Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Thoughts thus far: Goldust/Taker was incredible. I'm almost surprised you guys decided to keep the streak alive for some reason, but good on you. Cactus Jack's patented Elbow Onto Concrete spot was even better than I expected, didn't expect you to go the full Seth Rollins Murder Evolution route. The Tag Titles match was great, poor Skunk finally won one and Jericho and Piper had some neat psychology going on related to the earlier match. I'm depressed that Tazz got the death spot, it really should have gone to the tag contenders or Henry v Pillman as both of those matches were pretty poor by comparison and that spot is exactly what the lame-tier titles or rookies just starting to build heat are meant for. Austin drinking milk was a fun reference although shooting on Neidhart was a little tasteless.

Biggest complaint was the IC ladder match, it really felt pretty flat. I liked Triple H's entrance (although two horse gimmicks in the same show was kind of odd) but otherwise it didn't leave much impression and reusing the "Both guys grab a mike and cut a promo mid-match," spot from the Power Trip v Lions tag title match left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Sanguinia posted:

Thoughts thus far: Goldust/Taker was incredible. I'm almost surprised you guys decided to keep the streak alive for some reason, but good on you. Cactus Jack's patented Elbow Onto Concrete spot was even better than I expected, didn't expect you to go the full Seth Rollins Murder Evolution route. The Tag Titles match was great, poor Skunk finally won one and Jericho and Piper had some neat psychology going on related to the earlier match. I'm depressed that Tazz got the death spot, it really should have gone to the tag contenders or Henry v Pillman as both of those matches were pretty poor by comparison and that spot is exactly what the lame-tier titles or rookies just starting to build heat are meant for. Austin drinking milk was a fun reference although shooting on Neidhart was a little tasteless.

Biggest complaint was the IC ladder match, it really felt pretty flat. I liked Triple H's entrance (although two horse gimmicks in the same show was kind of odd) but otherwise it didn't leave much impression and reusing the "Both guys grab a mike and cut a promo mid-match," spot from the Power Trip v Lions tag title match left a bad taste in my mouth.

About Jericho, didn't note it in the first place, but he did turn heel after the Tag Titles match (rather successful at that). As for why we put Taz/Corino in the death spot, the team didn't expect either guy to be as over as Mark Henry or Brian Pillman, so that's why. They did extremely well, however.

And I take responsibility for the poor IC Title writeup. Couldn't make it flow as much as it should have.

(Mania is on the last page, by the way. Not reposting because it is very long)

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

With the exception of the Tag Team #1 Contenders match, the card was set in stone around just after RR and we never expected Taz to get over so quickly in such a short amount of time.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Followup: drat, that was a hell of a Main Event! Austin's heel work was outstanding, the details about how he refused to play to the crowd and his trash talk were exquisite. Bret's big torch-passing moment was heart warming, I honestly was expecting a heel turn from him. Vader looked like a proper wrecking balls, which was the best way to book him considering he was largely ancillary to the build and story of the match. He served as a force of nature rather than a character, and it worked brilliantly. And thank god, Owen Hart finally looks like the star you've been telling us he is.

I really did love it. It was really, REALLY long, and this is me telling you this, but I still loved it. But I do have two big complaints. First: Having Austin rope-break the K-Driller strained by disbelief a bit. As a vaunted JAPANESE FINISHER and something that Owen premiered in a way that made it look like the absolute death move of his finisher set, I kind of felt like having Austin have the awareness/consciousness to rope break after being hit with it was tough to buy, let alone the fact that he recovered from the move pretty quickly and went on to wrestle for a long time after, even DOMINATE for most of that time.

Second, and I don't say it lightly, I think the ending was just bad. Owen seemingly passing out from the stolen finisher Sharpshooter (it was a neat reference to Austin v Bret of course) causing Austin to release the hold willingly before he'd officially won made him look foolish in a way that I don't think was all that consistent with his character. While I like how he snapped and just started screaming at Owen for daring to wake up, following that up by having him tap out to the Dragon Sleeper made him look like a chump! You don't put a guy through an absolute war, have him come to the end looking absolutely dominate over the champion by eating a finisher then ending up fresh and strong while his opponent is near unconscious, and then go strait to having him submit to a sleeper-type submission. You have him struggle until he passes out! Tapping to a sleeper needs to be done in a certain way or you look like a wimp for doing it, and doing it immediately after you were looking like a monster more-or-less no selling the previous fight with three other men while forcing the Champ into unconsciousness with agony from his own finisher ain't the way to do it.

