Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

quote:

A group of explorers make use of a newly discovered wormhole to surpass the limitations on human space travel and conquer the vast distances involved in an interstellar voyage.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/interstellar/teaser-trailer

Starring: Matthew McConaughey, Jessica Chastain, and Anne Hathaway, among others.

The teaser for this film was just released, and as teasers go, I think it's perfect. There's something that's missing from modern big budget or high profile Sci-Fi (to me, anyway,) and that is romance. If there's one thing I take away from this teaser it's a beautiful feeling of almost ... emptiness, I guess. When it ends, and you see that rocket flying up into the sky, and McConaughey says "our destiny lies above," it fills me with a sense of anticipation that I don't think I've ever felt for a film.

If there's one thing you can count on with Nolan, it's that he'll take an ambitious idea and completely buy into it. Inception was a mess in parts, but considering everything involved in the story, would you have rather seen anyone else do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm down for this. McConaughey just oozes charisma and he can totally sell any character he portrays.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Have to quote this post from twoot from the Trailers thread, because this is the most interesting thing I've heard about it so far:

twoot posted:

It was filming as of late November.

Not many set pictures though, other than Nolan strapped a 70mm IMAX camera to a learjet

:pcgaming:
Christopher Nolan and Matthew McConaughey in a space exploration flick sounds like a hell of a good time at the movies, but that picture just sends it over the edge for me.

I'm crazy excited for this.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm hoping it treats space more along the lines of Gravity, despite the necessary sci-fi conceits it'll require to sell a wormhole cinematically.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Christopher Nolan is my favorite director, so I was hyped up about this movie anyways. But that teaser, despite not really showing anything, has made me even more excited, especially that last shot. I mentioned this in another thread, but the cinematographer for this is Hoyte Van Hoytema, best known for doing cinematography on "Let The Right One In" and "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy", so "Interstellar" should be at least a beautifully shot movie.

Anybody know where the music in the teaser is from? Is it original or from something else?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I am fully prepared for this movie to mess with my mind re: the concept of time.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
The cast looks fantastic and the teaser was interesting (and, to steal what a poster above said, it did feel 'romantic').

It was always a treat getting an original Nolan film in between Batman so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

Also, more big budget sci-fi is excellent :dance:

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I was so excited about this at first. Christopher Nolan directing a Sci-Fi flick? Are you kidding me? Count me the gently caress in!

And then I heard Matthew McConaughey is in it. Matthew loving McConaughey!! I love Sci-Fi and Nolan but I seriously might skip this one now.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Yaws posted:

I was so excited about this at first. Christopher Nolan directing a Sci-Fi flick? Are you kidding me? Count me the gently caress in!

And then I heard Matthew McConaughey is in it. Matthew loving McConaughey!! I love Sci-Fi and Nolan but I seriously might skip this one now.

And you'd be a fool to do so. He's proven to be a genuinely good actor in the past few years, and he certainly won't ruin the movie if that's what you're worried about.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

McConaughey gave not one but three of the best film performances of 2012. He's the #1 reason to be excited about this movie.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Yaws posted:

I think this post got here via a wormhole from 2009.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Yaws posted:

Go see Dallas Buyers Club and get your rear end rocked off.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I would also recommend Killer Joe, Mud, and Bernie.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

IMB posted:

The teaser for this film was just released, and as teasers go, I think it's perfect. There's something that's missing from modern big budget or high profile Sci-Fi (to me, anyway,) and that is romance. If there's one thing I take away from this teaser it's a beautiful feeling of almost ... emptiness, I guess. When it ends, and you see that rocket flying up into the sky, and McConaughey says "our destiny lies above," it fills me with a sense of anticipation that I don't think I've ever felt for a film.
I think the thing I love about Nolan's sci/fi films is that he shows a level of restraint that makes the fantastic truly special. A lesser director would take something like Inception and just fill it to the brim with weird fantastic dream stuff. Nolan instead restrains, make dreams feel like reality with some things just being a bit off. So when you see a cityscape explode or the zero gravity fight scene, those things really stand out instead of just blending in with a bombardment of special effects.

