Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Moxie Omen posted:

The answer to any and all 1980's/90's BMW fuel injection problems is Megasquirt.

DJ Commie posted:

Never, ever, ever modify a not working fuel injection system. You'll end up with the same thing, now even more broken. Its better to fix it first, then modify it, otherwise you're chasing demons you may have made worse.
If they verified it's not a vacuum leak or mechanical, I'd be ripping it out and MSing it for sure. Seems like they've narrowed it down to something electronic.

jamal posted:

Sounds more like a vacuum leak to me.
I'm thinking bad idle air controller. I know you said you replaced it, but can you delete it? Just cap it off at the intake plumbing and manifold, move the idle screw in the throttle body until it idles, and see how it responds? A MAF wouldn't cause something to go WOT like that. Something has got to be bypassing the throttle body, and it must be metered air since the car doesn't die/have no power. To me that screams idle air controller.

HotCanadianChick posted:

I can't imagine hiring a fabricator to custom machine replacement parts is any more expensive than buying factory Ferrari parts, so I doubt it matters that much...
At my side gig I do custom part manufacturing. I just finished some prototype replacement hardware for a 1936 Packard V12. The bolt is almost dimensionally identical to the original, well, as close to what I could make on a CNC compared to something originally hand turned. Each bolt is probably going to run around $50 or so. That's just one of 4 different pieces of hardware that need to be made from scratch. A drop in the bucket for a car worth 100s of thousands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

CarForumPoster posted:

Why would a bolt from those days not be made on a cam/hydraulic screw machine?
AFAIK there are no screw machines in town. I'm just a peon, doing what I'm told. Plus how it looks is more important, as they will be visible. Also wouldn't 4 different parts, only a handful of each, be killer in setup?

InitialDave posted:

Please tell me that you tested the original bolts, or got hold of the factory spec/drawing. If it's a critical bolt like for a head or a bearing cap, what it looks like is a lot less important than how it performs.
They are critical in appearance only. The were originally hand turned and are impossible to find door hardware parts.

Here's the first prototype (and simplest part):

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I'm pretty sure the majority of carbon rotors are drilled.

• Locked thread