Well, now that I've gone full OSW review nitpicking on the psychology of ten seconds worth of your main event, I will conclude by saying that overall it was a very good wrestlemania. I think the grade was a fair one given my few issues, but drat if the best parts of it weren't some of the best we've seen out of WWF. Well done.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
he still knows...

Sanguinia posted:

Followup: drat, that was a hell of a Main Event! Austin's heel work was outstanding, the details about how he refused to play to the crowd and his trash talk were exquisite. Bret's big torch-passing moment was heart warming, I honestly was expecting a heel turn from him. Vader looked like a proper wrecking balls, which was the best way to book him considering he was largely ancillary to the build and story of the match. He served as a force of nature rather than a character, and it worked brilliantly. And thank god, Owen Hart finally looks like the star you've been telling us he is.

I really did love it. It was really, REALLY long, and this is me telling you this, but I still loved it. But I do have two big complaints. First: Having Austin rope-break the K-Driller strained by disbelief a bit. As a vaunted JAPANESE FINISHER and something that Owen premiered in a way that made it look like the absolute death move of his finisher set, I kind of felt like having Austin have the awareness/consciousness to rope break after being hit with it was tough to buy, let alone the fact that he recovered from the move pretty quickly and went on to wrestle for a long time after, even DOMINATE for most of that time.

Second, and I don't say it lightly, I think the ending was just bad. Owen seemingly passing out from the stolen finisher Sharpshooter (it was a neat reference to Austin v Bret of course) causing Austin to release the hold willingly before he'd officially won made him look foolish in a way that I don't think was all that consistent with his character. While I like how he snapped and just started screaming at Owen for daring to wake up, following that up by having him tap out to the Dragon Sleeper made him look like a chump! You don't put a guy through an absolute war, have him come to the end looking absolutely dominate over the champion by eating a finisher then ending up fresh and strong while his opponent is near unconscious, and then go strait to having him submit to a sleeper-type submission. You have him struggle until he passes out! Tapping to a sleeper needs to be done in a certain way or you look like a wimp for doing it, and doing it immediately after you were looking like a monster more-or-less no selling the previous fight with three other men while forcing the Champ into unconsciousness with agony from his own finisher ain't the way to do it.

Well, now that I've gone full OSW review nitpicking on the psychology of ten seconds worth of your main event, I will conclude by saying that overall it was a very good wrestlemania. I think the grade was a fair one given my few issues, but drat if the best parts of it weren't some of the best we've seen out of WWF. Well done.

I get what you mean, but A: Owen worked over Austin's head and neck the entire match with the K-Driller and German Suplexes and B: It's not really just a sleeper-type submission, it's Owen's Dragon Sleeper, his super super finisher, The Submission That Made Stone Cold Tap Out, etc. Like real life, Austin tapping out won't be a common occurrence in the slightest.

(And the main event was a few hundred words longer than everything else combined.)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So here's a Wrestlemania story to make up for the wait. Neither Vader nor Bret were supposed to be in that match. It was supposed to be Owen/Austin for the title, while we had other plans for Vader and Bret. HOWEVER, Vader, right before the Rumble, came to us and said that he wanted to be facing Bret in the Main Event, and if he didn't, he would not be resigning with us. (To be fair to Vader, the match we had for him WAS pretty crappy.)

Austin was always supposed to win the Rumble, but Bret was not going to be the runner-up.

In the end, we had to write a way for Vader and Bret to be written into the match, which left Owen to fall by the wayside. It did lead to the Owen Snaps promo and him getting all three eliminations, however. In the end, I do think that the match we wound up with was a better match than we had planned.

