Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Awesome, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I would recommend first person with minimal mods. Maybe some extra clothing and weapons. No trader and no crazy base building mods.

My reasoning is that traders ruin the flow of the game (people moving around the map looting and interacting (fighting/talking whatever). If you aren't into base building I would avoid servers catering to them as they tank the performance and closing off bits of the map that are fun to visit.

That all being said if you are playing in a large group with a base that type of server can be really fun just not if you are just with you and a buddy.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm having a bit of fun with livonia. You actually run into people on it.

https://i.imgur.com/8Mi1Ik0.mp4
This guy I just happened to scope on that door. I think god told me to do it. I unscope in disbelief briefly wondering if they made zombies able to open doors because the last time I saw a guy in dayz was like 2015.

https://i.imgur.com/AumEoWq.mp4
This unlucky bastard showed up in my scopes while I was checking road signs. You can see I'm being a bit more cautious now after running into players... this isnt chernarus...

Last time I played I don't think hunting was in. Now you can harvest chicken and cows in villages along with water and it's not too hard to survive again. If you log in and look for canned food only though like the old days, you're gonna have a bad time.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 1, 2020

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
So uh game with mods is good

we’ve come full circle boys

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
This is a great video and you should watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_ZO_Ffa11E

Also I miss shooting mans. Ah. What a time it was.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I've been playing Livonia on an official server and having a pretty good time. I've only seen maybe a quarter of the map but it's pretty neat!
I don't think I've had any issues with bugs or lag in the probably 20+ hours I've put in over the last week. Keep thinking of finding a modded server, but haven't yet.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The map "namalsk" from the mod is coming soon. Look out for it. Only a few weeks away apparently.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Livonia and Deer isle have been fun lately.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

Nice piece of fish posted:

This is a great video and you should watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_ZO_Ffa11E

Also I miss shooting mans. Ah. What a time it was.

Hit me up on steam mate. I'll fire up my server just for shits and giggles.

Jippa posted:

The map "namalsk" from the mod is coming soon. Look out for it. Only a few weeks away apparently.

Does it come with bloodsuckers? If not, I'm not interested.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Post that server info if you do, I got at least two other goons playing with me on official right now.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I know it's in the OP, but this was the epitome of goon DayZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xodNfnIHcVA

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Still makes me laugh.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
are goons playing this now? It looks... ok

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I killed a few zombies, freezing my rear end off wearing some booty shorts and wellies. Got kicked from one server after like 2 minutes, and didnt see a single soul after about 20 minutes. Had no idea where I was.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I've been playing a bunch. The changes to the temperature mechanics definitely take some adapting to; warm clothing is pretty drat important now, especially when its rainy and/or windy. Food will rot now, too. Building fires is now frequently a necessity. Gone are the days of just having permanent heatpacks in your pants by hauling invincible cooked meats.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I saw they just added in broken legs again. Hurray!

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Namalsk is out and it's brutal. Frostbite mechanics, food freezes, etc. This is the end of a long session yesterday in which I teamed up with some random guy at the spawn beach and we pal'd it all the way down to the South. After he died and I heard wolves I started recording. I got one of the blowout events on tape a little while after the wolves and warming myself. It gets creepy as hell before it happens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBgqwq8u3ug

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Looks/sounds cool. What is the “blowout” event supposed to be?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Something to do with a wormhole or something? Folks are still kind of piecing theories together. I've seen a few pictures of a stalker style anomaly that I assume either precedes or exists after the event occurs. There's also at least one big underground bunker on the map and apparently it has the half life G Man in it someplace, I assume there's an actual explanation but I havent seen it yet.

Apparently if you jump into it it teleports you to one of a number of locations, from what I've heard.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 10, 2020

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Just head for a building when it comes.

I'm really enjoying the map. Definitely worth a reinstall for anyone still reading the thread.

Namalsk is so much fun.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Yeah I was real thankful there was a shed nearby, I was at like no health from those wolves and didn't expect to survive because there was no door.

Its a very neat map. Also been enjoying Livonia and the winter version of Chernarus. I havent tried Deer Isle yet.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
game's in a good state. it's easy to find full servers for any style of play you want

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I am dying lots on namalsk but having loads of fun.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

The Fear posted:

game's in a good state. it's easy to find full servers for any style of play you want

Except driving a car. Cars are still death traps.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Same as it ever was.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I used to be dismissive of the more survival type elements of the game. I actually now really enjoy that clothing and warmth are something you have to think about.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Yeah the tweaks to the warmth system have really added a lot and make the environment more of an adversary. More than a few times since that last patch, I've risked murder to join someone at a fireplace or the other way around and it's led to some neat interactions. Helps that cooked meat is no longer an infinite heatpack.
Been playing on Dayone's winter cherno server some and it's pretty neat. My only gripe is that hunted animals no longer bleed out, this was apparently removed at some point. If deer bled out and left a blood trail that'd be very cool, especially in the snow.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Gooch181 posted:

If deer bled out and left a blood trail that'd be very cool, especially in the snow.

This has always been the reason I avoid hunting, if you don't one tap it you might as well be kissing it goodbye

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Is it actually worth spending money on the DLC map?

Like I haven't played this since 2017 or so, and really not since the stand alone first came out. I loaded it back up last night and had fun just putzing around charnus like I used to.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Crain posted:

Is it actually worth spending money on the DLC map?

Like I haven't played this since 2017 or so, and really not since the stand alone first came out. I loaded it back up last night and had fun just putzing around charnus like I used to.

Not really. Chernarus is the best map. Also the latest map "namalsk" is free (but made by a dayz dev so it's top quality).

Download "dayzsalauncher" (free) for the easiest and best way to manage maps/mods.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I've been getting into Nezar's streams, and I've been captivated by the social interactions in this game. Are there any other streams or videos that capture this?

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr1n4yELblA

i miss these days...

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Hmmm, on Steam Charts the player counts have been exceeding those of previous years...

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Like others in the thread have mentioned, its pretty good now.

I was running around Namalsk with a friend the other day and it felt like late-mod version of Dayz. Tons of military gear, lots of loot spawns, custom bases, vehicles etc.

With the engine upgrade and some mod flair, looking out over Chernarus with some weather coming in is pretty cool.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Head Bee Guy posted:

I've been getting into Nezar's streams, and I've been captivated by the social interactions in this game. Are there any other streams or videos that capture this?

Smoke is currently alternating between dayz and tarkov, hes one of the largest dayz streamers right now. His dayz hijinx are always first class.

Bomb_phonkey is another pretty funny dayz streamer to watch.

Anyone with "dayone" in their stream title is probably worth a watch. It's a pvp server but interaction is very encouraged from what I've seen.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I poisoned that dude so many times and he kept trying to find us again...

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve
well, well. how them turntables. have you seen the current peak of players online?
https://steamcharts.com/app/221100#All
the phoenix have risen from ashes. do we have goon squad ready to freeze their rear end off on namalsk? can't eat all them wolf steaks by myself.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Yeah is there a goon discord for this? besides overchill and marvelous pro elite

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Head Bee Guy posted:

Yeah is there a goon discord for this? besides overchill and marvelous pro elite

Oh god what a question. Yeah I guess.

https://discord.gg/hytEk3mT

Have no idea how many people play, I'm retired myself. Or just tired. Forget which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Head Bee Guy posted:

The community has been more or less dead since 2015ish. We had a weekend reunion a year or two back, we’re probably due again since surprisingly, the game is not bad anymore and there are pretty decent mods that are about as good as the mods from

*checks notes*

ten years ago