Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
A taste of the fun that happened tonight:

The Cold War went hot.

Well, it went mildly lukewarm. Nothing much happened after that other than the Americans sinking one of my aircraft carriers that was off the coast of Panama for some reason. War devolved into a staring contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Patter Song posted:

A taste of the fun that happened tonight:

The Cold War went hot.

Well, it went mildly lukewarm. Nothing much happened after that other than the Americans sinking one of my aircraft carriers that was off the coast of Panama for some reason. War devolved into a staring contest.

Why the hell is West Berlin a separate tag from West Germany? I know it was in kind of a murky legal situation, but it's like one province. Are Lichtenstein and Andorra in the game as well?

Holy poo poo, Paradox should've canned this thing last year. Why do 90% of battles end in retreat? Why is the UN so loving broken? Why does the NATO Secretary General become leader of the free world? What the hell happened with the prestige system?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Patter Song posted:

So, I've been exploring some game mechanics with the guys on Skype tonight, and I think I finally figured out how East vs West determines your prestige.

Tell me if you notice the pattern here. Countries are ranked from most to least prestigious.

Obviously the table is broken and gives the reactionary-revisionist scum of Afghanistan a far higher rank that they should have.

Other than that the eternal superiority of Hoxhaism is once again proven and all is as it should be.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kavak posted:

Why the hell is West Berlin a separate tag from West Germany? I know it was in kind of a murky legal situation, but it's like one province.

But don't you know, the principle of pretty borders makes enclaves impossible!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The people have decided, and we will be keeping Iran...for as long as we can keep it.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

If the rebels are as docile as the Iranian Army everything should be fine.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Alikchi posted:

If the rebels are as docile as the Iranian Army everything should be fine.

Ahahahahahaha

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Patter Song posted:

Ahahahahahaha

So are they as docile? Looks like their main advantage is numbers.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Patter Song posted:

Ahahahahahaha

Stability in the Middle East, at long last.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Kavak posted:

So are they as docile? Looks like their main advantage is numbers.

That line through Iraq proper is a bunch of Kurdish nationalists going on an IS-style campaign. So no, they aren't.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rogue0071 posted:

That line through Iraq proper is a bunch of Kurdish nationalists going on an IS-style campaign. So no, they aren't.

So the AI is capable of acting aggressively without being cornered, but only when it's generic rebels (Who really should be phased out and replaced with rebels related to specific tags in Hearts of Iron IV).

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

So the AI is capable of acting aggressively without being cornered, but only when it's generic rebels (Who really should be phased out and replaced with rebels related to specific tags in Hearts of Iron IV).

Probably rebels run on the default rebel movement AI which is dumb as bricks but separate from the military AI.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 15, 2014

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Update...sometime this week, no promises that it'll be tomorrow because when I do that it's like a week later.

It might be the last update, for reasons that should be clear. At a certain point in EvW, you are unable to buy supplies or fuel (even though I'm the biggest oil exporter in the world, for some reason the AI keeps selling all my stuff abroad. Then your armies stop moving. Then the rebels start occupying everything, just ignoring your stationary armies. Then your economy goes to hell. This cycle hit me a bit early this campaign. Iraq is #272 in a world with fewer than 180 countries.

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
Too bad EvW is so undeveloped. I would really like to be able to play all the way from the Old Gods start in CK2 up to the modern era and beyond, with a nice save-transfer system. Or if someone added a -509 -> Old Gods game ... I mean it's nice how all these games and eras have their own playstyle and if there would be a good and easy way to mod saves from one game to the next that'd really make Paradox strategy games something special (in the non short-bus sense of the word).

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Then we'd need a Paradox game for the future. Corporate Kings?

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

Anticheese posted:

Then we'd need a Paradox game for the future. Corporate Kings?

The trouble with Paradox games is that they tend to be focussed on military expansion to a greater or lesser degree, and I *hope* that the era of military expansion and border changes from conquest is essentially over... I really hope!

What could be a really interesting game though is a Paradox-style take on a future where your represent a 'power' and aim to bring together other countries into first regional, and then potentially global power blocks through diplomacy intrigue and economic coercion - something akin to the game Wiz is playing here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648534

I can see you playing as either a regional institution - i.e. the European Union, Union of South American states, African Union, etc. or possibly a strong single country (Russia, China, the USA). Decisions would be something like:
* Scotland is pushing for independence from the United Kingdom. The question of EU membership if the state becomes independent has recently become a political issue in the campaign; what policy should we support:
They will instantly become full EU members:
++ Government EU support in Scotland,
+ Popular EU support in Scotland,
- Government EU support in UK
++ Independence desire in Scotland
+ Independence desire in Catalonia, the Basque Country, [Galicia? etc.]
-- Government EU support in Spain
They will receive accelerated EU entry:
+ Government EU support in Scotland,
- Government EU support in Spain
Entry will be a long process:
-- Government EU support in Scotland,
- Popular EU support in Scotland,
+ Government EU support in UK
-- Independence desire in Scotland
- Independence desire in Catalonia, the Basque Country, [Galicia? etc.]
++ Government EU support in Spain

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
ManipulEUtion - the Game. I could see that working. Scheme to unite the unwilling countries in a Federal State, or try to escape the fledgeling union and go for real independence, pledge yourself as the 51st state, etc..

