Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009
All-hands meeting in WCW IRC tonight to discuss this latest escalation of the Monday Night Wars and to openly mock WWF for losing Maivia. Maybe 8:00 PM EST?

I'd also like to throw out an open call for anybody who has been reading the thread and itching to start contributing to come play with the big boys--your fresh ideas are more than welcome at Turner, and we'd be pumped to have you join the team.

Q7kid fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Q7kid posted:

All-hands meeting in WCW IRC tonight to discuss this latest escalation of the Monday Night Wars and to openly mock WWF for losing Maivia. Maybe 8:00 PM EST?

I'd also like to throw out an open call for anybody who has been reading the thread and itching to start contributing to come play with the big boys--your fresh ideas are more than welcome at Turner, and we'd be pumped to have you join the team.

So? We're already having a meeting right now, and we don't need to announce it (8:00 PM EST). Also, who said we lost Maivia?

Also, anybody wanting to screw over WCW, here's your chance! Join us now and win!

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

So? We're already having a meeting right now, and we don't need to announce it (8:00 PM EST). Also, who said we lost Maivia?
It appears he reverted, at least in part, to USWA when, in your infinite wisdom, you told USWA to go screw in your failed bid to get Jeff Jarrett.

Truly some higher-level machinations there, Titan. Bravo.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Alright WCW gentleman I am going to be going to ask whether or not we can have major discussion meetings about the future of the company over Skype in the future due to the fact that I do work and I do not want to miss anything and have these discussions have happened while I am there and not in a chat room where I can't react. Reason being I Drive for work and because of this I can't text. And the fact I am doing this with the speech to text feature on my phone and I've still almost run off the road 3 times due to having to correct stupid typos.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Skunkrocker posted:

Alright WCW gentleman I am going to be going to ask whether or not we can have major discussion meetings about the future of the company over Skype in the future due to the fact that I do work and I do not want to miss anything and have these discussions have happened while I am there and not in a chat room where I can't react. Reason being I Drive for work and because of this I can't text. And the fact I am doing this with the speech to text feature on my phone and I've still almost run off the road 3 times due to having to correct stupid typos.

EDIT:

JoeRules posted:

Secondly, I miss the awesome RAW/Nitro breakdowns and message board postings that went on in the last thread. Take up the flag for your company and put some effort in: starting NOW (in regards to this little mini-game and moving forward) some favoritism will be shown to companies that add a little liveliness to the thread. In the same vein, if anyone following cares enough to be a "media representative" I might even open a new google doc with real and fake leaked news for you to report on.

As the head promo guy for WCW I volunteer for the position of message board douchebag.

I also would like to invite Bard Maddox back to be the media rep. He did such a good job. :v:

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Initial feedback for Day 1 offers has been posted in your doc. Rejections may be immediate, but there are no immediate acceptances - even if your feedback is "Holy poo poo, you wanna pay me how much?!", it takes ~1 week to sign.

I'll start inputting Nitro and RAW momentarily.

Saturday Night was considered a B-, and rated a 0.22. Superstars was considered a C- and was rated a 0.18.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

JoeRules posted:

Initial feedback for Day 1 offers has been posted in your doc. Rejections may be immediate, but there are no immediate acceptances - even if your feedback is "Holy poo poo, you wanna pay me how much?!", it takes ~1 week to sign.

I'll start inputting Nitro and RAW momentarily.

Saturday Night was considered a B-, and rated a 0.22. Superstars was considered a C- and was rated a 0.18.

Joe please don't run Nitro yet. There is a booking issue that needs to be addressed.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Someone needs to fix it ASAP, then. I want to run both shows by midday today.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Nitro ran, RAW is running now, and here's a little tidbit from the Observer.

Observer posted:

The kid with all the potential in the world, Rocky Maivia, was offered contracts with both WCW and WWF, however, I'm hearing that Rocky flatly refused the offer of one company outright, not even listening to details. I guess he's got his mind made up.

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

JoeRules posted:

Nitro ran, RAW is running now, and here's a little tidbit from the Observer.

Executives around Turner offices were heard to say, "the grandson of Peter Maivia and son of Rocky Johnson? Yeah, THAT'LL put butts in seats."

Rumors that bitter tears followed are unsubstantiated.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Because I'm in my work truck and have a lack of ability to communicate effectively, I will say this here. Hey WWF, have some public wcw drama.

I didn't mean to erase that post. And afterwards I couldn't figure out on my phone how to undo it. Cell phones don't have ctrl-z after all. So when I wrote "fix this poo poo" which by the way was because I couldn't see what I was typing it was so Joe could undo my fuckup. It wasn't a dig at you.

So I'm sorry my new phone sucks so bad. I had an awesome phone with an actual loving keyboard with which I could work on the doc even at work and thanks to people thinking touchscreens are so cool I can't get that anymore. This was a user error that I was trying to fix and I couldn't. Not from my phone. Maybe you all can do game poo poo from work but I can't anymore. I just don't want to be left out because I have a life. Okay?

gently caress. :smith:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

quote:

<USENET REPORT FROM USER: B1GB055M4N@aol.com>

So Raw sure was a thing. Here's my low down on what happened:

Before the dark matches, Marlena cut a promo (a dark promo, they must really think high of her) something something face turn she's managing the wild sparks now. I guess this was OK but who really cares?

4 dark matches this time, WWF must be testing the waters carefully with all that new talent. In the first one Tatanka beat Bob Holly (with Marlena) pretty easily. What was that I said about new talent? Match was short and not very good, Tatanka seemed off his game.

In dark match #2, some new guy I forgot the name of (Reckless something I dunno) beat Sho Funaki (w/Mr. Fuji). Match looked like it could go either way. The crowd weren't into this at all, it really put their mood down.

Next, some team called the Can-Am Connection (who the gently caress comes up with these dumb names anyway seriously?) went up against the team of Barry Horowitz and Aldo Montoya, who I predict to be the next breakout tag team in the WWF, after the Rad- Oh hey look the match already ended before I finished typing, new guys won, and the crowd hated this one too. Despite my previous joke, the jobber team? Actually pretty great chemistry! As for the new guys, one of them looked WAY better than the other, think he was called Furnace or something (I don't get it).

In the final non-main dark match, Edge was again accompanied by Jake Roberts and beat... Dick Togo. Dick. To go. Yeah sure whatever WWF, may as well call a guy Sexton hardcastle while you're at it. Dick was accompanied by Kaz Hayashi. Both guys were seen as jobber so the crowd just couldn't give a poo poo. Rightfully so, the match was utter garbage from start to finish. Why is Jake managing Edge again anyway? He's face, right?

Now for the televised stuff. First match is Bradshaw vs Savio Vega. Bradshaw won in an open match. It was OK, better than the dark matches for sure, but nothing special.

Michaels came out to cut a promo on Cornette. He said that KOTR is only 2 weeks away and taht he won't screw up like he did on last week's Raw. "This time, I'm ready for a fight!" Cue Stone Cold, and he cuts a promo in the style you'd expect: "You come out here Shawn Michaels, and say you're ready for a fight! Like that's significant! I know one man who's always ready to fight, his name is Stone Cold Steve Austin! And if you ain't, then maybe that title belt would fit me more than it'd fit you!" HBK didn't look pleased, and challenged Austin to a match in the main event, tonight!

Next up, the Bodydonnas go up against the Kid Rockers. Following in the footsteps of his partner, Skip is now referred to as Chris Candido. WWF must have realised that his real name sounds dumb and changed his in ring name accordingly. Pritchard absolutely dominated the match until Candido tagged himself in for a hot tag. He fucks up and gets reversed for the pin. WWF aren't even being subtle about who they care about. I'm honestly starting to grow on Kid and Janrtty as a team, and Sunny continues to be a good valet.