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

I thought it was interesting that at the real Wrestlemania 13, Steve Austin became famous for not tapping out to Bret Hart, while this time he ends up tapping out to Owen. Very good Wrestlemania, and it looks even better when you compare the card to the real one.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Yeah around the time it got down to Owen vs Austin, my mind was going numb from over-writing the main event. Hell, Owen vs Austin was going to go on longer until I took a hatchet to it in order to try to get it done as soon as possible. I ran into the problem of "how the hell do I have Owen win now that Austin has effectively killed him" and I didn't want to end it on a roll-up victory finish (although looking back I probably should've).

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Good show. Surprised it only got a B-.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Alright, we've now hit the end of Season 2, so we've got a few points to tend to before moving on.

1) End of Year Awards Nominations: These will be open for another 24-ish hours, so please add any contributions you want to see considered. Everyone (public, current and former writers) is allowed to vote here, and feel free to go back and do a 2nd submission to add anything from WrestleMania or anything that you missed on a prior list.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1tL9yyAky-iXc-a3jwkL6vYXkRBVdgXxunU4NvJb0aFk/viewform?usp=send_form

2) End of Season 2 Poll: It's also time for a public poll. The end of Season 1 Poll ended up giving exclusive negotiation rights to Mark Henry to the WWF - this prize is considerably larger in scope. Normally, I just ask you folks very broad questions of "Which one was better?" and let you determine how to judge that. For this poll, I'm going to ask you to vote based on one of two perspectives.

The Broad View: If you've been reading the thread for some time, you may judge this poll as "Who was better for the entire first year?"

The Narrow View: If you are fairly new, or really only keep up with the big events, then I'd like you to judge the poll as "What was the better End-of-Year Show, Starrcade or Wrestlemania?"

Starrcade: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594605&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=38#post431062444
Wrestlemania: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594605&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post433920902

Remember that I only want :siren: 1 response :siren: for the public poll, not a response for both the Broad View and Narrow View. Remember that current writers are not allowed to vote, and former writers may vote, but their vote may be weighted less than votes by the public. This poll will end on August 31st.

3) New Writers: Both teams could use some fresh blood, and this is really a fantastic place to jump in. WWF has obviously been building to WM for a long time, and while they have ideas in place moving forward, most everything is up in the air for now. WCW's in the midst of their build to Spring Stampede, but again have a lot of flexibility in plans moving forward. Both companies next shows will not run until Saturday, August 30th, so you'd also have time to get signed up and read through some of the plans laid out in the Google Doc.

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 23, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Coin flip says I'm applying for WWF. Email is rarjunkie@gmail.com.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Still hoping to get some more award noms for anything related to WrestleMania. In the meantime, here's something for you - can you guess what are the only angles/segments to get nominated for both a Best Of award and a Worst Of award? There are 5.

Shawn Michaels arthouse segments, Days of Future Past, the Money in the Bank match, Bobby Eaton's Hot Dogs, and the Booty Man vs. Disco Inferno vs. Alex Wright dancing feud.

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Say, do you take your mask off when you go to the bathroom?

CaptainYesterday posted:

Good show. Surprised it only got a B-.

We've both been stuck in B- limbo for the better part of a year, so...

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I may need to be schooled in how this system works but I'd be down to toil in the WCW writer's hole. email: goldisthemetal@gmail.com

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
http://tinyurl.com/WCWvsWWFawards

I didn't want a situation like the Oscars where 1 animated movie is up for Best Picture and it's clear what movie will win the best animated film, so anything that is nominated for the big 3 awards can be considered automatically part of the "Best of WWF/WCW", but is not actually part of the vote for those categories.

Oh, and here are the links to the best Segment nominees.

Ric Flair Can't find a Partner - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594605&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post424116991

Sting will only be in their way - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594605&pagenumber=14#post425519511

WCW Monday Nyquil - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594605&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=24#post426796635

Never Trust a Snake - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594605&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=35#post430488258

IYH 12: Pan-American Power Trip - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594605&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=37#post430679823

Owen Snaps - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594605&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=45#post433071274

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 25, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JoeRules posted:

http://tinyurl.com/WCWvsWWFawards

I didn't want a situation like the Oscars where 1 animated movie is up for Best Picture and it's clear what movie will win the best animated film, so anything that is nominated for the big 3 awards can be considered automatically part of the "Best of WWF/WCW", but is not actually part of the vote for those categories.

