Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Contracts, brother.

Okay, but you also could have let him walk and not been any worse off for it, as best I can tell. On the other hand, I guess he has a televised win over J. Brian Warrior and you have to stick it to Uncle Ted, Monday Night Wars, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Q7kid posted:

Okay, but you also could have let him walk and not been any worse off for it, as best I can tell.

Not exactly.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Q7kid posted:

Okay, but you also could have let him walk and not been any worse off for it, as best I can tell. On the other hand, I guess he has a televised win over J. Brian Warrior and you have to stick it to Uncle Ted, Monday Night Wars, etc.

If you break a contract other workers will notice.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Q7kid posted:

Okay, but you also could have let him walk and not been any worse off for it, as best I can tell.

Not even the combined law expertise from HHH and WCW's lawyers could've helped us if we broke a contract. The consequences would've been... dire to say the least. This is about the best we can manage out of this contractual nightmare the WWF guys of the past got us into.

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

CaptainYesterday posted:

World Championship Wrestling proudly presents WCW Starrcade '96!

FOR THE WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
Arn Anderson (c) vs. Ric Flair

FOR THE AWA 'HULKAMANIA' CHAMPIONSHIP
Hulk Hogan (c) vs. Curt Hennig

FOR THE WCW WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
The Outsiders (c) vs. Sting & Lex Luger

BROTHER VS. BROTHER
Rick Steiner vs. Scott Steiner

COLLAR MATCH
"Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. Terry Gordy

FOR THE WCW TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
Diamond Dallas Page (c) vs. Road Warrior Hawk vs. Raven

GOLIATH VS. GOLIATH
The Giant vs. the Great Muta

LAWYER VS. LAWYER
Bazooka Kaboom vs. Brutus Briefcase

MANO E MANO
King Steven Regal vs. Eddy Guerrero

FOR THE WCW UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP
Ron Simmons (c) vs. Kid Rock

FOR THE WCW CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
El Hijo del Santo (c) vs. Psicosis

CALL OR CABLE OR SATELLITE PROVIDER TODAY!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

wcwwrestling.com posted:

FROM THE PEN OF DIAMOND DALLAS PAGE

It looks like even the rags can't even determine the plan. I've been hard at work these past few months putting the wheels in motion. Hell, it's been YEARS since I first got together with my society to plot to rule the wrestling world. You cannot stop us. You cannot contain us. We've already won.

Adamas Asentetus.

-Diamond Dallas Page

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Leader Of The Great Communication To Import Home Ahmed Johnson Problem posted:

This is where Ahmed Johnson. Chris-Candide cheats, fun. It will tolerate it. Believe in fair play enemies respect and hard work: until the Slammies is going to go away. I am fine. But next year, I will be nominated. Really believe in many categories.

Good evening light and comfortable, has.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

What, nobody else noticed the Razor Ramon picture in the gift package? What a beautiful reference :allears:

Good stuff from both sides. I'm an interested reader still for sure.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

harperdc posted:

What, nobody else noticed the Razor Ramon picture in the gift package? What a beautiful reference :allears:

That one was me, the rest of that match was all Abrasive Obelisk.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
:siren: WCW, Starrcade is booked with a few small issues still remaining, plus an announcement in your IRC topic. You also might look it over for "Perfect Show Theory" considerations. :siren:

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 13, 2014

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
he still knows...

JoeRules posted:

:siren: WCW, Starrcade is booked with a few small issues still remaining, plus an announcement in your IRC topic. You also might look it over for "Perfect Show Theory" considerations. :siren:

Godspeed, gentlemen:patriot:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I quit the game before seeing how it played out, well done Team WWF on getting the strap on Jerry Lynn finally haha.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Starrcade has ran, and both teams have been given a good deal of information that they didn't previously have. Happy New Year, folks. :toot:

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
he still knows...
ETA on Starrcade being posted?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

ETA on Starrcade being posted?

We're working on it right now.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I want to like WWF right now but their response to Triple H destroying Edge's neck with a Pedigree was to fire Edge.

Looking forward to Starrcade.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
he still knows...

Yaya posted:

I want to like WWF right now but their response to Triple H destroying Edge's neck with a Pedigree was to fire Edge.

Looking forward to Starrcade.

Edge botched taking that Pedigree, I'll have you know :colbert:

And we actually wanted to get rid of Edge for a while, and that was just the last straw.

Looking forward to Starrcade as well, since I have absolutely no clue what they are doing in terms of future storylines (then again, I highly doubt anyone knows where WWF is going either)

Abrasive Obelisk fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 15, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Not knowing where anything is going is the best part of these LP threads.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yaya posted:

Yeah, if there's anything I regret about how we've handled stuff so far, Edge's firing, Edge's push, poo poo, everything we did with Edge is at #1. Just a big mess.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Was it possible to keep him at jobber status or did he demand a push from day 1?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

He was a heat blackhole and he sucked in the ring. He refused to go to developmental and for some reason half the team kept trying to push him to disastrous results.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
he still knows...

Dreamsicle posted:

Was it possible to keep him at jobber status or did he demand a push from day 1?

We wanted to keep him in developmental for a while after bombing on the main roster, but he kept complaining because developmental had nothing to teach him (which was a problem that we have found a solution to). So we kept him on the main roster, where he wasn't over enough to be in a good feud but was too over to keep in dark matches. We gave him Jake Roberts to help with his transition, but Roberts is kinda old now and poo poo in the ring, so it just hurt both of them. By the end of his run, Edge was the very definition of damaged goods and the thing that defines early WWF (like how giving the MITB briefcase to John Morrison defined Rarity's awesome modern-day thread).

If I had to turn back time, probably would have treated him like WCW treats Christian now or just replace Jushin Liger with him in the Brave Lions.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Pairing Jake Roberts with Edge hurt Roberts' overness. Edge was like cancer in this game.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

wergeck.net posted:

Live results from Starrcade 1996!

