Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And so it begins, Banpresto's grand glorious swan song of the PS2 era.

Anyhew, some things for both Brunom and DrPepper:

Brunom: Regarding Xabungle: one thing not really mentioned in the game (I think you find out in an easily missed off-hand comment or a character bio) is that Xabungle is following its recap movie timeline, as Arthur Rank is alive and well. I only spoil it since Xabungle is denoted as post-series.

DrPepper: That's the Nemo being used by the AEUG. They are based on the GM, but (IIRC) outperform the GM II in-universe.

I can't wait for both of you to reach Eureka 7 territory, so we can see why it's so much better than its Z2 appearance. Aside from Pocket Full of Rainbows' plot being a gigantic pile of poo poo, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Oh Garrod. :allears:

But yeah, the Panthers are kind of poo poo. They're barely better than the Dogozzos and pilots like Sara and Gauli desperately need something else to be better. Thankfully, this game provides us with that opportunity later on. Unlike K where Sara, Gauli and Bello are mostly stuck with their Panthers for....roughly 70% of the game. :cripes:

And now we have an interesting VA of note: Enge's VA Tsuyoshi Koyama. As Brunom pointed out, he voices Bang Shishigami from Blazblue, and is friends with Tomokazu Sugita (who will be showing up in this game later on). What makes Koyama notable is that whenever he guests on Sugita's radio show....."things"...happen. Usually masturbation jokes and other crude humor. Get these two together with their other friend, Yuuichi Nakamura....and things go to hell in record time.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alacron posted:

:catstare:

That's... that's kind of a random thing to just throw out there.
That line is going to come into play later on. Just...wait and see.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alacron posted:

Oh god she's going to fall in love with Gainer and become his creepy stalker isn't she?
Like I said, wait and see. Trying to avoid spoilers here.

But keep this in mind: this is Happy Tomino we're dealing with here, not Severely Depressed and Bitter Tomino.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Corrections!

The non-ZAKU units you fight are the GuAIZ R, an upgrade to the GuAIZ from SEED. That amounts to changing the shield they carry to have one beam saber port instead of a two-blade claw and adds hip railguns. So...basically it's an equipment upgrade.

And yes, the SEED Destiny ZAKUs are capitalized on purpose. Because the Cosmic Era has quite possibly the most largest, loudest, and craziest raging boner for acronyms I have ever seen in any medium.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Huh...I never knew about that.

I find it especially odd that Banpresto didn't even care to reference it a bit in W, considering Astray's presence and Gaogaigar's major connection to Jupiter.
Most likely because SEED's own creators have never bothered to explain what the gently caress it is, so Banpresto didn't even bother. All we know is that it's a fossil of a whale George Glenn found near Jupiter. THAT'S IT. No spin-off work related to the Cosmic Era has bother to even expand on it aside from a few mentions of the cults and the terrorist attempts from Astray. It literally is a plot point that gets introduced.....and then gets left in the dust because the main creator duo just plain threw it out there. They must have had SOME plan for it at one point, but then they never bothered to retcon it out with the Special Editions/HD remasters. So, Evidence-01 is a red herring that makes no sense at all.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And thus we begin the first part of the friendship between Garrod and Gainer. They'll gain a third partner in crimebuddy down the line, and it is one of the more entertaining interaction segments of the game.

Setsuko's route has a similar setup, along with an additional set involving Setsuko herself interacting with others.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wounded Land posted:

Also, Hey You isn't the show's ED, but it seriously should've been, it's just so good.
Yep. It's actually Rag's image song, performed by legendary singer MIO/MIQ (she changed to the latter in the late 90s, IIRC).

Also, I find it funny watching the art styles clash. Look at Garrod vs. Geraba. Geraba's so...wide compared to Garrod.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah, the RNG's spite has arisen. :allears: I have a feeling this is only the beginning of Dr Pepper's love-hate relationship with the RNG. And Lunamaria is off to a good start on that.

