Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Here is some behind the scenes stuff from Live, Die, Repeat: All You Need is Kill on the Edge of Tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spD2KAgBH-s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait for tom cruise to whitewash another asian production into bland baby food for the american market.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Peven Stan posted:

I can't wait for tom cruise to whitewash another asian production into bland baby food for the american market.

Me neither. His last one was really really good!

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Drifter posted:

Me neither. His last one was really really good!

I wouldn't really complain considering 'Pacific Rim' was probably the best version of 'Neon Genesis Evangelion' we are going to get.

Sometimes Asian material needs to be whitewashed... was Live Die Repeat really all that bad of a movie?

If you want to know the gritty details, you can always read the book. Assuming you are intelligent enough to read English or Japanese... of course. I don't know if they publish books in Ebonics yet, even though it is clearly becoming a dominant language.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

lurker1981 posted:

I wouldn't really complain considering 'Pacific Rim' was probably the best version of 'Neon Genesis Evangelion' we are going to get.

Sometimes Asian material needs to be whitewashed... was Live Die Repeat really all that bad of a movie?

If you want to know the gritty details, you can always read the book. Assuming you are intelligent enough to read English or Japanese... of course. I don't know if they publish books in Ebonics yet, even though it is clearly becoming a dominant language.

what are you talking about

Zadus Rejan
Nov 9, 2011
Watched it yesterday. Not that bad. It's even a good movie.

so, TomTom is now Alpha&Omega?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

lurker1981 posted:

You had a good post up until the last couple sentences. It went to hell quickly and impressively thoroughly at that point.

Zadus: You probably don't need spoilers, we've been spoiling it for a long rear end time now trying to interpret it.

And the short answer is no, assuming you're not just trying to make some kind of goofy joke. He lost the alpha blood, so he's definitely not that. And he probably either isn't an omega or won't be for all that long. The last omega-scale timewarp back a couple days resulted in/from the death of the omega, which then killed off all the aliens. Time-travel was dependent upon the alien's biology/technology, and with them dead it don't happen no more.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When did the yahoo poster get here? Thanks, hooked on Obamics! :argh:

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah, in the end it's irrelevant but just like Groundhog's Day, you know it was a loving shitload of times because of the cumulative knowledge they reveal and the proficiency in things that take years of practice to perfect.

I read a quote somewhere that is entirely unsupported, but worth mentioning, that Bill Murray spent 1,000 years in the loop during Groundhog day. Can't imagine how many times Cage had to do it to know every event of the battlefield.

I realize that both of these movies follow the movie logic towards the exactness of time in a sequence of events, but it's interesting to contemplate the butterfly effect that would result from split-second missteps and delayed micro-reactions. Event A causes Event B but only when conducted at Time C. All three have to be in line at all times for the sequence to remain consistent through all loops, but in the movie, whether Cage is hanging out with J-Crew or training with Emily Blunt, everyone can always be found doing the same thing and following the exact same sequence before and during the battle. They always find Cage in the rain and that one guy always throws the same two punches despite Event A or Time C missing from a previous loop sequence.

I suppose you could cite the rigid structural lifestyle of the military but when one rude comment can ruin my day, I couldn't even conceive how or in what way my performance would be affected on the battlefield if I had to spend all day looking for a new deserter recruit or doing a hundred unnecessary push-ups during PT, and how that would ripple out to change the landscape of the subsequent battle, over thousands of repeats.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

speshl guy posted:

I read a quote somewhere that is entirely unsupported, but worth mentioning, that Bill Murray spent 1,000 years in the loop during Groundhog day. Can't imagine how many times Cage had to do it to know every event of the battlefield.

I realize that both of these movies follow the movie logic towards the exactness of time in a sequence of events, but it's interesting to contemplate the butterfly effect that would result from split-second missteps and delayed micro-reactions. Event A causes Event B but only when conducted at Time C. All three have to be in line at all times for the sequence to remain consistent through all loops, but in the movie, whether Cage is hanging out with J-Crew or training with Emily Blunt, everyone can always be found doing the same thing and following the exact same sequence before and during the battle. They always find Cage in the rain and that one guy always throws the same two punches despite Event A or Time C missing from a previous loop sequence.

I suppose you could cite the rigid structural lifestyle of the military but when one rude comment can ruin my day, I couldn't even conceive how or in what way my performance would be affected on the battlefield if I had to spend all day looking for a new deserter recruit or doing a hundred unnecessary push-ups during PT, and how that would ripple out to change the landscape of the subsequent battle, over thousands of repeats.

That's an area where I find the LDR:EoT groundhog day effect a little less realistic (*gasp*) than Groundhog Day. Repeating conversations, memorizing where a couple barney fifes go in order to steal a bag of money, that all seems pretty repeatable in Groundhog Day. Making the exact same movements at the exact same times during loops to escape the beach firefight just seems absurd. It's not just knowing patterns, it's repeating all those very complex steps over and over and over. Even after he knows how to get to the helicopter area, he still couldn't get there every time.

