

Durandal certainly agrees that there's no reason to wage war. In fact, he's glad she feels that way. That doesn't answer the question, especially since with a new model of ship soon to be unveiled and loaded with new models of mobile suits. Durandal says that peace and prosperity must be backed by power. "Even a princess should be aware of that. Especially a princess, in fact." Also, she seems to be laboring under the impression that ZAFT's charter is fighting against Naturals. No, ZAFT serves in defense of PLANT, to protect its peace and prosperity against invaders. Cagalli seems to have forgotten that there are threats to PLANT other than the Federation. Aliens, for example.

"Chairman, this is no time for jokes! I'm here to discuss real issues! We can talk about sci-fi stories of alien invasions another time!"

Durandal reminds her of Evidence 01. Cagalli is in no mood to theorize about rocks, but Durandal claims the space whale fossil (I'm told this is a real thing in Gundam SEED) is clear evidence for extraterrestrial life. Cagalli retorts that humanity's been out in space for over 50 years and sent manned crews out as far as Jupiter without finding a single sign of actual aliens. Also, she would really rather he stop calling her "Princess."

Fine, says Durandal. Let's talk real. He has no intention of stopping the people of ORB, his new citizens and charges, from using their skills to make a living in their new home. Cagalli protests that that kind of power will be the seed of war, but Durandal responds that they need power because war is inevitable whether they have it or not. Again, if the citizens of ORB want to help their new home however he can, he doesn't find that objectionable in the least.

Speaking of ORBians doing their part, some of them have found their way directly into ZAFT. For instance, Cagalli's assigned bodyguard is a Coordinator...

This guy, Alex. Wait, what?

In another part of Armory One, a girl named Stella laughs and twirls and dances through the streets, to the consternation of her friends Auel, and Sting - though they can't deny she has something to be happy about. Whatever it is, it's about to start!

Her twirling takes her into the path of a boy named Shinn, and they go tumbling. Shinn apologizes over and over, but Stella only mumbles that his hand is on her choh come on. She springs off him and runs away.

His own friends, Vino and Yolan, congratulate him. Nope. I'm not doing this.

Luckily for me, a high-pitched noise rings out through through the city...

Chapter 2: Eyes Full of Rage

What are these guys suddenly doing here? Denzel calls for a report, but there's none to be had. Toby can recognize that they're on some Colony, but given they were just on the Moon, that raises more questions than it answers.

The Virgolas are new faces around Armory One as well; Shinn's buddies ask if he's got any clue, being a MS pilot, but all the information he's got is on the Second Stage tech, and these mechs aren't anywhere in there.

These two, pilots of ZAFT, are trying to figure out if the mysterious new robots are threats.

ZAFT deploys its mobile suits to intercept, and these non-suspicious people decide that whoever the blue machines are, they must be their allies if ZAFT's mobilizing against them.

The presence of a Zaku, not a Hi-Zack, in the ranks suggests the Glory Star has made it to a Zeon colony, but that makes even less sense.

Denzel sensibly elects to call the ZAFT commander to sort all this out; he introduces himself and explains the situation. Unfortunately, claiming to be of the Federation Army doesn't make ZAFT any less suspicious of their sudden appearance within their walls...

And an explosion at a Second Stage manufactory just convinces them that we're some kind of Federation stealth unit aiming to jack their new boat. Fine; Denzel declares that if it's come to this, explanations won't really help, and our first priority is to protect the Virgolas. That means don't shoot for cockpits.

OK then! Our mission is simple, defeat all the enemies here, non lethally as possible according to Denzel. The Battle Mastery is also a simple one. We have two turns to do it.

Two turns for three units to blow up four. Plus, it's going to take us a turn to get into their range, so we effectively have one and a half turns.

So let's get to that, move Glory Star up to the front!

Naturally the ZAFT mechs all begin to move up to target Glory Star. A lot of the "Beat in X Turns" Battle Masteries aren't near as tough when you realize that a "Turn" means both the player and enemy phase. Now if they say "Beat in X Player Turns" then you start to worry.

The GuAIZs aren't that big of a threat, especially since Setsuko has Denzel's Command Aura supporting her.

As you can see, we can pretty safely two-shot them.

The prelude to action, and the results, yet not the action itself. Denzel is art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnefXX0R_f4

And here's Toby Goomba stomping a GuAIZ, fun times.

Denzel then easily handles the Zaft Armed Keeper of Unity (I'm betting the country is named ZAFT just to make that acronym).

On to the second and last turn we have for this BM. Moving Setsuko off to where she could hit every single mech, I target this GuAIZ.

It goes well.

Meanwhile Denzel smacks the Zaku down.

Cagalli and Alex are knocked off balance in the crossfire; they're not hurt, but Cagalli calls Alex "Athrun." "I'm Alex Dino now," he says. "I gave up that other name." And as Alex, protecting her is his mission, so he says. But silently: "Kira, I swear I'll protect Cagalli..." He starts leading her somewhere; they're separated from Durandal, but he'd rather do something than sit still and wait to die...

We interrupt this drama to bring you a bunch of weirdos from nowhere blowing up your troops, sorry Cagalli.

Enemy phase with only one weakened GuAIZ left! Glory Star's got this one in the bag too from the looks of it.

Yup.

The Glory Star has successfully fought off ZAFT's guard, but it's going to be tough now to smooth things over and explain what really happened - assuming they don't just shoot on sight now. And Toby's still curious about that explosion...

We may get our answers; three new machines emerge from the ruins. Their heads seem Gundam-ish, but the models are unfamiliar; between this and that Zaku, what's going on in this colony?

It's these guys, and the mechs are ZAFT's new models; looks like they've jacked them.

The Gundams start wrecking their surroundings; Setsuko intercepts a communication confirming that those Gundams have been hijacked. It dawns on the Glory Star that they're unwitting accomplices to Grand Theft Gundam!

Cagalli isn't sure their Zaku's up to this battle; without ZAFT's guard, they're up against six high-performance mechs. Athrun repeats that it's safer than remaining sitting ducks. "I will not let you die."

Fortunately for Athrun, Shinn's been ordered to deploy in a single mech of his own, the Impulse.

Shinn's support operator, Meyrin prepares the Impulse's Sword Silhouette for deployment from their ship.

Arthur, second in command, questions the wisdom of sending Shinn out alone, but his Capitan, Talia, says they have no choice. They can't let their enemies get their hands on the Second Stage machines.

There's also the deeply concerning matter of the other three robots, the ones that mysteriously appeared in the middle of their colony. How did they do that? What's the Federation's secret new weapon?

Cagalli was worried about Durandal, but he seems to be quite safe, having had the Minerva (the ship we're on) take him in. Anyway, he knows those three aren't Federation mechs, and he orders the Minerva to focus on not allowing the three Gundams to escape.

Auel is pretty sure he can handle a single ZAFT mech. Athrun pulls out some sick moves and dodges all the bullets, but even so, he doesn't think Cagalli's body can handle those evasive maneuvers.

Sting rushes his Gundam in and grabs Athrun, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYcUDTcleDY

The Minerva's catapult fires out the components of the Impulse; the jet-like Core Splendor strikes Sting's Gundam, giving Athrun a chance to escape, before combining with the other parts to form a Gundam. Shinn is pretty pissed that some assholes are trying to start another war.

Meanwhile, the Glory Star weighs their options. Toby sees a chance to get out of Dodge, but Denzel is interested in maintaining a shred of credibility with the locals, and gets to choose between leaving the Colony and capturing the hijacked Gundams. For our purposes, he chooses to stay and fight with ZAFT; this way, they'll get more credit when they go to explain themselves.
:siren:SECRET ALERT: You want to pick the second option, "Capturing the Hijacked Gundams":siren:

He calls Shinn and quickly explains that they were defending themselves and aren't here to fight. Shinn says the same thing the other ZAFT soldier did, but Athrun calls "the ZAFT pilot" and tells him to step off (explaining that he's an ORB citizen assuming emergency use of his mech). Their orders are recovering the stolen Gundams, not concerning themselves with the mysterious mechs, however suspicious they may be.

Before Shinn can protest again, he gets a call from Talia confirming those orders - priority one is to take the Chaos, Abyss, and Gaia back. (Could you think of more evil names for your robots?) ZAFT is out of units anyway, so they need all the backup they can get.

Sting is pretty pissed to find out that the Glory Star isn't on his side after all, and tells his buddies they're going to crush their way through all five of our robots.

Auel seems fired up. Stella doesn't.

Right, in order to win all we need to do is defeat one of Sting, Auel, and Stella. Tragically, we lack any method of blowing up all three at once.

Geez Athrun, you really let yourself go since SEED. Also, "Alex", could you at least put on a pair of sunglasses? You're a disgrace to people throwing away their old identities everywhere.

: (ZAFT used to use stolen Mobile Suits from the Federation...)
: (And this time it's ZAFT's mechs being stolen.)
: (Does this mean that war's going to repeat itself?)

However, he handles it well enough. Unfortunately I ended up skipping the animation, not realizing it was of minor import. Oh well, it was just some minor attacks.

Meanwhile it's time to play Gamble with Toby! Will he avoid Auel's attack! Will he hit with his ultimate attack, Barley Carver? Find out below!

: Perfect! You can be our first live-fire test!
: If you're not on our side, there's nothing holding me back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht-8fPf7ViE

Lousy Shield Defense! :argh:

Then Stella targets Shinn, all Shin can do at the moment is fire his vulcans... which will be utterly useless against the Gaia's Variable Phase Shift Armor. So I just attempt to dodge...

:It's another Second Stage mech! I won't let it beat me!

Good job there Shinn! His Blocking skill kicked in, just flat out negating the attack with his sword.

Player phase starts with Denzel casting Strike. We're going to blow up Auel.

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
Auel Neider - ZGMF-X31S Abyss
Voiced by Masakazu Morita (Japanese), Brad Swaile (English)

Skills:
* Extended (Level 1) - Hit rate, critical chance, and evasion rate increased.
* Blocking - If the mech is equipped with a shield and/or sword, can use Sword Block and Shield Block. Sword Block will neutralize melee and missile attacks, while Shield Block will reduce damage taken. Activation rate is based off the skill stat.
* Counter (Level 1) - When targeted by an enemy, the pilot has a chance of attacking first.
* Focused Attack - The damage penalty for performing ALL attacks on multiple units is reduced.
* Battle Spirit - Starting from the second turn, will gain 3 Will every turn.

Squad Leader Bonus
*+10% Accuracy rate +20% Critical rate

He's the defensive one of the latest incarnation of Gundam Team Rocket. Not a big deal right now, but Extended, Counter, and Blocking are going to make him very annoying later on. Especially since, like all Cosmic Era Gundams, it's equipped with Variable Phase Shift armor, which drastically reduces any attack that isn't a beam.

Still, that's the future. Right now he has a meeting with the Ray Straight Turret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyK1gIFXCE4

Next, Shinn casts Focus.

With a Support Attack from Athrun he should be able to take him down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSwP22bNYiA

Like so!

Finally defeated, the spies just turn tail and flee.

Before anyone can go after them, the entire colony rumbles and quakes; something must be firing on it from outside. These guys must have some powerful backup, but who?

Talia orders Shinn to retreat to their ship, along with the Zaku and the other three. They'll pursue those Gundams with the Minerva itself.

----

Extra Dialogue

Sting vs. Glory Star
: Whoever the hell you are, I don't have time to play with you...
: We've got to win, every time!

Stella vs. Glory Star
: If I succeed, I'll make Neo proud of me.
Anyone who tries to stop me can go die!

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 18, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AradoBalanga posted:

Corrections!

The non-ZAKU units you fight are the GuAIZ R, an upgrade to the GuAIZ from SEED. That amounts to changing the shield they carry to have one beam saber port instead of a two-blade claw and adds hip railguns. So...basically it's an equipment upgrade.

And yes, the SEED Destiny ZAKUs are capitalized on purpose. Because the Cosmic Era has quite possibly the most largest, loudest, and craziest raging boner for acronyms I have ever seen in any medium.

You're being incredibly helpful since I can't seem to remember all the million variations on a dozen near identical mechs for selling toys.

(And I thought I was so proud of myself for realizing they weren't all ZAKU's and correcting them to GINNs) :negative:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wounded Land posted:

They talk a bit about E-01 in Alpha 3 (SEED's crammed-in debut), where I don't think it's even a ripple given that Earth has faced down no fewer than TEN alien invasions by that point.

Up to and including one spearheaded by a different E-01 :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Some people go crazy spergy over Squads even though there's really only two things you need to really worry about.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Making sure that flying units are paired up with proper distribution of parts to help with the endeavor.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeaaah that sounds like a level of concern I can't be bothered with. :v:

At most I'll try to give some supers repair bots.

Edit: I sperged out enough with Twins in OGS2nd, gunna take it easy with Squads here.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 18, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Brunom's recording directly from a PS2 while I'm using an emulator.

If you can, I suggest using a PS2 with the right recording equipment, PS2 emulation isn't perfect and it's been a pain to get things a good quality.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hah, I like how the game tells you "BUY BETTER MECHS FOR THESE GUYS"

Xabungle is basically the best fyi.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Caphi posted:

That they're pretty much the same thing, basically.
This sort of little detail is what sets SRW apart from what you'd expect a crossover anime game to be.

It'd be perfectly reasonable to have all the characters attacks play archived clips from the show, mayve a couple for each attack for variety. However, Banpresto does more then that. They went and paid Wataru Takagi to record lines for Garrod to say, including ones involving crossover elements like Garrod fighting Xabungle enemies.