Can you do me a favor and just count my vote for "Worst of WWF" three times since I only voted for one option?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

WCW folk, I've put up a nebulous angle idea and could use feedback. Get at me

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Damnit these loving awards are rigged, honestly if I wanted to vote for what I thought was the worst of WWF it'd just be three things involving Marty never getting his rightful push.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Skunkrocker posted:

Damnit these loving awards are rigged, honestly if I wanted to vote for what I thought was the worst of WWF it'd just be three things involving Marty never getting his rightful push.

Never say never.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I Before E posted:

Never say never.

It's too late now.

You've broken my heart.

:smith:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Skunkrocker posted:

It's too late now.

You've broken my heart.

:smith:

Hey, we've got plans for him. He's got a title.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I Before E posted:

Hey, we've got plans for him. He's got a title.

His second title in a year!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Can we talk aboutthe dancing bear? How does URSUS the Dancing bear work functionally within TEW? Did you CAW or re-purpose an existing wrestler? has his (her?) time in sun passed? Any interesting behind the scenes bit about how they were treated? Anyone hate jobbing to the bear?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Nystral posted:

Can we talk aboutthe dancing bear? How does URSUS the Dancing bear work functionally within TEW? Did you CAW or re-purpose an existing wrestler? has his (her?) time in sun passed? Any interesting behind the scenes bit about how they were treated? Anyone hate jobbing to the bear?

The bear is one of our developmental workers given a mask and a Dancing Bear gimmick. He seems to have fallen by the wayside in terms of "actually getting TV time", and he doesn't seem to be all that good a worker or entertainer. He seems to be happy enough.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Been away for most of the week, coming back to Wrestlemania 13 was a treat.

Although I have an important question, who is The Fucktrain? Please tell me it's Batista in a mask :allears:

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Figuring out things as we go, here, guys - I think I may be asking for too much by going from Award Nominations to the Yearly Awards and still expecting a public poll in the midst too. So far, I've gotten a very solid number of votes on the Awards form, but no one has voted in thread on the public poll.

WWF & WCW - I'll let you make an argument against this idea if you feel so inclined, but I'm thinking I should nix the Public Poll question I'd asked, and award that prize to whichever company claims more of the 3 Competitive awards (Best Match, Most Important Angle, Best Segment). I know that there are uneven nominations for the two companies in the Angle and Segment awards, but since the prize would be based on just the winner of each category, I don't think either company would have an advantage. Thoughts?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Although I have an important question, who is The Fucktrain? Please tell me it's Batista in a mask :allears:

You'll see.

JoeRules posted:

WWF & WCW - I'll let you make an argument against this idea if you feel so inclined, but I'm thinking I should nix the Public Poll question I'd asked, and award that prize to whichever company claims more of the 3 Competitive awards (Best Match, Most Important Angle, Best Segment). I know that there are uneven nominations for the two companies in the Angle and Segment awards, but since the prize would be based on just the winner of each category, I don't think either company would have an advantage. Thoughts?

I'm in favor.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
he still knows...

Once he appears, you'll know who he is.

JoeRules posted:

Figuring out things as we go, here, guys - I think I may be asking for too much by going from Award Nominations to the Yearly Awards and still expecting a public poll in the midst too. So far, I've gotten a very solid number of votes on the Awards form, but no one has voted in thread on the public poll.

So, for example, the top-scoring WWF/WCW match would win that category? Or all the WWF or WCW votes in the category combined?

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

So, for example, the top-scoring WWF/WCW match would win that category? Or all the WWF or WCW votes in the category combined?
Let's say that Skunkrocker vs. 1-2-3 Kid wins Best Match, Doobie Eaton's Dog House wins Best Angle, and the Fucktrain vignette won Best Segment, WWF would win the poll 2-1.

I could also go by Total Votes for WCW vs. Total Votes for WWF on each category, but it seems that might benefit the WWF side, since they have more nominations under Best Angle and Segment. By my logic, just using the winner would make it fair, regardless of the number of noms.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I would think the WWF have better sense than give the Fucktrain mask to anyone under Big Heavyweight size. Where's Mabel in this game?

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
he still knows...

Basic Chunnel posted:

I would think the WWF have better sense than give the Fucktrain mask to anyone under Big Heavyweight size. Where's Mabel in this game?