DARK MATCH: Bam Bam Bigelow & Meng defeats the Nasty Boys

DARK MATCH: Chris Benoit defeats Rob Van Dam

DARK MATCH: Booker T defeats Hugh Morrus

Welcome to Starrcade '96! We are live from Greensboro Coliseum as Tony Schiavone, Jesse "the Body" Ventura, and Mike Tenay go down the card for one of the biggest shows in WCW and wrestling history. Every title is on the line tonight, so who will walk out as champions? What's the thing that DDP hinted at on Monday night? These questions and more will be answered live tonight!

Ron Simmons(c) (with Teddy Long) vs. Kid Rock for the WCW United States Championship.

Ron Simmons, the current longest reigning champion in WCW, clearly shows his size advantage on the diminutive Kid Rock, taking the early part of the match with high-power moves. Simmons looks to make quick work of Kid, but Kid Rock kicks out of the snap scoop powerbomb pin! Simmons can't believe it! He looks to take control of the match by picking up Kid Rock, but the K-I-D kicks him in the head, buying time to recover. Simmons looks to hit a football-style tackle on Kid, but the ropes are opened, sending Simmons flying to the outside. Kid Rock slowly gets up, runs the ropes, and does a suicide dive to the outside! Both men down, leading to the referee starting a count-out. Teddy Long rushes over to help Simmons to his feet. Simmons and Kid get back in the ring at the 7 count, and Kid goes on an offensive spree, even hitting Teddy Long with a dropkick to send him flying off the ring apron. Simmons grabs Kid for another snap scoop powerbomb, but Kid escapes and lands the Bullgod! The cover and the pinfall go to the NEW WCW United States Champion, Kid Rock!

Dusty Rhodes interviews Curt Hennig backstage. "You know something? If I was still WCW Commissioner, I wouldn't fire Hulk Hogan. If I fired Hulk Hogan, nothing would change; he'd just be a delusional fool someplace else, but without anyone else to tell him so. No, I wouldn't fire Hulk Hogan...until I take the AWA World Heavyweight Championship from him. That belt means the world to him, and taking it away from him might make him see the error of his ways. Maybe he'll learn something tonight, that you can't demand the fan's love. You earn the crowd's reaction through your deeds, not your wants. As a former AWA champion, I know what the belt means, and I will restore its prestige to its rightful place."

The Giant vs. The Great Muta.

The Giant waits for Great Muta in the ring as fog filled the ringside area, out of the fog raises James Mitchell with the Great Muta by his side. Before the match even beigns Muta tries using the dreaded black mist but the Giant covers his eyes with his massive hands. Muta and Mitchell are surprised the black mist backfired and that moment of shock allows Giant to immediately hit a giant world shaking punch to Muta. Luckly Muta kicks out right before three saving the match before it really began. Giant stomps on the back of Muta as Mitchell screams for his man to get up and fight. Giant shouts down at Mitchell giving Muta enough time to get to his feet and throw a hard karate kick right behind Giant's kneecap, bringing the behemoth to the ground. Muta continues his martial arts kicks to the grounded Giant but the Giant doesn't seem the be too effected as he gets back up to his feet slowly. Muta tries a flying dropkick by Giant just swats him out of the air. Giant signals for the chokeslam, but James Mitchell jumps up on the apron and waves his cane towards Giant distracting him. The Giant grabs Mitchell by the suit and pulls him into the ring and signals that he'll double chokeslam both Mitchell and Muta! Giant grabs both men by the throat but the kick and squirm so much they accidentally knock the referee down, who was trying to get Mitchell out of the ring. Giant lets go of both men to check on the ref and when he turns around Meng is in the ring and lays Giant out with a superkick. Muta climbs to the top rope and his a moonsault on Giant getting the pin. The Giant was off his game.

J. Brian Warrior vs. Brutus Briefcase.

Both men came down to the ring in their business best and carrying their briefcases. Brutus seems more timid coming to the ring while Warrior is his normal bombastic self as he sprints towards the ring shredding his pants, the suit and tie part actually painted on his body. Warrior begs Brutus to strike him first but Brutus bails out of the ring and Warrior follows. Brutus runs around the ring trying to escape the wild lawyer, but actually trips on the outside allowing Warrior to hit a big splash on the outside. Warrior rolls Brutus into the ring for a cover but gets only a two count. Warrior attempts another big splash but Brutus puts his knees up. A winded Warrior staggers to his feet and Brutus grabs him in the dreaded sleeper hold. Warrior's body is slowly going limp and the referee has to check to make sure Warrior isn't out cold. His arm drops once...,Brutus seems certain he's got this, twice......., but no Warrior's arms start pumping back to life. Brutus seems absolutely shocked, Warrior attempts to run but gets ripped down by his hair from Brutus. Briefcase goes to grab his briefcase not worrying about getting DQed but Warrior strikes back with his own custom briefcase of destrucity, and we have dueling briefcase fight! Both men smash the briefcases out of each others hands, but Brutus recoils more allowing Warrior to blast him with a big clothesline. Brutus staggers to his feet only to be gorilla press slammed and hit with a big splash from Warrior, scoring him the three count victory.

Dusty Rhodes is backstage with Hulk Hogan. "Well, Dusty, brother, I've been around this great big world, and I've met billions of Hulkamaniacs. But today, I met one special Hulkamania. His name was Bryan, and he was very very sick. He told me, 'Hey Hulk!' And I said, 'keep on trucking!' Bryan told me to win tonight's match for him and you know what he did?" Dusty shakes his head no. "He DIED. Right there in front the Hulkster! So I know that Hulkster's in Heaven right about now, telling me to beat the living daylights out of Curt Hennig!" Hogan turns to the camera. "Hennig, I don't know about you, but I've got a hankering...for blood. Your blood! My blood! Blood's blood! By getting in the ring with me, you've already lost the match! The only winning move is not to play! WHAT'CHA GONNA DO, BROTHER, WHEN HULKAMANIA RUNS WILD ON YOU?" Hogan leaves in a huff. Dusty looks confused and scared. This was clearly improvised, and both men looked good.