After the match Pritchard was none too pleased at Candido loving up, and the argument soon got physical. Sunny intervened, but when Pritchard tried to protect her, he ended up on the receiving end of a beating from both Sunny and Candido! I... Think this makes Pritchard face? Whatever, I don't really care, and it looked like the crowd didn't either.

Next we get Hakushi vs David Finlay. WWF have been showing a lot of new faces lately. Hakushi wins in an open match, but he seemed kind of out of it today.

Next, Phatu goes up against one of WWF's new guys, Rhino. New guy ain't so lucky as some of his contemperaries and takes the loss, but it was an open match.

Backstage, Pritchard grabs a mic and cuts a promo on Candido and Sunny. "You have made this VERY clear that the Bodydonnas, former strongmen and lady, are done for! Fine! Be like that, CAN-DIE-DO! I am no longer Tom Pritchard, cousin of Chris Candido! I am now Mr.- MAKE THAT Dr.!- Tom Pritchard, new age hero of Memphis and writer of your demise!" So I guess he's a fully singles guy now. I guess I can think of worse people to give a push, and they say Vince is high on the guy so whatever, I guess. Maybe he'll surprise us, but somehow I doubt it.

After that we get Piper's Pit, where he at first talks about his match with Taker. This eventually morphs into him insulting Roddy in typical Goldust fashion. "You see, Roddy, I'm a star, you're just an old relic. A silent movie in a talkie world, clinging on to the new in a failing attempt to stay relevant. I'm dazzling Technicolor, and you're nothing but a dull... *ruffles fingers through Piper's hair* grey...", before he can finish, however, jericho interferes from ringside with a "WILL YOU PLEASE SHUT... THE HELL... UP!" Jericho shouts at Goldy for a little bit before Monsoon comes out and declares a match between Jericho and Goldust, RIGHT NOW! Whenever Goldust gets a mic are some of my favourit segments of Raws, and this time was no different. Piper was just as good as Goldy, and Jericho wasn't half bad either. Didn't really dig Monsoon's work, though.

So Jericho/Goldust. Goldust has control of the match for a good while until the Undertaker's bell tolls and the lights go out! When the lights come back on Goldust is absolutely freaking out, but Taker is nowhere to be seen! The distraction is enough for Jericho to lock in the Walls of Jericho for the victory. Cool match, but maybe Jericho should have got in some more offense.

Next up is Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs Bart Gunn in a 1st round KOTR match. Bart is of course with Billy, and HHH has Austin in his corner. Austin has a mic (they sure seem to wanna give him a lot of promo time this show) and shoots his mouth while they go down the ramp. "YOU MAY LIKE TO DRESS UP IN YOUR LITTLE HATS AND PLAY COWBOY, BUT I'M MORE SOUTHERN THAN THE BOTH OF YA, AN' ME AND HEMSLEY HERE ARE BETTER OUTLAWS THAN EITHER A YOU LITTLE SACKS A CRAP ARE EVER GONNA BE! AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE!"

As for the match, it started off fairly simply until HHH slammed Bart to the outside and into the barricade. He then beats him down and hurries back into the ring at a 6 count. Billy tries to help his brother up, but eats a Stunner for his efforts. HHH advances in the tournament by countout.

Next Cornette comes out with his camp, who are about to face the Wild sparks (yay...) and Kaz Hayashi. I honestlt can't say I care about these guys as a team any more than I care about them as singles guys. I suppose it doesn't matter though, because the camp goes over pretty quickly as you'd expect. Vader did most of the work, as is becoming a trend in his matches as of late. Not that I'm complaining, Vader looked good out there.

Now for our (televised) main event, HBK vs Stone Cold with HHH. Match is pretty open and lasts a decent amount of time. Near the end, HBK sidesteps a gut kick, sweeping Austin and locking in a figure 4 leglock. HHH interferes by trying to pull Austin towards the ropes, but the ref sees and HBK gets the win anyway by DQ. Afterwards, the Two Man Power Trip double team to beat on HBK until Chris Jericho comes to make the save! I guess that wasn't just a one night thing. The two manage to run off TMPT to end the show. This was a good main event, Jericho looked good again, I think this kid's going places.

The dark main was Undertaker and Ultimate Warrior vs Goldust and Mankind. The faces went over in an open match. Warrior seemed off his game.

Overall, a good Raw, but not what I'd call great. If I were to grade it, I'd say about a C-. I felt it should have been way better given the content, but the crowd just couldn't get into it after the dark matches. They were really a perfect storm of badness.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Skunkrocker posted:

stuff
Dude, it's a game. Chill.

WCW MONDAY NITRO posted:

- DARK MATCH: Lance Storm defeats El Dandy. No one knew these guys, but it was a good match.

- DARK MATCH: Christian Cage and Rey Misterio Jr. defeat Border Patrol or whatever the hell they're called. This match blew.

- DARK MATCH: Sabu, Rob Van Dam, and Too Cold Scorpio defeats Terry Gordy, Big Bubba Rogers, and One Man Gang when Scorpio pins Gang. Pretty solid match.

- In a rematch from Slamboree to open Nitro, The Great Muta cleanly defeats Eddy Guerrero with the moonsault press.

- Kevin Sullivan is in the Commissioner's office with Deputy Commissioner Rick Rude. Rude tells Sullivan that WCW has a pay-per-view to promote, and he has been instructed by Curt Hennig to determine who will face The Giant in the potentially final match of the Dungeon gauntlet series for the WCW World Championship at the Great American Bash. Sullivan brushes this off, suggesting Giant likely won't even make it that far--he will face the monster Meng one-on-one tonight. Rude persists, but says he will allow Sullivan to select which remaining Dungeon member will face Giant. He acknowedges that certainly Sullivan must consider his strategy, and that he will give Sullivan until the end of the night to have his answer. The crowd is pretty hot tonight.

- Dusty Rhodes invites Hulk Hogan out to the ring for an interview, and Hogan obliges...carrying a familiar-looking title belt? Rhodes inquires about the belt, and Hogan reiterates his recent claims that WCW's titles are worthless because "the Hulkster ain't holding them, brother." He brandishes this new title belt and confirms that it is the AWA World Heavyweight Championship, a title he defeated Nick Bockwinkel for in June 1982. He acknowledges that the dead promotion never formally recognized the reign, but says his millions of Hulkamaniacs the world over knew the truth--that he was the only true world champion, that no man other than the Hulkster can hold a title belt and call himself the best. He proudly displays the belt, which he also refers to as the "Hulkamania World Championship," and declares he will only defend it against "worthy opponents," though he openly questions whether anyone in WCW is worthy of facing the Hulkster.

"Macho Man" Randy Savage emerges, calling Hogan delusional and a liar--he notes that Hogan's spiral into self-serving egomania began when Savage proved he was better than Hogan by beating the clock and earning a shot at the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. He says he has not and will not forgive Hogan for screwing him out of the real world title and for stabbing him in the back, and formally extends a challenge to Hogan for a match at the Great American Bash. Hogan accepts, promising to finish what he started at Slamboree, but declares the match a non-title bout, telling Savage, "you're not on my level, jack." Savage shrugs, saying that's fine--call it the AWA World Heavyweight Championship, call it the "Hulkamania World Championship," but all it really is is Hogan running his mouth. He'll still beat Hulkster, oh yeah, but he's keeping his eyes on the real prize: the WCW Heavyweight Title. Savage says he'll get back there once Hogan is put in his place for good. Uh, yeah, the crowd is REALLY hot tonight.

- Commissioner Curt Hennig--who the commentators note is a former AWA World Heavyweight Champion himself--is watching the Hogan interview on a monitor and is openly disgusted, muttering "Hulkamania World Championship..." to himself. The Road Warriors burst into the Commissioner's office and demand to face Harlem Heat tonight, furious at their ambush last Monday and the unresolved brawl from Saturday Night. Hennig obliges, but says any tag action between the teams will have to wait until the PPV--tonight, it's singles matches.