For Z, in particular, they had every line possible be recorded just for this game. The only archived clips they used were for characters whose voice actors are dead. (RIP Hirotaka Suzuoki :911:)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ardeem posted:

Throwing a box of ammo is funnier.

Is there any chance of a real rout update soon, or are we waiting for a new page?

Planning on one tomorrow, and a new page would be nice too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Setsuko Route Chapter 3 Prologue

Last time on Super Robot Wars Z, Glory Star ends up in a weird place, with hijacked Mobile Suits and all that other fun stuff. Now they're on board the ZAFT ship Mirvana as this plucky group tries to get their stolen mechs back.

Current Top Aces:

1. Denzel - 9 Kills
2. Toby - 7 Kills
3. Setsuko - 6 kills
4. Talia - 1 Kill

We got a part last mission! Parts are equipable items that can go onto mechs to improve their performance. A mech can have one to four part slots.
Generally the stronger the machine, the less part slots it has. For today we give Setsuko a Booster, which increases a the Virgola 3's movement by 1.

But, of course, we're goint to have some new units to play around with this stage. So let's have a look at them!

Shinn Asuka - ZGMF-X56S/γ Blast Impulse
Voiced by Kenichi Suzumura(Japanese), Matthew Erickson(English)

Skills:
*????
* Blocking - If the mech is equipped with a shield and/or sword, can use Sword Block and Shield Block. Sword Block will neutralize melee and missile attacks, while Shield Block will reduce damage taken. Activation rate is based off the skill stat.
* Battle Spirit - Starting from the second turn, will gain 3 Will every turn.

Spirit Commands
*Focus(15) - Increases hit and evasion rates by 30%

Squad Leader Bonus
*+10% Counterattack damage, +20% Critical rate

Shinn is overall a strong, versatile chracter. He has the stats to go both melee and ranged, and will often be doing both. The Impulse fits him pretty well, and I like this unit a lot. It actually has multiple forms, as last mission we saw the Sword Impulse, but we can't switch between them right now. We will soon though. One thing of note is that Shinn is actually fairly surviable for a real robot pilot. Between the Imuplse's Variable Phase Shift Armor (Which greatly reduces non-beam attacks), his decent skill, Blocking, and having both a sword and shield

Lunamaria Hawke - ZGMF-1000/A1 Gunner ZAKU Warrior
Voiced by Maaya Sakamoto(Japanese), Maryke Hendrikse(English)

Skills:
* Prevail(Level 2) - As the character takes damage, hit rate, evasion, defense, and critical rate will increase.
* Support Attack(Level 1) - When adjacent to an allied character before having attacked that turn, can perform a Support Attack after the ally attacks. The support attack will be slightly weaker then a regular attack.

Spirit Commands
* Strike(30) - The caster will have 100% Hit rate for that turn.

Squad Leader Bonus
*+20% Attack power during Support Attack

Luna here's just strong enough that if you want you can make her a regular squad leader. At the very least, she's a great force multiplier with that Squad Leader bonus. Even if just you're using her as a squadmate, always switch her to the leader when she's doing Support Attacks. Her biggest weakness is the massive cost of her Strike Spirit Command. A single casting of it right now will drain all of her SP. You probably want to prioritize accuracy for her, to minimize the times you need to cast that absurdly expensive spell.

Rey za Burrel - ZGMF-1001/M Blaze ZAKU Phantom
Voiced by Toshihiko Seki(Japanese), Kirby Morrow(English)

Skills:
* Will +(Evade) - Pilot will gain an additional point of will every time the pilot successfully evades an enemy attack.
* Hit & Away - Pilot will be able to move after attacking

Spirit Commands:
* Focus(15) - Increases hit and evasion rates by 30%

Squad Leader Bonus
*+10% Accuracy and Evasion rate

This guy starts out strong stat wise, but he's not going to be able to keep up to Shinn and Luna. His biggest strength right now is innate Hit & Away, which is always a good skill for people without strong post movement attacks. That long range Tri attack will come in handy.

Talia Gladys - Minerva
Voiced by Mami Koyama(Japanese), Venus Terzo(English)
Arthur Trine - Minerva Subpilot
Voiced by Hiroki Takahash(Japanese), Jonathan Holmes(English)
Meyrin Hawke - Minerva Subpilot
Voiced by Fumiko Orikasa(Japanese), Nicole Bouma(English)

Skills(Talia):
* Prevail(Level 1) - As the character takes damage, hit rate, evasion, defense, and critical rate will increase.
* Support Attack(Level 1) - When adjacent to an allied character before having attacked that turn, can perform a Support Attack after the ally attacks. The support attack will be slightly weaker then a regular attack.
* Commander(Level 1) - Allies in an area (denoted by yellow squares when highlighting the character) have an increased hit and evasion rate. The size of the area and bonus increases by level.

Spirit Commands(Talia):
* Strike(20) - The caster will have 100% Hit rate for that turn.
* Accel(10) - The caster gains +2 movement for one move action.

Spirit Commands(Arthur)
* Vigor(25) - The caster regains 30% of Max HP.

Spirit Commands(Meyrin)
* Scan(1) - Reveals an enemy squad's stats without having to fight them
* Trust(20) - Restore 2500 HP to an ally.

Squad Leader Bonus
*-10% damage taken for adjacent squads

Meet our first battleship! Battleships are basically the third catagory of unit. They're massive units, having the most HP of any type. A battleship will, at minimum, have 10k HP. They can tank hits pretty well with that. Finally, battlerships have multiple pilots, as such having large ammounts of support spirit commands to throw out. Of course, their downsides are that they tend to be a bit innaccurate, as well not the strongest units around. Also most of their attacks aren't post movement, and often a battleship getting blown up means game over. Finally, battleships can not be in squads. A ship will always stand alone. Overall Battleships are support units.

The Minerva is overall a basic, sturdy ship. There's not a ton of variety in them, so we'll mainly be using Talia's Command skill to boost the main fighters accuracy.

Now that we've met our new units, onto the stage itself!

The attackers from space sweep up the ZAFT guard easily (considering we already destroyed half of it); the commander is Neo Roanoake himself, who smirks that it's just his job. He and his ship's runner exposit about their little spies, Sting and his buddies - the so-called "Extended," children created and bred for war.

The Extended return with their Gundams. Neo gives Stella the word of praise she was so desperate for.

The ZAFT ship approaches the group they're calling "Bogey One", and Neo admits it's a fine piece of work - "so let's save it for later."

He and his forces are pulling out.

Captain Gladys wants to go after them with the Minerva and asks Durandal to return to the colony, but considering the situation, Durandal has no intention to sit back and wait for information. He would very much like to be part of this operation as Chairman. Gladys agrees, if he feels so strongly about it.

As for those mysterious three machines? She's left her first mate Arthur Trine in charge of handling them...

Their pilots are already being taken in, but Vino's more curious about their mechs. He's pretty sure they're not Mobile Suits! Yoran protests that there aren't any humanoid weapons platforms other than Mobile Suits that are deployed in real combat, but Vino is definitely certain they're not based on any Mobile Suit technology on record. What if they're aliens?

Yoran again tells him not to be stupid. Meanwhile, he was going to check on the other mecha they captured, the Zaku. Lunamaria herself is taking care of that; they say the pilot's not in ZAFT, and for all we know, he might be an incredibly dangerous terrorist.

She keeps her gun trained on the cockpit as she orders them to deboard.

Alex informs them why he took the Zaku and who his charge is, the representative of ORB. In fact, Rep. Athha needs medical attention, and he would like to speak with Chairman Durandal.

Elsewhere in the ship, the Glory Star is trying to explain their situation to Arthur. The problem is that he still doesn't understand that the Earth Federation, which they're from, is slightly different from the Naturals' OMNI a.k.a. the Earth Union (oh, god), because he has never actually heard of the Earth Federation. What rock do you have to be living under to be from the Earth Sphere and not even know what the Federation is? On the flip side, this is like no colony we've ever even heard of, and Arthur doesn't know how we've never heard of PLANT.

He asks if we're "Naturals," and Toby takes it as an insult! So we don't know what "Coordinator" means, either, he supposes. Again Toby is confused - "what do they coordinate, exactly?" This is getting weird.

But duty calls Arthur; Captain Gladys wants him on the bridge. Specifically, if the Minerva is going into her maiden battle, she needs all hands on the bridge. We'll have to sort this out later; Arthur and Denzel both really wish we weren't stopping the discussion at such an awkward time, but at least Arthur no longer considers us dangerous.

Toby wishes him luck, since this would be a sucky time to go down with the ship; Arthur replies that they won't lose "no matter who our enemies are."

But as he leaves, Denzel wonders if he would face a force like the Vegans and still have the nerve to say that. "Are they too proud to take help, or are they just underestimating the enemy?"

In the meantime, though, Denzel and Toby can't make heads or tails of what's going on here; Setsuko starts to say something, but says it was a ridiculous idea and clams up. So Denzel, being a good commander, takes it upon himself to remind her that they're the Glory Star, R&D pilots, and their job requires them to consider all kinds of possibilities. Besides, at this point, he'd welcome just about any idea whatsoever.

So Setsuko, very carefully, pitches her idea: they've been transported to another world, like a parallel universe.

"I did say we need to consider all possibilities," groans Denzel, "but..."

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 29, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Look man, giant robots, psychic teenagers, bizarre super energy sources, alien invaders, giant robots powered by psychic teenagers, all perfectly reasonable, scientific things.

Jumping to the next universe? That just don't make sense.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Herr Tog posted:

I am diggin the real robot run but it keeps running into acronym hell.

Now I am wondering if there is another LP in the forum of another SRW game.

We're with the SEED guys right now, they love their acronyms :v:

As for other SRW LPs, Caphi, who's writing the story summaries you're seeing for Setsuko's route, is also doing a Z2 LP. while Brunom finished an LP of W.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Chapter 3: Two Worlds

Neo's realized that our ship is faster than theirs; they'll have no choice but to turn around and fight, and here's as good a place as they're likely to have available. Ian is more concerned about deploying the Extended; Neo assures him they've rested enough, but the very fact that they need to be checked up after use is a bad sign on its own.

And aren't they mentally unstable, or something? Neo promises they are at least fit for the job they've been given; they'll carry out missions and obey his orders. Besides, you can't blame them for being under development. "The ship is," he muses at that, "and so are the Mobile Suits and the pilots. And even the world."

The Minerva catches up to Bogey One; even its crew is surprised by its speed, but Talia realizes that they could have kept us running for much longer. They wanted to engage us here, and now we have no choice but to fight; she deploys Shinn's MS team!

Rey and Lunamaria deploy in their Zakus...

Followed by Shinn in the Impulse, this time with the Blast Silhouette.

The Extended recognize the Gundam from Armory One, and apparently, it can switch its parts out as it deploys. Auel figures they can snag that machine while they're at it.

Meylin lets Shinn (and us) know that as long as the Minerva is nearby, the Impuse can swap Silhouettes at any time - but it can only use each one once each time it deploys. Anyway, this may be a trap, but we have no choice but to fight for those Gundams and for our lives. Besides, they'll be okay - they've earned their ZAFT red uniforms.

Something about the red strikes a chord with Alex. Like Durandal, Cagalli insisted on being on the bridge to see the enemy for herself. This all seems to be going according to Neo's plan, though - "all the players are on stage," he cackles.

Right! Here we go. Our objective is simple enough. It's the Battle Mastery that's the real trick. We have two options, we can destroy Ian in his Battleship, or we can defeat Sting, Auel, and Stella, and once we beat those three we blow up Neo. Either way we have to do it in four turns. For reasons I'm going to do the second.

I begin moving people up, and Rey has the honor of being the first person to get in shooting range of the Daggers.

And we're off to a grand start.

Luckily, the Dagger's are hilariously weak and exist solely to get our heroes Will up. Finish him off Luna.

Wonderful, next!

Shinn's going to stab this Dagger now.

He's a reliable guy like that.

On the enemy phase the Dagger tries to fire back.

It ends predictably.

Darn it Luna! Not buying any upgrades might not have been the absolute best idea, but whatever.

You better not screw this one up Rey.

OK I guess you've redeemed yourself.

The Extended kids move up, and it's back to our turn.

Shin figures that, if the mothership falls, they can settle this battle in one move; he calls Rey and Lunamaria and warns that he’s going to charge at it.

Lunameria warns him against being too impatient, they must first take out the defenders.
Shin tries to protest but Rey tells him to calm down as he also agrees with Lunameria’s assessment; he adds that, to accomplish out the missions they’re given, they must carry out their roles in battle.
He reminds Shin that he’s not fighting alone here.
Shin acquiesces and apologizes to Lunameria, though she doesn't really mind, as long as he understood what she was saying, she’s glad.
With that, she asks Shin and Rey to show the power of Zaft’s “red coats” to these thieves.

Neo sees them breaking formation and takes special interest in the white mobile suit - Rey realizes he’s being watched.

Right. Now then I move the Minerva up to the front, and target a Dagger.

Finishing off these mooks is pretty simple.

I have Rey handle the one next to him, since he has Hit & Away I can still move him up to meet the Extended afterwords, I make sure to keep him in range of Talia's Command.

I move Shinn and Luna up, but don't attack. Next turn I'll be doing the actual fighting.

Stella targets Luna, and we can see what a pain it is to hit these people. Especially with Luna, who can only afford Strike once. Oh well, gotta roll the dice this turn.