Diamond Dallas Page(c) vs. Road Warrior Hawk vs. Raven for the WCW Television Championship.

Most of the match is seemingly a handicap match, with DDP and Raven battling Hawk. To Hawk's credit, he withstands some punishment, even getting a pinfall attempt on both men at once. However, the odd pairing of DDP and Raven both attacking one man becomes too much, even for Road Warrior Hawk after an Russian legsweep/elbow drop combination. Raven hits an Even Flow DDT on Hawk and looks to get the pin....but doesn't. Raven looks at Diamond Dallas Page and sits, crumpled in the corner. Page picks up Hawk and hits a Diamond Cutter on him, getting the win and retaining the TV title. He yells at the camera, 'tonight isn't over!'

King Steven Regal vs. Eddy Guerrero.

Eddy Guerrero is decked out in the colors of Mexico and waving Mexico's flag as he comes to the ring, King Steven Regal however is carried to the ring in a throne held up by Nobility members. Eddy wants to shake Regal's hand before the match, but Regal just spits at him which sets off Eddy who lays in punch after punch on Regal. Guerrero's temper is so burning hot that he almost gets disqualified for not getting Regal out of the corner. As the referee backs Eddy off Regal gouges Eddy in the eye. Regal tries a roll up on the blinded Guerrero, but only gets a two count. Regal gets up only to eat a dropkick from the quicker wrestler. Regal begs to Eddy and asks him to mat wrestle him. Eddy agrees and both men do their best but Regal is able to stretch Eddy in a position he himself isn't to sure how to get out of. Luckily for him however he is right by the ropes and Regal is forced to let go. Regal tries to hit a knee trembler on Eddy, but Eddy leaps onto Regal's shoulders and tries to roll him up, only getting a two count. Eddy gets up right away ready to continue fighting, however Regal stays laying on the ground holding his ankle claiming it is injured. The referee tells Eddy to stay back as he checks on Regal's injury, but while this happens Brigadier Bobby Eaton gets up on the apron with King Regal's scepter trying to strike Eddy. Guerrero however sees this and begins struggling with Eaton over the scepter, Regal gets tired of waiting and shoves the referee and charges towards Eddy and Eaton. Eddy ducks and Eaton blasts Regal with the scepter, knocking him out cold. Eddy dropkicks Eaton to the floor and climbs the top rope to hit a Frog Splash on the unmoving Regal to get the three count for a dirty victory.

"Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. Terry Gordy in a Dog Collar match.

Before Randy Savage comes out to the ring Lanny Poffo grabs the microphone to remind everyone of the added stipulations to the match. "If my pea brained muscle-headed brother somehow wins then he'll finally get his chance to get his hands on me in the ring, but only for 3 minutes. However when my monster Terry Gordy wins then the beats and bloody Macho Man will have to admit to the world that I'm the superior brother and he'll kiss my feet!" Savage comes to the back deadly serious with a bandage still over his forehead from the beating he received last Nitro from Gordy. Both men wait patiently as the referee locked the collars and chains on each other and as soon as the referee moves the two men come rushing forward brawling in the center of the ring! Gordy and Savage trade rights and left nonstop until Savage starts getting the advantage leading Gordy to use his power and leverage to yanked the chain dragging Macho Man to the ground. Gordy wraps the chain around Savage's neck and does some sort of modified camel clutch with the chains. Savage refuses to give up so Gordy allows him up only to send him back to the ground with a big lariat. Gordy tries to whip Savage off the ropes but forgets about the chain, which yanks both men to the ground. As they both slowly get to their feet Savage blasts Gordy with a long section of chain busting Gordy open. Savage is going berserk as he bites the forehead of Gordy trying to draw more blood. Savage tries to go for one of his huge elbow drops but Gordy just pulls him off the top rope and to the mat effortlessly. Poffo shouts for Gordy to end it with a big powerbomb so Gordy obliges. He heaves Savage onto his shoulders and hits a big sitdown powerbomb, yet only gets a two to both Gordy and Poffo's shock. Poffo demands to do it again but this time Savage crotches Gordy with the chain as he is busy taking instructions from Poffo. Savage does his running guillotine spot taking his full momentum with the chain to the outside which drops Gordy throat first on the rope with the force of the collar and chain pulling his neck down harder. Gordy is out on the mat gasping for air as Savage climbs the top rope one more time for the big diving elbow drop scoring the victory, much to Lanny Poffo's shock and horror.

As the referee undos the dog collar, Poffo attempts to flee from ringside. The freed Randy Savage catches up to Poffo, now nearly all the way up the ramp, and punches him in the head. Savage drags Poffo back to the ring, where Poffo asks for leniency. Savage looks to the crowd before slapping Poffo. Savage goes on the attack, taking his months-long frustrations out on his brother. After hitting an atomic drop and a lariat takedown, Savage climbs to the top turnbuckle. The flashbulbs flash as Savage drops the elbow on Poffo!

Dusty Rhodes is yet again on interview duty, this time with the WCW Championship Challenger, Ric Flair. "Woooo, how ya doing Dusty! We got some history at this grand event don't we? I believe it was Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge when we went toe to toe, what good times my man. We were in some battles and history is all over our faces and bodies. But that's the thing about history, it's in the past and tonight a friendship is driven further in the past when I take on my old friend Arn Anderson. Anderson, I know you're listening pal, you tried to pull every dirty Horsemen trick on me leading up to Starrcade hoping to break me down and run me out of town, but I invented the book of Horsemen tactics with my own two hands! You tried sending the your Crippler after me with a sneak attack but I saw it coming a mile away and sent you running! History is gonna be repeated tonight as you tap out in the middle of the ring, and then the only thing that will be history is your title reign. Woooo! Woooooo!!" Flair looked good.