- Psicosis defeats Billy Kidman in the opening round of the Cruiserweight Title tournament. Not the worst match ever, but it really slowed the momentum the show had going.

- A scheduled singles match between Jim Duggan and Steve "Mongo" McMichael is suddenly disrupted before the opening bell when the lights go out and the now familiar, but still unexplained, wings-flapping noise is heard. Following the resounding crack of chairshots, the lights come back on to reveal Duggan and McMichael laid out, and the official is forced to wave the match off. Some of the crowd are booing.

- Madusa approaches a sullen Billy Kidman in the locker room and consoles him about his cruiserweight tournament match loss. She confides in him that she has heard tell of a man with strong influence who could change Kidman's life and career for the better. She says she will try to get an audience with him in the interests of helping Kidman. Kidman, for his part, seems confused and noncommittal. I'm not sure if he was supposed to act confused, or if he was caught off guard and had just gotted really high or something. I'm not even sure he knew there were cameras.

- The Barbarian, The Shark, and Hugh Morrus defeat The Steiner Brothers and Konnan in six-man tag team action when Ron Simmons interferes against Konnan, allowing Shark to crush Konnan with the Shark Bomb for the pin. Teddy Long joins the commentary team during the contest to hype his charge Ron Simmons and the US Title contest between Simmons and Konnan at the Great American Bash.

- Road Warrior Hawk defeats Stevie Ray in a singles match with a flying clothesline.

- Video Package: Glacier is shown in super slo-mo executing a running Cryon-Bomb on an unidentified robed figure. Before impact, the screen fades to a "Blood Runs Cold" title card, which itself dissolves to a second title card: "GLACIER."

- VK Wallstreet defeats Marcus Bagwell in a singles contest when he hits Bagwell with the steel briefcase behind the referee's back. Bagwell puts up a strong performance despite this.

- Scotty Riggs runs out to check on Bagwell post-match, only to find himself brained by Wallstreet's steel briefcase as well.

- Booker T defeats Road Warrior Animal when Stevie Ray slips him the slapjack, allowing him to hit Animal and get the pinfall.

- Curt Hennig is out for the contract signing for Ric Flair vs. Arn Anderson. Anderson comes out with Benoit and Woman, Flair comes out alone. At the table, Anderson points out how Flair's days of reckless abandon have led to him losing his focus as a wrestler, and, as a result, losing the Four Horsemen. Flair remarks Anderson is a low-life backstabber and that, without Ric Flair, there wouldn't be a Four Horsemen--Ric Flair IS the Four Horsemen. Anderson points out that it's hard to lead a four-man band when you've got no one backing you up--Flair doesn't have a friend in the world, Anderson says, while he has Benoit and Woman behind him. Flair says he doesn't need any backup to beat Arn Anderson, and if Anderson's such a tough guy, he'll leave his lackeys in the locker room come Sunday. Arn agrees. Flair says that Anderson doesn't stand a chance solo, and if Arn wants to lead a New Horsemen, if he wants to be the Man...well, he's got to beat the Man. Arn smirks knowingly, and signs the contract; Flair follows suit. With the dotted lines signed, Curt Hennig announces Ric Flair vs. Arn Anderson at the Great American Bash!

- Without warning or entrance music, WCW Owner Ted Turner is out to the ring with a microphone and demands an audience with Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, who he is certain are somewhere in the crowd. Hall and Nash oblige, vaulting the guardrail and entering the ring. Turner demands to know why the Outsiders have been assaulting WCW personnel, eating their catering, and now disrupting actual matches from being conducted, as in earlier tonight and on Saturday Night. Nash cherry-picks only the last point to dispute--he denies responsibility for the "wing-flapping" attacks, saying that if they were going to attack WCW employees, "you'd know it was us." Turner continues berating the Outsiders, demanding they reveal their intentions and stop causing general havoc on WCW's programming. Hall simply shakes his head, noting that "we don't work for you." Turner plows forward, now jamming a finger in the Outsiders' chests and ordering them to stay away from WCW. Hall and Nash share a look; having tired of entertaining Turner's demands, they turn on him, downing him with a Jackknife Powerbomb! Not content with this, an Outsider's Edge on WCW's owner follows!

Nash stands over Turner's fallen form, repeating that ""we don't work for you."" Hall, meanwhile, holds up six fingers to the nearest camera and says "six days..."

Security comes running out from the back, but Hall and Nash, their work done, are already booking it through the crowd toward the exit.

- Sting and Barry Windham defeat Lex Luger and Dusty Rhodes, with Texas bullrope in tow, in a tag team contest. Sting and Luger are largely kept apart in what is mostly a clean contest from the four faces, but finally have words and end up in a heated tie-up along the ring ropes that requires the intervention of the referee and Barry Windham. This allows King Steven Regal to sneak in and knock Rhodes out with the bullrope's cowbell; Sting, none the wiser to Regal's chicanery, hits a top-rope splash for the pin.

- Backstage, The Giant is walking towards the curtain for his main event title defense. Kevin Sullivan, his hands held in the air as a gesture of non-aggression and with the Faces of Fear flanking him, approaches Giant and acknowledges his success in defeating Dungeon of Doom members so far. He offers Giant one final opportunity to surrender the title; he'll even allow the Giant to rejoin the Dungeon if he does. Giant flatly refuses, promising to crush the Dungeon. Sullivan nods, resigned to Giant's course; he begins gesturing in the direction of Barbarian, noting, "If you make it that far, your opponent at the Great American Bash will be..."

Suddenly, The Great Muta appears out of nowhere and spits red mist into Giant's face! Giant frantically claws at his eyes, trying to flail at any Dungeon member near enough; Sullivan announces that Giant's opponent at GAB will be "...The Great Muta!" Sullivan, Meng, Barbarian, and Muta club the blinded Giant to the ground with fist and forearm shots. As the four Dungeon members continue to stomp Giant, security finally intervenes, causing the attackers to flee. Nitro cuts to commercial break.

- Back from commercial, Commissioner Curt Hennig and Deputy Commissioner Rick Rude are on the scene with medical personnel attending to Giant. Hennig and Rude are discussing how or if Giant's title defense could be postponed due to the Dungeon's assault, but Giant, still blinded and clearly not 100%, rises, pushes past the medical staff, Hennig, and Rude above their objections and heads out to the ring for his scheduled match.

- MAIN EVENT: The Giant defeats Meng with a chokeslam to successfully defend the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. Meng controls more than his fair share of the match due to the Giant's vision problems, but Giant is resilient enough to fight back and secure the victory.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
THE OBSERVER
- WCW pulled in a 3.05 rating, their highest in over a month, with Monday's show. Things are looking good for this Sunday's Great American Bash, one of WCW's standout pay-per-views. I'd run down the card for you, but I'll leave that for someone else to do!

- WWF fell flat this week, with a 2.13 rating - their lowest since the start of May. While the show appeared reasonably well booked, there were several dreadful dark matches that really hurt the crowd overall. Some of the show-runners may want to re-think how they're doing things.

- Critically, WCW's hot crowd trumped WWF's dead crowd: B- to C-. This means that WCW has won the bounty offered by JoeRules for this week. WCW - you now have a budget of $10,000 to be used for worker bonuses.

Not familiar with TEW2013? posted:

In TEW, a lot of the things you do will piss off the workers. Jobbing them, not pushing them enough, botching a turn, leaving them off a show, etc. The easy way to ease their troubles is by paying them. Thus far, I have not allowed the companies to bonus workers, meaning their backstage environments are starting to suffer a bit. So WCW, if used wisely, has earned the ability to soothe some backstage concerns. Considering their backstage is in a far worse condition than WWF's, this could be HUGE.

- I don't know what he did, but Savio Vega pissed someone in the WWF writer's room off. Don't expect his burial to slow down any time soon. Ouch.

- In regards to PPA signings, the first day saw both companies converge on Rocky Maivia and 1 other worker. From there, each company set their priorities differently. Rest assured, we'll be seeing at least a few workers change sides of the Monday Night Wars. BUT WILL THE PUBLIC KNOW ABOUT IT???

