Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Davin Valkri posted:

Alright! I guess this will start with the new year or what?

Explode with the new year, hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Just as planned.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yaaay.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
So! Let's talk scenario details. As I mentioned earlier, we'll be doing this game by splitting the applicants in two unofficial groups, going through different sides of the same story. Nobody is going to be hard-locked into one group, and people will likely meet everyone else at some point - the split is merely based on starting location and their likely role and nothing else. Each character will also start play with one Scenario Lois, a stake in the plot beyond their work assignments or the unfolding chaos. These are the tentative groups I have in mind right now:

Pandemonium Outside:

These characters will start at some point outside the USCU bank where the Moonlight Queen is stored, and will be dealing with the fallout of Pandora's destructive actions and the chaos she'll be stirring to cover her tracks and mask her presence. Their success will leave her with no easy way out and no backup. Their failure will necessitate the creation of several new graveyards to house all the bodies. Sofia, Katip, Ty and Madeleine will be part of this group.

Enemy Within:

These characters will be focusing their efforts on stopping Pandora from acquiring the Moonlight Queen, and many will start within the bank itself. Technically, succeeding at this objective is the focus of the UGN Agents' mission, but it won't be worth it if the first team cannot handle the chaos and too many people die. The consequences of failing to prevent the terrorist from acquiring the MQ are something that is best left unthought. George, Ashita, Conrad, Robin and Ra'id form this group.

One person's missing, of course. Roxie is unique because her choice for the Scenario Lois determines where she'll be starting. All of these are open for feedback and suggestions, so if there's anything you'd like to see tweaked or you have an even better idea, let me know!

Roxie: The Mark (One of the UGN Agents, Protection/Threat). You trailed this person's movements to Zurich. Against your better judgement, you'll be doing your damnedest to keep him/her safe. What is Guild thinking?

Conrad: Robert Perlbell, SIX exchange trader (Respect/Any). The proverbial honest man in a den of thieves, the reports you received indicate he is a hard-working man who cares deeply for his son, his one remaining family member...and who will almost certainly be targeted by Pandora in her efforts to overcome the USCU's extremely advanced security system. The freaky unit chief was not too forthcoming with the details, but Lukas was scheduled to attend a business summit at the Baur au Lac hotel today as part of his cover identity. Since Mr. Perlbell will also be in attendance, it's a good opportunity to keep an eye on him.

Ashita: Roann Weiss, Manager and Talent-Seeker (Any/Anxiety). Chief manager of USCU's HQ, he has also contributed a fair amount to the world through his academic pursuits and being constantly on the lookout for new talents for his second job and hobby at the Lumines Foundation, dedicated to fostering the growth of promising young individuals so they may develop their full potential. One day, you received a letter from this mysterious Mr. Weiss, who'd heard about you as a young promise in the field of physics, courtesy of a certain article. Intrigued, he invited you to Zurich on an all-expenses-paid trip to discuss the possiblity of adding you to the Foundation's class of the coming new year.

Robin: The Mystery (One of the UGN Agents, Any/Any). You are reminded of the Professor's words during Christmas break when you see this person. He described someone with exactly these looks, and told you they could put you in serious danger...or save your life from the Reaper's clutches. Are they working together? What is their plan? Why are they here?

Ty: The Mentor (One of the UGN Agents, Any/Any). You were brought onboard this operation for your skills at protecting others, with the job of keeping the other operatives safe, but your combat experience is lacking. One of the Overeds participating in this operation arrived with a few days to spare, and has been coaching you on how to use your talents skillfully. Let's hope it's enough.

Katip: Unit 805 (The Other Agents, Any/Enmity). Bastards! One job, that was all you had left before you could get out of the UGN's grasp, and then this dull, pasty palmtop-haired freak overrode everything and pulled you to Switzerland, setting you back who knows how far. They're not even trying to hide that they won't let you walk away, are they? Still, this is serious. There was something about the way he told you they needed an assassin that convinced you that this wasn't just making sure you couldn't cut your strings yet, looking over your fellow agents, you can see why: they really need someone competent to balance out the rookies and nutjobs on the team. You'll deal, somehow. How hard could this job be, after all?

