Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Oh god what a question. Yeah I guess.

https://discord.gg/hytEk3mT

Have no idea how many people play, I'm retired myself. Or just tired. Forget which.

:/ dead link. got a fresh one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I tried to play the game (vanilla), I guess it runs smoothly enough and it looks pretty enough, running around chernarus still evokes memories and feelings of familiarity.

However, I have no idea how to deal with the zombies, I guess just keep running? either way I couldn't find anything interesting and wound up vomiting and dying 20 minutes in or so.

Are there any modded servers where guns are more common and other players can be found?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I tried to play the game (vanilla), I guess it runs smoothly enough and it looks pretty enough, running around chernarus still evokes memories and feelings of familiarity.

However, I have no idea how to deal with the zombies, I guess just keep running? either way I couldn't find anything interesting and wound up vomiting and dying 20 minutes in or so.

Are there any modded servers where guns are more common and other players can be found?

If there is one zed just keep punching it in the face. Right click to block and back up. If there are 3/4. Try and lock them in buildings by baiting them in and shutting doors.

The loot now spawns all round lots of different buildings you need to search every where.

You also need to know where the wells are and drink loads before you set off up north. Check this

https://dayz.ginfo.gg/chernarusplussatmap/

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

Head Bee Guy posted:

:/ dead link. got a fresh one?

https://discord.gg/STVqFmrHCY

Ill give dayz another shot. I have low hopes because freezing to death sounds like it sucks. I just wanna sit in a tower and shoot mans. Has anyone climbed up a smokestack in the past five years? Do they still kill you?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah, so I played some more, even met players, tried to do 'social interactions'. Was awkward. Obviously.

I'm starting to think this isn't just about the weapons, vehicles and added survival tedium; the old DayZ mod servers had communities? Maybe this is really all about the global server chat? I don't know, the game just seems so empty.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah, so I played some more, even met players, tried to do 'social interactions'. Was awkward. Obviously.

I'm starting to think this isn't just about the weapons, vehicles and added survival tedium; the old DayZ mod servers had communities? Maybe this is really all about the global server chat? I don't know, the game just seems so empty.

Yeah, no global chat was always probably the biggest design choice problem in the game.

Want to have fun and give each other poo poo? Naw.

Want to be able to report someone cheating to an admin? Lol

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's just a server plugin now. I prefer it being off by default personally. If you are looking for that type of experience search for servers with extra loot/traders etc etc. You can easily get loads of modded guns quickly and death match.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

In DayZ mod before they shut off global chat I would reply to everything anyone said.

Who’s in Cherno? Me

Friendly in Electro? Yes.

I’m actually sniping in Berezino but some idiots are going to get killed in Cherno and Electro.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
What servers do people like these days?

Liquid Banjo
Dec 23, 2009

full of mama's homemade pemmican
The DayOne servers seem consistently populated and well managed. There is less focus on mods and more on immersion/interaction so ymmv depending on your style.

They have 4 servers running Namalsk now and it's definitely been a fun time exploring and dealing with the cold.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Yeah the Day one servers are some of the best custom ones I've found. Actual admins, mods but nothing crazy. Not a terrible idea to join their discord. I have mixed feelings about global chat; if it's a server with any kind of pve slant, hell yeah. It doesn't quite feel right on the others.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
For the 2021 Steam Lunar New Year Sale DayZ's at 40% discount which in USD means that it's down to $26.99, the Livonia DLC is at 20% discount to $11.19, and the DayZ Livonia Edition of them is at 42% discount to $34.36.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
Just popping in to say that DayOne Namalsk is some of the most fun I've had in a game in recent memory. Good poo poo.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
No in game footage yet but a twitch stream on thursday. I'm mildly interested.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/icarus-live-action-trailer-released

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Jippa posted:

No in game footage yet but a twitch stream on thursday. I'm mildly interested.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/icarus-live-action-trailer-released
For some reason, forced PVE (SP or up to 8-player co-op) sounds like The VisionTM before DayZ mod players first got the idea of killing each other...

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
They only show the start of the game on the vid I skipped through it. I totally agree with this from the RPS writer. I thought I was completely done with hitting rock style games but if they have an interesting twist I could be onboard.

"I've felt flippant about survival games these days because I've spent years of my life picking berries and building wood shacks in games. Don't we have enough of these things? However, the recent success of Valheim (generally, and with me personally) has proven that I'm still totally still capable of excitement over the usual survival schtick provided it gives me just enough of something new to chew. With any luck, we'll get a better look at Icarus's hook, the session-based element, in the future."

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/dean-hall-rocketwerkz-shows-off-icarus-co-op-session-based-survival-livestream

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Yeah, agreeing in a big way re: Valheim. But you gotta ask: what makes Valheim good?