JoeRules posted:

Before you dash off to start making contract offers, I need your vote on this. Because our IRC channel and Google Docs are off-limits to the public, thread watchers miss out on some of the good stuff here. As much as I want to hide the results of this little experiment and make it a shock when these workers debut on new programs, I also think it may be too much to withhold. So, you will vote: Should the Observer announce the results of this hiring spree, or should the public be kept in the dark until Wrestler X debuts on Nitraw on any given Monday? On IRC, type "/msg JoeRules Public/Private" and tell me what you think. First one to 5 votes, regardless of company, decides.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Just by the difference in reading the two write-ups I'm not shocked at all that WCW destroyed WWF in the ratings this week. That was a really solid go home show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think I'm engaged in pretty much every WCW story. I'm really enjoying deranged heel Hogan, like the build to Giant/Muta, am curious to see where the Regal Nobility and the mysterious birds attacks go, and am deeply conflicted about the Sting/Luger and Arn/Flair ones are going. The only very minor complaints I have about WCW are that the CW division could use more build and I was kind of disappointed Psicosis unmasking JL had no real follow up.

For WWF I'm interested in the HBK and Jericho alliance, open to the Two Man Power Trip, and there's a lot of great talent there but the shows keep feeling like new things and wrestlers thrown at you with no build or explanation. Its tough to get invested in even a solidly built story like the Boddydonnas split when all of a sudden brothers Skip and Zip become cousins Tom Prichard and Chris Candido.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think I'm engaged in pretty much every WCW story. I'm really enjoying deranged heel Hogan, like the build to Giant/Muta, am curious to see where the Regal Nobility and the mysterious birds attacks go, and am deeply conflicted about the Sting/Luger and Arn/Flair ones are going. The only very minor complaints I have about WCW are that the CW division could use more build and I was kind of disappointed Psicosis unmasking JL had no real follow up.

For WWF I'm interested in the HBK and Jericho alliance, open to the Two Man Power Trip, and there's a lot of great talent there but the shows keep feeling like new things and wrestlers thrown at you with no build or explanation. Its tough to get invested in even a solidly built story like the Boddydonnas split when all of a sudden brothers Skip and Zip become cousins Tom Prichard and Chris Candido.

That's a really great point, if you asked me to tell you the WCW storylines without looking I could name five or six in pretty good detail. If I had to do the same with WWF I can only think of two and I couldn't really give much detail on either.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Gonna give WCW credit where it's due, I really enjoy what they've come up with. I feel though that we on the WWF side have figured out this stuff a little better now, so we should have better stuff soon.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

STAC Goat posted:

I was kind of disappointed Psicosis unmasking JL had no real follow up.

The crowd hate hate hated the storyline. But big things may be afoot...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Golden Bee posted:

The crowd hate hate hated the storyline. But big things may be afoot...

That's sad, but understandable. Even a perfect build to a JL vs Psicosis Mask vs Mask match would definitely have been appealing to a very small audience of smarky American fans in 1996.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Gonna give WCW credit where it's due, I really enjoy what they've come up with. I feel though that we on the WWF side have figured out this stuff a little better now, so we should have better stuff soon.

Also very understandable. I don't want to make you guys feel bad because I get what you did wrong. You wanted to rebuild the roster and you did it all at once. I've been playing TEW for years, I've made that mistake more than once. But as long as you can get a feel for it and recover its ok and you have a ton of potential there to build fun stuff.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

STAC Goat posted:

DaBombaLDP posted:

Ray Mysterio beating Psychosis at Slamboree wuz da bomb
dude was like representing the mexican fam after Pyscho ripped that dude's mask off!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I know technically the Rey match came out of it but I was kind of hoping for a short JL story. I don't want to fantasy book and step on your toes but basically I just thought there was story room to give JL more agency and build everyone up. But I get that it would have been hard to win over fans with that so it would have had to been strategically placed in the product to build them up without hurting your ratings. I don't blame you guys for not going that route. Like I said, it was a very minor complaint. A nitpick, really.

IWC!

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

WHAT WCW WORKER'S CONTRACT EXPIRES SUNDAY NIGHT? CALL THE HOTLINE* TO FIND OUT

*please don't call the hotline

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I know technically the Rey match came out of it but I was kind of hoping for a short JL story. I don't want to fantasy book and step on your toes but basically I just thought there was story room to give JL more agency and build everyone up. But I get that it would have been hard to win over fans with that so it would have had to been strategically placed in the product to build them up without hurting your ratings. I don't blame you guys for not going that route. Like I said, it was a very minor complaint. A nitpick, really.

IWC!

World Championship Wrestling registers your complaint, trusted viewer. We encourage you to watch the Cruiserweight tournament, live on Monday Night Nitro and Saturday Night each week. Featuring "Lucha Libre" style wrestling of many of the world's top luchadores, such as Rey Mysterio Jr, the tournament will conclude live on Pay-Per-View this summer.

Thank You,
E. Bedmon
Office of Public Relations
World Championship Wrestling

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009
*a loudspeaker crackles to life in the Turner executive offices*

"Attention! All available WCW personnel please immediately report to the board room for an urgent talent-selection discussion!"

(WCW booking crew, if you're around, get in IRC right now.)

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
POST-CONTRACT BIDS OBSERVER

Flex Kavana posted:

To the World Wrestling Federation, World Championship Wrestling, United States Wrestling Association, and wrestling fans all over the world:

I am aware that my future holds quite a bit of potential, but I'm not going to sell out to the first paycheck that comes my way. I refuse to be signed to a roster of a million new faces and get lost in the crowd. I'm happy becoming a star my way.

For this year, anyways.

- Best Wishes,

Flex The Rocky Kavana Johnson Maivia III

- Rumor has it that WWF sent an offer sheet up to Vince who laughed it off as a joke. We know there's some quality talent in the pool of wrestlers available, but we're told this offer would have made one of them the 3rd highest paid worker in the company.

- When rumors spread that WWF was interested in "Hard Work" Bobby Walker, several WCW writers giggled like little girls. Walker has not received a WWF contract offer.....yet.

- Not enough votes came in on either side of the Public/Private discussion for new contract signings. Here's how we'll move forward: the contract signings will be kept private - however, once all the new signings have debuted, a public poll will decide who did a better job bringing in their newly acquired talent. The winner of this poll will recieve a prize - and the loser will be punished. Don't drop the ball on the new guy(s).

edit: Schedule-wise, we'll run Saturday Night as soon as I get a greenlight, and Superstars shortly after that. Then, I suppose, it's only fitting that we run Great American Bash on Sunday night.

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 27, 2013

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Q7kid posted:

*a loudspeaker crackles to life in the Turner executive offices*

"Attention! All available WCW personnel please immediately report to the board room for an urgent talent-selection discussion!"

(WCW booking crew, if you're around, get in IRC right now.)

Can forum at work, cannot IRC. Yeah, I know.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This Sunday, World Championship Wrestling proudly presents the Great American Bash '96!

MAIN EVENT GRUDGE MATCH
Hulk Hogan vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage

HORSEMAN VS. HORSEMAN
"Nature Boy" Ric Flair vs. Arn Anderson

WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP VS. THE DUNGEON OF DOOM'S FUTURE
The Giant (c) vs. the Great Muta

CLEVELAND STREET FIGHT FOR THE WCW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS
The Road Warriors (c) vs. Harlem Heat

FOR THE WCW TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
Lex Luger (c) vs. Sting

TEXAS BULLROPE MATCH
Dusty Rhodes vs. King Steven Regal

FOR THE WCW UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP
Konnan (c) vs. Ron Simmons

AND MUCH MORE! CONTACT YOUR LOCAL CABLE PROVIDER TODAY!

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 28, 2013

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Get on my level, WWF. :colbert:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

STAC Goat posted:

IWC!

