Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twoot
Oct 29, 2012

doubleposting because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

ACoolT5 posted:

I posted this on Reddit a while back, thought some of you might want the whole thing.

Plot summary of the 2008 script for those wondering. WARNING: POTENTIALLY VERY SPOILER INTENSIVE.

So it's Gunbuster without the giant robots?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
It sounds awesome but I really just want a Forever War adaptation.

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide
The more that comes out about the movie, the more I think that the script from 2008 wasn't altered very much.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kingtheninja posted:

It sounds awesome but I really just want a Forever War adaptation.

If there's ever a Forever War film you just know it's going to have Tom Cruise as the lead.

Though the whole "society hates the main character because he's not gay" part might have to be excised.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

twoot posted:

doubleposting because

It's nice to see Futura making a comeback, although I'd imagine it's probably because of it's connection with NASA and 2001.

computer parts posted:

If there's ever a Forever War film you just know it's going to have Tom Cruise as the lead.

Though the whole "society hates the main character because he's not gay" part might have to be excised.

I don't want to derail over this, but that "whole Earth is gay" part is kinda important in showing Mandala being out-of-touch old man with even basic tenets of future society. It's the equivalent of someone from early 1800s American South being brought into today and then being told to lead a predominately African-American military unit. I understand it probably won't fly today, so I might imagine that a film adaptation might make them intergendered genetically-engineered humans or introduce the concept of the Mann clones earlier.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Young Freud posted:

It's nice to see Futura making a comeback, although I'd imagine it's probably because of it's connection with NASA and 2001.

I get the opposite vibe from this - Futura and the other geometric fonts are on the way out again. Inception, The Dark Knight, Gravity etc all were marketed with fonts like Gotham and Franklin Gothic (or Futura). The serifs on "Interstellar" were actually the most surprising thing to me about the teaser - the Typeface Wheel has turned again and serifs are coming back in to style for sci fi. Maybe.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The natural lord and master of fonts, Comic Sans, shall once more reclaim the earth when the stars are in their right alignment.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

ACoolT5 posted:

I posted this on Reddit a while back, thought some of you might want the whole thing.

I'd like my time refunded for reading that garbage.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

TheBuilder posted:

Are you gonna say why you didn't like it or just poo poo-and-run?

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Vermain posted:

The natural lord and master of fonts, Comic Sans, shall once more reclaim the earth when the stars are in their right alignment.

As anyone who has ever needed to make a page quota for a school assignment can tell you, Courier is the king of fonts.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

TheBuilder posted:

Since this thread got bumped with the new poster I actually took the time to read the synopsis again. :shobon: I think it's gunna be good chief

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
thanks for posting this and the teaser...honestly i wouldn't have thought much of it except that it's got nolan attached.

despite the man of steel shenanigans, and the crazy plot summary previously posted earlier in the thread, i'll give this a shot. it's nolan. he's do so much more than many others.

i'll have to say though, gravity really set a new bar for space movies for me. it's going to be hard to live up to that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

ChickenMedium posted:

As anyone who has ever needed to make a page quota for a school assignment can tell you, Courier is the king of fonts.

One of my favorite things as an undergrad TA was mocking freshmen for trying to boost their report lengths by using Courier New, spacing hijinks, and giant TextArt titles.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

That description still sounds incredibly vague but that can all change once its released.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

all I want from this film is a big IMAX butt shot of Anne Hathaway

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Saw this trailer tonight and yeah it's still pretty vague. Most of the trailer is still on earth too.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWdZVtXT7E

here...

we...

GO!

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Pretty good trailer. They're still being vague as hell about the movie, and I admire that.

However I think that trailer may give away a plot point. Chastain is his daughter grown up?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

OK, this trailer got me interested. :suspense:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Arkane posted:

However I think that trailer may give away a plot point. Chastain is his daughter grown up?

Yeah that was my first thought as well.

Still, the movie looks like it will be amazing.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Watching the trailer before Godzilla made me hungry.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
The fact that the trailer used part of the V for Vendetta soundtrack is a massive plus to me for some reason. Goddamn that was a brilliant score.