Sofia: George Waggner (Any/Any). When you heard that you'd be meeting with an UGN Agent to receive your next assignment, you weren't expecting someone so...wild. Or smug, for that matter. He cut straight to the point and gave you the information you needed: Zurich, capture or takedown of a dangerous FH Agent, protecting a treasure in a vault. Simple enough. Still, as you travel to the city, you can't help but think about that man. There's something odd about him.

Madeleine: Ra'id Belcry (Any/Suspicion). You don't belong here. It's not that you mind being called for a high-risk operation - you looked for information on your target, and it's imperative that someone put a stop to her before more people can get hurt, but your commanding officer makes your blood boil - almost literally, in fact, as your Renegade almost pushed you to lash out at him the moment you met him, and standing in his presence for more than a few minutes left you feeling physically ill. Is he some kind of monster in diguise or something? You've kept your distance from him thus far, but you suspect you're not going to keep it that way forever...or that you won't have to stop whatever he's thinking about doing, for everybody else's sakes.

George: The Moonlight Queen (Any/Fear). Something's wrong with this operation. Something's really wrong. You felt it the minute you stepped into USCU's HQ, a voice in the back of your head, talking to you and beckoning you to the vault. It's a good thing the place's security system has been designed to stop even Overeds...whatever is inside that vault needs to stay there. You fear what may happen if Pandora gets too close...or you do.

Ra'id: Pandora (Respect/Repugnance). She must be stopped, and if possible, taken in alive. It's rare for such a complete madwoman to be so successful at her chosen career. You are already looking forward to speaking to her in a controlled environment and finding out what you can about how her psyche operates. The information could be instrumental for capturing other dangerous FH Agents. Why settle for anything less than perfect success, after all?

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.

Transient People posted:

Sofia: George Waggner (Any/Any). When you heard that you'd be meeting with an UGN Agent to receive your next assignment, you weren't expecting someone so...wild. Or smug, for that matter. He cut straight to the point and gave you the information you needed: Zurich, capture or takedown of a dangerous FH Agent, protecting a treasure in a vault. Simple enough. Still, as you travel to the city, you can't help but think about that man. There's something odd about him.

:smugdog:

Transient People posted:

George: The Moonlight Queen (Any/Fear). Something's wrong with this operation. Something's really wrong. You felt it the minute you stepped into USCU's HQ, a voice in the back of your head, talking to you and beckoning you to the vault. It's a good thing the place's security system has been designed to stop even Overeds...whatever is inside that vault needs to stay there. You fear what may happen if Pandora gets too close...or you do.

:staredog:

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Transient People posted:

Ashita: Roann Weiss, Manager and Talent-Seeker (Any/Anxiety). Chief manager of USCU's HQ, he has also contributed a fair amount to the world through his academic pursuits and being constantly on the lookout for new talents for his second job and hobby at the Lumines Foundation, dedicated to fostering the growth of promising young individuals so they may develop their full potential. One day, you received a letter from this mysterious Mr. Weiss, who'd heard about you as a young promise in the field of physics, courtesy of a certain article. Intrigued, he invited you to Zurich on an all-expenses-paid trip to discuss the possiblity of adding you to the Foundation's class of the coming new year.

'Hmm,' Ashita thought, reviewing the letter. 'This is almost too good to be true. Is this Therese's work? There's no way a local interest piece made it all the way to Zurich without some help. Therese is a sweetheart, it does seem like something she might do... no, there has to be more than that. She's way more focused on her job than on doing favors, I'll bet this is how they are trying to hook me in, keep me interested.'

'Well... alright then. Fine, I'll bite! They want to make it worth my while, I'll play along to see how much they will really bring to the table. Maybe they can put their money where their mouth is, or maybe there's more to it, but this might be my first real chance to see what lurks under the skin of the UGN. If I'm going to live up to what's expected of me, deciphering these kinds of schemes is the least I can do.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

quote:

Ty: The Mentor (One of the UGN Agents, Any/Any). You were brought onboard this operation for your skills at protecting others, with the job of keeping the other operatives safe, but your combat experience is lacking. One of the Overeds participating in this operation arrived with a few days to spare, and has been coaching you on how to use your talents skillfully. Let's hope it's enough.

Madeline "Red Queen" Magdeline
Earnestness/Anxiety

Ty sighed. He wasn't sure he was ready for this. The last four hours had been grueling. The Red Queen was merciless; her servant continually attacked over and over again until Ty's guard cracked.

"This isn't some training mission!" she had told him, "This isn't some cakewalk either!"

