Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Sorry folks, I was referring to the Interstellar trailer in that post, I made the mistake of not checking the quoted post before responding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
I know I'm in the minority here but that Teaser was overwhelmingly stupid. It doesn't even fuckin give you a sense of the plot at all, which is what teaser trailers are supposed to do, at least. It wasn't even footage that he filmed, it was archive poo poo from the 20th century. I think the days of Nolan's masterpieces such as Momento & Insomnia are behind us folks.

I'll go see it anyways because I think Chastain is hot.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Devout Christian posted:

I know I'm in the minority here but that Teaser was overwhelmingly stupid. It doesn't even fuckin give you a sense of the plot at all, which is what teaser trailers are supposed to do, at least. It wasn't even footage that he filmed, it was archive poo poo from the 20th century. I think the days of Nolan's masterpieces such as Momento & Insomnia are behind us folks.

I'll go see it anyways because I think Chastain is hot.

You're wrong and dumb.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teaser_campaign

Teasers just tell an audience that a movie is in production and maybe hints and what the movie deals with.
This teaser shows people pushing the boundaries in flight (like Yeager in the X1) with McConaughey saying the days of being pioneers isn't behind us yet with a shot of a spacecraft taking off. Hmm it's a real puzzler what the general themes are going to be.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The teaser for Inception was also released a year before the movie came out, and it showed a lot more: it established what the movie was about ("YOUR MIND IS THE SCENE OF THE CRIME"), had some really cool visuals, and even introduced some motifs like the top and maze and the low BWOOOM noises without spoiling anything about the plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5VDKVqvo8M

By comparison, I didn't even know that Interstellar was a time travel movie until I read this thread and the visuals are mostly stock footage or may as well be for how much they show about the movie.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I don't understand what people are talking about the teaser not giving any indication what the movie is about. It's all spelled out pretty clearly: hard working Americans have overcome adversity like nobody else and so they can now ship their corn into outer space.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

I don't understand what people are talking about the teaser not giving any indication what the movie is about. It's all spelled out pretty clearly: hard working Americans have overcome adversity like nobody else and so they can now ship their corn into outer space.
The synopsis of the movie is about wormholes and time travel. Using these as analogies to hard working americans overcoming adversity is just stupid. These weren't even hinted upon in that "teaser" trailer. Anyone who has never heard of this movie before watching this trailer would have no idea the plot would be about.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hard working Americans overcome their adversity in not getting jokes.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like Nolan and McConaughey. The plot sounds loving awesome. The teaser trailer didn't sell me since I'm more interested in the wormhole, but I'm definitely seeing this one. Space owns. Physics own. These kinds of movies own.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

zVxTeflon posted:

Hard working Americans overcome their adversity in not getting jokes.
I don't think that was a joke.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I watched the teaser and now I've got the theme from Star Trek Enterprise stuck in my head.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

I watched the teaser and now I've got the theme from Star Trek Enterprise stuck in my head.

Honestly, it reminded me too much of Kirk's introduction in the J.J. Abrams' Star Trek.

Also, that shot of an Iowan family corn farm is so goddamn cliched and completely disassociated from real life of "hard working Americans". There's what, maybe 2 million people in this country earning a living off farm work? There's more Mexicans and other migrant workers from Latin American countries doing field work in the U.S. than American farmers. Honestly, that hokey appeal to sentimentality is something I'd expect from Michael Bay, not Christopher Nolan.

It's very obvious, unlike Inception, that they had none of the effects work finished and had to rely on already-shot footage of Matthew visiting his folks instead.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Well, maybe they are mexican? :colbert:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Okay, my problem with the teaser is that there's nothing 'interstellar' about what we're being shown. If I didn't know about the wormhole from the hype here on SA, I would think this is some sort of "The Right Stuff" type movie about the later part of the Space Race after Gemini.