Thousands of years makes sense in terms of becoming proficient at everything and getting enough trials in to make it to the helicopter. But what about the side effects, like the omega trying to find him and drain him, or just general insanity over repeating the same steps only to fail every single time?

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
I'm sure something to this effect has already been said at some point, but the way things happen in this movie really make much more sense if you simply think of it as gameplay footage from a live-action video game with Tom Cruise's character as both the player and player character and everyone else as NPCs going by scripts that only activate if certain general conditions are met. With Emily Blunt's character being an NPC based off the protagonist of the first game, of course. :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Doctor Bishop posted:

I'm sure something to this effect has already been said at some point, but the way things happen in this movie really make much more sense if you simply think of it as gameplay footage from a live-action video game with Tom Cruise's character as both the player and player character and everyone else as NPCs going by scripts that only activate if certain general conditions are met. With Emily Blunt's character being an NPC based off the protagonist of the first game, of course. :v:

Well, that'd imply that the outcome was already known. And since it wasn't known...:shrug:

maybe it's a message to the audience about how mechanical human behavior truly is, in spite of the holiness we ascribe to our illusion of free will.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 15, 2014

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I liked this film a lot. Normally I'd hate the ending but gently caress it, Cage put himself through enough to earn it.
Also after reading this I think the ending is justified - of course the Omega would have a time reset for itself too, it just dying wouldn't have made much sense. Therefore stealing its blood and taking its place is the only way to get rid of it.

Remember how the aliens were waiting in ambush when Cage and his gang came to kill the Omega? Maybe they had already killed it, and it didn't take because no one soaked up the Omega blood.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I figured I'd pop in and leave a shallow, but interesting thing I noted watching this: Cruise's character is called Cage for a reason.

He's press-ganged (ha!) into the military. He's trapped in the time loops, at first unable to survive, then unable to succeed. He's trapped inside the Jacks, burdensome machinery he needs to live but which are also a death trap. It's only when he rejects the chain of command, rejects the Alpha blood (not willingly, but this is fiction, it happened for a reason), and rejects the Jacks that he can kill the Omega and break free.

If I was SMG, this is where I'd apply some Marxist ideology to the whole thing and get yelled at, but I'm here to read other people's pretentious garbage, not write tracts of my own.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ungulateman posted:

I figured I'd pop in and leave a shallow, but interesting thing I noted watching this: Cruise's character is called Cage for a reason.

He's press-ganged (ha!) into the military. He's trapped in the time loops, at first unable to survive, then unable to succeed. He's trapped inside the Jacks, burdensome machinery he needs to live but which are also a death trap. It's only when he rejects the chain of command, rejects the Alpha blood (not willingly, but this is fiction, it happened for a reason), and rejects the Jacks that he can kill the Omega and break free.

If I was SMG, this is where I'd apply some Marxist ideology to the whole thing and get yelled at, but I'm here to read other people's pretentious garbage, not write tracts of my own.

Well, his character's name in the original story was Keiji. So there's that, too.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I just watched this and it was was much better then I thought it would be. There is a scene where he tells her in a very specific way to make sure she releases the back of the trailer and she dosen't and he dosen't say anything about it. It then gets destroyed (apparently instead of them). It seems like he HAD to say that or she would remove it on her own. Also, the fact that (as mentioned previously) things worked out perfectly concenring mico reactions and such is that it probably didn't always work out. They only showed the runs where it did.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crappy Jack posted:

Well, his character's name in the original story was Keiji. So there's that, too.

No no no THIS blue curtain is blue for ENTIRELY different reasons.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Who's to say they didn't insert that subtext because his name was already Anglicized as "Cage"?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pander posted:

That's an area where I find the LDR:EoT groundhog day effect a little less realistic (*gasp*) than Groundhog Day. Repeating conversations, memorizing where a couple barney fifes go in order to steal a bag of money, that all seems pretty repeatable in Groundhog Day. Making the exact same movements at the exact same times during loops to escape the beach firefight just seems absurd. It's not just knowing patterns, it's repeating all those very complex steps over and over and over. Even after he knows how to get to the helicopter area, he still couldn't get there every time.
We do see him fail to achieve something that he achieved before in that helicopter scene - he says that he was previously able to convince Rita to stay away and survive.

Doctor Bishop posted:

The author did compare the scenario to a videogame speedrun.
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/edge-of-tomorrow-all-you-need-is-games

quote:

"I like video games," Sakurazaka says in the novel's afterword. "I've watched them grow up along with me. But even after beating dozens of games on the hardest difficulty mode, I've never been moved to cheer until the walls shake. I've never laughed, cried, or jumped up to strike a victory pose. My excitement drifts like ice on a quiet pond, whirling around somewhere deep inside me. Maybe that's just the reaction I have watching myself from the outside. I look down from above and say 'After all the time I put into the game, of course I was going to beat it.' I see myself with a poo poo-eating grin plastered on my face—a veteran smile only someone who'd been there themselves could appreciate."