This is the real thing. He had to keep reminding himself that. He couldn't be the weak link; he knew Pandora's dossier by heart. He refused to let his doubt be what allowed the mission to fail.

Ty stood up and stretched. 700 hours tomorrow, she had said. He would be there, and he would be ready.

OmegaGoo fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 2, 2014

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Transient People posted:

Roxie: The Mark (One of the UGN Agents, Protection/Threat). You trailed this person's movements to Zurich. Against your better judgement, you'll be doing your damnedest to keep him/her safe. What is Guild thinking?

"Hi! This is Airwave Actual. If you're hearing this message then I'm not here right now. Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get - "

A deep, heavily modulated voice cuts her off. "Stop loving around, Roxie."

"Y - y - yes ma'am, sorry about that! I'm kinda in a tight spot right now, just being cautious is all. You need something?"

"I wouldn't be calling if I didn't. Explain why you're outside of your operating area and requesting backup."

"I'm tailing Catalyst like you asked me to, and I might be in over my head." She peeks out the corner of her window to check up on the crowd gathered outside the bank. "They're guarding some kind of crazy artifact and expecting a Fallen Hearts agent to show up, just like what I said in the last package I sent you. I got a room across the street from them."

"What's your confidence level on this?"

"High. High like Bob Marley."

"Explain."

"Well you see, Marley smoked a lot of - "

"Stop."

"Eh heh. Well, Catalyst is sort of the brains of the squad under the other two, right? You know that assistant of hers, Switchboard? I spearphished all of their passwords and encryption info off of her through email, so I hear everything they say. I think that poor girl still thinks there's some UGN radio operator out there that's as airheaded as she is." Roxie returns to her laptop to ensure that it's still recording all UGN communications. "What I'm saying is, this is so easy that I feel dirty about it. I think I'll send her a gift basket with a taunting message later. Or maybe I can go full catfish with the radio operator thing and start hitting on her. I'll see what I can get away with."

"Send an update twice per day. Why do you need backup?"

"Oh, I dunno. Just seven known overed UGN agents in one spot, plus some terrifying FH cell incoming. Also, I spotted two kids who match up in our overed database."

A long pause. "I'll see what I can do."

"Sparrow's a short plane trip away, right?"

"No promises. Any specifics on the artifact?"

"It's called Moonlight Queen and that's about all I've got. Everything else is rumors or vague nonsense. I bet they don't even know what it is."

A sigh. "Very well. It's good, but it's not what we need. Keep tailing Catalyst no matter what."

"Uh... Yeah. Got it, boss. Bye-bye."

Roxie's antenna ears fold down and the transmission ends.

Sofia's the mark. Conscious: Protection / Subconscious: Threat

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 2, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Transient People posted:

Madeleine: Ra'id Belcry (Any/Suspicion). You don't belong here. It's not that you mind being called for a high-risk operation - you looked for information on your target, and it's imperative that someone put a stop to her before more people can get hurt, but your commanding officer makes your blood boil - almost literally, in fact, as your Renegade almost pushed you to lash out at him the moment you met him, and standing in his presence for more than a few minutes left you feeling physically ill. Is he some kind of monster in diguise or something? You've kept your distance from him thus far, but you suspect you're not going to keep it that way forever...or that you won't have to stop whatever he's thinking about doing, for everybody else's sakes.

"The Red Queen". Most fellow UGN Agents presume the nickname is an obvious reference to her powers or her attitude, but that's not quite the truth. In 1973, a biologist by the name of Van Valen developed a hypothesis that evolution occurs not just in the cause of aiding reproduction, but also to overcome competitors in the same environment as a sort of biological arms race. It was named "The Red Queen hypothesis", after a quote from the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland:

"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place."

And right now, that's just the sort of strain meeting with her superior officer inflicts. Madeline's infection exists in fierce competition with most other viruses, to the point where she avoids touching most other Overeds. Despite it's dramatic nature, though, it's not something that necessarily weighs on her mind. Except around Belcry. It's well enough that she's been assigned outside, but at the same time she worries about what might be going on within. If she could observe him further, she might be able to discover what her infection is reacting to... but could her servants be trusted around the man? They have no mind of their own, true, but they do have a tendency to react to her slightest wish.

And with the feeling she gets around him, she just might wish him dead.