What an odd coincidence! It just so happens that a member of the WCW Writing Staff recently gave an exclusive interview discussing this very topic to the hottest new fan-owned blog for Wrestling News and Opinions, Detroit Nash City on Livejournal.com, operated by currently unemployed gate crashing WCW Superfan Kevin Nash!

Detroit Nash City FEATURE for May 27, 1996. posted:

KN: So, for reasons that are beyond my ability to understand, there's been a lot of buzz in the locker room at WCW and in the chat rooms of the internet about Rey Mysterio and Psicosis' big match last night at Slamboree. And since my tone won't translate to the text, I want my readers to know that I was as sarcastic as possible when I said "big," just then. So tell me, what's so special about these two?

WCW: Well, as WCW has grown into the preeminent wrestling organization in the world today, we've been looking into other countries with wrestling tradition to find new competitors, and Mexico has provided a whole wealth of new talents and styles that we believe will completely change the future of pro wrestling. I think that Psicosis and Rey Mysterio showed us a perfect example of that future, and that's why everyone is talking about them.

KN: Yeah, sure. First of all, we all know Mysterio is from San Diego, so lets drop the whole "Glorious Mexican Heritage," thing. If I wanted that I wouldn't have stomped Konnan's face into the mat last night. Secondly, what makes you think these pip squeeks are going to change anything about wrestling? Sure, they can do flips and jumps and it's all real pretty. If you were trying to attract the same audience who's going to tune in to Women's Gymnastics during the Olympics this summer you'd be set. But this is Pro Wrestling man!

WCW: You're underestimating these guys. Just like a certain company up north I could name. Those other folks, in their titanic ivory tower, didn't want to give the Luchadore Style a chance either, because they figured they were too small and their little flips wouldn't make them contenders. But even you, who publically walked out of the Pay Per View because you were dissatisfied with the performance, were still in your seat when those two were lighting up the ring.

KN: In my seat was right. And so was the rest of the crowd. Nobody knew who these guys were. I'll admit it was an entertaining fight, much more than I expected. And you have a point about that other promotion having a history of turning their noses up at good things. I have all the experience in the world with that. But even if you're right about these Luchadore types, or the boys from Japan you've signed who use their own kung-fu-flippydo moves, what are you going to do about the fact that the crowd has no idea who these people are and why they should care about their jumps and kicks and other antics?

WCW: You can say the same about almost any star. You didn't start off as a world champion yourself. Need I bring up Orange Mohawks?

KN: I wish you wouldn't.

WCW: Anyway, we think the quality of the matches will speak for themselves. But it's not like these guys are coming from a vacuum. Rey Mysterio and Psicosis have a long rivalry from their time wrestling in the minor leagues of Mexico, which is why we were more than happy to book their match at Slamboree. For those fans who have followed their early careers, it was the culmination of a long grudge on the biggest stage either man or any of their fans has ever seen. We wanted to make sure that those who were completely unfamiliar with the Lucha style could enjoy two of its brightest young stars and, hopefully, see some of the history these men shared come out in their battle even without having much personal knowledge about them.

Our one regret is that we didn't have the chance for WCW's own Mr. JL to exact some revenge of his own for the theft of his mask. But JL was happy for Rey Mysterio to take that revenge for him. As some of our guest commentators explained, those masks that Luchadors wear are sacred to them, and when Psicosis stole one without issuing a proper challenge it was spitting in the face of every other Luchador. JL recognized that his own attachment to that mask just wasn't as strong as Rey Mysterio's desire to stand up for his traditions, and nobly stepped aside.

And confidentially, us folks in the back office were happier that way. We knew that Rey and Psicosis's history and the tension of that mask theft would allow them to bring out the best in each other. JL might have beaten Psicosis and stood up for himself in the face of a bully Psicosis might have won and showed how dominate and dangerous he was. But Rey AND Psicosis together put the entire history of Lucha Libre on display for everyone to see. And that was more important than a relatively minor grudge.

And anyway, nobody said that grudge was settled yet. You'll just have to watch Nitro to see what happens next.

KN: Oh, believe me, I'll be at Nitro. And let me tell you, you've really got me thinking. I'll have to make sure I pay our favorite little hero Mysterio a friendly visit tonight. Let him know just what I think about him and all his flippydo friends after this inspirational little speech of yours.

WCW: Umm... great?

KN: Very Great.

In a sad twist of fate, we gave the interview on the condition that Nash and his friend Scott Hall stop stealing our catering, only for him to attack Rey Mysterio at the catering table and go out and buy a sandwich elsewhere that very same night. Not really holding to the spirit of the agreement, but that's how it goes I guess.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

stuntman21@juno.com posted:

Hey everyone, it's time for a show report from your favorite show reporter, Stuntman21!

So I went to WCW's Saturday Night this week and man this show wasn't that great but it was passable. First off they started off with two dark matches. The first match sucked. Some new ninja dude, didn't even know his name but he reminded me of Sub Zero from Mortal Kombat? I dunno, he squashed some other jackass, Markstar I think they said his name was. I don't know who they are and it was eight minutes of boring crap. The second match was some dude, Christian I think? He was with the Nasties against State Patrol and Chris Kanyon. Brian Knobbs did great, to my surprise. Match still sucked. Christian guy got the pin, so I guess he's pretty cool? I dunno.

Then they turned the cameras on. First match was a match for the WCW cruiserweight tournament and jesus christ did this match suck. Chavo Guerrero defeated El Dandy. The match just blew, man.

After that Dusty Rhodes was giving interviews, and first he interviewed Page. Rhodes congratulates Page on the performance, and Page acknowledges that he's been turning things around--it wasn't all that long ago when he was broke, destitute, and out of WCW. However, he found a benefactor that set him back on his feet, and he intends to make sure that everyone, including Randy Savage tonight, will feel the BANG!!! Man I love this dude. Rhodes then turns his attention to Arn Anderson, standing nearby, who makes a point of saying he and Chris Benoit will dominate their tag team contest tonight, much as Anderson will crush Flair at the Great American Bash and build the New Horsemen over his broken shell. I don't even know what that means.

When the interviews ended, they started off with a rematch of Page and the Macho Man. Savage dropped Page like a bad habbit, but it was the same fuckin' match just shorter. It was still okay, but just so.

Then Macho Man loving cut a VICIOUS promo on Hogan all about how he's going to beat his rear end at GAB just like he did Page! He even did Hogan's trademarked "brother" line just to rub it in more! It was great! I was thinking "man I bet Hulk is gonna be pissed and I can't wait to see his reaction."

To my surprise then they show Hulk backstage who doesn't even care. He's just looking at this belt he got and just talking to himself like a weirdo. It was hillarious after Macho Man being so down on him, and he just doesn't even care!

So then the Giant is shown cutting a promo about Muta and his match with Barbarian. He's just talking himself up. I was getting a bit bored of talking and wanted a match by this point.

Anyway we finally got a match, Anderson and Benoit against the American Males. Okay match, to be sure. Anderson and Benoit took out the Males at the end, with Anderson pinning Riggs.

Afterwards, VK Wallstreet hits Riggs with a briefcase again. This time Marcus steals the briefcase, cracks VK with it, and runs off. Like, really? You just stole from the guy whose gimmick is being a loving shyster. What a dumb thing to do. gently caress you, Bagwell. You'll never be anything to me.

And they show a commerical. Oh, ninja douche's name is Glacier. Yawn. Don't care.

Back to wrestling and not Super Nintendo, we get a match with Ron Simmons against Animal. Booker T distracts the official, Stevie Ray slapjacks Animal, and Simmons hits a huge spinebuster for the pin. Animal looks surprisingly strong during the bout, but Simmons hangs on long enough to capitalize on the interference. Teddy Long is again on commentary putting over Simmons and his hunt for the US Title.

