Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

I like Mike O'Brien for that "Bugs: Where the Heck Do You Gotta Be?" bit with Josh Hutcherson. I suppose he could go back to being a writer if they drop him as a player.
I'm never really impressed by Noel's impressions, but she's fine other than that. Which is funny, because I think her impressions were supposed to be one of her selling points.
Kyle's shorts are hit or miss with me. The class president one was one of my favorites, but that "Flirty" one just didn't do anything for me.
Beck's definitely the MVP out of the newcomers. He can play straight man or ridiculous perfectly.

Edit: Louis CK's romantic speech skit is definitely one of my favorite bits of the season.

I agree with everything in this post. Especially Bug Interview and romantic speech being hilarious. "You make me want to be a better mang"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Candiru posted:

Vulture did a top-ten sketches of the season thing, and I was pretty surprised at a few of their inclusions and exclusions.

No mention of Hutcherson's "Josie" sketch, Rogen's dog food sketch, or the fact that the first half of the season was mostly bad in spite of the cast and guest talent.

It's very telling that 75% of these sketches are pre-taped (and two of the three non-pretaped ones were from the Louis CK show, which more and more seems like an outlier). The guys they hired to replace Lonely Island are good, even if they probably won't ever have a hit go as viral as TLI's best, but they need to cleanse that writers room with fire. Keep everyone involved in writing Black Jeopardy and Romantic Speech, toss everyone else out on their rear end, including (especially) Colin Jost. Then toss Milheiser (because I can't remember a drat thing he did), Wells (because every single one of her impressions made me cringe. Seriously, how the gently caress do you do a bad Nancy Grace impression?) and unfortunately probably Brooks Whelan, though I like the guy a lot and hopefully he'd go on to have a career like Casey Wilson or Jenny Slate. I think Nasim is probably out because of her new show, and I wouldn't be surprised if we lose Taran soon to Hollywood and his family, so there should be some replacements coming through the works.

And if I were head writer, I'd make drat sure that Aidy Bryant and Kate McKinnon had a sketch together each week, because those two are gold together.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Edit: Louis CK's romantic speech skit is definitely one of my favorite bits of the season.

It made me want to be a better mang

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Lol, Zamata-san's Michelle Obama impression was an impression of Barack Obama. What talent. Hired in specifically because she's a black woman. She's awesome? She was literally Black Woman #1 in everything and made nothing her own. Kerry Washington, a host, was so much better. Too bad they can't get her. But you know, in retrospect, I guess Zamada, given the way she was hired in (because blogs put pressure on SNL to diversify, lmao) I guess she deserves another year to do something and prove herself.

*SNL literally hires 6 identical white men in the same year to be the point that the show's own writers made fun of it*

"This black woman... I could do without her. Please replace her with identical white man #7"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The black lady is the only new person who should return. Maybe the guy who does the weirder digital shorts just for a little variety.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Kate McKinnon is the funny version of Kristen Wiig. I like her a lot. I didn't think her Bieber impression was as mindblowingly hilarious as a lot of people did, though. Am I missing something or is it just "lol Bieber"?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I think what makes her Beiber impression so funny is that she manages to look so much like him.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

It's the body movements that do it for me. It's not like she does a great voice impression, but the way she moves like a total douchebag cracks me up.

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.

The Duke posted:

the way she moves like a total douchebag cracks me up.

This. I think the less talking, more moving works very well for that impression.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I must be the only person who doesn't enjoy Aidy at all. She over-reads her lines so every single joke has no chance to be good.

She's where jokes go to die.

Everything she says is in a faux-sarcastic tone.

At least she has a tone. Seth Meyer's younger brother sitting at the WU desk is so bland he's almost see-through and nothing he says is funny. Hope they find someone else for next season.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Binary Logic posted:

At least she has a tone. Seth Meyer's younger brother sitting at the WU desk is so bland he's almost see-through and nothing he says is funny. Hope they find someone else for next season.

Let Brooks Wheelan take over. He gives me Norm MacDonald vibes.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Let Brooks Wheelan take over. He gives me Norm MacDonald vibes.

That's funny because Colin apparently is trying to be like Norm MacDonald according to his wikipedia article.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Binary Logic posted:

I'm not a Colin fan, but I really just can't stand it when Aidy says anything. Nails on a chalkboard.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Brooks Wheelan is the first casualty... http://www.vulture.com/2014/07/brooks-wheelan-fired-snl.html

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Please let Kyle Mooney be next. Please.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

If by Kyle Mooney you mean Colin Jost, agreed!

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

The Duke posted:

If by Kyle Mooney you mean Colin Jost, agreed!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Mooney isn't going anywhere because he's turning in good film work with Beck Bennett.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, Kyle Mooney isn't the problem with SNL. There are a lot of problems. Good Neighbours isn't one (or two?) of them.

