Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Meet AngelVid

For $20 dollars you buy a movie which is edited for language, sex and violence. Once you are done you sell it back to them for $19. What could go wrong?

Well a lot

quote:

Warner Bros, Disney and 20th Century Fox have scored a significant legal success by convincing a California federal judge to issue a preliminary injunction against VIdAngel. The order from U.S. District Judge Andre Birotte Jr. came late Monday and represents a huge setback for an upstart tech service that has rallied many in the social conservative community and raised about $10 million for its legal costs from thousands of investors.

Part of the ruling

quote:

Birotte orders the plaintiffs to put up a $250,000 bond, and in return, enjoins VidAngel from the circumvention, copying, streaming activity that has prompted the lawsuit.

Vidangel responds

quote:

"Hollywood studios have followed a repeated pattern in their decades-long campaign to put movie filtering services out of business by seeking a shut-down decision in trial court," said VidAngel chief Neal Harmon. "Previously, such a decision has signaled the end of the legal battle. As such, while we are extremely disappointed — for the countless people who rely on our service regularly to enjoy movies using filters — our customers have given us not just the mandate to fight this battle all the way to the Supreme Court, but the financial resources as well. We will aggressively pursue an appeal and take this case to a higher level where we have always believed we will ultimately prevail.”

Does Vidangel stand a chance?

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There's no precedent in copyright law that protects what they are doing.

Hell, people who just edit cuts from TV shows get their modified videos pulled on copyright grounds all the time online.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Watch the Trump Supreme Court gut copyright law in the name of watching bleeped movies

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DStecks posted:

Watch the Trump Supreme Court gut copyright law in the name of watching bleeped movies

Net gain IMO but I promise they love the money from ip factories like Disney and American pharmaceutical and biotech firms much more than they love Baby Jesus and his scandalized sensibilities.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Isn't this exactly the same thing someone tried to do with physical media that got exactly the same book thrown at them?

Edit: Considering who they're being sued by I seriously doubt they actually have the rights to actually rent those movies out so they really don't have a leg to stand on.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 18, 2016

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Isn't this exactly the same thing someone tried to do with physical media that got exactly the same book thrown at them?

Edit: Considering who they're being sued by I seriously doubt they actually have the rights to actually rent those movies out so they really don't have a leg to stand on.

Cleanflix, which has a great documentary

Here is a response from Parents Television Council and a weird accusation

quote:

Tim Winter, president of the Parents Television Council, took aim at the artistic pretensions of the studios and directors. He noted that Hollywood was quite prepared to edit out the Christian content of the beloved children’s animated series VeggieTales and to edit profanity-blocking bleeps into the reality television program Duck Dynasty, about a Christian family of outdoorsmen, “even when no actual profanity was in fact being used. The network wanted to create the false impression in order to bring more ‘edginess’ to the show, despite the fact that the show was so popular precisely because it was squeaky clean.”

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wait, when did someone edit out the religion in Veggie Tales?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The Parent's Television Council is a hilarious group.

L. Brent Bozell III used to run the group, and you all know what a piece of work that man is. They've seemed to slow down recently, but maybe I just didn't look in the right places.

There are a few problems with this.

1. The main problem is distribution. You can't just resell someone else's work.
2. Hollywood doesn't typically offer censored versions of their movies for sale because the number of people who like Star Wars but thinks it has too much sex is a very small group.
3. Jingle All the Way? Seriously. That's a movie you've edited and are advertising?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Hmm I wonder what movies these are supposed to mimic.

https://youtu.be/osp-Z35eZrw

quote:

Josh passes through a town and foils a robbery perpetrated by The Barbarians, an outlaw biker gang led by Hawg. After a series of earthquakes and an unnatural flash fills the sky, Josh is forced to battle through the bikers to make his way home.

https://youtu.be/j8ucGV4ZFRk

quote:

With the Rapture now history, traveling salesman Josh becomes a warrior on the road in his plan to return home, but God guides others to help make Josh part of His plan.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

My lord that cast is incredible

That woman doesn't even get any billing either

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
You forgot the third movie, buddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3XDrgUJeiI

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ah I see, a giant black horse is about to devour the leads and they seem very unconcerned

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
So its totally cool to show violence like a guy walking into town and mowing down some people with a silenced gun, as long as the overall message is pro-Christian?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Basebf555 posted:

So its totally cool to show violence like a guy walking into town and mowing down some people with a silenced gun, as long as the overall message is pro-Christian?

I'm guessing he just shots the people that didn't get raptured, which means they aren't really people after all. or something.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Three movies in and the sexy leather-clad woman still doesn't get billing.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Basebf555 posted:

In later Left Behind books Jesus shows up personally to explode people with magic.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

my old church had about the same tolerance for both sex and violence, which is to say none. It was the one thing i respected about it in the end, even as i continued to jack off and watch violent action movies

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Forgall posted:

In later Left Behind books Jesus shows up personally to explode people with magic.

I picture the Vietnam scene in Watchmen

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I picture the Vietnam scene in Watchmen
That's pretty much exactly it.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Hmm I wonder what movies these are supposed to mimic.