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I apparently have a very loose definition of "within the week." Tonight, though.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Iraq Chapter III: Downfall. November 1980-March 1981

The Revelation of John, Chapter 18, verses 1-3 NIV posted:

After this I saw another angel coming down from heaven. He had great authority, and the earth was illuminated by his splendor. With a mighty voice he shouted:

“‘Fallen! Fallen is Babylon the Great!’
She has become a dwelling for demons
and a haunt for every impure spirit,
a haunt for every unclean bird,
a haunt for every unclean and detestable animal.
For all the nations have drunk
the maddening wine of her adulteries.
The kings of the earth committed adultery with her,
and the merchants of the earth grew rich from her excessive luxuries.”

If the player overreaches, the game will punish him. -Carlos "Ubik" Gustavo

Saddam Hussein: warmongering mad dog of the Middle East or stalwart foe of Islamist theocracy? Either way, as his reign meets a terrible fate in Iraq, we're here to discuss what brought him to this point. On the show today I have His Imperial Highness Prince Reza Pahlavi, son of the Shah deposed by the Khoemeini regime two years ago, who sees an opportunity to reclaim his homeland in the turmoil following Saddam's invasion. Your Highness?

Saddam's downfall started after he finished conquering our motherland. Saddam thought that the time was right to institute a crackdown and purge the senior officer corps of his military, thinking that the threat from the Persian people had ended. Unfortunately for him, while the followers of mad geriatric clerics in Qom had been smashed, the resolve of the Persian people proved stronger than ever in the face of foreign occupation.

But your Highness, did not this purge yield benefits to the Iraqi military?

It left the Iraqi army disorganized and demoralized, as pathetic a force as the last remnants of the Israeli army hiding atop the Golan Heights.

While the Iraqi army managed to wade through the blood of our people at first, they soon ran out of supplies and fuel and their forces gradually ceased to move. Then the freedom fighters truly launched their offensive.

Your Highness, any thoughts on the recent embargo of the Netherlands?

As everyone knows, Dutch militarism is one of the greatest threats to world security, but we should continue talking about Iran.

I notice rebel incursions into Iraq proper, your Highness. What do you say to the Kurdish militias who have taken this opportunity to not only seize Iraqi and Iranian Kurdistan, but much else besides?

The Kurdish rebels are our faithful allies and we hope their dreams of a state free from the tyranny of Baghdad are realized...but not within the borders of the Iranian state.

We take heart in the disorganization of Saddam's forces and hope to someday soon return home to our native land.

Will you take your father's throne?

Obviously that is up to the Iranian people.

Thank you for your time. Next up, a discussion of the recent reversal in South Africa.

Cuban intervention has pushed the South Africans out of Mozambique and on the defensive on their own turf, but will it be enough? Stay tuned.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So Israel, one of the few places in the Cold War that was the site of recurring battles, is represented by all of 12 provinces in EvW?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There are those elections again, those things that never actually happened. Also Brazil is the world's 4th-largest economy, nice?

Can we see some of the economic side of the game? And do you know why the world runs out of supplies?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Purges: the easy way to improve your military!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Tevery Best posted:

Purges: the easy way to improve your military!

Has a purge ever historically improved an army?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Ratoslov posted:

Hard to answer this question, because the goal of a successful purge is that the army doesn't revolt: the inevitable loss in organisation and morale is a trade-off. The army isn't improved so much as the authority of the government is. Purges have certainly failed to prevent military coups in the past though.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Obliterati posted:

Hard to answer this question, because the goal of a successful purge is that the army doesn't revolt: the inevitable loss in organisation and morale is a trade-off. The army isn't improved so much as the authority of the government is. Purges have certainly failed to prevent military coups in the past though.

Except this purge was apparently directed to improve the army's performance. Is kicking out your worst generals and other dead weight actually a "purge", and does that actually work? Is it even a thing?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Kavak posted:

Except this purge was apparently directed to improve the army's performance. Is kicking out your worst generals and other dead weight actually a "purge", and does that actually work? Is it even a thing?

Yeah, that is a weird upshot that I can't really explain. 'Purge' usually refers to more political motives than operational ones though: when I read 'Iraqi miltary purge' I assume that non-Ba'athists, etc. were removed regardless of their competence, and the popup sounds like it's talking about the same thing. Maybe the bonuses reflect a more loyal and reliable army than simply a more competent one, but in that case it's more of a reorganisation unless the generals put up a fight on their own, I guess.

Discharging troops 'honourably' varies by nation and regiment, but for the rank and file it'd probably be a generous redundancy package and assuming the malcontents avail themselves of it: the British Army are reducing their manpower right now and that's how they're handling it. It's be even more important in this Iraq to ensure that disgruntled demobilsed men don't end up absconding with equipment or joining various rebel factions. Generals you transfer to paperwork until they get the message.

e: I just realised the popup makes the same distinction of political/operational. So I guess people aren't being arrested or anything, rather quietly pushed to the door.