So, those green mechs the Titans use are called the Hizack. It's....literally an Earth Federation/Titans attempt at making the mobile suit that nearly kicked their asses senseless in the One Year War, the Zaku. There are two colorations: green (Titans) and navy blue (Earth Federation); yes, the green ones are exclusive to the Titans, as opposed to the deep blue colors that most of the Titans' mechs use (with the red Gabaldy Beta used by Lila being another exception).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

And man, talking about bad things in Zeta, that song. That song is really drat bad. In my current playthrough I just changed the BGM of every Zeta character to IGNITED, because that means I don't put every Zeta animation off because I don't want to hear that song.
Blame it on the rights to Zeta's proper opening and ending songs being tied up in legal red tape. Alpha Gaiden was the last time we ever got one of those songs (for the Waverider Crash, no less) thanks to the American composer who owns them throwing a hissy fit and sitting on the rights since 2001.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

I'm pretty sure "Zeta Activates" was the one that played with Waverider Crash in Alpha Gaiden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK-eacOuWqQ
Did you mean this BGM? I think it also played in MX (can't say for sure, though).
Nope, it was this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXwaDpVtoRs

It was in Advance as well, but A Portable had to change it to one of the insert BGMs because of the licensing crap.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And now we've been given a preview of Zambot 3's protagonist, Kappei Jin. Yes folks, he's pretty much a little poo poo in his own series, if not worse. And oh dear sweet Keisar Ephes does Kappei have a GIGANTIC ego about being a giant robot pilot. We'll see when Zambot 3 (the actual robot) first appears.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rabidredneck posted:

Robotech was actually an interesting experiment. They took three completely unrelated series (Macross, The Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada) and basically tied them all together into a single storyline. And most people would agree they did a pretty good job of it. A lot of people credit the Robotech series as being their introduction to anime.
And all of this was done because Harmony Gold wanted to run Macross as a daily series, unlike a weekly series like it was originally broadcast as. However, US television broadcast rules at the time stated that a daily cartoon series had to have a minimum of 50 episodes, which the 36-episode Macross didn't meet. So, Harmony Gold took Southern Cross and Mospeada (which they had the licenses to) to fill in for the requirements.

As impressive as Robotech is, it's what Harmony Gold has done with the licenses that has gotten people upset.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

Though that is only half the story. Apparently it would cost more to license the Fire Bomber songs of Macross 7 than the series itself, or so I hear. Granted, with Harmony Gold in the way it's a less than zero chance, but still.

I also haven't heard of anything, well, GOOD being done with Robotech since the original.
No, the thing with Fire Bomber songs was an Alpha 3 story, not a Robotech one. Banpresto wanted Fire Bomber songs to be played live in-game (vocals and everything). And then they saw the license fees to do that, so Banpresto dropped the idea.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

But PLANET can never be an acronym for Productive Location Ally on Nexus Technology or People Liberation Acting Nation of Technology!

...Why is everything in the SEED verse a bad Engrishy acronym?
Because the writing team has a bizarre hard-on for them. There really is no other reason for why nearly every goddamn thing (up to and including the word "Gundam") in the Cosmic Era has an acronym.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Astro Nut posted:

Not to mention, every mobile suit in SEED outside of a couple of Gundams (such as the aforementioned Freedom) is powered by glorified batteries because of the Neutron Jammer nonsense. Combat literally cannot last longer than several minutes before one's energy supply goes flat.

...Then again, this never stopped Dendoh from kicking rear end, and that literally had batteries.
And let's not forget that the only way the Neutron Jammers work as described in-series is literally Because The Plot Says SoTM.

I forget the exact details, but the Neutron Jammers (as described in-series/liner notes) only stop a certain part of an electrical/nuclear reaction, while the rest of the equation is never mentioned nor addressed, but is still affected by the jammers. Despite modern science stating that the reaction would continue on even with the one part being jammed as described. So yeah, the big overarching energy crisis in the Cosmic Era, and a big background plot point? It literally boils down to "It works this way Because Shut UpTM". No wonder the people who worked on SEED/Destiny don't want to explain how the in-series technology works.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeeeaaaah, about the Japanese Beast Wars dub......it's poo poo. As in, "let's rewrite EVERY GODDAMN THING to make Beast Wars into a slapstick comedy" kind of poo poo. No, I am not kidding; they took David Kaye's wonderful Megatron performance and turned the character into a coward afraid of going into combat. I wish I was making this up. Not sure what happened to Dinobot in the dub...but suffice to say that he probably wasn't spared the rewrite axe.