Actually, thinking about it more, I want this movie to be "The Right Stuff" set in the future. Who gives a poo poo about what's on the other side of the wormhole, it's all about what it takes to get there.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't think some people here understand that by talking about this movie a year before it hits theaters, you have proven that the teaser succeeded at exactly what a teaser is supposed to do.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don't think some people here understand that by talking about this movie a year before it hits theaters, you have proven that the teaser succeeded at exactly what a teaser is supposed to do.

I'm sure teaser trailers aren't intended to give bad first impressions either, like this one did.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If you actively hated the teaser for some reason, fair enough. But the most prominent complaint has been that it doesn't communicate enough, and "I'd like to know more about that" is a fairly useful reaction for a teaser to generate.

battle
Dec 20, 2013

this movie will probaly never make it into the danish cinemas, however it does seems interesting.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Shot a lot of cooooool rear end poo poo for this movie. It's okay to be excited.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

twoot posted:

It was filming as of late November.

Not many set pictures though, other than Nolan strapped a 70mm IMAX camera to a learjet

Sorry to jump back a ways, but that definitely looks like the Learjet owned by Wolfe Air. The plane is specially modified for aerial or air-to-air shooting, and results of their work routinely gives me goddamn goosebumps. Aerial cinematography is always neat.

I want to say there is a goon that either works for Wolfe or has just worked on their plane, I don't quite remember.

https://vimeo.com/70994185

Saw the trailer for the first time last night, does anyone else think that McConaughey's voice is going to be the most amazingly iconic "whistful old man voice" of the 2020s?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

battle posted:

this movie will probaly never make it into the danish cinemas, however it does seems interesting.

Why... What makes you say that?

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide
I posted this on Reddit a while back, thought some of you might want the whole thing.

Plot summary of the 2008 script for those wondering. WARNING: POTENTIALLY VERY SPOILER INTENSIVE.

Note: Cooper is the main protagonist of the story, this is Matt Mcconaughey's character.

The story starts of with earth having been decimated by war and famine. A disease has killed off most of the fruit and vegetation, except for corn. Almost all of the animal life has been killed by people after the famine began. All pre existing world governments have appeared to have crumbled with a few small exceptions such as the Republic of Texas.

A space probe falls from the sky one night and Cooper, who is known for his technical prowess in a world that no longer needs it, is called in by a farmer who finds it. Cooper takes it home in hopes of salvaging some of the parts. He is able to take an image off of it which appears to be an ice planet of some sort. The probe then starts to make a scream like noise and won't stop unless its carried in a western direction towards California. Cooper and his son Murph go in the direction the probe takes them until they reach a hidden industrial base which contains what appears to be the last remnants of NASA. Cooper and his son are detained for the sake of trying to save a confidential mission.

Brand is a young female scientist whose main drive in life is to make sure their mission succeeds. Cooper asks just what the hell is going on. Brand and her father show him that the disease that is causing the famine is evolving and will eventually destroy the corn crop as well, effectively killing off the human race. It is inevitable at this point. They have discovered a worm hole near the earth that is very stable and appears to be designed rather than a random event in the universe. This is what the probe came from. They had been sending out probes for years, but this is the first one to come back and appears to have found an inhabitable planet with oxygen and water.

Cooper is asked to join the mission as he has proven himself to be a very resourceful and intelligent person in a world with few such people. Cooper gives his son Murph his watch as a promise that he will be back to get it. He says goodbye to Murph his other son Tom. Cooper and the rest of the team (of which includes Brand and a rather humorous robot marine called Tars) head into space and pass through the wormhole. While in the wormhole they see what can only be described as gravity beings which are able to warp space effortlessly. They play with the members of the team, contorting them into grotesque shapes, but it does not hurt them. Once on the other side of the wormhole, the team plants a relay so that they are able to talk to people on earth.

The solar system they are now in features two gigantic blackholes that they will use to slingshot themselves to the planet. However things go awry and the ship is sucked into orbit around one of the black holes. The ship very nearly approaches the speed of light as it is speeding round and round. Tars is blasted into space saving the ship from destruction and setting it free from the gravity of the black hole. They arrive at the new planet and detect the signals of all the other probes that were sent out.