The Outsiders (Scott Hall and Kevin Nash)(c) vs. the Four Horsemen (Lex Luger and Sting) for the WCW Tag Team Championships.

Luger and Hall start out the match with a lockup. As they lock up, Schiavone asks the other announcers what the vaguely masonic markings on the Outsiders' gear means. Jesse Ventura says he knows a lot about symbols, but doesn't recognize the markings. While Luger misses with a discus forearm shot, Hall tags in Nash. Nash takes control of the match, attempting a pin after a sidewalk slam to only a two count. Nash tags back in Hall, who scrambles around Luger, looking for an opening. Luger gets up and ducks a lariat, getting the chance to tag in Sting, who takes down both Outsiders with a series of bulldogs. Sting whips Hall into the ringpost, and hits a Stinger Splash on him, landing Hall in the middle of the ring. Sting starts to pump the crowd up as he locks in the Scorpion Deathlock! Hall looks to reach the ropes, but Sting pulls Hall all the way across the ring. Kevin Nash looks to break up the submission, but gets caught by the referee.

Suddenly, Diamond Dallas Page runs out to the ring! Lex Luger runs out to stop him, but DDP hits him with the Television Championship. The ref, still distracted by Kevin Nash, misses Page hitting Sting with the belt as well, paving the way for Scott Hall to escape the Scorpion Deathlock and pin Sting. Schiavone, Ventura, and Tenay question what drove DDP out to the ring as the bell rings.

Diamond Dallas Page takes the microphone as Nash and Hall celebrate. "Gentlemen, it's time." Nash and Hall suddenly stop celebrating and bow their heads. "Tonight is a very important night. This is the dawning of a new age in wrestling. For too long, I've been marginalized. Well, I'm not Just Another Guy. I've spent the past few years with a group of individuals I've had the privilege to associate with."

Page hands the microphone to Nash. "Now, you might know me as Kevin Nash. You might know me by some other names. I doubt you remember this, though." He points to the TurnerTron and a video pops up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqNbG0_36Yw "Now, this was years and years ago, but that Vinny Vegas character? That's me. Back in 1991, DDP introduced me to the wrestling world, and a new way of life. I took over New York."

Nash hands the microphone to Hall. "Yo. I also got a video to show." Another video pops up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tivYZAG9Jdk "You see this handsome guy called the Diamond Studd? That's me. DDP introduced me to the wrestling world, and a new way of life. I took over New York."

Hall hands the microphone back to Page. "It's not just us. There are more of us, and we also live a way of life different from yours. We are Flawless Diamonds. We cannot be controlled. We cannot be contained. We have already won." The three men throw DDP's signature hand gesture in the air as the Outsiders' scary piano music plays.

Scott Steiner (w/ Bobby Heenan) vs. Rick Steiner.

Both Steiner brothers seem ready to brawl but Bobby Heenan stops Scott and brings him over to the corner to talk strategy. Rick gets impatient and charges in attacking Scott in the corner. Rick hits blow after blow to Scott's abdomen, but Scott grabs Rick and throws him in the corner instead and hits elbow after elbow to Rick. Scott backs up and flexes while talking trash to Rick, but he just slaps Scott right in the face for the disrespect. Scott locks up with Rick in a test of strength and for a while Rick had the advantage but Scott kicks him low in the knee before hitting a belly to belly suplex. Scott signals for his new finisher the Steiner Recliner as Heenan celebrates a victory already. Scott locks in the Recliner and talks trash to Rick demanding he gives up. However Rick is struggling his way out, slowly but surely climbing to his feet. He backs up with all the weight of Scott on his back and rams him into the turnbuckle, not once but twice before hitting a jawbreaker on Scott. Rick climbs to the top signaling for a diving bulldog but Bobby Heenan is shouting at him from the floor distracting him long enough that Scott crotches Rick on the rope. Scott climbs to the top rope with Rick and with some freakish strength is able to lift Rick from the turnbuckle and onto his shoulders before hitting a Super Samoan Drop. Both men are on the mat unconscious, but Heenan's cheering for Scott urges him to roll over to Rick and get the pinfall. Great chemistry between these two.

Backstage, Dusty Rhodes interviews Arn Anderson. "Dusty, I've been champion for over six months. During that time, I've had my ups and downs, but one thing is a constant: my ability to recover and compete. The things I've done to keep this title..." He stares off into the distance. "I've beaten Ric Flair before, I can do it again. Tonight changes nothing. I've tried too hard to lose my title to that washed-up windbag. The WCW World Heavyweight Championship, the greatest prize in pro wrestling, is where it belongs. No longer am I just 'Ric Flair's friend'. People will remember me as who I am: the man."

Hulk Hogan(c) vs. Curt Hennig for the AWA "Hulkamania" Championship

Back to the ring for Hulk Hogan defending his AWA 'Hulkamania' title against Curt Hennig. Hogan does his usual schtick of cupping his ear to the crowd as Hennig makes a disgusted face. The two men don't wait for the bell to sound before starting to brawl! The two men trade blows before Hennig shoves Hogan into the corner. The Hulkster is somewhat perplexed at Hennig - he had honestly thought it was going to be a cakewalk against Hennig. While Curt Hennig puts on most of the offense, Hulk Hogan just laughs it off. The two men duel with suplexes and body slams, neither giving an inch.