Feelings are unconscious curiosity / conscious suspicion.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Transient People posted:

Sofia sips a cup of tea and looks over reports on her tablet, cover to surreptitiously observe the unusual agent sitting nearer the front of their train car. A rather... puzzling individual. Youth, impetuousness, recklessness, and more than a little arrogance. Yet, also clearly trusted by the UGN and carrying himself with a degree of self-assurance more typical of an experienced agent, and an odd sort of deference to authority.

No, not deference. More primitive than that. Dominance/submission, like a wolf who knows it's place in the pack. As she considers, the other agent catches her looking and gives a toothy grin. Baring his teeth. Sofia frowns, and turns her attention back to the tablet. No, certainly not deference.

She leans over and taps the tablet on the forehead of her subordinate, startling the younger girl awake. Sofia manages to keep an indulgent smile off her face as Sano dumps her tablet, the detritus of her earlier snack, and smartphone onto the floor. Sofia holds up a hand to forestall an apology. "When you finish picking up, send a query to personnel," she says quietly. "I'd like to know more about the other agents assigned to this. I can already smell trouble." She glances back at Waggner. "And make his a priority."

She turns back to her tablet, and passes a handkerchief to Sano. "And you should wipe that drool off your face. We have work to do."

Conscious: Curiosity / Unconscious: Annoyance

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 2, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Transient People posted:

Once the OTHER brainiac turned away, George dropped most of his smile. He wasn't really in a smiling mood.

hswhedswidmasw sdofofdid, spdem

Geroge puts a hand on his forehead, beginning to sweat.

I already have enough going on in my head... I don't need another one of these. This is gonna be a problem.

Concious: Fear/ Unconcious: Euphoria

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 3, 2014

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
Since I just realized that I was missing something, while everybody confirms their Loises (or works out new ones), meet the unit chief, everyone!

A face one can trust, truly. Just ask George about it!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Transient People posted:

Robin: The Mystery (One of the UGN Agents, Any/Any). You are reminded of the Professor's words during Christmas break when you see this person. He described someone with exactly these looks, and told you they could put you in serious danger...or save your life from the Reaper's clutches. Are they working together? What is their plan? Why are they here?

Scenario Lois: Ra'id Belcry

*on an otherwise empty metro car, Christmas Eve*
"Oh, hello again, Dark Song. Merry Christmas."
"It's--you--!"
"Can a godfather not wish his godson a happy holiday? I even brought a gift!"
"A...what?"
"A message. You can call it a warning, if you must."
"What--"
"It's about a person. A...traitor...with white skin and black eyes."
"You mean like dark eyes?"
"I mean black eyes. Here is his picture. The whites are blacks. Much like his allegiance. He works for the Grim Reaper."
"You mean he kills people?!"
"Undoubtedly. He may kill you too. Or maybe he'll spare you the scythe? It would not be the first time you've escaped the bones of death, after all."
"Why are you telling me this?"
"So that you can know and act when the time comes. Good luck, Dark Song. Here's my stop."

Conscious: Distrust. Obviously someone who might threaten Robin's life again is not going to go over well.
Unconscious: Potential. But what if it goes the other way?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

quote:

Katip: Unit 805 (The Other Agents, Any/Enmity). Bastards! One job, that was all you had left before you could get out of the UGN's grasp, and then this dull, pasty palmtop-haired freak overrode everything and pulled you to Switzerland, setting you back who knows how far. They're not even trying to hide that they won't let you walk away, are they? Still, this is serious. There was something about the way he told you they needed an assassin that convinced you that this wasn't just making sure you couldn't cut your strings yet, looking over your fellow agents, you can see why: they really need someone competent to balance out the rookies and nutjobs on the team. You'll deal, somehow. How hard could this job be, after all?

Katip grinds his teeth as he looks at the jet's window. They were getting closer to Zurich's airport, and from there to whatever his handlers want him to go. God drat it all, if he didn't hated the FH with all his might, he'd sympathize with their goals to destroy the organization. His childhood desire for vengeance made him into a tool, and once he realized that, he was far too gone to walk away from being the UGN's dog. Yet he still dreamed to get a normal life and to make amends with his sister.

He didn't knew about his partners, but it's likely they are rookies, poor bastards dragged into the same assassination career as him... May God help them, then.