1) tedium with crafting is at a minimum

2) “casual” player elements included (a map, relatively forgiving death punishments, details given to let you know which biome you’re in at any given moment)

It’s already great, but once they flesh out the remaining biomes, I think it’s gonna be amazing good.

I mean, my discovering that the edge of the world is, in fact, the edge of the loving world as I hear a rushing sound in the fog and see a giant waterfall as I lose 250 iron and 200 black iron along with top tier stuff is a moment I’ll never forget.

Game is great and if DayZ goes that direction, I think it can only be a good thing.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Started playing this again if anyone else is. Been years since I played and it's still Day Z but hey, at least things work a little better. It's fun kind of just playing as a roamer, gradually collecting better and better gear until you get hosed and have to start over. I'm looking for some good servers if anyone has recommendations. Been playing on the DayOne servers but my ping is kind of high there. I'd like something on the east coast.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

ShowTime posted:

Started playing this again if anyone else is. Been years since I played and it's still Day Z but hey, at least things work a little better. It's fun kind of just playing as a roamer, gradually collecting better and better gear until you get hosed and have to start over. I'm looking for some good servers if anyone has recommendations. Been playing on the DayOne servers but my ping is kind of high there. I'd like something on the east coast.

That's pretty much all I do, except once I get a good sniper I camp any server events or obvious camping spots I find just to gently caress with people.

I've been playing on The Hideout servers who have a decent set up of mods for vendors, safezones, map events (king of the hill, airdrops, sometimes special events they set up) lots of custom guns (some of which get buggy).

Can't say much for the community itself but it's your general mix of open to the public people. Some shitters, but generally fine.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Anyone know any good RP servers? Kinda want to try something new with DayZ beyond just being a magpie and occasionally fighting dudes.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
The good ones just closed due to insane toxicity in the rp community. Id just try rp on dayone as people are willing to interact on there (you'll still often get shot without a word).

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Sorry to resurrect the thread but I am late to the party and just got DayZ recently and have been having a lot of fun on just some random official servers. I tried a random modded server but thought it was kind of dumb to start off with an M4 carbvine and magazines with weed symbols on the side so I wouldn't mind some good recommendations for modded servers. While I'm not really into RPing so to speak, I wouldn't mind some type of "no KOS" server where you know, you at least get robbed or have some sort of interaction before dying rather than potshots across the map. I'm willing to also muddle my way through the cringeness of actual RPing.

I'm not really into big PvP just yet (maybe cause I only have a pistol, and two survival shelters in the woods outside of stary sobor as my "base", and a backup base I built outside Dolina but accidentally built outside of a spawn point so it may not last long before being discovered.)

Loving playing this like a hermit survivalist prepper (I cook food in a different place than my woods camp, and I try and move mostly around at night into towns, only move through cover in bushes and woodlines) but would love to eventually move into the building a base level which seems to be only possible with a group of people.

Any Goon groups at all going? A discord? goon servers? I've been enjoying DayZ a lot and don't find it to be all that buggy at all, so not sure how it compares to the old Arma mods since I never played those.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Try some player maps and look for vanilla or vanilla-RP servers. Namalsk is PvE ramped up to 11, and Esseker is a very good map in general. I can't speak for base building on them, but both are fun for solo survival.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Canuckistan posted:

Try some player maps and look for vanilla or vanilla-RP servers. Namalsk is PvE ramped up to 11, and Esseker is a very good map in general. I can't speak for base building on them, but both are fun for solo survival.

Any good RP or KOS-light servers? I'm fine with getting robbed or shot, but a server that at the very least has rules against being sniped at randomly would be great.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Ceasefire rp is probably your best bet out of the non whitelisted servers, but because it's public there will always be shitters.

The dayz rp community is super split these days. DayzRP (the server) will always exist, but it has major issues as you can just pay to get unbanned.

Your 4 other options are really affinity rp, genesis rp, taken rp and beyond rp. They're all basically the grandchildren of TRZ, forming from the ashes of Trzs successors that also no longer exist.

I believe affinity is on deer isle, taken is namalsk and the other two are both on chernarus.

Knowing the staff of all servers, affinity is probably the closest to pve, so give that a go, and then if your after more conflict try beyond or genesis.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions, I haven't done any RP servers yet but I should. Though I don't like to actively RP, (like create a character for myself with a full backstory and like purpose of finding my lost wife or something and then having to act that out on audio) but I guess I do enjoy sort of a passive RP in that I like to play immersevely (like, my guy isn't kitted out in a zombie apocolypse like a 13 year old's vision of a ninja specops guy) and I don't really do goofy stuff with my character, so I imagine at least an RP server would be a better environment for muH rEaLiSm. I kinda like to play more like the Sims I guess where i just go slow, enjoy the the activities, try to do stuff in a sort of logical manner (i.e. not building giant bases but just a wall to a nice house and another for a garage).