: Get back here, thief! I couldn't deploy at Armory One, so I've got a lot to make up for!

Darn it Luna! At least you managed to get a hit in.

Auel, meanwhile, targets the Minerva.

: They stole our Second Series mechs and now they're using them against us...
: And I doubt they're being piloted by mere Naturals.
: But those suits were meant for the Minerva. We can't let them go.
: Focus fire ahead! Stop those mechs!

And of course I miss the 70% odds...

Let's see if Shinn does any better!

: You won't get away! We'll shoot you down and find out who's behind this!

At... at least he didn't get hit...

I think we know how this one is going to end.

: Gil's aboard the Minerva. I won't let you get anywhere near it.
: You're...
: What was that? That pilot... can sense me?
: Who the hell are you, white baldy?

Slightly better than expected, Rey actually dodged!

Time to break out the big guns on my turn. Shinn casts Focus while Meyrin heals her sister with Trust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsL7bxupsVY
Shinn's best attacks have a high energy cost, I can only use Kerberos once more before the Blast Impulse is drained. That's less of a problem then you'd think.

Next I move the Minerva over here, it's still not attacking this turn, but I need it to be in a better position for blasting things the next.

Rey uses Focus himself. One nice thing about Focus is that it lasts until the next player phase, so Shinn and Rey will have its benefits even on the enemy turn. With it shooting Auel will be easy. Spreading the damage around is important, it's much faster have two units attack two different enemies so both die from counterattacks on the enemy phase then it is to focus on one enemy.

: The enemy is probably affiliated with the Union. I'd wager they're a special espionage team.
: This may go deeper than we could have imagined.

It's not much, but damage is damage, and Rey's in a stronger position for the next next turn.

Finally for this round, I take a risk. I don't want to use Strike yet, so I just have to hope the coin flip ends up in my favor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDcs0_kVPCo
It works! :toot:

Enemy phase starts with Stella targeting Luna.

This results in the first Extended kid getting shot down! Good, because...

:siren:SECRET ALERT: Stella should absolutely get shot down on this stage.:siren:

Neo calls Stella back to the ship; she protests, so Auel helpfully needles her. "You wanna die?"

But the mere thought of her own death sends Stella nearly catatonic, and it's all Neo can do to calm her down and get her to pull out. Ian was right - at least one of them is still dangerously unstable...

Riiiighht. Back to the fighting. Talia better redeem herself this time.

Of course not. I'm definitely regretting not buying these guys some accuracy upgrades right about now.

Shinn, of course, does much better.

So does Rey. All it took was 15 SP.

On my turn, as you can see, the Impulse is low on energy. Luckily, I can fix that easily!

As mentioned earlier, the Impulse can swap what Silhouette pack it has equipped out in the field. Granted, it can only do so once per stage. So once I swap I can't use Blast Impulse for the rest of the level, but that isn't a big problem.

And voila! Not only have I switched to the Sword Impulse, the Impulse itself is completely recharged! Shinn is free to continue blasting away with his best attacks now, and we'll need them to get the Battle Mastery!

It's time to bust out the big guns. Everyone casts the needed Spirit Command, even Luna uses Strike. :getin:

It's time to finish things here, with Shinn and Luna starting the barrage.

: I won't let a Mobile Armor beat me!
: You've got zeal, I'll give you that, but you won't win just throwing your mech around.
: Wha-
: I guess I'll be taking it while I'm here!

Neo calls Shinn "Zaft no Ace-kun" which for some reason amuses me. He's just so friendly about it.

Rey weakens Auel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnHftql5hjU
For Talia to get sweet revenge on this jackass avoiding all her attacks.

And not even a Counter getting off can save Sting from Luna.

Enemy phase comes and this is the moment that will make or break me. If Rey misses, I lose the Battle Mastery

Luckily, I manage to pull it off!

Neo decides it's time to peel off and instructs Ian to execute according to plan.

Ian flies his ship behind an asteroid.

Naturally, Talia sends the Minerva charging after them...

as Ian drops anchor onto the asteroid, then swings around it at full speed, evading the Minerva entirely -

and, at Neo's instruction, pelting it with missiles, pinning the Minerva under shards of space rock.

The ship's pinned down; Shinn's team moves to help it, but Neo cuts them off.

Suddenly, Alex asks how many of the ship's port thrusters are operational. Six, says Talia, but it's not going to get them anywhere. Alex knows that - unless they also fire the port cannons into the asteroid, using the force of the impact to break the Minerva free of the rock on top of it.

Arthur objects that the ship will sustain damage, but Alex points out that the ship is already immobilized and under fire.

Over Arthur's continued protests, Talia agrees to give it a shot.

Long story short, it works, at the instant Ian fires his big guns too.

Talia's ready to get back to proper ship combat with the bogeys, but Meylin's sensors are going nuts, and she doesn't think it's a malfunction - something really weird is happening to the surrounding space. Rey and Shinn confirm their suits are getting the same readings. Neo and Ian noticed the same thing, too, and Neo decides to bolt before things get dangerous. He's looking forward to the time our paths cross again, the white boy in particular.

The Minerva's damage leaves it unable to pursue, and space begins to twist...

There's a burst of multicolored light and a high-pitched squeal - the same sound Shinn remembers from Armory One before the last event hit.

Captain Bright Noa and his men are terribly confused. The last thing they knew, they were fighting with the Titans, and then some sort of anomaly happened and they were here. They can't get their bearings,

But they can recognize a Gundam and Zakus when they see it.

Unfortunately, the Titans came with them, and they've decided that said Gundam and Zakus must be AEUG machines, and the ship a new AEUG model. Captain Jamaican orders them to open fire.

Emma is the only one who thinks maybe they should ask questions first; Jamaican shouts her down, barking that they can't risk those machines indeed being AEUG. Besides, Jerid points out that the Argama and its platoon are definitely AEUG, at least.

The Titans fire on both ZAFT and AEUG. Meylin asks Talia for her orders; Durandal steps in and suggests we side with the guys who are under fire rather than the ones who shot first. They may both be strangers, but in that case our priority should be self-defense.

Quattro reports to Bright that the bogeys (ZAFT) are moving to back them up, but can't figure out who they are. Like Durandal, Bright judges following suit would be most prudent to not die. He orders his pilots to focus on the Titans, but not to take their eyes off the unknowns.

Durandal seems to have a clue what's going on - "visitors," he calls them.

And we have a new objective! Reduce Jamaican's HP below 10,000.

The AEUG guys are neutral to us right now. We can't control them but they won't attack us. They just end their turn not moving.

As shown here, with me not being able to select anything but if the animations are on or off. Also hahaaha this Titan thinks he can hurt Quattro.

The Glory Star's getting rocked around inside the ship; Toby sure hopes Arthur knows what he's doing. Meanwhile, Denzel's been pondering Setsuko's theory, and despite his better judgment, it actually sounds like the best one we've got.

The monitor turns on, and we can now see that the ship's in combat with the Titans and AEUG forces. Toby instantly cheers up, since this means we're in our universe after all, but Denzel reminds him that they may simply have come the same way we did. There's no way to tell for sure with just what's showing up on the screen.

Luckily, just then, the door unlocks.

Denzel makes his decision - it's not safe in here, and we'll get more information if we go outside for ourselves. Sorry, Arthur!

Oh, but what is this.

The Virgolas deploy from the Minerva; Arthur demands to know how they got through the lock, while Durandal sits silently and inconspicuously. Denzel hails the Titans and asks them to stand down, but they figure we just turned coat; Jamaican responds that he will not suffer us to interfere with their mission, by force if necessary. Denzel pitches Setsuko's parallel universe theory, which makes a lot of sense to Arthur, but such a ridiculous excuse just convinces the Titans we really are traitors, and terrible traitors at that.

They open fire! Toby suggests we fight back; the AEUG isn't the one trying to blow us up. Denzel, on the other hand, remembers that we belong to the Federation; we're not so desperate we're going to join up with the AEUG just yet.

"Come on," whines Toby. "You cannot be this hard-headed! That thing's gotta be like titanium!"

But then, we're not going to try to join the Titans and shoot down the AEUG in a place like this either. Denzel grins. "We're going to fight with the Minerva. How do you feel about my hard head now, Toby?"

The Glory Star will fight in defense and interest itself, no more or less; Denzel will take it from there after we're out of the fire. Once again, though, we're not trying to explode any cockpits!

Talia's glad to see we're helping, and interested to see that we know who both of the others are. Bright's confused, but he, too, decides that the best thing for now is to finish the battle, get to safety, and figure things out from there. Shinn's team gets orders to ignore us and focus on the Titans; he asks Rey how he feels, but Rey's response is a flat "Captain's orders. All we need to do is follow them."

Quattro is watching the flow of the battlefield, amazed that all these sides can work together without exchanging a word. Kamille can't put it into words, but he thinks it'll be okay. Apolly figures it's Newtype senses, but the words don't taste right to Kamille. And there are the same kinds of people, people worth trusting, among the Titans, too, he feels - people like Emma Sheen...

And Emma is beginning to see how this battlefield is a symbol of the Titan's rampage - shooting first and asking questions later, going so far as to fire on their own units if they get in the way...

With that the AEUG guys are under my control! So I move Kamille down to start the dismantling of the Titans Mobile Suits.

Bam!

I keep Roberto and Apolly near Quattro, moving the Argama down for better Command usage, while Quattro gets to cut another Zaku.

Under the Command Aura enemies are getting single digit hit rates on Quattro by the way.

Up Setsuko goes to commit treason! Good times.

Attacks look different if done in air or space vs done on the ground!

I don't know if Will effects evasion, or if the Zaku is just that bad, but the ZAFT fellows will do just fine against them even lacking any SP.

Anyways finish that guy off Shinn.

Good to see you being so reliable.

I... I give up. Sure, Luna, get hit on 20% odds now and forever. :shepicide:

Make me feel better Denzel, kill that guy please. Or not, are you still going for that whole "not hitting cockpits" thing.

Talia takes a potshot at the Zaku...

For Toby to finish off. Oh yeah, the Minerva's CWIS guns inflict an accuracy down debuff on the enemy.

Onto the enemy phase, they think that targeting Apolly will help them. Sadly, the Titans are even eclipsed by our redshirts.

Next!

Kacricon decided to attack Shinn, this isn't really going to end well for him. Even if Kacricon hits Shinn he can take the hit and smack back with a sword designed to cut battleships in half.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0yAdIu6Wes
Like so.

OK Luna, I don't think you can take a hit from Lila, so please dodge.

: I really only boarded the Alexandria to babysit, but this might be fun after all.
: Watch close, Jerid! I'll show you how to fight in space!

Whew...

On my turn again I swap to the Force Impulse. It's a bit weaker in pure power then the other two forms, but it has its advantages in a higher movement, being able to fly, and the strongest TRI attack and a post movement ALL attack. In general Shinn should start the battle in the Force Impulse, switching off to the other Shilloette packs once he's gotten into battle and expended all his ammo on ALL attacks.

Kamille casts Focus to hit a certain jerk in the face.

: Got you, Kamille! And this time, I'm gonna crush you!
: Lt. Jerid!
: I owe you for taking the Mk.II from me at Gryps! And for that airport, too!
: You owe me? Where do you get off saying that after killing my mom!
: Look, that wasn't personal! It was part of the mission!
: But I'm still taking you down! I've got too much pride in it!
: That's ridiculous!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGU38JbtT0k

Next I shoot him with Quattro, unlike Kamille, Quattro doesn't need any SP to deal with this guy.

Finally, I think it's time for some revenge for Setsuko.

: You're gonna get a face full of the Titans' power, Glory Star!
: Hey, Jerry! You know space doesn't just step aside for an Earthborn rich kid, right?
: Gh... I keep losing control of the inertial moment stabilizer!
: 2nd. Lt. Ohara, relax! In zero Gs, when there's no ground under you, if you lose your head, you're dead meat!
: Roger that! They may be the Titans, but we're the Glory Star!
: I'll fight for the Virgolas!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZbHxAUhAa4

Meanwhile Shinn is blowing up Kacricon

Denzel and Toby get Ready.

And Denzel gets a new level of Prevail!

Apolly finishes off the Last Zaku, now all that's left is Emma and Jamaican.

Emma targets Kamille, however, I do not attack.
:siren:SECRET ALERT: Do not shoot down Emma on this stage.:siren:

: Is that 1st. Lt. Emma Sheen in that Mk.II?
: Kamille Bidan?
: 1st. Lt. Emma! You shouldn't be with the Titans!
: You were there! You saw what they did to my mom to take back the Mk.II!
: But...
: So you should know what kind of group the Titans are! Why...
: Even so, I...

: Put down your weapon, 1st. Lt. Emma! I don't want to fight you!
: Kamille Bidan…

When my turn comes up again, it's time to finish the stage, starting with Toby getting a hit in.

: You'll see how foolish it is for one squadron to take on the Titans!
: How can you... we're all in the Federation...
: That's the Titans for you. They think they have a monopoly on justice and a supremacy on power.
: We're just defending ourselves! And we'll do that even if we have to take on the Titans!
: Then stay cool, Toby. Don't forget we're only fighting to keep our skins.

Jamaican pulls out; he can't afford to lose the Alexandria given him by Colonel Bask. Emma, however, stays behind; Kamille escorts her black Mk. II into the Argama. The question is, what now?

That's also the question facing the Glory Star. The AEUG may be the enemy, but they're also the safer option. Denzel has another decision to make...