I think this trailer is a good example. A rocket taking off in the distance shouldn't really mean much to a modern audience, but the build-up of the trailer makes it seem so exciting and special.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Yaws posted:

If you think of him as that guy in those lovely chick flicks, you're wrong. He broke out of that mold and he's proven to be a FANTASTIC actor who blows me away every time.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Looks great, "One year from now" is a little weird, though.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

drat good teaser. That last shot was some Carl Sagan poo poo.

I'm surprised to hear people are excited about McConaughey, but I guess I've only ever seen him in bad movies.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Bung Harmer posted:

If you think of him as that guy in those lovely chick flicks, you're wrong. He broke out of that mold and he's proven to be a FANTASTIC actor who blows me away every time.

I read an interview where he recognized he was taking on some very "easy" roles. His filmography of the 00's- half are interchangeably typecast. In 2011, he starred in the Lincoln Lawyer and even though the movie wasn't "great" it was a complete turn-around for him. His worst movie since was The Paperboy, but it was still different from "clueless romantic lead". He's starred in better movies in the past two years than he has if you compare the rest of his career. He reached a level of self-awareness few actors achieve. He came to a point where starring in a better movie was more fulfilling than starring in a popular (more well known) movie with a higher paycheck.

Cage posted:

Yeah it seemed like it was going to lead with another tagline, but nope- that's it. :iiam:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cage posted:

Trying to give it a sheen of importance?

I'm a diehard Nolan fan but am a bit worried (a worry elevated by the trailer) that this will employ the typical disaster movie tropes that have long since grown tired. Hopefully it's not a band-of-scientists-needs-to-quickly-save-humanity type thing. Definitely seen that movie before.

Knowing that Nolan re-wrote the original script incorporating his own ideas gives me quite a bit of comfort, though. The fact that it's also under Inception-type levels of secrecy (and they showed virtually nothing in the teaser) also gives me hope.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Arkane posted:

I'm a diehard Nolan fan but am a bit worried (a worry elevated by the trailer) that this will employ the typical disaster movie tropes that have long since grown tired. Hopefully it's not a band-of-scientists-needs-to-quickly-save-humanity type thing. Definitely seen that movie before.

Knowing that Nolan re-wrote the original script incorporating his own ideas gives me quite a bit of comfort, though. The fact that it's also under Inception-type levels of secrecy (and they showed virtually nothing in the teaser) also gives me hope.

It's a time travel movie too.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Physics geeks are going to have a ton of fun breaking down this film. The script throws around the phrase "blue shift" like no one's business.

Arkane posted:

The draft I read written by Jonathan Nolan definitely swings closer to the film you don't want to see but it's already obvious that Nolan has done some significant reworking of the script. The original draft, by the way, was a hoot. Its scope big, and quite genuinely emotional even though its a "disaster" flick. It's really playful. Christopher Nolan doesn't really do hoots or "playful". This draft was written when the project was still Spielberg's so obviously Nolan will tailor it to his own style, but I cannot help but think that this film might be a big challenge for him.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
For anyone that has any doubt about about MM, go watch Killer Joe, or even Mud. He's been on a roll lately.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The last time I thought "Goddamnit, Matthew McConaughey's in this? :ughh: " was before Tropic Thunder, so at least 5 years ago.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I know the movie will likely end up being good, but the trailer was kind of lackluster. I know it was just a teaser and all, but really the only thing you could glean from it was the the movie will be about space. It didn't really grab me.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Cage posted:

I think it perfectly fits the endless grandiose of space / sci-fi. What's a year compared to eternity?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The last time I thought "Goddamnit, Matthew McConaughey's in this? :ughh: " was before Tropic Thunder, so at least 5 years ago.

Tropic Thunder was pretty much his tipping point into taking better roles. Or maybe his bit part in Eastbound and Down where I believe he uses the phrase 'dragon pussy' as a metaphor for success.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
whoever made that teaser seems to have been a fan of star trek: enterprise

pumped for this

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Tropic Thunder was pretty much his tipping point into taking better roles. Or maybe his bit part in Eastbound and Down where I believe he uses the phrase 'dragon pussy' as a metaphor for success.