As for the new recruits, glad to see the proper Eureka 7 crew here. Watch the Nirvash in particular as we go along. If you've been reading Caphi's Z2.1 LP, you're slowly going to realize the other reason why the E7 cast there was such a disappointment. Aside from the E7 movie being a gigantic insulting pile of poo poo, that is.

Oh, and since someone will ask this question: Yes, the stuttering on Storywriter is intentional. The original track from the show had it as well.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, you know how Kappei was showing off to Aki and Michi in this update? In the show, he's dancing in celebration (in the Zambo Ace) barely TWO FEET AWAY from the girls, who are on the ground by the Zambo Ace. Seriously, one wrong move, and Kappei crushes two of his friends by being a cocky rear end in a top hat. I'm amazed Tomino didn't go for that option.

Speaking of the Kappei Being An rear end in a top hat ShowTM (yeah, that program's going to be running for a while), that jab at Glory Star and Team Grendizer about being able to handle himself? Yeah, he has a much worse and even meaner reaction to two future Zambot 3 characters appearing later on, if you can imagine it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

First off, gently caress the Frost Brothers and fire them into the Sun.

Secondly, I love how they still keep Gwen's "Laura" habit. The short version of this is: Loran was supposed to be female in the original Turn-A draft, but Sunrise laughed this idea off and told Tomino to change Loran's gender. Gwen calling Loran "Laura" constantly is basically Tomino's way of getting the last laugh while being subtle about it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

No, that's just Gwen being Gwen and unable to deal with his sexuality. The Loran concept art is, if anything, more masculine than the final design.

http://imgur.com/TIgWeYy
No. When I say original draft, I meant pre-concept art phase. Tomino basically said "I want to do a Gundam series with a female protagonist", and Sunrise rejected the idea.

What you have there is the beginnings of the Loran as we know AFTER Tomino was told to change Loran's gender per Sunrise's decree.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Also still surprised people have a reaction to the Frost Brothers beyond "hahaha those losers".
Most of the anger regarding the Frost Brothers comes from the Battle Masteries involving them. Just wait and see.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Montegoraon posted:

Watching that hotel scene, it suddenly struck me that the plot of Gundam Seed Destiny would... make more sense? I'm not sure if that's the right way to put it. It'd be fitting, I guess, to cross it over with Metal Wolf Chaos, and replace Copeland with RICHARD! He'd fit right in with the rest of Logos, and Copeland is a particularly bland side character.
I'm more amazed that Z actually acknowledged President Copeland's existence. Hell, I forgot he even exists! :v: But then, that's (one of) the problems with SEED/Destiny that got carried over to SRW. Unless you're either Djibril or Azrael, pretty EVERYONE from the Cosmic Era Earth Federation government outside of named (military) characters are blank faces/off-screen mentions in SRW. Flay's father George Allster, (i.e., Copeland's predecessor) is never seen in Alpha 3, J, or W, despite being referenced a few times. Hell, you SEE the ship he's on in Alpha 3 get blown up, but Allster never gets a portrait; J and W just straight up kill him off-screen. Copeland's lucky that Z stopped for a second and actually GAVE him a portrait instead of making him President Generic McRedShirt.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I enjoyed Sandman in my runthrough, but I'm looking forward to actually getting some straight translation of the guy. :allears:
All I can say is, Sandman is a Takehito Koyasu character. Buckle up folks, Sandman's going to get even crazier from here on out. :allears:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Sandman is voiced by Sho Hayami (a.k.a. Bleach's Aizen, Macross' Max Genius and our very own Kei, from Orguss).

We do have plenty of crazy Koyasu goodness in this game, though. :allears:
:doh:
That's the problem I have with Hayami and Koyasu. They have very, VERY similar vocal ranges, especially when it comes to deep voices.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Small voice actor correction: Tetsu Inada DOES NOT voice Rai and Feil, just Elzam and Ratsel. Ryotaro Okiayu voices Rai and Feil. Inada does voice Tytti's wolf familiars, Frecki and Geri. And is the voice of Doggie Kreuger from Dekaranger (aka, Power Rangers SPD).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

I haven't watched Zambot 3 but what I'm getting from this is that literally everyone in that show is a giant dick. And I thought Zeta was bad!
Guess what? If you think Camille is an annoying jackass, then wait until we get Zambot 3 proper. Kappei will make you want to punch him in the face for being a colossal shitstain.