Wait, nope. The Virgola's sensors act up again, and before anyone can react, they're off in a burst of light, noise, and spacetime. Kamille and Quattro, of course, recognize the phenomenon. So does Durandal, and he says that if we were, indeed, "visitors from another world," great changes are in store for their world.

Before we go, let's check in with Durandal, who wants to make contact with that unknown ship (that would be the Argama - at this stage, everyone's unknown to everyone). In fact, he's going over personally, with Rey as his bodyguard, of course.

Cagalli accuses him of wanting their military strength for ZAFT's. Durandal seems surprised she even has to task; today's battles seem argument enough that they still need power to survive in the new world. Cagalli spits back that this battle started because ZAFT built those three mechs; does he want more of that death and destruction? "Didn't we swear an oath? To keep such things from ever happening again? To choose to move forward together as one?"

And suddenly, Shinn snaps, "Idealistic promises are a specialty of the Athhas, aren't they?"

There's a heavy silence; Cagalli is taken aback, and Shinn's crew is shocked that he raised his voice to Rep. Athha. Sinn stomps off as Durandal explains that Shinn is from ORB, that he lost his family when ORB fell and found his way to PLANT. Alex suggests she turn in - she must be weary, and needs her rest.

Durandal muses just for Alex's benefit, though, that of all the questions that have come up today, we may begin to grasp the truth if we make contact with the unknown - "that is, if they come to us without pretense. For instance, their names. A name represents an identity; if your name is a pretended one, perhaps your identity is a pretense as well, Alex. No, I should say..."

"Athrun Zala."

We'll tune back into the Glory Star and their new whereabouts in the next chapter.

------Extra Dialogue----

Bright vs Jamaican

: Cease fire! We have to ascertain the situation first!
: You won't get me to drop my guard like that! I'm not that naive!
: You see the world through your narrow lens, and judge everyone from your high horse... you're everything that's wrong with the Titans!

Glory Star vs Kacricon

: Come on, Glory Star! I'll turn your ugly little prototypes into space dust!
: I know you're trying to sound cool, but that is some outdated trash talk, 1st. Lieutenant!
: The Virgola are our pride and honor. We won't let you put a scratch on them!
: Look alive, 1st. Lieutenant! Give the Titans a demonstration of our GS Combat Maneuver!
: Yes, sir! I'll fight as a member of the Glory Star!

Glory Star vs Emma

: Do you understand that what you've done is a breach of military conduct?
: Come on, 1st. Lt. Emma! Are you telling me you think shooting your own units is proper conduct?
: That's...
: 1st. Lt. Emma, our first priority is gathering information. Now is not the time for combat.
: But we received an order to open fire.
: (She... she has her doubts, but she's still trying to carry out her orders.)
: (That's... what a soldier does...)
: As you wish, 1st. Lieutenant, but we will not lose the Virgola.
: The Glory Star will fight you, but strictly in self defense!w

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 20, 2016

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AradoBalanga posted:

Ah, the RNG's spite has arisen. :allears: I have a feeling this is only the beginning of Dr Pepper's love-hate relationship with the RNG. And Lunamaria is off to a good start on that.

On one hand, she hits at low odds, on the other, she gets hit at low odds.

Meh I'll just give her some HP upgrades.

AradoBalanga posted:

So, those green mechs the Titans use are called the Hizack. It's....literally an Earth Federation/Titans attempt at making the mobile suit that nearly kicked their asses senseless in the One Year War, the Zaku. There are two colorations: green (Titans) and navy blue (Earth Federation); yes, the green ones are exclusive to the Titans, as opposed to the deep blue colors that most of the Titans' mechs use (with the red Gabaldy Beta used by Lila being another exception).

Look man, they're Zakus. :colbert: Zaku is the bad guy mech and Zeta Gundam is anything but subtle, the Titans are eevviiilll so they use Zakus.

Alacron posted:

I feel like you could apply The New Yorker Rule and just respond to everything Jerid says with, "Christ what an rear end in a top hat"

This is true.

Jerid and Kamille's rivalry is predicated on Jerid being a jerk, and Kamille being a hot headed teenager in response. What follows is a series of petty slights mixed with killing each others loved ones.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I don't think I've ever actually bought any of the Will+ skills. I've never had a problem with gaining Will, and I'd rather use the skill slots for other things.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mission 3's been updated with a few extra story screenshots and some more translated battle dialogue that I didn't get when I played the mission the first time through.

-----
Bright vs Jamaican

: Cease fire! We have to ascertain the situation first!
: You won't get me to drop my guard like that! I'm not that naive!
: You see the world through your narrow lens, and judge everyone from your high horse... you're everything that's wrong with the Titans!

Glory Star vs Kacricon

: Come on, Glory Star! I'll turn your ugly little prototypes into space dust!
: I know you're trying to sound cool, but that is some outdated trash talk, 1st. Lieutenant!
: The Virgola are our pride and honor. We won't let you put a scratch on them!
: Look alive, 1st. Lieutenant! Give the Titans a demonstration of our GS Combat Maneuver!
: Yes, sir! I'll fight as a member of the Glory Star!

Glory Star vs Emma

: Do you understand that what you've done is a breach of military conduct?
: Come on, 1st. Lt. Emma! Are you telling me you think shooting your own units is proper conduct?
: That's...
: 1st. Lt. Emma, our first priority is gathering information. Now is not the time for combat.
: But we received an order to open fire.
: (She... she has her doubts, but she's still trying to carry out her orders.)
: (That's... what a soldier does...)
: As you wish, 1st. Lieutenant, but we will not lose the Virgola.
: The Glory Star will fight you, but strictly in self defense!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Stop stealing my luck! :argh:

The squad system is great, I love messing around and using them. Pity it's going to be a while before we can really work with them.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Setsuko Chapter 4 Part 1

Last time on Super Robot Wars Z, the Titans proved to be jerks and short sighted idiots. Glory Star ditched them, blowing up Jerid for funsies. Then they got teleported to somewhere else because, well, who knows? Weird things are happening.

Current Top Aces

1. Denzel
2. Toby
3. Setsuko

Since Denzel doesn't get the benefit of his Command skill, I give him this Magnetic Coating, which ups the Virgola's mobility by 10.

I then give each member of Glory star a point in Energy and Accuracy.

Onto the stage itself!

Our first introduction to Kappei Jin is him accosting a couple of girls he knows by calling them a "pair of pigs." Get used to this rear end in a top hat.

He even follows up by trying to convince them that they should be glad for his and Chiyonishiki's (the dog's) company; it's dangerous for a couple of girls to be on a train alone, don't you know!

Poor, sweet, innocent Michi thanks him for his concern, but Aki knows the score: Kappei's staying out of his house so he can skip out on chores.

She threatens to tell his mom, and Kappei begs her not to - "When she gets mad, even the Coordinators go running!" That's certainly no good. For the past two years, since the war, they've been taught in school not to discriminate between Naturals and Coordinators. Kappei is now focused instead on how totally awesome the war probably was. If PLANT staged an attack right now, he'd be first to sign up on the front lines. Michi, poor Michi, cowers at the thought, but Kappei pulls out the "hey we gotta defend ourselves!" line. "If they come at us, I'll fight ZAFT or monsters or even aliens!"

"Your little play war with Kozuki's gang is all the war you need," snorts Aki. Kappei whines that that war is extremely serious. Just then, Chiyonishiki starts barking...

And the sky is filled with light and a high-pitched scream of space.

Chapter 4: Alien Invasion

These four were just on the moon, fighting the Vegans as part of the Federation forces, when there was a knot in space...

And they've brought their enemies, including the Emperor of Vega and his adviser Gandal, with them! But this isn't going to stop either Emperor Vega or Duke Fleed from continuing their battle and trying to take each other down.
The Emperor intends to strike down his foe and return to his base to begin the invasion anew; Duke and his team will fight him in defense of the beautiful, bounteous planet called Earth!

OK! It's time to take care of these guys. Our mission is simple, blow up all the enemies. The Battle Mastery is reduce Emperor Vega's HP down below 10,000 in three turns. Of course, we have four new characters to play around with, and they'll be sticking with us for a while, so let's have a look at them!

UFO Robot Grendizer
Duke Fleed - Grendizer/Spazer
Voiced by Kei Tomiyama.

Skills:
* Support Attack(Level 1) - When Ajaciant to an allied character before having attacked that turn, can perform a Support Attack after the ally attacks. The support attack will be slightly weaker then a regular attack.
* Predict - At 130 Will, hit, evasion and critical hit rate increase

Spirit Commands:
* Invincible(10) - The next attack that hits the caster will do 10 damage.

Squad Leader Bonus
*+10% Accuracy rate -10% Damage taken

Duke Fleed here is our very first Super Robot. The Grendizer will hit hard, and be able to take hits really well. The Grendizer can also transform! Docking with the Spazer, it can then fly. This gives it extra movement and a little more mobility at the cost of attack power. Use the Spazer to get up to the fight and then switch back to Grendizer and start Rocket Punching and Space Thundering things. Duke Fleed himself is a great pilot overall to, fitting his Super Robot. Strong melee and good defense, plus his Squad Leader bonus is great.

UFO Robot Grendizer
Maria Fleed - Drill Spazer
Voiced by Rihoko Yoshida

Skills:
* ESP(Level 2) - Increased hit and evasion rates. Amount increased goes up with the level of the skill.
* Prevail(Level 1) - As the character takes damage, hit rate, evasion, defense, and critical rate will increase.
* Backup Attack - Platoon attacks do 20% more damage

Spirit Commands:
* Alert (10) - The caster gains 100% evasion rate for the next attack that targets the caster.
* Trust(20) - Restore 2500 HP to an ally.

Squad Leader Bonus
*+20% Counterattack power

Maria is, well, she's always going to be a Squad Supporter. But she's a pretty decent one. She has innate Backup Attack which helps a ton for being a Squadmate, and with the Marine Spazer having Repair capabilities, she grants her squad a 10% HP regen at all times. Pair her up with her brother and things will go nicely. Her Squad Leader bonus is pretty great, pity there's little reason to use her as the leader most of the time.

UFO Robot Grendizer
Hikaru Makiba - Marine Spazer
Voiced by Chiyoko Kawashima

Skills:
* Support Defend (Level 1) - If adjacent to an ally on the enemy phase, if an attack will hit the ally, the character will perform a Support Defense and the attack will hit the character at reduced damage instead. The number of times this can be performed depends on the skill's level.
* Guard - At 130 Will the character will take 20% less damage.

Spirit Commands:

Squad Leader Bonus
-30% Damage taken when Support Defending

Yeahhh Hikaru is pure support, even moreso then Maria. The Marine Spazer has a resupply ability. This means that Hikaru can refill a units energy and ammo, at the cost of 10 Will for them. It's not post movement, which can be a bit of a pain. On the plus side any squad she's in will gain a free 10% Energy regen.

UFO Robot Grendizer
Kouji Kabuto - Double Spazer
Voiced by Hiroya Ishimaru

Skills:
* Resolve - Pilot starts the stage with +5 Will
* Will +(Damaged) - Pilot gains 2 Will every time they are hit by an attack.

Spirit Commands:

Squad Leader Bonus
*-20% Damage taken

Kouji is a great pilot stuck in a mediocre unit. The Double Spazer is the toughest and most agile of the Spazers, but it's still a Squad mate unit. Heck I'd say it's the least useful of the three because it doesn't have any Repair or Resupply capabilities. He'll do well in it right now due to his stats, but that machine is holding him back.

Right, now that we know our new guys, it's time to get through to Emperor Vega. First we have to go through these grunts.

Kouji gets the honors of being the first to blow up one of these things.

They're hilariously weak.

They're basically one shotted.

Except for Hikaru, the weak link in our chain. Even she nearly kills them.

But even then she dodges at 60% hit rates, good job I guess?

Aki's trying to get Kappei to get away from the battle, but he thinks it's the best thing ever. You don't get to see UFOs every day!

Whoa, UFOs? The girl thought they were just ZAFT mecha, but that's stupid, says Kappei. Everyone knows tube ships and saucer ships are UFOs. It also seems like the one with the horns is on our side. "Go, go, hero aliens!" cheers Kappei. "Beat up those evil aliens!"

>
Back onto the enemy phase, this guy's trying to get revenge on Hikaru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GV1sOwaKSg
It doesn't really amount to much, but there is something of note here. The Vegan UFO grunts are voiced by freaking Nobuyuki Hiyama of GaoGaiGar fame. That's hilarious.

All the courage in the world doesn't mean much when you miss the guy who wants you to hit him, and is then one shot by his weakest attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5OJtD0Dacc
These guys exist solely to bring our Will up.

Remember that the Drill Spazer regenerates 500 HP a turn.

Long story short, every enemy UFO that attacked us died, leaving only these three by virtue of not getting in attack range.

Kouji's finally noticed Kappei cheering. This is no time for spectators!

Maria's miffed that the Federation hasn't send them backup. As it turns out, Hikaru's been trying to contact their base, the Extraterrestrial Research Lab, for the whole battle with absolutely no response. They haven't been taken over by the Dinosaur Empire, have they? Kouji is sure Ryoma and Tetsuya have still got a handle on the Dinosaur situation. But then, why can't they reach the lab?

And Hikaru is reading more mecha on approach...

The Glory Star is glad to see a familiar face again - "Woo! In the middle of the storm, we find the lord of space!" cheers Toby. Does this mean we're back in our universe? Denzel orders an analysis of the surroundings.

It comes back as 82.3% consistent with Fujisawa in Japan - low, too low to make sense unless this is a different Fujisawa.