Also, whether it's good or mediocre it's going to be getting the 'we need to leave Earth to survive' idea out there to millions of people, which is awesome.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

why did i read the comments

I'm still excited for this movie, but not really that much more than I was when I saw the first teaser. Also I can't see Caine as anyone except Alfred.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Arkane posted:

Pretty good trailer. They're still being vague as hell about the movie, and I admire that.

Oh I just realized that its going to deal with time dilation so yeah.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That's a pretty great trailer. Really love the effects of the wormhole? warp field? Whatever it is, it looks awesome.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
So I really want to see this movie, and stuff.

That trailer was cool.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

El Grillo posted:

The fact that the trailer used part of the V for Vendetta soundtrack is a massive plus to me for some reason. Goddamn that was a brilliant score.

Also, whether it's good or mediocre it's going to be getting the 'we need to leave Earth to survive' idea out there to millions of people, which is awesome.
I loved the music in the trailer, do you know specifically which track from the V for Vendetta score it used?

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

I loved the music in the trailer, do you know specifically which track from the V for Vendetta score it used?

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjgTFd6XAg8

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fantastic, thanks! :cheers:

Makes me want to rewatch V for Vendetta, I can't remember anything from the soundtrack and it's been several years since I watched it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Xenomrph posted:

Makes me want to rewatch V for Vendetta, I can't remember anything from the soundtrack and it's been several years since I watched it.

That music is really well used in the trailer; almost better than in V4V itself.

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide

ACoolT5 posted:

The more that comes out about the movie, the more I think that the script from 2008 wasn't altered very much.

One change. Looks like Murph is now a girl.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

That's a pretty great trailer. Really love the effects of the wormhole? warp field? Whatever it is, it looks awesome.

Yeah that was pretty fantastic. If you like that and you have a half-way decent computer you should check out Space Engine, incredible procedural universe simulator, with great effects like that. It's terrifying in that programme just being able to move around and towards a black hole and see the effect getting bigger and bigger (not to mention being able to experience the scale of galaxies, systems etc.)...

Xenomrph posted:

Same. This is another great one from that soundtrack by the way, just a really beautiful build-up, mostly from 2:07 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjzQpxLPop0

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

It's some kind of warp bubble from what they show in the trailer. Apparently Nolan talked with the NASA people who are currently researching how to warp space without having to travel large distances or put massive strain on the crew, which would avoid some time dilation I guess. I'm not a physicist so I can't entirely explain it.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

It's probably something along these lines. It's "real" in the sense that it's a valid solution for Einstein's equations of gravity (spacetime).

Basically it's a bubble - a locally flat (gravity-less) region of space surrounded by a severely compressed spacetime in front and a dilated spacetime in back. Making something like that probably isn't physically possible - it requires several other laws of physics to break or bend really really far.

Inside this bubble you'd actually experience no time dilation like in special relativity, because inside, you're not moving at close to light speed. So if the crew in the movie hops in a bubble and experience 5 subjective years inside (regardless of how fast they're traveling), 5 years have also passed on Earth. This sort of FTL also implies backwards time travel, but I'm not sure if they're going for that.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Basically it's a bubble - a locally flat (gravity-less) region of space surrounded by a severely compressed spacetime in front and a dilated spacetime in back. Making something like that probably isn't physically possible - it requires several othr laws of physics to break or bend really really far.
Are we gonna need eyes where we are going?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Slugworth posted:

Are we gonna need eyes where we are going?
:golfclap:

I really do wish that movie got a sequel of some kind.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

:golfclap:

I really do wish that movie got a sequel of some kind.

How would you do a sequel to Event Horizon? I thought the ending was perfectly ambiguous.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

WarLocke posted:

How would you do a sequel to Event Horizon? I thought the ending was perfectly ambiguous.

I really wanted to like Event Horizon, but all I took away from it was this classic gem of 90s stereotyping. The rest of the movie is a total blur.

Also, Sam Neil is a boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

second-hand smegma posted:

I really wanted to like Event Horizon, but all I took away from it was this classic gem of 90s stereotyping. The rest of the movie is a total blur.

Haha I had forgotten about that scene. :stonk:

quote:

Also, Sam Neil is a boss.

He's like 50% of why the movie is so awesome.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTr5CjpSp-g

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 18, 2014

• Locked thread