To be honest, it think that he is really underrated in Reign of Fire (2002), and that might have been the stepping-off point. He sells tough guy, but more than that, tough guy who forces himself not to wrestle with his choices. I thought he did far better than Bale.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
Some people just can't stand Matthew McConaghey, it seems. My father is one of them. He admits that Matthew is a good actor, but says that he has no urge to watch his movies anyway. "There is something inherent about him that I dislike. Can't really explain it, but it's this odd swagger of sorts in every role he plays". I still intend to watch Dallas Buyer's Club with him, if only to sway his mind. Heck, I would have agreed with him some years ago, but these days I honestly think that McConaghey is one of the best actors around, and somebody who has shed that veil of 'Hollywood cockiness' from his shoulders. Whatever role he takes, I'm there to see it. His transformation throughout the past few years has been incredible.

Now, regarding the teaser... I thought it was beautiful. A perfect teaser, if you will. A year is a pretty long time to wait for a film, but I'm certain that Nolan is worth it. I know nothing about the plot, and I intend to keep it that way.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DFu4ever posted:

I know the movie will likely end up being good, but the trailer was kind of lackluster. I know it was just a teaser and all, but really the only thing you could glean from it was the the movie will be about space. It didn't really grab me.

All you really need to know is that it's about space, it's from the guy who did Inception and Batman, and it has that guy you saw from [other film].

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Matthew McConaughey was also in Contact which all the nerds love.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Big budget sci fi, hell yes.

Don't be like Prometheus don't be like Prometheus don't be like Prometheus.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

d3rt posted:

Big budget sci fi, hell yes.

Don't be like Prometheus don't be like Prometheus don't be like Prometheus.
Prometheus owned :colbert: Although even though I like Matthew McConaughey now, Prometheus probably wouldn't have owned if he'd been in it.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I am excited about this but the teaser wasn't really enough for me... I think just because I can't really tell at all what this movie's going to really be about. I mean, the Inception teaser was kind of the same, but it threw in enough crazy imagery that I was excited anyway even though the premise wasn't explained yet at all; I kind of got an idea of what to expect just from snippets of the rotating hotel hallway and stuff like that. I'm excited because sci fi and space and Nolan but I don't have a grasp on it beyond that just yet.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Well, it's a really, really boring teaser. It has an air of grandeur but nothing to back it up but shots of fields.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Popcorn posted:

Well, it's a really, really boring teaser. It has an air of grandeur but nothing to back it up but shots of fields.

What do you want to see? Space explosions and Matthew Mcconaughey punching aliens for two minutes? It's good for a teaser, and a different approach from typical big budget drivel that we get.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hopefully there is no punching at all.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
On one hand, I'm looking forward to this because Nolan knows how to structure a film in unique ways but on the other hand we get to put up with another 18 months of :nolan: to the point where the mods make it bannable to discuss him again.

I'm hoping that doesn't happen again because Nolan is a talented filmmaker and I find myself watching Memento every year to be reminded of this.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Rad Russian posted:

What do you want to see? Space explosions and Matthew Mcconaughey punching aliens for two minutes? It's good for a teaser, and a different approach from typical big budget drivel that we get.

I personally didn't consider it boring, just that I'm looking way forward to a real trailer so I can grab onto something a little more substantial. The teaser for Inception was more effective for me because it got me interested in seeing more on its own, whereas Nolan/sci fi/Inception that's getting me interested in Interstellar and not any particular thing I saw in the teaser.

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006
I can't say the trailer makes me want to watch the film, it's just a US-centric recap of the space race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

FightingMongoose posted:

I can't say the trailer makes me want to watch the film, it's just a US-centric recap of the space race.

It's not a trailer, it's a teaser. It's just to let you know that nolan is making a movie about space with matthew mcconaughey. it'll be a long time before we see a full trailer.

• Locked thread