Duke calls up the Federation robots and requests backup, and it definitely sounds like he's in the same boat we are. As we discuss that, Kouji interrupts that they don't have all day. It's the enemy leader, this is no place to be chicken. Denzel admits he's got a point; parallel universe or not, the Vegans are hostile invaders and it's our job to fight them. Besides, as soldiers, we have to protect those civilians!

OK! Glory Star is ready to start smacking aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCk6oBsmAtE

Darn it just barely survived.

Annnd the RNG decides to start messing with Setsuko, great.

Back to the easy part of blowing up Guy UFO.

And now they're gone too.

Let's use Scan to get a good look at our main enemies, Emperor Vega and Gandal.

Vega here is piloting his battleship, with a lot of HP for this stage of the game. Luckily, we only have to remove 15000 of it. And then I forget to look at Gandal's stats. :downs:

Onto the enemy phase, we start getting targeted by the big guys.

:stare: Geez Duke! Did you steal Setsuko's luck?

Denzel finishes off the one that hit Setsuko last turn.

Gandal targets Duke.

: Duke Fleed! All I have to do is destroy you and the Earth will lose its greatest weapon and be forced to surrender!
: But I won't let that happen! I will not die until peace is restored to the whole universe!
: Gandal! You must destroy that accursed Duke Fleed at once!
: I know, Lady Gandal! Let me handle it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPisXT26Mq0
Yes, Gandal has a tiny woman named Lady Gandal living in his head. :wtc:

Next Vega himself aims for Duke!

: Get ready, Emperor Vega! The Vegan Imperial Army will be destroyed today!
: Silence, Duke Fleed! Because of you, my daughter Rubina was...
: Rubina wanted peace! You're the one that dashed her hpoes!
: I hate myself for being powerless to save her... but I hate you too, Emperor Vega!
: To save this planet... and to restore peace to the whole universe! Emperor Vega, I will destroy you!

And hey, we're about a fifth of the way already with one attack.

Of course, I have to do all that damage in a single turn now. Will I make it?

...find out next time!

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 29, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Astro Nut posted:

Also drat Kappei, kid is lucky he isn't in War In The Pocket.

Zambot 3 was directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Setsuko Chapter 4 Part 2

Right, we have one round to do a fair bit of damage Emperor Vega. But there's also a bit more, I want to blow up Gandal, he has drops a part for my mechs, and if I deal with Vega first I won't get the part.

Also I have Hikaru blow up this Saucer Beast because why not?

Savor every kill you get Hikaru.

Next I have Kouji cast Alert, he's going to attack Gandal.

Wait, what's this? A new attack has appeared on Kouji's attack menu! It's a Combination attack between the Double Spazer and Grendizer. Combinations attacks are special attacks that some units have, they require two specific mechs to be adjacent or in the same squad. They also drain energy from both mechs, which can be costly. Of course, these extra conditions are worth it, because they tend to be among the strongest attacks available for a unit. Since I need to kill things quickly, energy isn't a concern, it's time to use them.

: Kouji Kabuto! You've been a thorn in my side too long, but that ends today!
: I don't wanna hear it, Gandal! You've been attacking Earth for too long, and you did it first!
: But when I take you down, that Lady Gandal in your head's going down with you!
: Grr! Gandal, destroy him right now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8fXGFFsxYo
So there we go, Double Spazer's Combo attack is nice against aerial enemies, though sadly I think the Double Spazer is probably going to end up on the bench while Marine and Drill Spazer's stick around due to their awesome repair and resupply abilities.

Also I think Baron Ashura and Gandal should have a tea party. Heck give them an anime if you're going to cash in in the dumb "moe girls doing things" trend. Hire me Toei.

Next Denzel casts Invincible and takes aim for Emperor Vega!

: So this is the famous flagship of the Vegan Imperial Army!
: We got our asses kicked when the Vegans had set up on the dark side of the moon. Now it's payback time!
: The enemy has thick armor and heavy weaponry. I can't find any way to approach!
: Remember, 1st. Lt. - even the biggest warship falls if you take down the bridge!
: Roger! I'll focus all my fire there!
: This may not be our world, but these guys are still our enemies! We can't afford to fail!

Sorry Emperor Vega, you're dealing with Glory Star now. :kamina:

A casting of Sense.

Setsuko uses Focus while Maria casts Trust to heal her up

:sigh: She... she gets better, I promise.

On to better things, it's time for Maria to finish off Gandal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1SwJF4jEgQ

With that done Duke casts Invincible, we're ready to get the Battle Mastery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoG8tb7Hq6U

And that's how it's done ladies and gentlemen.

Emperor Vega decides to make a tactical retreat. Duke's about to blow him up "in the name of all those ruined worlds, and in the name of all the citizens of Planet Fleed", but Vega warns him that he'll regret it if he strikes him down.

Just then, new creatures drop from the sky. They're nothing Team Grendizer has ever seen before - not Vegans, not Dinosaur robots. The Emperor doesn't understand where they might have come from without him, ruler of the whole galaxy, knowing about it. Gandal advises his Emperor to take the opportunity to escape!

Which they do with a hearty "Remember this, Duke Fleed! I'll get you someday!"

Duke asks Denzel for any data on those robots, but we, too, have nothing. The only thing that's for sure is that they aren't Earth robots either.

"Come on," cries Toby. "Aliens in an alien universe? This is double freaky!"

(Toby is the best.)

The aliens suddenly start wrecking the city, and Kappei finally decides to book it. It no longer matters what they are; we have to stop them. But a new Earth with its own new threats...

OK then, now it's a simple enough objective, blow up these new mysterious aliens.

Buuuut I've already had everyone make their move this round, onto the next! Sorry Fujisawa, you'll just have to deal with the rampaging aliens a little longer.

The enemy phase is uneventful, two of them move up closer to us.

Luckily, one of them is within Denzel's range.

They really are fairly weak, and there's only four of them, this stage won't last much longer.

: 1st. Lt. Ohara! Don't forget to capture that data! We may have to keep fighting these things!
: They're big, but they move like potatoes! At this range, our little cuties aren't gonna get scratched!

Seriously, I think a few more points of Will or a bigger dice roll and Denzel would have straight up one shot it, then again, it is Denzel Hammer after all.

Anyways, Toby finishes it off with some overkill.

I start moving the Spazer's to the city, they can handle these mooks well enough.

m
: They aren't very strong. Are they scouts?

: I don't know who you are or where you came from, but if you want the Earth, you'll have to go through Kouji Kabuto!

Lacking anything better to do, Maria heals Kouji.

Naturally on the enemy turn, the two remaining scouts target the Marine Spazer.

Maybe I should have healed Hikaru, but whatever.

On my turn, Kouji blows up one of them.

: Ugh! Just when we were going to destroy Emperor Vega for good! How dare you!

While Maria blows up the other, and we're done!

Setsuko's suspicious; those aliens seemed light and lightly armed. Denzel suspects they were only scouts; with no enemy reinforcements in sight, Duke has to agree that's the most likely answer. But if they're not Vegans, who...

A Federation escort! Or so Kouji thinks, though he can't put his finger on the mechs they're using. Then the Alliance pulls weapons on them and orders the "aliens" to disarm and come with them. Kouji protests - giving them their first surprise: he speaks! - that he's human. The Alliance can't figure out how that works - does that make their machines newly-developed Coordinator mechs? Team Grendizer has no idea what a Coordinator is, of course.

Here we go again! Denzel manages to convince Duke and his team that they may as well disboard so we can explain in a more convenient setting.

But let's check on these people again! Durandal has just finished explaining that Coordinators are genetically enhanced and Naturals are, well, not; it's a lot to swallow, and as Quattro points out, if they believe that story, they also have to believe this is another world. Durandal understands, since he himself is having some issues with their story. The existence of aliens that they claim comes as a shock, but the story of the war with them is absolutely terrifying.

Now, what about Denzel Hammer and his squad? It seems that since they're Federation soldiers, they would be the enemy of Bright and his men. So it would seem, agrees Quattro, but it's important to remember the AEUG's enemy is not the whole Federation, only the subgroup known as the Titans. Durandal has encountered them, of course - the black team from that battle, the one that fired on both him and Bright without so much as a word. What they did in that battle is what the Titans do, amassing power to themselves and using it for their own ends - taking over the Earth Federation from its heart. AEUG opposes that, nothing more.

Durandal quite understands humans fighting a war of ideologies. He'll go so far as to say it's human nature, even during a war against extraterrestrials. And it's surely more civilized than a war of hate. At the same time, the war between Natural and Coordinator - a war between two species of humanity, one with power, one without - sounds very, very familiar to Quattro. But there's something different about Gilbert Durandal, ruler of PLANT, which itself rules one of those sundered halves of humanity. Can they trust him?

Ray takes a message from the Minerva - it seems Denzel's team has now been taken in by Alliance forces on Earth. They must have been warped there again. Durandal turns to Bright and asks him to remain with PLANT. Not as a military force, of course.

"You're only the first Visitor. And if we allow them all to their own devices, this world's balance of power will collapse."

Quattro, in a move that has already been echoed in Z2, advises Bright that they may as well accept Durandal's invitation, if only to wait and watch and learn more about this world. Durandal intends to send forces after the Titans, as well, for the same reason, and Bright intends to make a truce with them until they know more. PLANT itself is on a mission at the moment, but they won't demand Bright's cooperation in combat, and he pledges their cooperation as soon as they can spare the time.

Somehow, Quattro feels like they may be in another universe, but humanity never changes. "Which means we can't avoid fighting, even here."

And we finally meet Kappei's mom, who was worried sick, not that it bothers him. She lectures him for not realizing he only survived by sheer luck. What would she tell his father if he was killed while he was out on a fishing run? She apologizes to Aki and Michi; Aki actually speaks up and says that Kappei protected them.

Even then, the poor girls are shaken up, so she escorts them home. Kappei, being terrible, is miffed that they're not more grateful. His brother, Ichitaro ("Ichi-Ni"), explains that this is probably the first time they've ever seen live combat. Even during the big war two years ago, Japan was nearly unscathed.

Anyway, Kappei has some energy to burn off, so he's off to play with Kozuki. Ichi tries to stop him; their grandfather had something to say to him. Kappei figures screw that, it's probably a lecture, and runs away. But when he told Ichi to bring Kappei, he looked so serious. So sad...

So anyway, these things have got their scouting report back, and it suggests that the planet below is hardly defended except for just a few powerful weapons. The fat one is pleased; such a beautiful blue world would look even more beautiful on fire.

"The most wonderful party is about to begin! Mwohohohohohoho! Hohohohohohohohohoho!"

---------

Extra Dialogue

Kouji vs. Emperor Vega

: Emperor Vega! You'll have a lot of time to think about what you've done in Hell!
: Ngh! You dare speak so to me, ruler of the whole universe?
: You bet! The universe doesn't belong to anyone! Everyone who lives in it shares in it!
: I'm not letting you have Earth or the rest of the universe!

Hikaru vs Emperor Vega

: Foolish little girl! To imagine that you could defeat me, ruler of all the universe!
: I may not be strong on my own, but I'm not fighting alone!
: Duke Fleed! I will fight for my beloved Earth!

Maria vs Emperor Vega

: Well, well, Duke Fleed's sister! I'll butcher you while he watches!
: You won't get me or my brother!
: We will defeat you - for our first home of Fleed and our second home of Earth, and for the whole universe!

Duke vs Mysterious alien scouts

: They're not Vegan robots. Are we being invaded by another force?

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 11, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Is it a mistake?

Caphi does the story bits. v:v:v I just add screenshots and play the game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Annd Chapter 4 is updated with some typo fixing and extra battle dialogues.

------

Kouji vs. Emperor Vega

: Emperor Vega! You'll have a lot of time to think about what you've done in Hell!
: Ngh! You dare speak so to me, ruler of the whole universe?
: You bet! The universe doesn't belong to anyone! Everyone who lives in it shares in it!
: I'm not letting you have Earth or the rest of the universe!

Hikaru vs Emperor Vega

: Foolish little girl! To imagine that you could defeat me, ruler of all the universe!
: I may not be strong on my own, but I'm not fighting alone!
: Duke Fleed! I will fight for my beloved Earth!

Maria vs Emperor Vega

: Well, well, Duke Fleed's sister! I'll butcher you while he watches!
: You won't get me or my brother!
: We will defeat you - for our first home of Fleed and our second home of Earth, and for the whole universe!

Duke vs Mysterious alien scouts

: They're not Vegan robots. Are we being invaded by another force?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Setsuko Route Chapter 5

Last time on Super Robot Wars Z, Glory Star's continued warping around. Probably because Setsuko got Teleportitis or something (Let's see how many people get that one).They ended up getting arrested with a group of Super Robot pilots after fighting off aliens. Arrested by the Cosmic Era Earth Alliance. This will be fun.

Current Top Aces
1. Denzel
2. Kouji
3. Toby
4. Maria
5. Setsuko

With the newcomers here, I give them each a point of HP, Energy, and Accuracy.

Duke Fleed borrows Setsuko's Booster for this mission, he's going to need it.

I also give him a more permanent Chobham Armor, which ups his HP by 500 and his Armor by 100

I then give Toby this Anti-Dust Module, which ups the Virgola 2's Ground Ranking to S, mostly because it's there.

Kappei's old grandpa is still looking for him, but the kid's been running off early and getting home late. His grandmother is just glad he's an energetic little boy, but his mom plans to give him a stern talking to. Just because his dad is always out fishing is no excuse for him to act out.