And now we are getting to GodSigma, one of the big surprises of Z1's cast list. And one of the first of several VA recastings. But, one of the more interesting ones.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Denzel's line makes me curious, though: how many colony drops had the UC folk tried to do before Zeta Gundam started? I didn't watch most UC shows...
Denzel is referring to three major colony drops that took place prior to Zeta. There's the famous Operation British which took the recently-gassed-by-Zeon Side 2 and was intended for Jaburo, the Federation HQ, but instead missed and wiped out Sydney, Australia. Then, there's the second attempt Zeon made with another colony they also gassed at the same time as Side 2 a few days later, but the Feds stopped that with nuclear weapons. Then, there's Operation Stardust from 0083. That colony was again, another attempt by the Delaz fleet to hit Jaburo, but thanks to the actions of the Albion's crew, it landed in....the Midwestern United States (I forget the exact location, but I think it was around the state of South Dakota or Nebraska). Of course, the whole thing was set up by corrupt Federation officials (most of whom went on to become the Titans) wanting an excuse to punish Zeon/condense their power/get their revenge on/something like that.

And now we meet Toshiya proper, and boy does his recasting come with an interesting story. As the story goes, Tomokazu Seki was around Banpresto's offices recording some lines (I forget for what exactly) and overheard that GodSigma was being chosen for the game. He immediately turned to the producers and begged for the Toshiya role, as Seki was a big fan of the show when he was younger. And lo and behold, Banpresto went with it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Fun fact about Lily Borjarno: Almost nobody ever calls her simply by her first name. It's always "Ms. Borjarno" or "Lily Borjarno". She commands that much of a level of respect and control.

And now we're getting to Aquarion, which has its ups and downs. On the one hand, with the right amount of management, Aquarion (the unit) is probably one of the most hilariously broken units in the game. On the other hand....its story is...just plain weird. "Shoji Kawamori tripping on all of the drugs" doesn't even begin to describe it. And that's before taking into account its sequel, Aquarion EVOL.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Glazius posted:

So why is Aquarion good for fighting the Cherubim? Does it get some kind of native-series bonus, or is it just that it's immune to their biggest schtick, the melee-range debuffs?
The Elements System is one of the reasons why Aquarion utterly wrecks Cherubim (and almost everything else in the game). The other reason is Apollo's Ace Bonus: A raw 40% bonus to total attack damage (not just melee or ranged attacks; EVERY single attack) when he fights Cherubim/Fallen Angels.

Basically, if you get Apollo's Ace Bonus, couple that with some appropriate training with the Aquarion cast to take advantage of the Elements System, the Fallen Angels will fall like dominoes. As will almost every opponent Aquarion faces. It is just THAT powerful, provided you abuse its special traits.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

This game doesn't have Ace Bonuses. It has Squad Leader Bonuses, which are always active.
:doh:
I mentioned that I get those terms mixed up, right? Because I do.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Daler Mehndi posted:

Shinn just can't catch a break. :sigh:
I'd argue otherwise: Shinn got a lot of good deals out of being in SRW. Aside from K and Scramble Commander 2, Shinn's been the initial character used for advertising SEED Destiny for all of its SRW appearances, Z1 included. And then in UX, he gets a combination attack with Lunamaria thanks to their VAs getting married. Hell, in UX, Shinn and Luna ARE the primary Destiny characters (in mentor roles to the Fafner cast) that you use, while Athrun and Kira don't even get involved until the end of the game.

And the two times Shinn's been screwed over was because SEED Destiny was played straight (Scramble Commander 2) or rushed through in order to focus on other stuff (K). Then again, rushing through the plot is basically K's modus operandi: "Want to enjoy the plot? Too bad, onto the next plot point! And stop complaining!"