The team goes to the planet surface and digs where the probe reading is coming from. They discover a Chinese outpost has already been built, but it is now abandoned. While searching the outpost they find that the entire crew has been killed from radiation poisoning as there is a Neutron star in the system that was being blocked by the black hole for 20 hours at a time. As the neutron star is about to dawn on the planet, the crew scrambles to find a way to hide from it as it will kill them as well. They find the Chinese have dug a tunnel in the ice in an attempt to shield themselves. The crew digs deeper and finds an open MASSIVE cave filled with Oxygen and Water.

Brand is adamant that this discovery is part of a plan by whomever built the wormhole to save humanity from extinction. They see that the interior of the cave is covered by a colony like lifeform that has no discernible stationary form. This lifeform soaks up the Neutron star's radiation, thus shielding them from certain death.

Now here is where things get a bit weird.

The crew finds a large Chinese colony outpost built for hundreds of people. This was built by the robots sent on the initial mission, but since the crew did not survive, the robots kept building and fulfilling their original plan. Chinese robots detain the crew and hold them in their colony. The crew then discovers that there was another Chinese mission that explored the rest of the system and they found what they described as a "treasure". The reason for them exploring the rest of the system is because of a smaller blackhole working it's way through the system that will eventually destroy the ice planet. The crew also finds a gravity device built by the Chinese that was intended to move the black hole. However, Case, the mission leader ,and also a robot, decides this device would be better suited to move the whole human race elsewhere without the aide of the wormhole or the ice planet.

They attempt to leave with the device, but the Chinese robots won't let them. A fight ensues and Case destroys a few of them and eventually wins. They leave the surface with this new device and a sample of the lifeform previously discovered in order to keep it from extinction as well. On board the main ship, they attempt to contact Earth but they get no answer. Brand then informs Cooper of the reason for this. When they were caught in the black hole's gravity, they were trapped outside of time and are now 47 years into the future. Cooper is able to contact the relay and receives several years' worth of messages from his sons.

Deciding now is the time to go home and see what is left of the human race, the ship is about to set course for home. But it is revealed that one of Chinese robots switched out his control module into Case's body and sabotages this attempt. The ship is caught into the gravitational pull of the black hole and the crew is able to watch as time fast forwards exponentially. The small black hole destroys the ice planet and the wormhole is swallowed up by one of the bigger black holes. They are able to fire their propulsion system and escape the black hole once again, but now it is 200 - 250 years into the future. Humanity is almost certainly extinct and three humans are all that is left. In a last ditch effort to save themselves, the remaining crew of Cooper, Bran, and Doyle, decide to make way for the place in the system where the Chinese said they found a "treasure".

Now here is where things get REALLY weird.

They find a second wormhole and travel through. This time they are in what can only be described as pure nothing. They are in this nothing for days. While in the void, Cooper watches all the videos his sons sent him. The crops have all died and humanity is slowly dying by the time the last transmission is made. Then the wormhole gravity beings they found earlier are once again inside their ship. The beings drag the ship to a massive and super technologically advanced space station in the void. Below them is a view of the universe. They are outside of space/time at this point. Tars greets them much to their surprise. It is revealed he went there after being blown into space and has been cataloging all the advanced technology for the past 300 years. Above them is a series of thousands of black holes that lead to even more destinations. Tars tells the group that the Chinese built this space station over a period of 4,000 years. However, they only used one black hole. Cooper looks at which one it is, and it appears to be a time warp back to earth before their launch even took place.

Brand decides she wants to explore the universe and uses one of the Chinese advanced space ships and goes off through a random wormhole. Doyle and Cooper get in another that has been prepped for travel through the wormhole. However, on the way to the wormhole, Cooper notices that a probe is strapped in and it is the exact same one he found before they left. He implores Doyle to stop as this ship is going to be destroyed and the probe will be the only thing left. Doyle doesn't listen but keeps going. Cooper uploads the schematics for the gravity device to the probe and ejects. The ship goes through the wormhole and is destroyed. All but the probe. Cooper then resigns himself to the fact that he is one of the last two humans alive, but elects to go through a wormhole to Earth as it exists 300 years after he left it in an attempt to save what humanity might possibly be left.