Fired by both companies.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

what a waste :(

WCW: Angle draft revised and updated, let me know what you think.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

I think he's in USWA now.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

Welcome to Prograps Unlimited, Issue 39: special Wrestlemania Recap edition!

Good morning marks! We're here early this beautiful Monday morning with all the latest news after the big Wrestlemania weekend. Take a look:

Ratings Update: RAW up to 3.43, Nitro up to 3.51. WCW's Uncensored picked up a 2.25 buyrate, which was definitely boosted by The Offspring's performance. Wrestlemania earned a 3.40.

American Wails: Raven and Marcus Bagwell were spotted in the WCW locker room before Uncensored singing a duet into a karaoke machine. Nobody is quite sure where the karaoke machine came from, but it apparently boosted the mood backstage going into the show.

All Aboard: We refrained from running a story last week, but we've now confirmed that both WCW and WWF have signed co-promotion deals with GOON Championship Wrestling, a cult promotion based out of Pleasant Hill, Missouri. WCW has been featuring GOON's Yummy Mummy character, while WWF has taken full advantage of their HBO slot by showcasing Fucktrain Jethro. Both companies are expected to send talent to GOON in return. (Needless to say, this editor is disappointed that one of GOON's best talents, El Médico, didn't make the cut.)

The World Revolves Around Him: An recent article in The Weekly Potato (friends of PGU) featured Perry Saturn and his great potential.

Schreckless Endangerment: Not a great title, but we're honestly stumped as to who David Schreck is and why WCW signed him to developmental. All we have to go on is a scout report who reportedly says "[he] sucks".

Year-End Polls: Our sister publication Fake Attacks is currently running their year-end polls now that Wrestlemania season is over, and while we won't spoil the results we're allowed to give some hints:

1. The Best Match poll is currently tied, with one match each for WCW and WWF.
2. The Most Important Angle poll is practically over--barring a lot of last minute voting, the winner has picked up a landslide decision.
3. There's no clear lead at all in the Most Important Segment poll, with 3 votes separating first and last place.

Of course, we encourage you to vote right up until the deadline! Your vote will definitely still make a difference!

----------

Check in every week for the biggest news in the Monday Night War!

S.K.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
:siren:WWF, check the Doc. Big stuff just went down.:siren:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Can I just say for the record that I'm a little bit outraged at whoever nominated the Ragnarok Match for a Worst of WCW slot? It may have gotten a bad match rating (though FAR from the worst one we'd gotten on pay pew view), but that match was awesome and nobody will convince me otherwise. I can accept Days of Future Past earning a berth on both the Best and Worst list, but a pox upon whoever doesn't like Glacier's big goofy gimmick match. That's a WCW tradition dammit!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

Can I just say for the record that I'm a little bit outraged at whoever nominated the Ragnarok Match for a Worst of WCW slot? It may have gotten a bad match rating (though FAR from the worst one we'd gotten on pay pew view), but that match was awesome and nobody will convince me otherwise. I can accept Days of Future Past earning a berth on both the Best and Worst list, but a pox upon whoever doesn't like Glacier's big goofy gimmick match. That's a WCW tradition dammit!

If you think about it, "casket match but its a boat" is really gimmicky and dumb, so that's probably the reason its on here, just like the WeeLC might be a "WMOTYC" in the Observer.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

If you think about it, "casket match but its a boat" is really gimmicky and dumb, so that's probably the reason its on here, just like the WeeLC might be a "WMOTYC" in the Observer.

BUT IT'S A TABLES LADDERS CHAIRS MATCH WITH LITTLE PEOPLE MAGGLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

KungFu Grip posted:

A dumpster match is just a casket match but it's a dumpster. But would New Age Outlaws vs Cactus Jack and Terry Funk have made sense as a Casket Match? Hell no. Why do you get different location-specific weapons whenever you have a "Cityname Street Fight?" Or hell, a Miracle on 34th Street Fight?

There is merit to modifying an existing stipulation to be thematically relevant to the wrestlers involved in it. Just because a stip has been dressed up from it's normal baseline doesn't automatically make it a Kennel Of Hell match.

• Locked thread