After the match officially ends Konnan and Hawk run out to the ring, Hawk to protect Animal and Konnan to... beat up Simmons for no reason? I dunno. Not a bad match, I guess the post match stuff wasn't bad either but... meh.

Now King Regal and the rest of the Nobles make their way to the ring. Regal enters the ring with a sour look on his face and begins first to insult us and then he turns his attention on Lex Luger for some reason? So he points out that Lex has been paranoid lately, even thinking his own tag team partner is going to stab him in the back (they're having a match for Lex's title, what else is new dipshit?). I thought he was feuding with Rhodes? Anyway as the rest of the Nobles leave the ring and King Regal takes off his robes for his match, he does remind Lex and Rhodes to watch their backs at the Bash. I mean it was an amazing speech and you could really tell he had a lot to say about hating americans but... why Lex? I didn't get it.

This leads to a six man tag match with Regal, Baron Wright, and Earl Eaton against Rhodes, Disco Inferno, and Booty Man. Match is boring as poo poo, has terrible end. So David Taylor hits Booty with the King's scepter when the ref wasn't looking and they get the pin on him. Ref hosed us again.

With team USA down, Regal goes to smash Disco with the scepter himself but then Rhodes hits him with a cowbell and then hog ties him. That alone was better than the match, so I guess we can forgive WCW once.

More commericals, this time for the Sting/Lex feud. Great video here, explaining why long time friends are having a match at GAB.

WOOO IT'S RIC FLAIR, apparently he's going to take out Malenko tonight. I was thinking like no loving way, like no loving way Flair is winning against Malenko. Anderson? Maybe. But I tell you what, he was confident! Then he started bragging about getting laid or something, which hell yeah I love pussy.

Malenko comes out and finally fights Flair. Flair actually wins it too! No poo poo! This match was awesome. It was ten minutes of just pure joy. I mean Malenko and Flair both showed their age a bit, but it wasn't like that lovely Guerrero Dandy match from earlier in the night.

Arn Anderson and Chris Benoit storm the ring post-match in an effort to beat down Flair, but the Nature Boy fires back, throwing an amazing flurry of rapid-fire chops that causes the New Horsemen to think better of the attack and bail out. Then he starts getting the crowd to "woo" with him. Nature Boy, never give up man. You may be old and have a funny voice and overtanned leathery skin, but you're always an entertaining wrestler for an old gently caress.

Main event time, Giant vs Barbarian. I don't get it, these guys were just... hitting each other a lot? Just nothing was happening. Long boring match where two big guys just beat the poo poo out of each other for like 11 or 12 minutes or something. I dunno. Not great, not poo poo either, but I just wish when Giant hits Barbarian with that huge fist he'd actually knock him the gently caress out rather than Barbarian just staring at him. Hell, the chokeslam seemed to be the only thing that even stopped him!

All in all I'd give the show a solid 6/10. It wasn't good, wasn't bad, had some great stuff but to be honest... I kinda wish I was elsewhere.

Anyone out there know if ECW shows don't suck?

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Alright Team WWF I'm formally requesting a team meeting to iron out the details of current and future storylines.

Lets try and meet up around 1 PM Central.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

GenericMartini posted:

Alright Team WWF I'm formally requesting a team meeting to iron out the details of current and future storylines.

Lets try and meet up around 1 PM Central.

OK, I'll try and be there.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
:siren: WCW folks, get in IRC ASAP :siren:

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

quote:

<USENET REPORT FROM USER: heymanhustle@aol.com>

WOOOO! It’s been a while, but I’m a WWF boy again! To all ya’ll you couldn’t catch tonight’s show, here’s the scoop:

Before the show, there were ONE dark match. ONE! Looks like Russo and friends heard our complaints!

First up was Smoking Gunns vs. Wild Sparks… as a singles match! Billy Gunn w/Bart Gunn vs. Marc Mero w/Marlena and Bob Holly! It was fairly even, got decent time, but Billy took the win as he should by overcoming the odds. The crowd were sorta into it, but they all noticed that Billy and Marc have some nice chemistry!

The main show kicked off with the title feud being displayed as a video, including all the actions of Good Guy Shawn Michaels! The crowd went absolutely crazy for it!

First match was new Gary Albright vs. Savio Vega. Even with Gary’s legendaryness, the crowd didn’t like it and made them sad.

And now Backlund comes out! Strolling to the ring, he rambles on. "I, FOR ONE, AM SICK! AND! TIRED! OF THE BOORISH MISCREANTS THAT MAKE UP TODAY'S YOUTH! YOU PARENTS ARE CONTENT TO LET YOUR CHILDREN SIT UNEDUCATED WHILE THEY'RE GLUED TO THEIR FANCY-SCHMANCY TELL-O-VISIONS, AND YOU LET THEIR YOUNG BRAINS ROT AWAY! THEY SIT THERE WATCHING THE DEGENERATE MONKEYS OF THE SO CALLED EXTREME CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING, AND THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT REA WRESTLING IS! BUT CHARLIE HAAS HERE IS DIFFERENT! HE, MUCH LIKE MYSELF AT HIS AGE, IS A PURE BORN NATURAL TECHNICAL WRESTLER, AND HE AND MYSELF ARE HERE TO PROVE THAT REAL WRESTLING SHALL REIGN SUPREME! I AM MR. BOB BACKLUND, FORMER WWF CHAMPION AND THIS IS FORMER NCAA CHAMPION CHARLIE HAAS AND WE ARE THE EPITOME OF WRESTLING'S PAST, ITS PRESENT, AND WE SURE AS HECK ARE GONNA BE THE FUTURE! AND IF YOU IDIOTS AREN'T HAPPY, THEN YOU CAN COME DOWN HERE, AND WE CAN SHOW YOU JUST HOW GREAT OUR STYLE IS BY PUTTING YOU IN THE CROSS! FACE! CHICKEN! WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!" Crowd liked it better than the last match, that’s for sure.

Now on to King Of The Ring action! Part 2, Owen Hart vs. Bob Holly! Holly never had a chance as Owen throws him around like a ragdoll with torn rags! To finish him off, Owen delivers a piledriver!

Jim Cornette appears backstage! He puts over Owen Hart quite well. "WHOEVER WINS LATER TONIGHT, WHETHER IT'S THAT SPOILED BRAT MAIVIA OR THAT POMPOUS rear end HELMSLEY, THEY CAN'T SHINE THE BOOTS OF THE HART SCION! THEY WON'T STAND A CHANCE IN THE SEMIFINALS AGAINST OWEN HART, THE BEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER IN THIS FEDERATION OR ANY OTHER!" Crowd quite liked it.

After that, we get treated to another video of the Chris Candido/Tom Pritchard feud. It seems like this is going to be going on for quite a while, but no one cares.

Next, the Dudleyz come out and challenge the Gunns to a fight! "Unless you're not man enough!" Gunns also ride out, and accept! Dudleyz vs. Gunns, King of The Ring for the belts!

Gunns leave, and out comes the newest tag team. Comprised of Dick Togo and Kaz Hayashi, they are the HAY DICK! Dudleyz beat HAY DICK in some time, with Buh-Buh Ray pinning Dick Togo. As both these teams are new, crowd didn’t like it.

After that match, Jake “The Snake” Roberts crawls out and speaks along with Edge! Edge vows to show that he can recover from losing, and that he'll be a winner. Jake says, "Now I hear some people have been wondering why I've been in the corner of this young man here, and that's because he's told me he wants to change. Starting now, Edge is gonna start on the path of a winner, and he won't need any dirty tricks like I did. This kid's gonna win fairly." So… Jake is Edge’s manager? And Edge is a good guy?

In the ring, Marty Jannetty and the Brooklyn Brawler are sparring, and- it ended. Jannetty won as usual.