Suddenly, Hogan stops showing wear. Hennig knows it's coming, so he stops in his tracks. Hogan points at Hennig. "You!" he shouts, as Hennig sneers. Instead of hitting Hulk, though, Hennig opts for a dropkick, which Hogan doesn't see coming. Hogan quickly gets back up, so Hennig hits another dropkick, knowing that Hogan's in overdrive and cannot hit using his hands, for fear of the dreaded big boot/leg drop combination. Hogan once again gets up and points at Hennig. Hennig, quick-thinking as always...does nothing. Hogan is confused. He once again points Hennig, but he does not attack. Starved for something, Hogan throws the first punch. He shouts at Hennig to try and attack him, but Hennig does nothing. Hogan goes to the referee to talk about what's going on, which is the exact moment Hennig takes off and hits Hogan with a spear! While Hogan tries to get up, Hennig hits a Hennig-Plex! Despite the possible victory in hand, Hennig knows that Hogan is no ordinary wrestler, and releases the cradle before a pin can be counted. Instead, he picks Hogan up to deliever a second Hennig-Plex! The announcers are in disbelief as Curt Hennig defeats Hulk Hogan!

As Curt Hennig is awarded the AWA World Heavyweight Championship, Hulk Hogan looks on in disbelief: how could he have lost? I'm unbeatable!

El Hijo del Santo(c) vs. Psicosis for the WCW Cruiserwieght Championship.

El Hijo del Santo tries to keep Psicosis grounded for the match, knowing that the arialist is more dynamic when using the turnbuckle. Unfortunately, keeping Psicosis off of the turnbuckle is a fool's errand, as El Hijo's headstands headscissors is turned into a wheelbarrow facebuster. With El Hijo del Santo down, Psicosis goes up the turnbuckle. He points to Konnan before performing a diving leg drop, but his point gives just enough time to El Hijo to get out of the way! Psicosis writhes in agony as El Hijo del Santo locks in la de a Caballo, and Psicosis, without Perry Saturn by his side, has no choice but to tap out.

The commentary team hypes up the upcoming World Championship match and throw it to a video package about the rise and fall of Arn Anderson's New Horsemen and Ric Flair's redemption story. History between both Arn and Ric is shown in the footage. Both men are heard claiming they'll be the world champion in the new year as the video package ends.

Arn Anderson(c) vs. Ric Flair for the WCW Heavyweight Championship.

After the video package, it's time for the main event: Arn Anderson vs. Ric Flair. Both men stare daggers at each other as the bell rings. The two men slowly walk around the ring, knowing that everything has come down to this. Anderson offers a feat of strength to start the match, but Flair doesn't bite. On a split screen, we see the other Four Horsemen blocking Chris Benoit from running out to save Arn Anderson. The announcers note that neither man will have any outside interference from friends.

The two men finally connect with a series of chops as Anderson gets the advantage early. Anderson, for the most part, looks to pace himself in the match, preferring abdominal stretches and hammerlocks to Gourdbusters and neckbreakers. Flair, on the other hand, wants to win the title so bad he goes to work on Arn's knees. Flair goes for a figure-four leglock early, but Anderson easily grabs the ropes to force the Nature Boy to stop the hold. As Anderson regroups on the ropes, Flair grabs him and Irish whips him into the ropes, looking for a back body drop, but gets a boot to the head instead, which Arn combines with a DDT! Anderson goes for the cover, but Flair kicks out! Both men are spent as the referee starts to count for double knockout, but both men slowly get up before the 10 count.

The longer the match goes, the more desperate both men get, resorting to eye rakes to get extra time to regroup. Flair is sure not to charge Anderson, leary of the Double A Spinebuster. Flair eyes the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, sensing an opening. As he goes to grab it, though, the referee catches him, admonishes Flair, and goes to move the title belt to the ring announcer's booth. While Flair pleads his case, Anderson hits a low blow! Flair is in shock (also pain) as one of his patented sneak attacks is used by his opponent. The Original Enforcer smirks as he looks to insult Flair and locks in his own version of the figure-four leglock! Both men shout as Flair's hand gets desperate to the mat, but Flair doesn't give up. He musters all his strength into one last maneuver - to flip over Anderson and reverse the figure-four! Suddenly, Anderson cries in pain! He puts his face to the mat, feeling extreme pressure applied to his knees. He looks around the ring, trying to find any ring rope to save him, but there are none he can reach. Finally, Arn's had enough. He's finally been bested. Anderson taps. Ric Flair defeats Arn Anderson! While this was easily match of the night, the announcing hurt the match a little bit.

As Ric Flair begins to celebrate, the Four Horsemen theme plays as Lex Luger, Sting, and Barry Windham come out, clapping their hands. They go into the ring and Flair hugs all of them. Sting whispers some words of respect to Flair as he then leads the other two Horsemen into lifting Flair on their shoulders. Confetti and streamers start falling from the rafters as fireworks go off on stage to celebrate the new champion. The Horsemen all break out into 'wooo's, as does the crowd to cap off the show.

While this is WCW's biggest PPV of the year, it still can't hold a candle to Hog Wild. B.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 15, 2014

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

God, so close, just flubbed the Muta and Cruiser matches.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That was a fun read. Props, WCW.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Man I was pretty sloppy with this show. Few typo's like "Warrior grabs his briefcase not worried about getting DQed while Warrior grabs his to defend himself." Was way too tired typing is up and trying to proof read it.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

drat good show, fellas! Loved what you did with the Hennig/Hogan match, that was wicked.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
WCW, Nitro is booked, with issues. Check the doc.

WWF, RAW will run tonight.

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 17, 2014

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
WCW, you've got a major incident to deal with! Get on IRC ASAP!

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 18, 2014

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

AllOutOfBubblegum Usenet Report posted:

I got in a little early, and was able to catch a Mark Henry match, where he beat Sid. I guess they're counting these for the streak, since a 12 popped up after the match.

After that, I stepped out for a trip to concessions, and I'm sure I picked a bad time, because when I got back, Bret Hart was walking to the back after a match. Figures, on a Canada show, I manage to miss Bret Hart.