That being said, been on some modded PVE servers (the Sunnyvale servers) and people are super nice (some guy just out of the blue gave me a bag full of goodies, and bought me a beater starter car and people are super chill and patient with newbies and dumb questions as long as your nice about it).

I know that lots of people apparently stopped playing DayZ because of the toxic community, but the PVE setup with PVP zones in the military bases are really the best best of both worlds because you can enjoy some chill/immersive building, driving around, hunting, fishing and cooking, mix it in with a little sneaky or loud PVE action when you go into a town with zombies (the one I'm in have significantly tanked up the zombies so you can't just dance around and melee them, in fact you pretty much can only either shoot them or outrun them) and then finally if you get the itch for some more intensity and tactical whatever you can gear up and go hit up a PVP zone.

Also, Namalsk is particularly good for PVE because of how intense the environment already is so you definitely don't feel bored.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 11, 2021

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

this game is fun imo

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
It's getting better, but still janky as hell in some places. It bothers me that transportation is still hosed up. Cars are super painful to get working but they're usually a deathtrap so no one bothers. Maybe I'm not the target audience, but I can't stand running and running and running to get somewhere interesting. Put in a freaking bike and I'll be super happy.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Canuckistan posted:

It's getting better, but still janky as hell in some places. It bothers me that transportation is still hosed up. Cars are super painful to get working but they're usually a deathtrap so no one bothers. Maybe I'm not the target audience, but I can't stand running and running and running to get somewhere interesting. Put in a freaking bike and I'll be super happy.

One of the mods in the Arma2 version spawned you with a bike. I think it works well because you’re defenseless while you pedal and it allows for more dynamic and exciting gameplay (see: not 20 minutes of running). I’d be surprised if there weren’t some private servers that spawned you with bikes

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I tried the PvE servers but it wasn’t any good. Walking around knowing that I was in literally zero danger unless I strayed into a military base took all the excitement away

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I just started playing this again for the first time in, god, 5? years?

Huh. They actually finished it. I drove a car, I shot a guy, I died to the new zed mechanics several times, I got salmonella poisoning from not washing my hands after gutting an animal.

Almost all of the lovely jank of the olden days is gone. All of the mechanics (temperature, disease, rain/wetness, firearms, melee, cooking/hunting) are fully implemented and at least work fine.

I've been messing around for about a week. Idk when they finished this game - it was hosed for like 5+ years - but incredibly it's not a terrible game any more.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Yeah, it’s kinda weird, right?

There are some pretty great mods for it too, but playin without the Goon crew just ain’t the same

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

tehinternet posted:

Yeah, it’s kinda weird, right?

There are some pretty great mods for it too, but playin without the Goon crew just ain’t the same

No one poisoned you??

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

No one poisoned you??

Just shot some lovely pubbies and got shot, kinda boring

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Even if the game is good now, it’s bad because it missed the wave it created for itself.

Today, game’s have moved on. DayZ sucks alone, and it was always about the gooncrew and the heyday of a new game genre. Today those same vibes are in much better games, or slightly offshoot in games like Tarkov and PUBG and other roguelike shooters of any kind.

The magic of DayZ is gone. I really miss the days of goon groups and the visceral gunfights.

…so it was probably about the friends we made along the way.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I remember rounding up some newbies and forcing them to fight to the death for our amusement. Or crippling them and making them sing thriller. Or being locked down in a row house listening to them broadcast the 50 shades of gray audio book. Or paying homage to Our Lady of Balota by singing "no pants man no pants" and running naked through the countryside.

It was a simpler time.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Even if the game is good now, it’s bad because it missed the wave it created for itself.

Certainly part of the magic back then was in discovering the world and its rules, and now that we know the game, the magic is a little less awesome.

vandalism posted:

I remember rounding up some newbies and forcing them to fight to the death for our amusement.

Surprisingly, I've still been running into newbies in game. Today I started a new hardcore character and two bambis on the beach asked me for advice because they kept dying and didn't know what to do. Weird to me that people are just now starting to play DayZ for the first time, but there's definitely fresh meat out there.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

RadioPassive posted:

I've been messing around for about a week. Idk when they finished this game - it was hosed for like 5+ years - but incredibly it's not a terrible game any more.
From what I understand, that's how long it took for the devs to completely replace the SQF scripting language (which powers almost everything in the Arma series but which has also been officially blamed for that series' "performance issues") with one called EnScript which more closely resembles C#.

Vahakyla posted:

I've come to believe that DayZ was doomed to miss the wave before it was even greenlit, that's how ill-suited the *Arma* series' engine was for what was supposed to be justify a standalone game.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Did not help that its devs had no idea why their game was fun and what had taken the whole world by surprise.

They thought it was veggie farming and not being able to use looted gear because it was shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Give me a bike and I'll be back into this game again. Until then there's nothing fun about dying and re-spawning a loving 30 minute run from your group, or spending 10 minutes running from town to town. A little less drudgery is all that I'm asking.