Mankind is rocking back and forth, backstage, ranting. "Ultimate Warrior, you may believe you have the power to go where no other man can go, but you don't know what Mankind is capable of! At King Of The Ring, I want to show you just where I can take you, show you parts unknown even to you, Warrior! YOU TAKE THAT PLANE INTO A NOSEDIVE! YOU TAKE THE CONTROLS AND DIVE IT INTO THE DARK, MYSTERIOUS RECESSES OF THE HUMAN PSYCHE, WARRIOR! BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE I LIVE! THAT'S WHERE I THRIVE! THAT'S WHERE MONSTERS LIKE ME ARE MADE!" Pretty creepy, overall, but crowd just ate it up.

And now, Jake Roberts vs. Mankind! Mankind won with the Mandible Claw! Everyone loved it; for them, it was the match of the night.

Another promo, this time with Jerry “The King” Lawler! And special guests Jim Cornette and Mr. Fuji! Those two argue about their clients, Vader and Yokozuna, while they stand menacingly. As the bosses get angrier, so do the behemoths! After a shoving contest broken up by King, it cuts to backstage. Cornette was good as always, but Fuji wasn’t.

Triple Triple H came out to speak! "About my upcoming King of the Ring quarterfinals match. Or at least, that's what I'd like to say. It seems my opponent, one Rocky Maivia, has gotten cold feet and ran off. I can't say I blame him, we all know how the match would have gone. Perhaps he realized that and decided it wasn't worth the effort of showing up. Regardless, I suppose I shall now make the announcement personally. I, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, shall advance to the quarterfinals by forfe..."

Suddenly, Edge with Jake storms down to the ring to confront HHH! "Hunter, something tells me that these fans aren't gonna be happy if there's no main event. I want another chance at this thing. How about you fight me, and the winner is the one who shall advance in the tournament! Unless, of course, you're afraid you'll lose?" Hunter retorts "I'm not afraid of anyone, least of all a piece of trash who couldn't even make it past round one. Fine, you have your match, though the people in the crowd should get their cameras ready now, because this one's gonna be over quick!"

And now for the main event! KING OF THE RING Round 2: HHH w/ Stone Cold Steve Austin v. Edge w/Jake Roberts. All contestants gave everything they got. Stone Cold tried to interfere, but Edge accidentally cased Austin to hit HHH! Confused, Edge beat HHH with the Snakebite! Edge is moving on to end the show! HHH was very pissed about the result, and it showed. While it was a good match, the crowd were sick of Edge.

I loved the show, but I have to give it a C rating. Better luck next time!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

What is an Edge and why is it main eventing Raw? No wonder you guys keep losing the ratings war. :smug:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
e: ignore this.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 29, 2013

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

quote:

Welcome to Prograps Unlimited, the dirtiest dirtsheet in town!

That's right! Some idiot in the WCW front offices forgot to give me a no-compete clause, so I'm here and ready to sling any mud that comes my way! Here are the rumors that you'll want to carry to the water cooler this week:

McMahon Miffs Mexican? Vince may be laughing at an offer sheet sent to his office, but it's been reported that a certain Latin star thinks it's no joke. He'll be staying with WCW for now.

Vince Russo Is Still Terrible? Or at least I hope he's to blame for "Hay Dick", WWF's newest tag team. We don't know who will make up the team yet, but I feel bad for whoever thought up THAT awful name.

Taskmaster Blasts Gas? Boston may be known for its baked beans, but Kevin Sullivan ought to lay off them for a while. Turner top execs were touring the locker room at a recent show when Sullivan had to flatulate from his own Gate of Fate, souring not only the air but also the execs' visit. WCW management are now debating repercussions for his unfortunate flatus, which could be as severe as a suspension.

How Wonderful IS Mr. Wonderful? We have to ask because after discussion of retooling Paul Orndorff as a manager, it now looks like he'll be staying out of the spotlight as an agent instead. I'll keep you posted as new information comes in.

Don't forget to check in regularly so you don't miss the latest in the world of pro wrestling!

S.K.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Great American Bash just ran - I trust someone from WCW will post the write-up shortly. In the meantime, both companies have been tasked with a specific gimmick from management. Check your IRC channels - the topic specifically - to see what has been asked of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

quote:

<USENET REPORT FROM USER: AwesomeBBallMicheal@hotmail.com>

Good evening, my fellow Clevelanders! I just got back from WCW's Great American Bash Pay Per View, live from the Gund Arena! And I've got to say, the show was AWESOME! Let me give you the lowdown...

First up were two Dark Matches, both Tag Team affairs. A lucha guy named El Hijo de Santo teamed up with a stringy looking blonde guy named Christian Cage. I haven't seen either of these guys on Nitro, so I had no clue who they were, but they had an ok match against the Men at Work. Santo won, and I have to say he looked good doing it. Second dark match was those old AWA guys the Rock and Roll Express taking on the old Blue Bloods, I guess they're still a thing despite being part of the Nobility now. The Express got the win, but they botched quite a few moves.

Finally the real show got started with a bonus match! It was the Lone Wolf Barry Windham taking on Diamond Dallas Page in singles action, with Windham winning with a monster Superplex. This match was really impressive, and both sides worked the crowd well and got them fired up. It was a heck of an opening.

Second bout was a handicap match between the American Males and VK Wallstreet. The Males still had the briefcase they'd swiped from the guy, and came out in fancy new outfits and started tossing cash into the crowd. As you can imagine, Wallstreet was not pleased and went to town on them, but two on one was just too much for the guy. Bagwell had a new finisher, a sweet diving neckbreaker the announcers called the Bagwell Blockbuster, and it put Wallstreet on the curb. Still, other than the finish it was a pretty poor match. After it was over, Wallstreet recovered long enough to steal back his case and laid out both Males with the money. The crowd didn't seem to care much.

Next match was another bonus, a Six-Man Tag bout between a bunch of cruiserweights. On one side was Rey Mysterio Jr, and Eddie and Chavo Guerrero as a team named Los Guerreros. On the other was Psicosis, La Parka, and Jushin Thunder Liger. It was an all out match and both teams were flying all over the ring, but in the end it was Mysterio picking up the win clean with that trademark high-flying finisher Droppin' The Dime. Liger always seemed like a badass, so it was a big win for Rey, and to top it off his tag team was so pissed at him that they beat Liger down after the match. The crowd was decently into the match, but they couldn't care less about the follow up.

Yet another bonus tag bout was next up. This time it was the Steiner Brothers taking on the Faces of Fear. I couldn't help but wonder if the Faces were trying to get some momentum in case things went south for the Dungeon during the title match, but if that was their plan it did NOT work. The Steiners put them down pretty decisively, finishing Barbarian off with that two-man elevated Bulldog we love to watch them do. Rick got the pin. It was a very solid little fight. After the match things got interesting because those mysterious wingflaps and flickering lights we've been seeing happened again. Rick Steiner got clobbered by whoever's been attacking in the dark, but surprisingly Scott managed to grab the guy and tangle him up in the ring ropes! Unfortunately we couldn't see his face, and security rushing the ring gave him the opportunity to escape into the stands. The hooded guy seemed a little lost and screwed up his escape by tripping on the way out, but despite that hurting the execution the crowd seemed pretty compelled by the segment.

The next bout was the much anticipated return of American Dream Dusty Rhodes' signature contest, the Texas Bullrope Match, taking on King Steven Regal of the Nobility. I wanted to like this match, both men worked hard to make it brutal and intense, and it was a big climax for the story they've been trying to tell with them. But it was just SO LONG. It dragged on for almost 20 minutes. I can only watch an old man and a skinny Brit beat each other with a cowbell for so long before I start asking Really? Really? REALLY? It certainly hurt the quality of the bout. Still, if nothing else the ending woke me up because Regal actually won! CLEAN! BY SUBMISSION! He used the rope to power up the Regal Stretch, and he actually made Dusty tap. The boos were nuclear.