Intro for the 1996 Slammy Awards. Undertaker presents the What a Maneuver award. Jushin Liger wins for the Shooting Star Press, and thanks everyone back home in Japan, as well as the Brave Lions.

IC Title: Jerry Lynn/Matt Hardy, Lynn goes over with the Tornado DDT off the top rope
During the match the commentators note that McMahon has stated that Lynn isn't the sanctioned IC Champ and that a new IC belt is in the works.
Bradshaw joins the commentary booth, replacing Mean Gene, and loudly rebuts these reports.

"HE'S GOT THE BELT, SO HE'S THE CHAMP! HAVEN'T YA EVER HEARD THAT POSESSION IS 9/10 OF THE LAWR? THIS IS AMERICA, RODDY, HE'S JES BEIN' PATRIOTIC, AN' FLAUNTIN' THE GIFTS THE LAND 'A' OPPORTUNY'S GIVEN HIM!"

"NOW YOU LISSEN TA ME, YA BELLIGERENT LITTLE PUKE, I'VE HELD THAT INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE, AN' I NEVER HAD TO DIG IT OUTTA NO TRASH CAN! I'VE DONE SOME DIRTY THINGS IN MY DAY, BUT I NEVER DUG THROUGH A GARBAGE BARGE FOR A BELT! I AIN'T GOT NO INTEGRITY, BUT YOU CAN BE drat SURE I GOT TOO MUCH SELF-RESPECT TO DUMPSTER DIVE ON LIVE TV! AND THIS IS CANADA, YOU STUPID PIECE A poo poo!"

"AW, SELF-RESPECT, SCHMELF-RESC-RESPECHM-RE-WHATEVER! IT'S RESULTS THAT COUNT, AND IT'S PLAIN AS DAY THAT JERRY LYNN GOT RESULTS! AN' WITH THE GUIDIN' LIGHT CAP'N LOU ALBANO LEADIN' THE WAY, THERE'S NO CHANCE IN HELL HE'S LOSIN' THAT TITLE!"
I hope to god Bradshaw never returns to the commentating desk ever again. This match was a heatless affair that killed the crowd.

After that match, Bart Gunn and Bob Holly step up to the podium with Marc Mero and Marlena by their sides. They present the Tag Team of The Year Award... to the Three Man Power Trip: Steve Austin, Hunter Hearst Helmsely, and Brian Pillman! The three come out to accept their awards and steal Road Rage's mics in the process. "What you goddamn Canadians need to understand is that there is no chance in hell that the Three Men Power Trip won't walk into the Royal Rumble with our belts!" "It doesn't matter who wins this tournament, none of those degenerates have half our nobility" "Those poor suckers, having to work every single week while we stay at home and drink our Perrier!" All three simuntaniously go "AW, HELL YEAH!" before leaving. HHH looked good but Marlena was pretty weak on the stick(not what I would have expected, if you catch my drift).

Backstage, Jimmy Hart is hyping up the Legion Of Violence, in a Slammies-themed airbrushed jacket. "Now we aren't up for any awards tonight, but just you wait, next year, we're gonna sweep 'em! And it'll all start when we win this tag team tournament! And I wouldn't be worth my salt as a manager if I didn't give my clients outfits fit for the red carpet!" Jimmy Hart hands Shamrock and Sato red velvet entrance robes with AND THE WINNERS ARE... LEGION OF VIOLENCE on the back. Shamrock obviously appreciates the effort, but doesn't care for the robes themselves.

Tag Team #1 Contendership Round 2: Legion of Violence vs. Creature Feature, Goldust pins Sato.

Taz presents Debut Of The Year, and goes on a rant about how nobody respects him, not DiBiase, not the fans, not anyone! The winner, Chris Jericho, runs him down, and says that if he really thinks he deserves the Best Debut award, he should prove it in the ring. Jericho didn't get where he was by just sitting around complaining, he did it by winning matches and proving his skill. So if Taz is really that worked up over not winning Best Debut, he should put that anger into his match tonight, which is next. Taz and Jericho were both good.

Taz vs Godfather, Taz pins Godfather off a Tazmission-Plex. Taz was really sloppy, almost braining Godfather on a few suplexes.

Austin is stomping around backstage, livid. He passes Bret and Owen, who seem to snicker. "What the hayull are you laughin' at, you sons of bitches? I lost my Intercontinental title because of that dumbass McMahon! But you know what, I'm not gonna dwell on that. I'm gonna look to the future. I'm gonna look to the Royal Rumble, where I'll eliminate everyone else in that ring and main event Wrestlemania. Now how's that for ya, you Canadian pieces of crap?" Austin walks away in a huff.

Pillman presents Rivalry Of The Year, and Owen and Bret accept, saying they've made their peace with one another, but it's great to see the fans appreciate them. "Hey, Bret, if I win the belt and you win the Rumble, they might get to see Bret/Owen on the biggest stage of them all. Wouldn't that be something!" A production assistant talks to Pillman a bit, and he interjects. "Hold on, you guys might not want to leave just yet, because I'm being told to open the Match Of The Year envelope... and you guys win again! Bret Hart vs Owen Hart from IYH: Great White North! Well tha-WHAT? NO! HOLD ON!" Pillman opens another envelope. "HEARTWARMING MOMENT? AW SON OF A BITCH! YOU GODDAMN HARTS WIN EVERYTHING, DON'T YOU?" In a fit of rage, Pillman takes the Heartwarming Moment Slammy and decks Owen with it before walking off in a huff. Everyone - shockingly even Pillman - was pretty bad on the mic tonight.

Dave Taylor w/ Hillbilly Jim vs. Sione, Taylor goes over. Farrrrrrrrt. Nobody cared, and Taylor wasn't even on top of his game.