I honestly don't know...

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
All three of the Revelation Road movies used to be up on Netflix now it's only the first. I remember because I watched all three back to back. It was a long night.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just watch Doomsday instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVoqCbUKhnA

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

McSpanky posted:

Three movies in and the sexy leather-clad woman still doesn't get billing.

That's Andrea White, David White's wife, by the way.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

coyo7e posted:

Because Ghost Riders in the Sky is a great song so why not turn it into a rap about causing Satan's kingdom to fall?

Also what the gently caress does that even mean? Didn't Satan already fall? Wasn't that the whole point of him ruling hell? If you were to destroy hell wouldn't that mean that all the damned souls and devils would be loosed on earth and maybe heaven too? Don't shoot satan bro, bad idea

This kinda depends on which rules of christianity you follow. There's one where satan is everything bad, thus satan fell from heaven, satan tempting eve, etc.
Then there's another, though much smaller, group that understands that the snake was an animal, not satan nor possessed, and Lucifer is not satan but a king of old who fell from grace for declaring himself higher than god.
If you can get two people with either viewpoint together, watching them argue this stuff is amazing

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

muscles like this! posted:

Wait, when did someone edit out the religion in Veggie Tales?

More like how, religion is like the whole show

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly, is that any worse than the poo poo in the bible?
"Well I, the all powerful, all knowing creator of the universe see you folk have decided to build your homes in land I just decided should belong to these other people. So rather than use my mighty powers to resolve this, I'm going to instruct them to swarm in and kill everything that breathes in your home. Have a nice day"

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 21, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

SocketWrench posted:

More like how, religion is like the whole show

Easy, just make it a compilation of Larry's songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUkpE16b56g

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BuckarooBanzai posted:

That's Andrea White, David White's wife, by the way.

That makes it worse on several levels.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looks like Silence doesn't get into the Christian canon: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/01/09/silence-will-be-forsaken

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Fortunately, Catholics get a larger canon. The church's seeming narrowness hides its multitudes.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Shageletic posted:

Looks like Silence doesn't get into the Christian canon: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/01/09/silence-will-be-forsaken

Funny, because the ending is definitely pro-religion and the movie has an entire title card that says it's dedicated to the japanese christians.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Hey folks, help me out: about a year ago this thread recommended an ultra-low budget Christian dystopia on Netflix where Christianity has been made illegal. The main character is a Breen-esque hacker who ends the movie by e-mailing the Bible to everyone in the world. Nearly the whole thing was shot in people's church group living rooms. Anybody remember the title of this one?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's that Jack Van Impe-produced one where it's after the rapture and true believers make a pirate television station to show tapes of Jack Van Impe's show to spread the gospels. That's probably not it, but it was mostly filmed in people's houses and in the Jack Van Impe studio and editing bay. It was probably pre-internet, actually.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Max22 posted:

Hey folks, help me out: about a year ago this thread recommended an ultra-low budget Christian dystopia on Netflix where Christianity has been made illegal. The main character is a Breen-esque hacker who ends the movie by e-mailing the Bible to everyone in the world. Nearly the whole thing was shot in people's church group living rooms. Anybody remember the title of this one?

Evangelical remake of The Matrix on a 50 dollar budget sounds great.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

There's that Jack Van Impe-produced one where it's after the rapture and true believers make a pirate television station to show tapes of Jack Van Impe's show to spread the gospels. That's probably not it, but it was mostly filmed in people's houses and in the Jack Van Impe studio and editing bay. It was probably pre-internet, actually.

The cascading logic lapses in this premise are pretty great.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
"True believers" on Earth "after" the rapture, broadcasting evangelical TV on a "pirate" station...

Would be cool if the reveal was that they were Satan's minions causing hell on earth with their bullshit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Well the antichrist made the bible illegal, so old episodes of Jack Van Impe is the only way to tell people about Jesus. No idea if Jack was aware that he replaced Jesus with himself in the movie he made. There's a touching scene where a lady visits her grandmother only to discover that she's gone and her clothes are in a pile on a chair. But pinned to them is a note explaining what happened that urges her to watch the large box of Jack Van Impe presents vhs tapes that's out in the garage. This is how the resistance begins.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Is it this? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2188907/

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

YES, thank you. Highly recommended.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Jack Gladney posted:

. There's a touching scene where a lady visits her grandmother only to discover that she's gone and her clothes are in a pile on a chair. But pinned to them is a note explaining what happened that urges her to watch the large box of Jack Van Impe presents vhs tapes that's out in the garage. This is how the resistance begins.

Isn't one part of fundamentalist dogma that nobody knows when the rapture will arrive? So the old lady would have had to spend her life with a note pinned to her chest, just in case, so that whenever the Rapture arrived she would be prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Jack Gladney posted:

This is Tribulation with Gary Busey and it was the first time I learned about the Rapture; I was still Catholicish at the time and actually thought the movie was some ghastly caricature of Christianity made by people who weren't Christian, since early on in the movie a character says "it's called The Rapture and every Christian in the world believes it".

They defeat Satan at the end by tricking him into talking on camera about how evil he is.

• Locked thread