EDIT: One of the reasons I will always love Kyle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lItkr3MR1I4

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Also gone are:

Noël Wells
John Milhiser

Nasim Pedrad

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/saturday-night-live-loses-three-more-cast-members-1201262895/

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Hockles posted:

Also gone are:

Noël Wells
Yeah, she botched her one shot at a starring role. That Nancy Grace was bad, and her other impressions weren't great.

quote:

John Milhiser
When your most notable role is "played John Cryer", you're doomed.

quote:

Nasim Pedrad
Good luck with Mulaney! :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gonna miss Nasim. I thought she was mostly great.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Nasim was great, but over the last two years, she hardly got any screen time at all. Aside from debuting one or two awkward characters that she probably came up with herself (Heshi, Shallon), it seemed like she was absent from entire episodes, and even Noel got more screen time than her.

I'm a huge John Mulaney fan, so I wish Mulaney and Nasim the best of luck with their sitcom, even though I can't stand Martin Short and hope he doesn't make the whole thing unwatchable with his mugging.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have to disagree with you regarding Aidy. I think she's horribly unfunny, and her delivery is terrible. She always oversells whatever she's saying.
I think she is well aware of this and hams it up for comedy's sake. SNL isn't some great drama and the sketches often aren't that funny by them self. Keenan Thompson does the same thing and I think the show is funnier for it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm a huge John Mulaney fan, so I wish Mulaney and Nasim the best of luck with their sitcom, even though I can't stand Martin Short and hope he doesn't make the whole thing unwatchable with his mugging.

If I were working on that show, I'd lock Short in a room with a few seasons of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" with a note that said "watch how Danny DeVito handled being put into a series with a younger cast who had fresh ideas".

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Don Pardo, dead at 96. :(

I mean, I knew this day had to come, but still. Don Pardo's voice is a part of the soundtrack to my dumb life. I haven't felt like this since the day Farley died.

Peace, Don.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
He better have had an understudy who can properly announce the HMYOOOOOOOOSICAL GUEST!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

So does Darrell Hammond get the job full-time now, or do they go in a completely new direction?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Beautiful eulogy of Don Pardo from last night's NBC Nightly News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CXWYIGPUPQ

Sadly the final touching shot of Don's mic is cut from this rip. It's somewhere on the NBC News site, I'm sure.

ShakeZula posted:

So does Darrell Hammond get the job full-time now, or do they go in a completely new direction?
I doubt it; it's one thing to bust out your Pardo impression when filling in for him, but it would be distasteful to do so postmortem. Unfortunately, the age of the announcer seems to have passed. But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong. Just not another "generic" announcer like on the Seth Meyers Spectacular, Jimmy Kimmel, and the Jay Leno Show/Jay Leno Tonight Show 2.0.

Perhaps... just maybe, and I don't want to jinx it, but Joel Godard is NBC's staff announcer, and is a great legacy voice. That'd be nice. I miss Joel. It's been over 5 years since Conan's Late Night ended, so he could do another late night show now.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

pwn posted:

Perhaps... just maybe, and I don't want to jinx it, but Joel Godard is NBC's staff announcer, and is a great legacy voice. That'd be nice. I miss Joel. It's been over 5 years since Conan's Late Night ended, so he could do another late night show now.
That would be amazing, but only if they do bits continuing his character from Late Night where he's a depraved pervert with a taste for twink male asian prostitutes.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

pwn posted:

Unfortunately, the age of the announcer seems to have passed. But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong. Just not another "generic" announcer like on the Seth Meyers Spectacular, Jimmy Kimmel, and the Jay Leno Show/Jay Leno Tonight Show 2.0.

Steve Higgins is the announcer for the current incarnation of The Tonight Show and is the producer of Saturday Night Live (and former head writer). He would make for a logical choice too.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

pwn posted:

He seems just as old as Pardo.

Have there been any more reports on cast changes? Or when the new season would start?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Currently we're looking at September 27th, with MYHUUUUUSICAL GUEST Ariana Grande and Iggy Azalea.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Mo0 posted:

MYHUUUUUSICAL GUEST

Pardo... :gonk:

No cast additions so far, just a couple of writers and no announcement of a host yet.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mo0 posted:

Currently we're looking at September 27th, with MYHUUUUUSICAL GUEST Ariana Grande and Iggy Azalea.

Sept 27: Chris Pratt/Ariana Grande
Oct 4: Sarah Silverman/Maroon 5

(Via Vulture)

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

DaveWoo posted:

Sept 27: Chris Pratt
Oct 4: Sarah Silverman

:neckbeard: Gonna be awesome

Has Silverman done any sketch since Mr Show?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

That's gotta feel pretty cool for Sarah after getting fired from SNL in her first season to have such an awesome career anyway she comes back and hosts. Has there ever been a host that was fired before?

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Pryor on Fire posted:

That's gotta feel pretty cool for Sarah after getting fired from SNL in her first season to have such an awesome career anyway she comes back and hosts. Has there ever been a host that was fired before?
Norm MacDonald is the obvious one.

Also, rumors are circulating that Bill Murray is hosting the third episode of the season.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Doctor Candiru posted:

Norm MacDonald is the obvious one.

Also, rumors are circulating that Bill Murray is hosting the third episode of the season.

Oh WOW, I'll be shocked if this pans out but if it does it'll be an event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm hearing now that Bill Murray has decided not to host but endorses Sarah Silverman hosting.

• Locked thread