Next up was the US Title bout, where current champ that nobody really cares about Konnan fights former Heavyweight Champ Ron Simmons with Teddy Long in his corner. If nothing else, the two of them put on a real clinic. The match was a solid affair and they both put in their full effort. But if I said it was anything special I'd be lying. It was pretty paint by numbers, neither all the great nor all that bad. The crowd liked it, they cheered Konnan and boo'd Simmons, but it felt so very average. Still, I'll say one thing: when Teddy distracted Konnan to interrupt Splash Mountain and Simmons capitalized, our great hero of both Mexico and America made a very satisfying crunching noise when he got spinebusted through the mat. We'll see if our new US Champ is a bit more interesting than the last one.

The Tag Titles were on the line as the Road Warriors came out to take on Harlem Heat in a Cleveland Street Fight match! Now this was a match, and I'm not just saying that because Cleveland is the best city in the world and I'm being pandered to (cut me some slack, I need all the pandering I can get after my beloved Browns were LITERALLY STOLEN by Baltimore). Compared to the Bullrope match, this was what a no-DQ brawl should look like. There were weapons and debris and cool moves all over the place, and the crowd was eating it up, oohing and ahhing with every chairshot and table smash. Then came the big finish. With Booker T laid out, Hawk grabbed a kendo stick, Animal set up Stevie, and they did the Doomsday Device by hitting Stevie with the sword instead of the normal clothesline! It looked absolutely skull-crushing.

Next up were a pair of interviews, one with Lex Luger and the other with Sting. They both talked about their TV Title match, Luger basically hoping they could still be friends afterwards no matter what, and Sting sticking with his kind of bitter angryness about how Luger's behavior screwed him over as a Tag Champ and he's going to take the TV belt to bring Lex to his senses. After that they both made their way to the ring and got it on. The match was solid, but given the guys involved I expected a lot more, and the crowd seemed to agree. It was a real slow-burn type of thing that started off easy and ended with trading huge hits, but the audience just never got into it. Luger retained on the time limit clause, which makes me think these two aren't done with this just yet. I'm fine with that because this would be a poor match to end the plot on.

Speaking of which, after the bell rang the entire Nobility poured out of the locker room out of nowhere and went to town on Sting and Luger! That woke the crowd up in a big way! The beating was pretty harsh, with both men eating Towers of London from Eaton. Once they were both helpless, King Regal strolled out from the back like a conquering hero, high off his win over the Dream. He grabbed the TV title and posed over the unconscious Package and Stinger, showing the crowd that "V for Victory," to top it off. This should go interesting places, and the audience was all over it.

Finally it was time for the main events. First up was the WCW Championship match between The Giant and The Great Muta, with the stipulation that if Muta loses the Dungeon of Doom must disband. Ever since Giant became a good guy I've really been impressed with him. If I was ever a pro wrestler I'd want a guy like him to be my Tag Team partner. And WCW has done a great job of establishing this Muta guy as a big deal, an uncontrollable monster than even the rest of the Dungeon fears. But unfortunately, this wasn't either man's best work. Don't get me wrong, they pulled out all the stops. Some of their spots were brilliant. But I think maybe they went a little overboard, because around the end of the match the Ref took a nasty shot and all hell started to break loose. Giant hits the chokeslam and suddenly Sullivan is trying to brain him with the title belt. Muta starts doing Moonsault Presses all over the place, and one actually hits the ref who might have literally died at that point. Giant pulls off a dropkick of all things on Muta and stops another belt attack with a HUGE chokeslam to the Taskmaster. Then he turns back to Muta and picks him up by the neck for the big finish, but Muta tries that red mist trick we saw last Nitro! Except Giant is ready this time and uses his free hand to cover his eyes right before Muta can spit while he finishes the chokeslam one-handed! He covers, and the ref comes back from the grave to count the three. The Giant is going crazy in celebration as Sullivan recovers just enough to lose his mind over his precious Dungeon coming to an end.

If all that sounds kind of complex and busy, it was, and the crowd didn't respond that much to how overboard and weird everything got. Both men really pushed it, but in the end the crowd saw it as nothing special because they tried too hard to make it special. Also Giant looked really worn out by the end. Guess he needs a little more aerobics in his exercise routine.

Next up came the Semi-Main, with the traitorous Arn Anderson coming out to take on none other than THE NATURE BOY, RIC FLAIR, WOOOOOOO! This was even better than I expected, and the chemistry between the two long-time friends as enemies was electric. Flair came on strong from minute one, but Arn was ready to counter every move, as one should expect from the man who was Ric's enforcer for so many years. Flair starts to get desperate, and somewhat prematurely brings out the good old Figure Four (such a cool move, I wish I could learn that one). Anderson fights out of that, and after a few more near-falls finally brings out the Spinebuster and beats Flair clean. I don't think people were expecting a totally dominate finish (although Arn did look pretty tired by the end), but it happened!

But if you thought that was crazy, brace yourselves. Because right after the win Scott Hall and Kevin Nash charged the ring. This was the moment they promised on Nitro, where they would make their agenda clear to the world. And they certainly did: after initially looking fearful, Double A got a big smirk and sicked the two rapid dogs on a defenseless Flair! You heard correct: HALL AND NASH ARE WORKING FOR ARN ANDERSON! They absolutely brutalize Flair, beating him and bleeding him like a stuck pig, hitting their finishers on him and leaving him in a heap. And to cap everything off, Hall and Nash and Anderson all raise the four fingers. THAT'S RIGHT, TO TOP IT ALL OFF HALL AND NASH ARE JOINING THE NEW HORSEMEN! The crowd was absolutely insane about it, it was a madhouse.

And the show wasn't over yet, as the main event still awaited. Hulk Hogan vs Randy Savage, with Hulk NOT putting up his new Hulkamania World Title. They started off with a really nice video package to remind us all of the story thus far, and then things got underway. The match is really even for the most part. Hogan looked strong out there, responded to Macho Man's offense with plenty of his own. You could tell that Hogan came to play. Plus, he wasn't afraid to cheat. Thumbs to the eye, rolling out of the ring, using the ropes behind the ref's back, every dirty trick in the book came out. And he was STILL delusionally playing the crowd, ignoring their boos like he was still back in the 80s. I have to say, this new gimmick is really working for him. Savage finally managed to get the upper hand, but despite landing a flying elbow Hulk kicks out and Hulks Up. He unloads some major hits that culminate in a big boot. Sadly for him, Hogan decided that he wanted to waste precious seconds cupping his ear and posing, and Macho Man rolled away from the leg drop! Savage recovered fast and beats down Hogan again, adding in another elbow drop for good measure, only for Hogan to make like he's about to Hulk Up for a second time... except it fails! He loses his energy or something and flops back onto the mat, and Macho Man knows the time has come. It's one last HUGE flying elbow to give Savage a massive pinfall!

Savage begins to celebrate his victory over the Hulkster, and all but ignored Hogan as the guy desperately grabbed his Hulkamania Title and stumbled up the ramp, screaming about how Savage is nothing and he is still the champion because Hulkamania is Strongest, Brother! The show ended as Hulk raised his belt for all to see and burned his crazy eyed gaze into his old friend Randy Savage, while the Macho Man seemed like he couldn't care less about "the champ."

Now, I won't say that the match or the ending were bad, but they weren't as good as they could have been. The crowd was CRAZY hot for it, they blew the roof off the joint, but it just felt kind of weak to me. A solid B performance when I expected an A+ out of these two legends. Frankly, Anderson vs Flair was superior on all fronts. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Overall, I'd give the show a very strong B. It was excellent, especially compared to the somewhat disappointing Slamboree. GAB is a marquis PPV, and it did not disappoint! Cleveland was really fortunate to host such a great wrestling match, and WCW is fortunate to be part of the great sporting tradition of this city. Maybe some day there will be a Heavyweight Champ from Cleveland. But until then Go Indians, Go Cavaliers, Come Home Browns! And as team captain, I invite each and every one of you to come see the Normandy High Invaders dominate this basketball season! Until then, WCW FOREVER!

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 30, 2013

• Locked thread