Speaking of, she's glad old Heizaemon (whew) is finally done with his pottering around. He's been trying to find the legacy of their ancestors, you see, for months now, and he's made their families the laughing stock of the whole town as a result. But "is it really over," mumbles Heizaemon, "or has it just begun?"

Anyway, it's what he wants to talk to Kappei about - he might have found the text he was looking for. And if what's written there is the truth, he needs Ichitaro, and he needs to find that treasure quickly.

Meanwhile, Kouji is trying to convince the Alliance that they're Earthlings, but since the Extraterrestrial Research Lab doesn't exist in this universe, and more importantly, because their craft are unrecognized, their story isn't flying. Kouji can't believe they've fought so hard to protect the Earth for this.

Meanwhile, "Daisuke" asks Denzel what's going on. He's the same Duke Fleed, pilot of Grendizer, but he usually goes by his civilian identity of Daisuke Umon when not in the cockpit. Anyway, Denzel and Toby fill him and Hikaru in on the alternate world thing. And while our world is at the tail end of a long war against aliens, this must be this Earth's first encounter with theirs. They must be keeping us prisoner because we've seen them, suggests Setsuko. Or do they simply believe we're one of their existing enemies? Aliens are one thing, but our story is just insane. Besides, Maria can't blame them for looking askance at our robots. Grendizer is actual alien technology.

"What did you say?" Setsuko jumps out of her seat, drawing the attention of their Alliance guard. Whoops! Toby tries to smooth it over by saying she's just hungry; Denzel hopes they can at least be treated as human beings, as they can see we are.

"Human beings?" spits the Alliance captain. "We're not falling for what. We know you're siding with ZAFT!"

Team Grendizer doesn't even know what ZAFT is, but it just proves Toby's and Denzel's prediction right: they assume we're their existing enemies rather than something unknown. And they say they can prove it, too, by analyzing our DNA and proving we're altered humans.

Starting with Maria! The Alliance officers grab her and start dragging her away. This is bad - if they analyze her DNA, Duke knows they'll find out he and Maria aren't from Earth!

Luckily, their ship gets an S.O.S. just then; the commander has to go, but leaves guards outside the room.

Kouji points out that Maria could have kicked his rear end. She knows that, but she didn't want to. "He was... afraid," she says. "He looked at us with such fear and hate..."

What we just got is a personal taste of how Naturals and Coordinators treat each other in this world - not even recognizing the other as human beings. Team Grendizer looks to Denzel once again for information.

They introduce themselves, so let's run through them quickly. Kouji pilots the Double Spazer, and Setsuko recognizes him as the former pilot of Mazinger Z. Where's Mazinger, anyway? Kouji says it's tied up in experiments at the Photonic Power Laboratory. Hikaru Makiba pilots the Marine Spazer, and Maria Grace Fleed, Duke's sister, pilots the Drill Spazer. She shares a name with Duke Fleed, but again, he goes by Daisuke Umon and won't tell us why - that he's keeping the fact that he and Maria are from Planet Fleed secret from our own military.

We're all glad to be working together, but back to the explanation...

Which a fellow prisoner here is also very interested in. His name is Takeshi Tsukikage, leader and manager of the "Blue Fixer," here with his head of research Ella Quinstein and two of his fighters, Jack Oliver and Raita Hokuto. Fighters? Denzel asks, does that make them military? Actually, Blue Fixer is the research arm of this world's environmental committee; they concern themselves with extraterrestrial life and how it can coexist with Earth life. The Alliance has called them in to study us; if we play our cards right, Tsukikage assures us this arrangement right here could be mutually beneficial.

It sounds like they'll be much more helpful than the Alliance, but suddenly Raita roars that it's our fault so many people died in the attack. Kouji snaps that that wasn't our fault, we were the ones trying to save it! Oliver suggests it might have been a trick to gain their trust.

Quinstein admonishes them both not to jump to conclusions - it's not scientific. They shut up, but they clearly haven't been swayed. Still, at least someone's willing to listen to us.

Denzel begins by swearing to Tsukikage on his honor that he's about to give a complete, unbiased account of what's happened to them. He starts at the moon...

Back on the shores of Suruga Bay, it's Kappei versus Kozuki in what they claim is a final duel. Kozuki just has one question, though - what are Aki and Michi doing here? Aki says Kappei just called them out here; Michi is ready to administer first aid if anyone gets hurt. "These pigs? They're my bodyguards!" smirks Kappei.

This Hamamoto fucker (are there any little boys in Kappei's village who aren't dickbags?) starts giving him poo poo about his crazy senile grandfather, and that is something Kappei won't take.

But before the fight can break out, they spot something over the horizon...

Chapter 5: Day of Awakening

It's the robots from yesterday - and they're attacking the city! Aki and Michi start running back there to find their parents; Kappei wants to stay out of it.

The Alliance guard deploys, along with the Blue Fixer fighters, but they get routed easily, and Oliver and Raita pull out. If they can't do any damage, they'd be better off helping the civilians escape.

But then Kappei hears Ichitaro's voice from the ocean, urging him to come to the shore - and then jump!

A huge ship catches him and he finds himself on its bridge. His grandfather calls this ship the Beal I, the treasure of their ancestors, a weapon against Gaizock. And they're ready to fight back. Kappei just needs to get changed.

His grandmother has prepared his suit and everything. "What am I, a space handyman or something?"

Just wait, Kappei.

Hey, nice ascot. Heizaemon says it's a piloting suit engineered to protect his body from impact. His mother is there too, and she doesn't like this at all, but Heizaemon drops him down a chute...

And into the Zambird as it deploys! Kappei's always wanted to pilot a fighter jet, but unfortunately, he has no idea how. Whoops! Heizaemon tells him to remember "Chapter 33, Lesson 1," and Kappei instantly knows what to push to make the thing fly!

Apparently, Heizaemon has been secretly putting Kappei through post-hypnotic training in his sleep for months. Another trick from the ancestors. "Listen, Kappei! The claws of evil are reaching for this Earth - an evil the ancient texts of the ancestors call Gaizock. It is the duty of the Jin family to fight against them!"

And the Zambird has another trick, "Ace Change," which transforms it into the robot Zambo Ace, of course. Heizaemon and Ichitaro return the Beal I to its hiding place underwater, entrusting the battle to Kappei, who has been just waiting for the chance to teach those monsters to wreck his town.

Right! Our objective right now is to beat up these enemies here, the Battle Mastery hasn't revealed itself yet though.

Invincible Super Man Zambot 3
Kappei Jin - Zambo Ace/Zambird
Voiced by Nobuyo Ooyama

Skills
* Prevail(Level 3) - As the character takes damage, hit rate, evasion, defense, and critical rate will increase.
* Resolve - Pilot starts the stage with +5 Will
* Will+ (Hit) - Pilot gains +1 Will every time they hit an enemy.

Spirit Commands:
* Guts(25): The caster regains all HP.

Squad Leader Bonus
*Squad gains the effect of the Will +(Damaged) skill.

Kappei is a strong pilot overall. With Guts there's no problem just rushing into the fray. One unique thing about him is that he'll gain Will absurdly fast, with two skills that let him gain it faster and his Squad Leader bonus effectively gives him a third. He's all about getting powered up fast. The Zambo Ace isn't the strongest unit around and doesn't really fit his strengths though. But that's not much of a worry, he'll be getting a better mech fairly soon.

But that's for later, right now we have to handle things here.

: Come on, Gaizock! Eat the power of my ancestors' treasure!

Hmmm not bad at all. With nothing else to do, I end this turn.

Oliver and Raita are trying to figure out what that robot is. It's not a Mobile suit, but it might be a private operation. Something of Kazami's? Oliver says no, he'd have heard if anything had come out of Trinity City. It wouldn't be the huge cyborg from the Mars Report, would it? Whatever it is, they have to tell Tsukikage; Oliver says he'll go make his report while Raita continues with the evacuation.

These guys being to move up to Kappei.

It really doesn't amount to much.

Especially since Kappei just healed off every bit of damage they did.

Now I end my turn without attacking, I did this because I thought it would make things easier, but it didn't really make any difference so whatever.

The main point is that I blew up the second jerk.

Having beaten up some real live aliens, Kappei struts his stuff for the girls. Kozuki has more questions than praise, though - what's with Kappei's family?

Tsukikage's got the footage of that battle, and while that red robot beat the first wave, it looks like all the other alien squads are converging on Suruga Bay. However tough that thing is, it probably can't take on that whole force at once. The army is out of usable robots, and as we've seen, the Blue Fixer battlemechs are far from up to snuff. Setsuko says they and their mechs could handle it, but Denzel stops her. Given the situation, there are some things that are just out of reach. Tsukikage agrees that we're probably telling the truth about the parallel universe, and even that we may have the noblest intentions.

Sounds good to Team Grendizer. They were going to break out anyway.

Yes, the military would trust them even less, and yes, it would be a stupid move, but they have to protect the town. Quinstein is surprised they'd fight for citizens of another universe, but there it is - everyone on the Dizer Team is determined to do this.

And if that's how it's going to be, the Glory Star is going too.

Setsuko goes from down to up in half a second - maybe the first time her teammates have ever seen her smile, she admits.

Reinforcements arrive. "Bring 'em on!" says Kappei. "I'll kick all their butts!"

Even more arrive the moment he says that. Good job, Kappei. He tells Aki and Michi to get out of there; with this many aliens, they'll crush the whole town over them!

Oh, and he's got three turns starting now to take them all out.

Yup! This stage's Battle Mastery condition is that once the enemy reinforcements arrive, beat them in three turns. Oh yeah, and that first turn will be taken with you being unable to do anything no matter what. They arrive once Kappei, the only playable unit on the field, blows up the last enemy. The game then automatically moves him so you can't adjust his position. Probably the first real challenging Battle Mastery thus far!

All the guys begin got move towards Kappei, this is actually bad. Kappei can't handle them all at once and couldn't even reach them all before the time limit. The enemy phase ends with that.

Kappei doesn't think he can do it anymore.

: Don't think like that. If you don't think you can win, you definitely can't.
: A comm? Who's calling me?
: It doesn't matter who I am. Focus on the enemy.
: I know that! Don't tell me how to fight!
: There, that's what I wanted to hear. Besides, your backup's arrived.
: What backup?

Spazers are really good at getting us places fast! Duke calls the red robot and offers his help.

"Zambo Ace and I don't need any help!" sniffs Kappei.

The Dizer Team is surprised to hear a kid in there, but glad to know at least he's an Earthling. There's no time for introductions, though - we have to save the city as fast as we can, and we'll need all the firepower we've got! "Okay, fine!" grumbles Kappei. "You can do whatever you want!"

You'd expect a little gratitude, but that's not important right now.

What is important is getting those aliens good and smashed. And we're going to have to pull some trickery to do that. We have two turns to defeat them all, and they're quite spread out.

I have Hikaru scan them to get a good look at their stats.

They have two attacks we need to worry about. The Post movement attack has a Range of 3, while the other has a range of 6. Enemies will use the strongest attack that can hit, and will usually prefer not to move if possible. Of course, I can't get anybody in range for their 6 range attack in one turn. So they'll move towards the closest target to hit with their Post movement attacks.

Which is why I move Kappei away from the fight. I do not want those enemies in the water to move towards him, so I make him the furthest target. Two of them will still move up to him on the enemy phase, but that's fine, he take care of them.

Luckily, one is still in range for Zambo Ace's pistol.

: Those aliens are puttin' up a good fight!
: How lame would I be if I didn't fight just as hard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHY83Z1Jlmw

Unfortunately being in the water gives them a defensive bonus. Still not too much to handle.

Next I move up Duke Fleed, he is now the closest target to those guys in the water up there thanks to me moving Kappei.

Glory Star and the Spazers can clean up the remaining ones down here.

: Well, look at us! Charging out all by ourselves to save the people of another world!
: 1st. Lieutenant... I couldn't bear to stand by and watch civilians die.
: Very dashing, Setsuko.
: I'm sorry! I didn't mean to be insulting!
: Hey, don't sweat it. I'm right with you!
: A soldier's job has meaning when he does it in defense of something. Don't forget this moment, 2nd. Lieutenant.

"Go Glory Star Go!"

Seriously, the hardest part of this mission is those two sitting in the water. You have to make sure they do not go towards Kappei or else getting the Battle Mastery is impossible.

Kouji opens up the barrage on the other side.

: Watch your backs, Hikaru, Maria! They may be scouts, but they're tough!
: Okay, Kouji! You be careful too!
: We have to survive to get back to our world, where Father and Goro are!

With everything done, I end the turn.

Naturally, the two closest to Kappei target him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W6iITTzYlE
They both go the same way.

And success! They move towards Duke Fleed, thus securing my victory.

: If their aim these last two days was to gather data...
: Then whoever's behind them must be after the Earth!

I don't think it's mathematically possible for these things to kill Grendizer.

Meanwhile Maria gets the kill on this one for targeting her. With her weakest attack.

The other gets the great idea to target Toby.

This one doesn't have the water to boost its defenses so it's handily one shot.

On my turn I move Kouji up to finish off the one Duke Fleed weakened last round.

Oh geez. I had been hoping that the Spazer Storm would finish it off, but it would seem its B in Water let the punk survive. Whatever, it'll be done next round.

I target this one since it has the higher HP.

It's still blown up.

And on the enemy phase the remaining two suicide on Kappei and Duke Fleed anyways so I win.