We are back to the back-lit room, we still cannot see the face of the old man. "I have seen the monster inside Mick Foley. I have fought the monster inside Mick Foley. And I have lost. But in defeat, I learned more about him than I ever wanted to know, and with that knowledge, I may just defeat him."
As the old man speaks, his words are intercut with mysterious video footage of Mick Foley, face covered in blood, smiling madly.
"Because the state Mick Foley is in now, dancing in tye-dye, dressing up as Father Christmas, and tag teaming with the Heartbreak Kid? That is not what Mick Foley is. He may pretend that is what he believes himself to be, deep inside, but I have seen him at his worst, and I felt every ounce of the sick joy he took in my pain. In his very soul, Mick Foley is that beast, that demon, that monster. It is what he is, and the sooner I free him of his inhibitions... the happier he'll be." This dude is crazy on the mic.

Stone Cold presents Speech Of The Year. Goldust and Undertaker accept for the Shattered Dreams Productions Presents skits, and say they'll see them for the tag team titles in 2 weeks. They stare down, but don't actually fight yet. Austin is a little stale, sad to say.

Owen Hart/Brian Pillman, Owen wins by DQ after a low blow from Pillman. This was a very even match, with the both of them reversing each other's holds until Pillman just got frustrated and socked Owen in the nuts.

Goldust presents Shocking Moment. WWF Raw moving to HBO wins, and Vince McMahon accepts the award. He talks about how he became acting WWF president after Gorilla Monsoon's injury, and says he'll try to run WWF as well as President Monsoon did.

Roddy presents Manager Of The Year. Jim Cornette wins, and insults Roddy all through his speech. Roddy takes offense, and Cornette offers a match with Vader in the main event tonight. Piper accepts.

Tag Team #1 Contendership Round 2: Heartbreakers vs. Camp Cornette, HBK pins Skunk after Sweet Oblivion. Skunk was obviously trying to please Cornette this time around, but that didn't help him in the least. After Skunk Bombing Foley, he paused to showboat for Cornette, allowing the Heartbreakers to hit Sweet Oblivion.

After the match, Skunkrocker goes right to Cornette and begins apologizing. "Skunk, Skunk, stop. Stop. You know what? I'll find something for you to do next week, just don't come down to ringside during Vader's match. I don't want you screwing yet another thing up for us. Can you do that?"
"Yes, sir!" Skunk was bad as per usual.

Vince McMahon presents Wrestler Of The Year. Owen Hart wins, and gives a speech. "WOOOO! I'M A 4-TIME SLAMMY WINNER, AND I DID IT ALL BY MY SWEET LITTLE SELF!" Vader interrupts his speech. "I SHOULD HAVE THAT AWARD! I'VE BEEN THE CHAMPION SINCE SUMMERSLAM, DOMINATING EVERYONE IN MY WAY, ESPECIALLY YOUR BROTHER BRET! I DESERVE IT!" "You can prove that at the Royal Rumble, in our title match!"

Vader faced Roddy Piper in what was a pretty back-and-forth match before Bulldog attacked Piper for a DQ win. Piper was gassing out by the end, but it was good.

Vader and Camp Cornette mock Piper, before Bret and Owen and Jericho run in to make the save and end Raw. There was a massive pop for the Harts, but of course.

Weird show, everyone looked like they were having an off-day. Still the upper midcard and main event stuff was great resulting in a B- Raw.

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

Ursus was robbed.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BoredDG posted:

Ursus was robbed.

At one point, they were actually tied.

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Say, do you take your mask off when you go to the bathroom?

I Before E posted:

I hope to god Bradshaw never returns to the commentating desk ever again.

17 years later, I agree.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

NewAgeJelqer posted:

Dude who posted the recap must've taken a piss after Liger's acceptance speech because he missed the Slammy for Best Shoes.

Owen presents Best Shoes. He's about to open the envelope with the winner until he throws it away. "WOOOOO! I DID IT! I WON THE SLAMMY FOR BEST SHOES! I KNEW IT! I'M A WINNER! WOOOO!" Owen is about to leave with the Slammy until Bret comes out and forces him give it to the real winner, Shawn Michaels. Shawn and Bret were good hands improvising, but Owen was... oof.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

I Before E posted:

At one point, they were actually tied.

RECOUNT! RECOUNT! I demand a match between Ursus and Jericho for the Slammy!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Nystral posted:

RECOUNT! RECOUNT! I demand a match between Ursus and Jericho for the Slammy!

Well, you've got your wish.

WWF Magazine's Pat Patterson posted:

Ya know, I see a lotta peoples complainin about da result, so what I gonna do is publicly lists da result. OK?

code:
Wrestler of the Year

Shawn Michaels	3	13%
Vader	        3	        13%
Mick Foley	2	9%
Steve Austin	1	4%
Owen Hart	5	22%
Bret Hart	0	0%
Other	        9	39%
-Shane Douglas  1       4%
-Goldust        2       9%
-Chris Jericho  2       9%
-HHH            2       9%
-Dave Taylor    1       4%
-URSUS          1       4%

Match Of The Year

HBK vs Bulldog, King Of The Ring 1996	                 0	0%
HBK vs Owen Hart, In Your House: Money In The Bank	 1	4%
Mankind vs The Ultimate Warrior, King Of The Ring 1996	 1	4%
Mankind vs Dave Finlay, Summerslam 1996	                 0	0%
HBK vs Mankind, In Your House: Vengeance           	 1	4%
Bret Hart vs Owen Hart, In Your House: Great White North 9	39%
Chris Jericho vs Vader, Monday Night Raw	         1	4%
Two Man Power Trip/Brave Lions, Survivor Series 1996	 7	30%
Other	                                                 3	13%
-Shane Douglas vs. Ron Harris                            1      4%
-http://pastebin.com/vVHBnMPq                            1      4%
-Skunkrocker winning the Pan-Am Title                    1      4%

