Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Grendels Dad posted:

One example of this for me was the scene where Cage walks away from his meeting with Rita all depressed and two members of J-Squad try to beat him up. He "predicts" their every move with his eyes closed, which suggests that he went through this moment enough times to memorize it completely, which means that he also went through enough versions of the day that lead to this moment. The idea of the sheer volume of repetitions it would take to have that exact sequence occur and then be able to memorize what you need to do by trial and error was terrifying to me.

That's a big part of why the ending falls flat for me. By the end of the movie, this guy should be loving inhuman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Shanty posted:

That's a big part of why the ending falls flat for me. By the end of the movie, this guy should be loving inhuman.

Yeah, that is one of the (admittedly very few) low points of the film for me, and something I think the original did a lot better. By the end, he was nothing short of a killing machine, pretty obviously addicted to killing, emotionally dead, and basically just a monster. It's definitely a more interesting ending, but there's no way that Hollywood would've let that poo poo fly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

kiimo posted:

my own mother can't even get this abomination of a name right.

Mom's are hilarious like that. I asked my mom if she wanted to watch The Hobbit the other day and she was like, "is that the one with a guy and he has a house, and he's a leader, and he leads people?" That poo poo is verbatim, son. She got the broadest of loving strokes right at least.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

teagone posted:

Mom's are hilarious like that. I asked my mom if she wanted to watch The Hobbit the other day and she was like, "is that the one with a guy and he has a house, and he's a leader, and he leads people?" That poo poo is verbatim, son. She got the broadest of loving strokes right at least.

I'm pretty sure your mom also described a frat movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

teagone posted:

You should have watched Fight Club with her, that was clearly the movie she was thinking of.

Shanty posted:

I didn't mind the ending but I do like big dumb happy endings like that. On the other hand, I wouldn't have minded if a truck ran into Cage just before he managed to enter the barracks, and he dies with the words "That wasn't here yesterday" on his lips.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, that is one of the (admittedly very few) low points of the film for me, and something I think the original did a lot better. By the end, he was nothing short of a killing machine, pretty obviously addicted to killing, emotionally dead, and basically just a monster. It's definitely a more interesting ending, but there's no way that Hollywood would've let that poo poo fly.

Can you imagine how much anxiety you would feel... after a thousand years of repetition, suddenly it is a new day and you have no idea what is coming next?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The MSJ posted:

I'm pretty sure your mom also described a frat movie.

I'm pretty sure that description fits a disturbingly large number of movies honestly.

GORDON posted:

Can you imagine how much anxiety you would feel... after a thousand years of repetition, suddenly it is a new day and you have no idea what is coming next?

Anxiety is one thing to feel, but by that point he's pretty obviously looking forward to it, happy at the thought of all the killing he has left to do before winning the war. He's totally psychologically broken by that point, and like Shanty said, he's just straight up inhuman by that point. Insert your own 'he who fights monsters' or 'no john, you are the monsters' joke here.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
If there was any doubt as to how great Emily Blunt is, she also thinks that All You Need is Kill is a better title than Edge of Tomorrow or Live. Die. Repeat.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Shanty posted:

How would you think Rita would of been? That's actually why she got the nickname "Full Metal Bitch". In the manga, Cage also got nickname that they left out of the movie, "Killer Cage" but he killed Rita to get it.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 10, 2015

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm pretty sure that description fits a disturbingly large number of movies honestly.

Anxiety is one thing to feel, but by that point he's pretty obviously looking forward to it, happy at the thought of all the killing he has left to do before winning the war. He's totally psychologically broken by that point, and like Shanty said, he's just straight up inhuman by that point. Insert your own 'he who fights monsters' or 'no john, you are the monsters' joke here.

I have no idea how you got anything from what you wrote there out of the movie. I agree that the looping put Cage under severe psychological stress and changed him in many ways. It even broke him, several times. The thing is, he got over it. He had no choice but to, the looping wouldn't stop. I imagine there are countless loops where Cage just refuses to get up because what's the point? The point is that eventually 24 hours will pass and then the day will reset and what else is he going to do?

For me LDR is all about constraints versus freedom. The ability to reset the day would pose limitless freedom to anybody, as seen in Groundhog Day. Phil basically does whatever he wants, there is almost nothing he cannot do. For all the awesome knowledge and skills Cage acquires, he is still constrained by circumstances. While Phil gets to learn to play the piano, all Cage learns is how to time events and how to kill. Because all he needs is (to) kill. Cage can't get closer to Rita because all Rita cares about is winning the war. It's as if Phil got stuck doing that report about the groundhog all day long, with no way of escaping.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I just saw this last week and oh my god Emily Blunt shooting Tom Cruise in the face repeatedly :swoon:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

I have no idea how you got anything from what you wrote there out of the movie. I agree that the looping put Cage under severe psychological stress and changed him in many ways. It even broke him, several times. The thing is, he got over it. He had no choice but to, the looping wouldn't stop. I imagine there are countless loops where Cage just refuses to get up because what's the point? The point is that eventually 24 hours will pass and then the day will reset and what else is he going to do?

Actually the day won't reset unless Cage or one of the other Alphas dies.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

The Rat posted:

I just saw this last week and oh my god Emily Blunt shooting Tom Cruise in the face repeatedly :swoon:

Agreed. :swoon:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Because it's not about the movie :ssh:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

kiimo posted:

my own mother can't even get this abomination of a name right.

Kill Into the Edge of the Rim of the Rising Dawn of Darkness Tomorrow: Steel Days of Future Apes After Jurassic Earth III pt 2: Jenesys

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 11, 2015

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snak posted:

Actually the day won't reset unless Cage or one of the other Alphas dies.

Yeah, I got that wrong. I guess Cage is only constrained by the endless cycle of living and dying and repeating.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Because it's not about the movie :ssh:

idgi

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Here I was thinking that saying I was talking about what I thought was better about the original work was enough indication that I was talking about All You Need Is Kill, but reading comprehension is hard I guess.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I watched this movie today and then read the manga it's based off of afterwards. To be honest I liked the movie more; it did a much better job of selling the whole "repeating a day" concept; Tom Cruise did the same stuff most people would do in his situation with regard to trying to convince other people that you had gone back in time. I also had an easier time following the logic of the movie with the Alpha and Omega more than whatever was going on in the manga with both Keiji and Rita having the repeat ability. The manga also didn't have much of an end; it just said that Keiji went on to continue fighting the war, and I guess we're supposed to just assume that he was such a huge badass that he could single-handedly win at that point. The only dilemma that was solved at the end was finding out how to escape the repeating day cycle (by killing either him or Rita). I still enjoyed it, but the movie had a bigger impact and seemed more "realistic" in the sense that Tom Cruise was surviving by memorizing where stuff was, as opposed to the manga where he just became such a badass killing machine that nothing could stand against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Well, it's a bit of both with the movie & manga I think. Cruise at the start doesn't even know how to turn off the safety, but ends up being a seasoned veteran. The last loop alone was the culmination of everything he had learned to that point. Manga version is just a dumb kid who ends up having to learn how to fight because he has no choice.

It's also implied that Manga version is going to follow in Rita's footsteps by going to each battle and simply looping through it over and over until he wins, same with what Rita was doing when she landed in Japan. She had been looping there at least 160 times before she even met Keiji, and was a living legend before that point. I also liked the implication that she just followed in the footsteps of someone else who had been looping for god knows how long. Technically speaking, the war should have been lost in a day, so who knows how many people have been looping until that point.

• Locked thread