Feelings are Conscious: Annoyance/ Unconscious: Protective

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Transient People posted:

Conrad: Robert Perlbell, SIX exchange trader (Respect/Any). The proverbial honest man in a den of thieves, the reports you received indicate he is a hard-working man who cares deeply for his son, his one remaining family member...and who will almost certainly be targeted by Pandora in her efforts to overcome the USCU's extremely advanced security system. The freaky unit chief was not too forthcoming with the details, but Lukas was scheduled to attend a business summit at the Baur au Lac hotel today as part of his cover identity. Since Mr. Perlbell will also be in attendance, it's a good opportunity to keep an eye on him.

Conrad looked over the file again. It didn't assuage his feelings any.

"A good man. drat." Even if he wasn't a good man, Conrad would have defended him. But good men are few and far between, and they are precious.

He grit his teeth unconsciously. "Why me?"

Conscious: Protective / Unconscious: Annoyance

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

IC thread up here, let's get this show on the road now that everyone's ready! Remember to roll your Encroachment Rate increase when you enter a scene (a d10) and put it in your post, everyone, as well as make sure to note your current ER somewhere in your post. It'll make keeping track of it much, much easier.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Jesus, Robin is going to be fricking redlined once this scene is over! Once we finally beat him, TP, you need to post that thing's stat line over here. Seriously, what's this thing made of?!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Jesus, Robin is going to be fricking redlined once this scene is over! Once we finally beat him, TP, you need to post that thing's stat line over here. Seriously, what's this thing made of?!

Sure, why not? Incidentally, I may as well share the Scene 2 enemies now that they're all dead. Those were Gjaum Crushers in high numbers. Surprisingly effective, weirdly enough.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Late, but better late than never. Have some bat stats!

Neon Genesis Electrobat

Stats posted:

HP: 75
ER: 100% (+3 Dice, +1 Level)

Syndromes: Black Dog/Hanuman/Neumann (Tertiary)

Stats: 2/9/5/2

Move Speed: 30 (Special: Loses 5 movespeed when below 50% health)

Powers: Concentrate 3 (Black Dog), Concentrate 3 (Hanuman), Reflexes 3 (Hanuman), Acrobat 1, Siren's Song 1, Stun Bolt 1, Attack Program 2, Counter 1, Residual Lightning 2, Cyber Leg 1, Accelerated Time 5, Accelerated Time II 5.

Pretty simple setup: Dodge well with those Reflexes, apply status effects (most importantly Taint), then run for it like a devil while the agents are whittled down, using super high movespeed to keep away. After five turns of moving at full rock-'n-roll, the bat is outta there.

There's just one little problem: Taint is absurdly lethal when nobody can cure status effects and I underestimated how good it was. 'Whoops'. This thing would be a pretty decent bossfight for four to six PCs, never mind just two. It wasn't really trying to fight until it got cornered, but even then, it was absolutely no laughing matter. To paraphrase the developer of Dwarf Fortress, 'I think I made the bat too hardcore'. It was a good lesson on what makes a good bossfight, though!

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Phew! Get caught up in life for a day and I'm 30 posts behind!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

So, has this just faded out, or did I miss something? It's been nearly two weeks without Transient's posts.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Nope, nothing besides life wreaking havoc on my schedule. It is inexcusable that it took this long to get the new scene starts up, but I wanted to make sure I'd be able to follow up on them, so that nobody would have to sit around waiting a few days for answers. Everything should be sorted out now, so expect the usual pace to resume in a few days once everyone's gotten back into the swing of things!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Is it possible to see what's going on in the room, or is it closed off? I'm pretty confused as to how everything is working map-wise.

Of course, Roxie's action might render the first question moot.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Just to clarify the setup, the door is closed, Roxie's attack just got eaten by it (literally eaten), Conrad and Robin are on the far side, and everybody else is still in the house. Since things are getting pretty confusing, I would suggest editing in a subheader

Like So

below your names so everybody else can tell where you are right now, but it's not mandatory at all so long as the actual post makes it clear where you are.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Is there a good way to contact you privately, Transient?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

If need be, you can send me a PM through IRC. I'm around pretty much all day. I should also be getting PMs on the forums soonish, so that should also be a possibility a few days from now.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Will roll/post tonight on IRC.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

So...are we done here, then? :(

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I talked to TransientPeople and it's dead.

Good news though! I should be running Season 1 using some info about how Thin Ice might have ended in a month or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Well, that's hopeful, at least.

• Locked thread