Shocking Moment Of The Year

Vader hospitalizes Gorilla Monsoon	                                0	0%
Steve Austin retires Yokozuna                                         	1	4%
Animal comes to WWF	                                                0	0%
Raw moves to HBO	                                                12	52%
The Ultimate Warrior is found unworthy, and Animal takes his place	4	17%
Brian Pillman joins the Power Trip                                   	1	4%
Owen Hart leaves Cornette's Camp	                                1	4%
Other                                                             	4	17%
-http://pastebin.com/3Hx75iKE                                           1       4%
-Harris Boys and Paul Heyman form The Dangerousest Alliance             1       4%
-Skunkrocker loses the title.                                           1       4%
-Marty Jannetty becomes Skunkrocker                                     1       4%

Speech Of The Year

The Mankind Interviews	                5	22%
WCW Monday Nyquil	                5	22%
Shattered Dreams Productions Presents	7	30%
The Skunkrocker Speaks	                3	13%
The Two World Order                  	0	0%
Other                            	3	13%
-Every single TMPT promo                1	4%
-New Jack           	                1	4%
-http://pastebin.com/z7pyv9sY           1	4%

Heartwarming Moment Of The Year

Raw Is Lawler	                                 2	 9%
Mankind becomes Dude Love	                 4	 17%
The Hart Brothers reunite	                 9	 39%
The Brave Lions prevail over the Power Trip	 2	 9%
Other	                                         6	 26%
-Skunkrocker winning the Pan-Am Title            2	 9%
-The Bear                                        1       4%
-Sting saves the Four Horsemen and wins War Games1       4%
-Don Harris become Tag Champions                 1       4%
-http://pastebin.com/tKXSKTR5                    1       4%

Tag Team Of The Year

Two Man Power Trip	   12	52%
Hart Foundation	           0	0%
Brave Lions	           3	13%
Dudleyz          	   0	0%
Heartbreakers	           0	0%
Road Rage	           1	4%
Hay Dick         	   6	26%
Other           	   2	9%
-Don Harris and Blue Meanie0	0%

What A Maneuver Award For Finest Finisher

Sweet Chin Music	2	9%
Stunner          	3	13%
Pedigree	        0	0%
Sharpshooter	        1	4%
Shooting Star Press	5	22%
Mandible Claw	        0	0%
3D               	4	17%
Vaderbomb	        2	9%
Other	                6	26%
-Bear Naked Choke      	4	17%
-Goosestep Big Boot   	4	17%
-I gotta be honest I can't
remember what Skunkrocker's
finisher is	        1	4%
-Chris Jericho's
Five Finishers of Doom  4	17%
-http://pastebin.com/1UNVKiM2 1 4%
-Stinkbomb              1	4%

Rivalry of the Year

Bret Hart/Owen Hart		7	30%
Mankind/Finlay			0	0%
Chris Jericho/Owen Hart		1	4%
Vader/HBK			1	4%
Two Man Power Trip/Brave Lions	1	4%
Goldust/Undertaker	        6	26%
Goldust and Undertaker/
Kane and The Ultimate Warrior	3	13%
Bret Hart/Vader			1	4%
Other				3	13%
-ECW vs. Those Two Other Companies 1	4%
-Skunkrocker vs. The Writing Team 1	4%
-http://pastebin.com/1KP1t9dq	1	4%

Debut of the Year

Taz				1	4%
Chris Jericho			9	39%
The Dudleyz			0	0%
Jushin Liger			0	0%
Dave Taylor			1	4%
Animal				0	0%
Stan Hansen			0	0%
Mark Henry			5	22%
Finlay				0	0%
Other				7	30%
-URSUS				4	17%
-Edge				1	4%
-Bad News Allen			1	4%
-http://pastebin.com/cjfd40Cz	1	4%

Best Supporting Actor Award For Excellence In Management

Jim Cornette		15	65%
Paul Bearer		1	4%
Dirty Dutch Dudley	2	9%
Hillbilly Jim		2	9%
Ted DiBiase		1	4%
Brother Love		0	0%
Other			2	9%
-Paul Heyman		1	4%
-macklmaor dressed up
like a jew. holy gently caress	1	4%

Nicest Shoes

HBK		  4	17%
Bret Hart	  1	4%
Goldust		  3	13%
Finlay		  1	4%
Jim Cornette	  2	9%
The Undertaker	  0	0%
Other		  12	52%
-Hulk Hogan	  2	9%
-URSUS		  1	4%
-You. WANNA gently caress? 1	4%
-I need an adult. 1	4%
-Michael Jordan,
Space Jam.	  1	4%
-Mine, I MEAN
SKUNKROCKER'S	  1	4%
-Ultimate Warrior 1	4%
-Rocky Miavia:
They can walk in
and walk out of
WWF in record
time! :)	  1	4%
-British Bulldog  1	4%
-*Toilet flush*	  1	4%
-Amish Roadkill	  1	4%
Thank for voting, an I hope youse all vote again next years!

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

I Before E posted:

Well, you've got your wish.

-Michael Jordan,
Space Jam. 1 4%

Yay. :toot:

Also, pastebin is terrifying.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Debut of the Year

Taz 1 4%
Chris Jericho 9 39%
The Dudleyz 0 0%
Jushin Liger 0 0%
Dave Taylor 1 4%
Animal 0 0%
Stan Hansen 0 0%
Mark Henry 5 22%
Finlay 0 0%

Other 7 30%
-URSUS 4 17%
-Edge 1 4%
-Bad News Allen 1 4%
-http://pastebin.com/cjfd40Cz 1 4%

19 people got this vote wrong HOO BOY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlie72
Apr 21, 2010
High five too whoever also voted for Hulk Hogans shoes.

• Locked thread