Hooray, the army's here! A little late...

But just in time to pull weapons on us and order us to come quietly - the red one, too. They're pinning a forcible escape on us and won't listen to excuses that we were authorized. This must have been their plan all along - let us go so they could accuse us of escaping and have an excuse to put us away. It was probably the army, though - it looked like Tsukikage and Quinstein were in the dark too. Not that admitting that helps us now.

Luckily, we have an escape plan - Heizaemon gets us all into the Beal I and jets! It sucks that we have to make enemies with the Alliance, but this was probably how it was going to go down to begin with.

"So that's the legacy of the Jin family he was talking about," mutters a shadowy figure. "Where will they go from here?"

And back on the Bandock, fat man isn't too broken up about his Domilars getting wrecked. "All material things are doomed to destruction," he rumbles. "This planet's natives are putting up a good fight. I like that. It makes for a better hunt."

Emperor Vega (goddammit) feels the need to point out that Grendizer isn't from Earth, but the big one says it's just as weak a prey. Was it really a threat to them? Poor Emperor Vega, no longer the ruler of the universe. Wandering, with no home, he has no choice but to pledge his cooperation to Gaizock.

: It's a good day! Gizzar! Bring me wine! We drink to the Emperor of Vega!
: By your will, Butcher!
: Bareta, prepare me a new Mechaboost!
: By your will, Butcher.
: All belongs to Gaizock. To me, Killer the Butcher.
: Hoh hoh hoh! Resist me with all your might, earthlings!
: Hoh hoh hoh hoh! Mwohohohohohoho!
: (Emperor Vega, this man... he's too dangerous...)
: (Mm. Yes, we may have signed a deal with the devil.)
: Hoh hohohoho! Bwohohohohohohohohohoho!

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 14, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Onmi posted:

Butcher is loving horrific and any implication that Kappei would be "Worse off" in a gundam universe is laughable because that would be a universe without Butcher.

Unfortunately this Kappei in a Gundam Universe, namely the Gundam SEED universe.

Frankly it's amazing he's still alive, what with the mass starvations that happened on Earth back during the Bloody Valentine War since Neutron Jammer's pretty much made the entire planet have almost no power (yes this is Thing in SEED)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Section Z posted:

Kappei has the best dog :allears:

Bet the dog is also an alien.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think there's only one game in the series (W) that does not have at least one anime made by Tomino in it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Onmi posted:

The Frost Brothers. gently caress the Frost Brothers

This is the proper sentiment to have.

Edit: VVVVV That works too.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 23, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Setsuko Route Chapter 6 Prologue

Last time on Super Robot Wars Z, Aliens invaded! A little punk kid got his own robot, and our heroes were going to be arrested for saving a city from aliens. So now we're on the run.

Current Top Aces
1. Kouji
2. Denzel
3. Toby
4. Maria
5. Duke Fleed

Kouji and Denzel are tied, yet it seems the game gives priority to newer kills on the Top Ace list, which is why Setsuko's been bumped out even though she has the same number as Duke Fleed. He just got his kills more recently

I give the Zambo Ace a point of HP, Armor, and Accuracy, and we're off to actually do the next mission!

As out-there as it seems, Heizaemon and Ichitaro believe the Glory Star's and Dizer Team's story - it's hard to doubt it after seeing our robots, though "some of us managed it." Kappei blurts out that he can't even believe he had to go have a robot fight in the legacy of his ancestors, but Heizaemon shushes him.

Well, can we at least get filled in on the Gaizock? Heizaemon is still looking into them himself, so he doesn't have much to say. How about the Beal I and Zambo Ace? That, Heizaemon simply cannot reveal. Kappei, Kouji, and Maria are all miffed, but Duke says it's okay. He has faith in whatever the old man's reasons are. He sees something fierce in those aged eyes, something that belies a truth that goes much deeper than it appears.

As for the Glory Star, we're probably stuck here. Denzel predicts that if the local army captured us now, the Virgolas would be confiscated at best, and at worst, put to work for their own ends. Ichitaro says he's probably more right than he knows; there was a war between the Naturals and Coordinators two years ago (as we know), and some of them want another round. The family repeats the backstory about the enhanced Coordinators and the unaugmented Naturals and the strife that sprung from their inequality. The Naturals put the Coordinators, who they hated and feared, away in a space colony, PLANT, under their control. But the Coordinators formed their own military, known as ZAFT, and violence broke out from both sides. That explains why both ZAFT and the Alliance's first question was whether we're Naturals or Coordinators.

The war only ended with the deaths of the most powerful extremists on both sides and the signing of the Junius Accords - but that wasn't enough to change things for good. Not as long as humans still fear and hate things they don't understand. Much like us, right? We had the misfortune to arrive just as both sides were preparing for war to return. They're trying to see if they can use us to get the upper hand, and it's likely that the others, the ones we left up in space, are getting that treatment from ZAFT even now. But, Denzel points out, won't the Alliance make that play with the alien supertech that is the Beal and Zambo?

Suddenly, Heizaemon says we must be exhausted, and he has a room we can rest in. He assures us he won't turn us into the military; above all else, he wants to see us returned to our home world. We don't really have much room to argue.

Ichi and Kappei both feel like he should have asked us to help defeat the Gaizock, but Heizaemon knows the very important reason the Jin family, not "Visitors," have to be the one to carry out this war. Gaizock destroyed the world of their ancestors, the planet Beal - yes, all of them are distantly descended from aliens! The ancestors, the Bealians, escaped to Earth when the Gaizock razed their planet and settled as Earthlings, leaving their legacy as a way for their descendants to wage war against Gaizock when it returned. "So we have to fight to avenge our ancestors?" says Kappei.

"No. We must fight to keep Earth from meeting the same end as Beal."

But, continues Heizaemon, the enemies of the Jin family are not Gaizock alone. "We may have to fight against our world itself. That is the Jin family's fate. We cannot ask an outsider to bear it."

Well, that's turned Kappei around. He's totally going to beat up all the ancestors' enemies all by himself! That's not quite true either; Heizaemon orders Ichitaro to get in touch with their relatives, the Kamies and the Kamikitas. The Alliance is in pursuit; they must move quickly...

And we must also move to this super nice hotel, where a certain rich man is throwing a party. Everyone who's everyone is here; for instance, Joseph Copeland (left), President of the Atlantic Federation, and William Fitzgerald (right), who is supposed to be the President of something but in this game is just a chair member, though still no one to trifle with. They share company with politicians, generals, CEOs, basically anybody important -

And their host's masked aide, Raven. You must excuse the mask; his employer insists he wear it at all times, though he won't say what for. The master will be out shortly; our powerful friends exposit that despite being a technology giant, the man is a hermit who lives out in an estate in the center of a lake.

Lord Djibril and his men have also been trying to find out about our gracious host, but their digging has revealed nothing about his history or background. Could he know about their group? Gibril thinks not; Copeland they're in cahoots with, but Fitzgerald, for instance, has nothing to do with them, so that's not why they're gathered here. He simply invited them as the men of status they appear to be, and that bill fits most of their little conspiracy. That said, there's a squad of mobile suits stationed outside and waiting for orders - just in case.

While they're together, they may as well share notes on what's been going on in space. The main reason for this conversation is for them to reveal that they're classifying the extraterrestrial ship up there as an "étranger," according to the data in Tsukikage's report. The Phantom Pain have also reported on their own "Visitors from another world," also étrangers - in that case, that they've been taken in by ZAFT. It seems they've confirmed many "étranger" entities, but that was the first time they've come over with weapons. His associates are distressed that they fell into the hands of ZAFT. But there's good news - Neo Roanoke has made contact with the étrangers who were fighting that ship (the Titans, to clarify) and secured their cooperation in exchange for protection. The elderly one still wishes they'd captured the étrangers from Suruga Bay.

However, something has been destroying intelligence satellites for some days now, likely the Coordinators. But this may be an opportunity. They know of something going on in South America, and the opposition within the Alliance may use it to contact the Coordinators, but the current chaos would be a good cloak to move in on it. "It must be us in control of the path to the heavens," says Gibril.

In the suspiciously ship-like back halls of the hotel (don't worry about it), a young girl is caught skulking around. Her clothes mark her as a guest at the party, so what's she doing back here? The girl says quiet.

But this blonde woman (whose name is actually Beauty) steps in for her; she has business with Reika, an ICPO agent. She introduces herself as "the beautiful assistant of that big shot you're looking for," and the silent girl can't help it: "Who the hell introduces themselves as beautiful?" Unfortunately, that reveals she's clearly a boy.

Whoops! He yells that he's here for Ayaka, throws a flashbang and vanishes, leaving behind his wig and silicon breasts.

Anyway, that just leaves Reika and Beauty, and Reika still knows who she's after - "The Storm," another incredibly rich, incredibly mysterious power that appeared out of nowhere a year ago. Beauty insists Reika shall not pass, and they're about to have a fight over it...

but Beauty gets a call from the Storm himself - "targeted by the ICPO, and my beloved sweetie. And he's curious about you, I think." Reika's in luck - she's going to meet the man himself.

Meanwhile, a bunch of girls are watching Eiji Shigure run around. Mizuki, the tits, says he looks really good as a girl. Runa, the normal-ish one, thinks he looks like an idiot.

Eina, the maid, is sent off to to inform Cookie, who we'll meet eventually, but FYI, she's the combat maid (actually, most of them are going to be maids).

Just then, Runa realizes which room Eiji's found his way into.

I have no idea how Eiji dresses up that well, but he finds a lone boy named Toga, who is fascinated by Eiji: "You're like me. I knew it. Other boys are real."

He tries to get a look at Eiji's clothes; Eiji lashes out, but Toga dodges easily. Dammit! Eiji tries to hit him over and over, but Toga just giggles, evades each one, and asks what Eiji's name is.

"I'm looking for Ayaka!" snarls Eiji. Toga seems to recognize the name.

Back at the party, Klein Sandman finally shows his face and says he has something very important to tell everyone gathered here: "The Earth is in grave danger."

That's a lot to swallow, but Sandman has evidence: footage of that satellite being destroyed. He claims it was attacked by an enemy from outer space. Everyone at the party still refuses to believe him, including Copeland, and they shout that he's wasted their time -

and just then, Copeland gets a call. Something's falling from the outer atmosphere, and it's headed straight for Tokyo! Sandman evenly says the enemy is moving in on Tokyo because it's where all these powerful citizens of Earth are gathered - and that he has joined forces with his friend to stand up to this enemy. But he needs all the might of this planet to join together to stand a chance. That's why he's gathered them here today, to ask for their cooperation. Gibril wonders, again, if he's looking at them specifically.

Fitzgerald asks how Sandman knows about these enemies. Sandman names them for him: Zeravire.

And then the first attack hits...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Chapter 6: The Incarnation of the God of Gravity

Alex Smith is among the soldiers deployed to intercept the invaders...

but the squad is destroyed almost instantly and only he survives to eject.

Quinstein and Tsukikage are shocked by the arrival of yet more new aliens, and according to Sandman, those are indeed the Zeravire.

Kappei arrives in the Zambird; his grandpa told him to see what was going on, but it looks like a miss. "Fool!" rumbles Heizaemon. They may not be the Zeravire, but they still threaten the Earth, and it's their duty to fight them!

The Dizer Team, of course, is also here to help, as are the Glory Star, who Denzel has decided would be more efficient flying in tight formation. By formation, of course, we mean Z's signature Formation system, in which a leader fights alongside two squadmates. Setsuko's been trained in formation maneuvers, of course.

Meanwhile, Toga is handing Eiji some new clothes and pushing him into some machine...

And we've hit objective for this stage, beat all the enemies in only two turns!

But, of course, there's something else here we need to look at first. Our first mission with squads. The Tri-Squad system is a signature part of Super Robot Wars Z. Squads, in general, are a way to have the large casts that a massive crossover of stories that Super Robot Wars requires while still keeping the number of playable units per stage a sane number. Each squad counts as a single playable unit in the stage. A squad consists of the squad leader and his or her support units. You can switch who the leader is ay any time, and with the character as a leader the squad gets their Squad Leader Bonus. There are three different formations a squad can take.

You select this option from the menu to rearrange the squad, selecting formation and leader.

The first formation is the Tri Formation. In the Tri-Formation only the Squad Leader attacks normally. However, being in Tri-Formation allows the usage of Tri-Charge attacks. These attacks, have some unique properties, in general they're considered a combination attack, so their power is based off all three members combined, it also pierces barriers. Tri attacks are very powerful, but typically have low ammo count/high energy cost. One final bonus of the Tri Formation is that the squad support members get an extra 20% evasion.

Next is the Center Formation. In the Center Formation, the support members use the Platoon(PLA) attacks against the enemy Squad Leader when attacking. Their PLA attacks do only 50% of their normal damage though. The Squad Leader gets a 20% bonus to accuracy. Finally, if any squad member is equipped with a barrier the barrier is spread across the entire squad.

Finally, there's Wide Formation. In the Wide Formation the support members use their PLA attacks against the enemy support members, doing 80% of their normal damage. One defensive downside is that, unlike the other two formations, the support members can not use Support Defense to take a hit for the leader. On the other hand, the big defensive boon of Wide Formation is that the entire squad takes 50% less damage from ALL Attacks and Tri Attacks.

That's the basics of the Tri-Squad system, since we're still only attacking single target enemies, I select Center Formation. I make Setsuko the leader because her Squad Leader bonus is really good, especially since Glory Star's PLA attacks are ranged.