"The ending never changes," he continues. "The village elder can't come up with anything better than the same worn-out line he always uses. Well, the joke is on you, gramps. There's not a drop of hero's blood in my whole body, so spare me the praise. I'm here because I put in the time. I have blisters on my fingers to prove it. It had nothing to do with coincidence, luck, or the activation of my Wonder Twin powers. I reset the game hundreds of times until my special attack finally went off perfectly. Victory was inevitable. This is the sort of thing that went through my head while I was writing."
The ending sequence of the movie obviously changes this a bit, but it seems like a metaphor for the power of determination and practice as opposed to natural ability.

e:

Crappy Jack posted:

Keiji is Japanese for cage so that doesn't really change much :v:

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 15, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Who's to say they didn't insert that subtext because his name was already Anglicized as "Cage"?

"Hey guys, here's a cool coincidence..."

*<inserting subtext> beep boop beep*

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
More like "hmm, we need to flesh out our protagonist a little... his name is Cage... let's add some story beats about him being CAGED by the military and the time loops!"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Guys I'm pretty sure the name is a tribute to Nicholas Cage from Next.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

mobby_6kl posted:

Another movie I thought I'd hate but really enjoyed.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
'Will Cage' is really obvious.

It's up there with 'Willy Loman' in Death Of A Salesman, or 'General Cypher Raige'.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

lurker1981 posted:

Hey ma'nizzle, i'd buy da gently caress outta dat book, yo

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Pacific Rim was whack, real whack, Jack.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Harime Nui posted:

Pacific Rim was whack, real whack, Jack.

You shut your drat dirty mouth!

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

mobby_6kl posted:

It would be pretty disturbing if some video game concepts were inspired by The Golden Man (the story is, believe it or not, better than the movie).

I'm not gay, but if I was, I would make out with Nicholas Cage. And let him put it in my pooper.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I just saw this and enjoyed it. Like pretty much every Tom Cruise movie I've seen in recent years it was decent but not great. Totally worth the time to sit down and watch it though

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I just finished reading the novel, I meant to do it ages ago when the movie was still in cinemas and never got around to it. It's kind of crazy how much they changed from the novel. There's not necessarily anything wrong with taking loose inspiration from something and telling your own story with it, but it's definitely the loosest film adaptation I've ever seen.

Crappy Jack posted:

And the Americans even pronounce his name as "Cage". It's a deliberate callback to the novel.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 21, 2014

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LibbyM posted:

it's definitely the loosest film adaptation I've ever seen.

What? Read more books.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

Nicolas Cage and Tom Cruise need to make a sci-fi movie.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

eyebeem posted:

What? Read more books.

A grand total of one character from the book appears at all (Rita), and even than a lot of Rita's story and significant parts of her character are completely changed. Almost nothing that happens in the books happens in the movie, beyond: Keiji/Cage kills a server/alpha, relives the same battle a lot, gets better at fighting over time.
When I say none of the characters appear, I don't mean because their names were changed. Everything about who Keiji is as a person is different from who Cage is as a person. There is no character who is equivalent to Yonabaru, Ferrell, or any of the other significant characters from the book.

I want to make it clear I'm not complaining about the movie, as I said: "There's not necessarily anything wrong with taking loose inspiration from something and telling your own story with it". But what movie is a looser adaptation than one that features none of the characters and none of the story from the book?

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 22, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LibbyM posted:

A grand total of one character from the book appears at all (Rita), and even than a lot of Rita's story and significant parts of her character are completely changed. Almost nothing that happens in the books happens in the movie, beyond: Keiji/Cage kills a server/alpha, relives the same battle a lot, gets better at fighting over time.
When I say none of the characters appear, I don't mean because their names were changed. Everything about who Keiji is as a person is different from who Cage is as a person. There is no character who is equivalent to Yonabaru, Ferrell, or any of the other significant characters from the book.

I want to make it clear I'm not complaining about the movie, as I said: "There's not necessarily anything wrong with taking loose inspiration from something and telling your own story with it". But what movie is a looser adaptation than one that features none of the characters and none of the story from the book?

The Running Man?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Now I want to read both of those books.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The Running Man?

I haven't actually seen The Running Man, but would that be looser, or just as loose?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LibbyM posted:

I haven't actually seen The Running Man, but would that be looser, or just as loose?

Looser. Like the only thing it remotely has in common is "guy is on a deadly game show" and even the game show is insanely different.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

LibbyM posted:

The Lawnmower Man?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ImpAtom posted:

Looser. Like the only thing it remotely has in common is "guy is on a deadly game show" and even the game show is insanely different.

Also notable for quite possibly being unfilmable due to the book's ending and today's political climate.

The game show is not on a fancy Hollywood set, it's more akin to a reality show where there are cameras everywhere in the country and the contestants are tagged with surviving for as long as they can, earning money as they keep their time going. At the end, our hero does the noble thing and pilots the airliner he's hijacked into the skyscraper belonging to the company that runs the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

LibbyM posted:

I would say that for a lot of people the concept of the story is the main star, not loose characters. That is what has been adapted.

• Locked thread