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 25, 2014

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kavak posted:

There are those elections again, those things that never actually happened. Also Brazil is the world's 4th-largest economy, nice?

Can we see some of the economic side of the game? And do you know why the world runs out of supplies?

Sure, when I get home I'll screenshot some economic affairs. The upshot is East vs West attempted to integrate a dumbed-down version of Victoria II's factories just like they have a dumbed-down version of pops (they're ethnic percentages only and only the largest in any province counts). EvW's factories can only be interacted with by funding maintenance to prevent existing factories from crumbling and investment to encourage the AI to build new ones. Eventually they'll all go broke and you'll go bankrupt and the supply factories will produce about 2% of the supplies your oversized army needs every day.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Patter Song posted:

Sure, when I get home I'll screenshot some economic affairs. The upshot is East vs West attempted to integrate a dumbed-down version of Victoria II's factories just like they have a dumbed-down version of pops (they're ethnic percentages only and only the largest in any province counts). EvW's factories can only be interacted with by funding maintenance to prevent existing factories from crumbling and investment to encourage the AI to build new ones. Eventually they'll all go broke and you'll go bankrupt and the supply factories will produce about 2% of the supplies your oversized army needs every day.

Wait, even in a planned economy?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I knew EvW was pretty bad from its utter failure to model the Cold War, have an AI that does anything, nonsensical diplomacy, alphabetical prestige scores, etc.,-- but I had no idea that you were locked into trusting a V2-style Laissez Faire party to run your economy for the entire game! Frightful.

Anyway, I'm glad somebody somewhere has finally put those warmongering Dutch in their place.

Hey, wait a second...

Does "initiated by Netherlands" mean that they were voting to sanction themselves? Or it it something more sensible than that phrased in some sort of incredibly obtuse way.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Rincewind posted:

Does "initiated by Netherlands" mean that they were voting to sanction themselves? Or it it something more sensible than that phrased in some sort of incredibly obtuse way.

Nope, the initiator always places the embargo on themselves, and then votes against it. :v:

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
As for purges that worked:

One can make a claim about a Chinese purge, that removed the naval faction in order to focus on Northern Barbarians, kind of worked.
I also think to remember that Aleksandr Nevski did some purging of his own in Novgorod (purging his brother Andrej among others). Perhaps the Purging of the Strelki by Peter the Great?

I would argue that Interwar Iran should have purged, but didnt which resulted in the partition between UK and Soviet zones. The army top brass basically completely effing betrayed the Shah.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ratoslov posted:

Depending on your definition of a purge: the Long Parliament purged the army of all officers that also held a political post and replaced them with military professionals during the English civil war. This improved the army by putting people who actually wanted to win the war in charge of the army.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think this thread has run its course. I'll submit the V2 LP and the EvW updates to Baldurk for archiving.

Prepare to see a new V2 thread from me sometime in the future...I've been hankering to get back to that and I had a lot of fun with Bavaria. I'm not sold on Persia 1861, though. Sometime next week (next week by my definition could be in October, I guess) I'll put up an OP with possible scenarios. Feel free to use the end of this thread to say your goodbyes and come up with cool scenarios I can vote on in the next thread.

Rules: I'll still be using V2 unmodded, because the point of this thread is to show that game off that way. Maybe I'll do bonus updates with ridiculous mods, but no promises.

I want to do 1861, an unciv, or both 1861 and an unciv, but I'm willing to consider an 1836 civ if it's an off-the-wall choice (the better-than-normal performance of Bolivia in the Bavaria LP has me intrigued to try them, for example). Because Bavaria was a landlocked European major, let's either be a maritime European colonial power (Belgium, Spain, Portugal, something that won't get dragged down in continental politics) or something outside of the old continent.

This is not the vote, this is "suggest cool scenarios for the eventual vote in the next thread." I'll take six choices. Because Zulu 1836 was the runner-up in this thread's vote, Zulu's automatically one of the six.

I'll close this thread on Monday. It's been a pleasure, guys.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 1, 2014

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I suggest: insta-dominioned Australia, 100 years of trying to escape the British hegemony! Plus, I've never actually seen an LP of that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It's been a pleasure, guy.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
You know you should play your favorite country: Johor.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Have you considered playing the elegant dragon-kingdom of Bhutan?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Greater Haitian Empire is destined to rule the Caribbean!

Also, the LP has been a lot of fun. Thanks for the great thread.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

NewMars posted:

I suggest: insta-dominioned Australia, 100 years of trying to escape the British hegemony! Plus, I've never actually seen an LP of that.

If you wanted me to break the game in half, we could do that proposal, yes.

South Africa would be even more doable and be absolutely horrifying. Proposed thread title "Apartheid from Cape Town to Cairo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
You know what, I want to see that happen. Wow me.

Edit: also, I may be a little biased due to being australian.

• Locked thread