One more thing about PLA attacks, it doesn't matter if they're normally not Post-Movement like the Virgola's are, they'll still be used by the support members.

Still, that's enough, it's time to move down to face the Zeravire!

Nothing else happens the first turn, so they just move up and start targeting our guys.

: They're obviously using technology beyond what this Earth has...
: Aliens again.. and they're trying to invade Earth!

And Duke Fleed pulls off a surprise dodge! If it isn't obvious, these things are kind of weak.

The next one targets Zambird.

: They aren't the Gaizock!
: But I'm sick of sitting around at the bottom of the ocean! I gotta move!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjwXH_G72x4

Then every other enemy that can get in goes for Kappei.

A couple of the smaller Zeravires blast through the formation, towards the hotel - and the evacuation is incomplete!

Then a ship rises out of the river, and Sandman shouts: "Fellows of the Gran Knights, go forth!"

The ship launches what looks like jets, a tank, and a robot - what Sandman calls the Gran Knights, "our only hope".

Eiji's found his way into one of the jets somehow and is not happy about it. Runa snaps that if he just doesn't touch anything, they'll handle his machine. "Pipe down! Be more like Toga."

Toga is in the machine known as the Gran Kaiser, and he's suddenly a different boy. Coldly, he orders the two jets - the G-Striker and G-Attacker - to defend the airspace over the hotel, and the G-Driller, with Runa and Eina in it, to intercept the enemies to the north. Mizuki tells Eiji to follow her lead.

Finally, Raven is pulling the Gran Fortress out of combat, leaving Toga to defend against the approaching forces.

On our end, we've got the remaining Zeravires to clean up while Toga holds the fort.

Right, Toga can handle those two.

One was already weakened, so we target the one at full health.

: ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAWE0dQw974

Super-Heavy God Gravion
Toga Tenkuuji - Gran Kaiser
Voiced by Jun Fukuyama (Japanese), Greg Ayres (English)

Skills:
* Counter (Level 2) - On the enemy phase, will sometimes attack before the enemy. Activation rate is determined by the skill stat.
* Will +(Hit) - The pilot gains 1 point of Will whenever they successfully hit an enemy.
* Predict - At 130 Will, hit, evasion and critical hit rate increase.

Spirit Commands

Squad Leader Bonus
*+10% Attack power during the Player Phase

It should be obvious, but Gran Kaiser is not the unit you'll be using Toga for. Let's put off full analysis until then.

I try to show off the power of Virgola 3's Tri Attack, which is pretty good, being post movement with 3 ammo.

: A-another strange enemy...
: This is no time to freak out, Setsuko! We've got alien invaders!
: He's right! If the Alliance can't handle these things, it's up to us!
: Of course! I'll fight as hard as I can!

Buttt I fail to notice that it has a B rank for Air, and is not near as powerful as it should be.

These things have pretty pathetic range, Setsuko was able to snipe it pretty easily at least.

Let's have Team Spazer finish this one off.

This is what squadmates doing PLA attacks look like. In all honesty, unless they get the kill I won't really bother to take screenshots of them. They're typically the least visually interesting attack a unit has.

Kappei took a beating last turn, so I use Guts to heal him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REqtyd2nlu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZrU7EbEraY
With the last full health one gone, the rest kill themselves on the enemy phase, thank you counter attacks!

Another sweet victory.

Now that the city is safe, we'd better jet before things get awkward.

The Gran Divas, as they're collectively called, report success on their fronts - even Eiji managed to pull his own weight.

Unfortunately, we've got more trouble - including one that's much bigger! It's probably what passes for their leader.

Toga charges in, but the Gran Kaiser can't put a scratch on it.

The shadowy man asks if Sandman needs his help. "Your sun isn't ready yet," says Sandman. "And if I lose you here, we have little hope in the battles to come." Who is this man? Is he the friend Sandman mentioned, wonders Fitzgerald?

The Gran Knights will have to play their last card...

"Fellows of the Gran Knights, combine!"

...he says, but Eiji has no idea what's going on.

The lead Zeravire moves for him...

But a third jet swoops in to save him. Sandman says this is the G-Shadow, and with all five machines together, they can finally...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smYplf0B0oE

do this! Sandman names it "the final resort of Earthgertz, the spear and shield of Earth - God Gravion, master of gravity. Humanity's only hope, wielding power and beauty together."

Eiji is still very confused, but that's okay - the others tell him Toga's in control now. Sandman warns them that there's a drawback, though - the Divas can only withstand such a concentration of gravitons, and it'll take three minutes for it to build to that point. Once they reach their limit, God Gravion's combination will release automatically, and they won't be able to join again without returning to their base. To Toga, that just means he has to destroy that Zeravire within three minutes!

But who's in the G-Shadow? Mizuki has her suspicions - could it be Ayaka?

As for our little crew, we'll keep the others off of Gravion so they can focus on the leader. Kappei wants to see how cool the combined robot can be - and so does Duke, who can clearly see that Zambo Ace and the combiner are both not of Earthly origin.

So the objective is simple. Defeat the Zeravire boss within three turns. God Gravion can do this by itself, so the other guys will handle clean up.

It helps, of course, that the others were kind of thrown into the middle of it.

All this being shot at is shooting Kappei's Will up, pity it's just the Zambird for now.

I keep thinking I'm going to be able to show off Support Defending in Squads, but Setsuko keep dodging 60% hit chances.

Everyone keeps swarming Kappei.

Hey here we go! Toby bravely taking the hit for Setsuko.

Back up here, the Zeravire aims for Gravion.

: Toga, we're all set here! Go nuts!
: Hey, come on! At least tell me what this thing is first!
: Will you shut up about that already? I'll fill you in afterwards, so just do your job now!
: I'd listen to her, Eiji. We have to take that thing down first.
: F-fine! I'm not gonna die here, then!
: At your leisure, Master Toga!
: Roger.
:What's his deal, anyway? He gets in his robot and suddenly he's a rock.
: (And there's the pilot of the G-Shadow too. Who is that?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ20nzG5BGk

OK now that it's our turn, let's take a look at God Gravion.

Super-Heavy God Gravion
Toga Tenkuuji - God Gravion
Voiced by Jun Fukuyama (Japanese), Greg Ayres (English)
Eiji Shigure - God Gravion Subpilot
Voiced by Kenichi Suzumura(Japanese), Chris Patton (English)
Runa Gusuku - God Gravion Subpilot
Voiced by Haruna Ikezawa (Japanese), Luci Christian (English)
Mizuki Tachibana - God Gravion Subpilot
Voiced by Yu Asakawa (Japanese), Kira Vincent-Davis (English)
Eina - God Gravion Subpilot
Voiced by Mai Nakahara (Japanese), Jessica Boone (English)
??? - God Gravion Subpilot
Voiced by Houko Kuwashima (Japanese), Allison Keith (English)

Skills:
* Will +(Hit) - The pilot gains 1 point of Will whenever they successfully hit an enemy.
* Predict - At 130 Will, hit, evasion and critical hit rate increase.

Spirit Commands(Toga)

Spirit Commands(Eiji)
*Accel(20) - The Caster's squad gains a one use +2 to movement.

Spirit Commands(Runa)
* Strike(20) - The caster will have 100% Hit rate for that turn.
* Luck(40) - The Caster's Squad will gain double the amount of money from a defeated enemy, the effect fades after the next attack even if an enemy is not killed.

Spirit Commands(Mizuki)

Spirit Commands(Eina)
*Gain(20) - The caster's squad will gain double the Experience Points from the next attack

Spirit Commands(???)
*Guard(30) - The caster takes 1/4 damage from all attacks for one turn.
* Mercy(10) - If the pilot's skill stat is higher then the enemy's, then an attack that would normally defeat the enemy leaves them alive with 10 HP.

Squad Leader Bonus
*+10% Attack power during the Player Phase

God Gravion is absurd. On a basic level it's about as strong as Grendizer, more HP but less armor and an L size. However... It. Has. Six. Pilots. Once its pilots level up it'll just be able to blast through things. However, there's a catch. That three minute limit mentioned? That isn't just a plot excuse for this stage. Toga will deploy in the Gran Kaiser. Once he hits 130 Will however, a new option will appear in his menu. With it the Gran Kaiser can become the God Gravion, but only for three turns. Still, three turns is a long time in this game.

As a bit of extra info, when a skill is currently active on a character, it will flash green on their status screen.

Enough about that for now though, let's continue the process of wiping these mooks out.

This lets Toby not only gain a level of Support Defense, but also learn new Spirit command!

*Accel(15) - The Caster's squad gains a one use +2 to movement.

Kappei's out of SP for Guts, so he gets repaired instead because I just know a bunch of them are going to target him

I then promptly move him, forgetting to attack. :downs:

Finally, I move Toga a square back, God Gravion's best attack has a range of 2-6, so it can't be used against enemies right in its face. Since it's not post-movement, I need to set up its use the turn beforehand.

Onto the enemy phase!

Huh they attacked Team Spazer Maria is naturally good at counterattacking, but the Drill Spazer was just barely not enough. But don't worry, I have plans for her.

Kappei finishes that one off.

This one suicides against Grendizer, barely scratching its paint job.

Same here with Setsuko.

I could finish it off this turn, but I have one left and there's still some enemies I can get cash from.

Almost done.

Move Glory Star up to take out this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw99orUqym0
I did not know Zambo Ace's rifle attack had a ground to air animation until just now.

Eina casts Gain, because why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLM-v_7d0r4

Look at all that sweet EXP.

Toga gets a new Spirit Command to boot!

*Spirit(20) - Increases the caster's Will by 10

Kappei's impressed by the robot, but Denzel says it's dangerous. Won't the army come for it?

Looks like they just did, or at least they're there for us. Sandman quickly says that this whole thing is the force of resistance he has prepared against the invaders, with God Gravion at its center. The events of the past few days have been a demonstration of their power, but soon, he'll make it official.

Gibril realizes that he invited all these figures here to orchestrate this and take control of the whole thing for himself. Well played, Sandman. But Gibril will only step up his recon efforts from here on out, and it's understandable why - who is this Klein Sandman?

Duke suggests we play along with Sandman; it'd be better than staying on the run. Besides, Denzel wants to know more about that blue machine. Kappei is glad poo poo finally isn't boring, and Eiji wants to know what Sandman knows about Ayaka.

Eiji is unceremoniously dumped out of his jet into San Germain Castle's sweet control room (?!), where a trio of young maids starts undressing him. I'm not going to get too deep into this. Mizuki, Runa, and Eina show up and introduce themselves.

So do Toga, back to his weird self, and Sandman. Eiji promptly accuses Sandman of forging a letter from his sister, Ayaka. "Where's Ayaka? Give me Ayaka back!"

Raven punches him.

But Sandman admits to it. Earthgertz, the organization dedicated to fighting the Zeravire threat, needed someone to pilot the G Attacker, and Eiji's strong concentration of something called the "G Factor" fits the bill. The G Factor, to make a long story short, is what enables human bodies to withstand high concentrations of gravitons, and it's necessary for anyone who fights with Gravion. Ayaka had it too, but Sandman's chosen Eiji for the G Attacker. That's why he forged that letter to draw Eiji to his castle. "It was not a beautiful act," he says. "For that, I apologize deeply."

"You're lying!" yells Eiji. He and Ayaka exchanged letters and she never said anything about any of this. Raven coolly says that everyone has their secrets. Mizuki admits the bigger problem: Ayaka was here, but she's missing. She mysteriously vanished during exercises and hasn't been seen since. They're worried about her too, in fact. Sandman invites Eiji to stay in the castle and investigate as he wishes; Toga pulls him, protesting, away to give him a tour.

With Eiji no longer making noise, the next question becomes the G-Shadow. Unfortunately, Sandman quickly says he has to attend to the guests and excuses himself. Dammit! Raven says he trusts that Sandman knows what he's doing.

We do appreciate being attended to; Sandman first apologizes for putting us on the spot. Kappei in particular - yes, he knows Kappei. "I know your family, you see." He's looked into the visitors from another world as well. This guy clearly isn't just a rich magnate, so Kouji decides to cut the bullshit. "We're grateful for the help, but if you think you can take advantage of us, we'll have something to say about that."

"True," murmurs Sandman. "The whole world isn't out of my grasp right now."

There's an awkward pause.

"...but my fellows and I have only one desire," he continues. "To protect this world and all its people from the claws of darkness."

We can't really argue with that - he's built Earthgertz and Gravion (the first time our team's heard the name) just for that. He doesn't expect us to believe everything he says so quickly, but he does trust that we're trying to avoid being taken in by the Alliance. He can give us that, and he promises to do what he can to help Kappei and his family get back to Suruga safe and sound.

That doesn't help the rest of us who have no home in this universe, though. Sandman is willing to keep us as guests in his castle, but guests nonetheless. We have nowhere to go in this world.

Setsuko wonders if she has a place to go at all. Daisuke, meanwhile, is a "visitor" to this planet in more ways than one, and he suspects that Sandman is as well...

But for now, we should take up Sandman's hospitality and get some rest. It's been a long day.

First, let's check on on Sandman and a girl who calls him "Uncle" who he keeps in his castle - he says he's kept her for some years since she lost her memory. And he's so sorry for putting her through more hardship. Not at all, she says...

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Does anybody really think that this man

Brunom1 posted:

Sure, there's the classic "half-darkness" Obari pose but Banpresto needed to add so much more for this unique combination of Ryuusei Date, Batman and GGG's Taiga.

takes silly things like "practicality" into account.

• Locked thread