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

quote:

More to the point, why is this guy Sato trying to destroy the Earth? He says that this colony is his daughter's grave, and it must go down in purifying fire for the world to change.
This line. This is where SEED Destiny decides that complex villains are not worth the effort and decides to hop onto the "so cartoonishly evil that even DC and Marvel wouldn't use them" villain train. Let's have this line sink in: Sato is willing to use his daughter's own grave site in order to wipe out the Earth's inhabitants. Yes, I understand that the death of a loved one makes people do erratic and unusual actions. But this behavior is just mind-numbingly stupid. Nobody, even someone drowning in grief, would go to these lengths (form/join up with a terrorist faction, hijack one of ZAFT's most sacred sites, and then drop it onto Earth) just to get revenge.

And yet, we're not even at the point where Destiny truly derails into bad comedy and lovely fanfiction. This is the point where the wheels start clattering in the lead-up to the derailment. Thankfully, Z takes steps to bring the train back on track...provided you do the right things.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Glazius posted:

You'd think with as many SRW games as he's been in, Bright would just start cutting people off in the middle of their politics rants.
Eh, he probably lets them finish in order to rate them against each other. Bright's heard enough of them to make a Do and Don't guide to political rants by this point.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

sunburnedcrow posted:

I must have been watching Aquarion wrong, because it always felt to me that Silvia had a one-sided love for her brother.
I'm just going to say it right now: You know the whole talk about reincarnations that just happened in game? Yeah, one thing Silvia and Sirius left off is that it should be phrased as "Reincarnations*", with the asterisk representing a Kawamori form of fine print that we'll get to much, much later in the game.

Basically, Celianne's reincarnation was not a 1-to-1 transfer of past memories/details/characteristics as described by Silvia.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, yes. We've seen two of Aquarion's special attacks, Mugen Punch and Moonsault Attack. If anyone is watching the series, I'd just like to give a heads-up: Mugen Punch is the most level-headed of these crazy attacks.

Yes, the "punch the fucker into the Moon" attack is the most sane attack Aquarion uses (in-show and here) to defeat the Cherubim. Just let that sink in for a moment.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You know how we've been talking about mechs that can break the game in half like Aquarion? We've just met one of the other pilots that break the game in half alongside Apollo: Kei. His Ace Bonus is amazing in its own right, but his eventual upgrade (and the aforementioned "exploit") coupled with Kei knowing Attack Again off the bat turns him into a goddamn murder machine. Granted, Kei sorta falls behind Apollo in this category simply because Apollo can take advantage of the stats of his co-pilots and get really insanely powerful attacks as we progress. On the flipside, Apollo's Ace Bonus is very series-specific, whereas Kei's applies to 99.9% of enemies from this point forward, making the gap between them shorter.

Oh, and if Kei flirting with Setsuko made you groan a little, he ain't stopping anytime soon. It's his Endearing Character TraitTM.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Doesn't help that Orguss' music comes off as really boring, at least as it's used in this game.
The track used for the Bronco II, I'll give you that one. It is dull and boring.

However, the other Orguss BGM used in the game? That I will gladly fight you over. :colbert:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Glazius posted:

Oh lord. Ripping a hole in the universe to protect a strategic asset? Disproportionate response, anyone?
Do note that Kei and Olson live (well, lived) in a world where the Cosmic Era Earth Federation exist. Disproportionate response is just a Thursday afternoon for them.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

thetruegentleman posted:

Out of curiosity, is Kei really so stupid that he thought he could outrun a bomb named more or less, "erase all existence"? Or is there even a remotely good explanation for why flipping that switch could seem even remotely a good idea?

Did he figure that losing the elevator for a few minutes before the colony drop made the whole battle pointless was just too big a risk? A self-destruct nuke is one thing; a black hole bomb is entirely another.
I think it's explained later on, but basically Kei didn't really know what he was fiddling with.

Except, things went way, WAY worse here than they did in Orguss proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So yeah, welcome to a big fanservice chapter. Neo and the Extendeds are here just so you can have fun with them. And allow Chaos and Abyss to have at least one game where you control them. Sadly, this is (as of now) the only time you can control those two Gundams. :sigh:

I love that even Edel thinks Djibril is plain crazy.

• Locked thread