A flashback occurs that shows that Murphy looked through the contents of the probe many years after his father left. HE finds the gravity device schematics and attempts to build it. Fast forward more years, Murph's daughter is able to build it but destroys a barn in the process. Back to the present day: Cooper lands on the now barren earth and decides to let the lifeform from the ice planet go. It begins to thrive on it's new planet, which has been turned into a frozen tundra. Cooper now realizes that was the plan all along from the gravity beings. Not to save humanity, but this other creature. Cooper decides to find a place to die a quiet death and falls asleep in the snow storm.

Cooper wakes up in a hospital. It is revealed he is in a space station named for one of his descendants. Coopers great great grandson, who is now 80, gives him his watch back. The new government sets Cooper up a farm on the new space station, but he becomes bored. He grabs Tars and hijacks a space ship from the dock and goes into the black void for another adventure.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
That sounds like a lot fun and it's pretty detailed, even with the gaping omission at the end (how does the ice lifeform get put on Cooper and co.'s ship?). This is one of those situations where we'll probably get a leaked screenplay isn't it?

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban

MoaM posted:

That sounds like a lot fun and it's pretty detailed, even with the gaping omission at the end (how does the ice lifeform get put on Cooper and co.'s ship?). This is one of those situations where we'll probably get a leaked screenplay isn't it?

There's no gap, as said in the summary they take a sample of it in order to keep it from extinction .

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

And then everyone finds out that the movie was funded by CCP, as all the ships that go through the wormholes are destroyed by merciless roving gangs of people playing EVE Online.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The only thing about the trailer that appealed to me was "Christopher Nolan" otherwise it looked completely uninteresting.

That synopsis of the 2008 script is bizarre and I'm not sure what to think of it.

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban

monster on a stick posted:

The only thing about the trailer that appealed to me was "Christopher Nolan" otherwise it looked completely uninteresting.

That synopsis of the 2008 script is bizarre and I'm not sure what to think of it.

Well to be fair it is a teaser.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ACoolT5 posted:

Well to be fair it is a teaser.

Everyone seems to want to pretend its a full blown trailer so they can keep complaining.

Let me ask this: Did it get you excited? Did it give you a sense of the prevailing themes of the movie? Do you have a general idea of what the movie is about after watching it?

Then the teaser did its job.

A teaser doesn't need to tell you exactly what the premise is. It just needs you to be interested.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

ViggyNash posted:

Let me ask this: Did it get you excited? Did it give you a sense of the prevailing themes of the movie? Do you have a general idea of what the movie is about after watching it?

Nope. It did none of that, because there was no actual content or context to it. So it fails as both a trailer and a teaser.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Honestly, it reminded me too much of Kirk's introduction in the J.J. Abrams' Star Trek.

Also, that shot of an Iowan family corn farm is so goddamn cliched and completely disassociated from real life of "hard working Americans". There's what, maybe 2 million people in this country earning a living off farm work? There's more Mexicans and other migrant workers from Latin American countries doing field work in the U.S. than American farmers. Honestly, that hokey appeal to sentimentality is something I'd expect from Michael Bay, not Christopher Nolan.

It's very obvious, unlike Inception, that they had none of the effects work finished and had to rely on already-shot footage of Matthew visiting his folks instead.

Cornfields are relevant because all aerospace/rocket testing takes place in low population/fielded areas and amateur rocketry etc. Not because farmers are rocket scientists.

Baikonur is a wasteland.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ViggyNash posted:

Everyone seems to want to pretend its a full blown trailer so they can keep complaining.

Then the teaser did its job.

A teaser doesn't need to tell you exactly what the premise is. It just needs you to be interested.

The point of this teaser was to create general awareness that Nolan and McConaughey are making a space movie together. That's it. 99.9% of the people who knew about Interstellar before the teaser hit are gigantic film nerds so the studio/marketing team needed something to let the rest of the 0.1% that make up people who aren't gigantic film nerds know what was up.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 26, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sylink posted:

Cornfields are relevant because all aerospace/rocket testing takes place in low population/fielded areas and amateur rocketry etc. Not because farmers are rocket scientists.

Baikonur is a wasteland.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, though; the advantages of launching even a little closer to the equator (even with any kind of foreseeable future rocket technology) are significant enough that the USA decided to put its space program in a swamp in Florida, instead of somewhere equally isolated but not suffering from regular alligators and hurricanes, like New Mexico or Nevada. The rockets-from-cornfields image is more of an ICBM thing, and that's only because the military can afford to waste fuel launching their WMDs and it's harder to hit a missile silo that's in the center of the country than one on the coast.

I'm sure this will all factor heavily into the film and they'll explain in great detail why they started launching from Iowa instead of Cape Canaveral or Vandenberg. :spergin:

bitterandtwisted posted:

It's been a long time since I had that stuck in my head.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 27, 2014

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line
I like the trailer cause the monologue has the dreamy, inner thought-life quality of Terrence Malick's work, and the thought of Malick doing a crazy space movie about humanity exploring the unknown while being an analogue to exploring a character's inner space sounds like a movie I want to see. I know it's a Nolan film, so it's going to be big and bombastic, and will probably fall apart if I think about it too much, but the teaser makes me dream.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
That plot sounds so bonkers I can't help but wish its true.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Young Freud posted:

To be fair, the Inception trailer didn't show of any of the computer generated shots from the final movie. The hallway fight and the tilting glass were all natural, and the rest were location shots. I'm guessing the percentage of cg shots in Interstellar will be much higher.

Also not reading that fuckin' leak.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Black Griffon posted:

Also not reading that fuckin' leak.

This X 100. gently caress y'all for makin this a spoilers thread. :argh: :arghfist::blush:

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I'm an idiot who convinced myself I would read just a little of the spoilered plot summary to assuage my (stupid, it's Nolan after all) fear that the movie wouldn't be interesting. Then I read the next spoiler'd paragraph (side note: ACoolT5, was this on purpose to let chumps like me keep going down the hole?) and the next, and the next, and so on until I read something I wished I hadn't. Somehow I was able to stop myself, but I'm now thoroughly hyped for the movie - even if there are changes to the 2008 script.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The teaser excited me but I'm already someone who's incredibly excited about space and space exploration. So I'm like the perfect person for this movie I hope.

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban

Dinosaurs! posted:

I'm an idiot who convinced myself I would read just a little of the spoilered plot summary to assuage my (stupid, it's Nolan after all) fear that the movie wouldn't be interesting. Then I read the next spoiler'd paragraph (side note: ACoolT5, was this on purpose to let chumps like me keep going down the hole?) and the next, and the next, and so on until I read something I wished I hadn't. Somehow I was able to stop myself, but I'm now thoroughly hyped for the movie - even if there are changes to the 2008 script.

LOL. I put it in chucks so that in case you wanted to stop you would have a legit way out. Oops...

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Oh yeah I was just kidding about you doing that maliciously. I'd rather it was broken into chunks than one tag for the whole summary where my wandering eyes would scan something like "McConaughey's death..." much further down.

It definitely helped me fall into "Okay that wasn't too bad at revealing anything. Just one more paragraph..." though. But like I said, that was my own fault for reading any of the black bars in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Details Arrive About The New Trailer For Christopher Nolan’s ‘Interstellar’; Will Debut With ‘Godzilla’ Next Week. Link has a synopsis of the trailer;

quote:

the trailer unspooled to show Matthew McConaughey driving his truck through corn fields while a lush orchestral score swelled in the background. Later, the fields had caught fire, an ominous dust cloud could be seen looming over a baseball game, and McConaughey (playing a character named Cooper) was reassuring his daughter that he loved her — right before being shot into space in order to save the world.

:shepspends:

• Locked thread