Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I... kinda agree, I think?

Polanski has at least faced some kind of consequences for what he did, even if he hasn't faced as many as he should. His public image is absolutely destroyed except among a select few film-industry people who lack perspective, his career is functionally over, he will never be able to return to the US for the rest of his life, and even the important films he's made will be forgotten as a result of what he did; he's not rotting in a jail cell, but I imagine his life still isn't exactly fun. Allen, meanwhile, has gotten off completely scot-free for every single horrible thing he's ever done, of which there are many. They're both lovely, and tiering this kind of shittiness is basically splitting hairs, but Allen definitely makes me a lot angrier.

His career isn't over. He's up for a César Award this year in fact. He isn't hiding in a small bunker. He's continuing to make films and receive recognition for them, including a 2002 Oscar. Rosemary's Baby is getting a new television series, it isn't 'forgotten.' (Yes, it is based on a book but the miniseries is clearly based on the film adaptation.)

Woody Allen being a terrible monster doesn't suddenly validate Roman Polanski. It just means Woody Allen is also a terrible person who is being unjustly defended and protected because of his celebrity status.

Edit: It is, however, probably not the topic for that, sorry.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

WarLocke posted:

Nah, Scientology is pretty actively horrible. I mean they don't have the Crusades under their belt but it's a relatively young cult, and they are very very active in harrassing/suppressing people who speak up about them. There was a megathread here on SA awhile back (Anonymous vs Scientology?) that really went into detail on it all.

That said, you can like Tom Cruise the actor without supporting Tom Cruise the nut. It's not like all those sci-fi movies wouldn't have been made without him if he didn't exist, they just would have had different leads.

I'm not defending Scientology really, except in comparison to other religions. It's got a rich and interesting history, a colorful founder, teachings that are thematically similar to other religions but just go the extra step and view deities/gods/whatever as the extraterrestrial super monsters they are, and it's got rabid devoted followers like any good young religion. Tom Cruise is the St. Paul of Scientology. They couldn't in their wildest dreams cause the level of damage the Catholic Church does with its policies on contraception and abortion.

Plus they're run like a tax dodging business and have a real creepy corporate vibe, which is appropriate for the Modern American Religion. And it's the invention of pulp scifi novelist built around a bunch of Crowley poo poo he ripped off during his time doing "sex magick" with one of the pioneers of the space program (Then stole his boat, money and girlfriend). a dude who just loved telling tall tales so much he tall tale'd himself into the corporate messiah for a new aeon. It's such a wonderful story.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when this was about a movie and not a bunch of opinions on just how lovely some people are?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PerrineClostermann posted:

Remember when this was about a movie and not a bunch of opinions on just how lovely some people are?

So not even the first page then?

Red Crown posted:

Sure, there's intensity there, and he's an excellent actor. It's just...he's an actor in the sense that he seems like a sociopath trying to fit into a role, doing it very well. It worked for me when I was a kid, but as I've gotten older I've started to find his acting mildly unsettling. I think it's getting more and more so as he gets more and more plastic surgery. That probably has something to do with how botox treatments start to affect the fine motor muscles that are important for subtle non-verbal cues, I guess.

As for deciding what film he wants to be made, I can't really comment.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Woody Allen being a terrible monster doesn't suddenly validate Roman Polanski. It just means Woody Allen is also a terrible person who is being unjustly defended and protected because of his celebrity status.

Yeah, that's what I said. I just think it's reasonable to be angrier at the one who's getting defended a lot more widely, that's all.

quote:

Edit: It is, however, probably not the topic for that, sorry.

Yeah I actually have no idea how this conversation ended up in this thread. :psyduck:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I instinctively hate Tom Cruise the same way as cats instinctively hiss at dogs. But this movie contains the single highest Cruise deaths per minute ratio in the history of cinema so I had a great time. Amazing production design on the robot suits too, very nice and clunky (though it is essentially the Aliens Power Loader).

http://www.londoncitynights.com/2014/05/edge-of-tomorrow-2014-directed-by-doug.html

I've reviewed it here, but tl;dr though it brazenly rips off Groundhog Day it's a pretty drat good blockbuster.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hardly think "contains time loops" counts as "rips off Groundhog Day." But that's nice to know. Honestly I'm disappointed with the suit designs, since they're less exoskeletons and more actual suits in the other materials.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I hardly think "contains time loops" counts as "rips off Groundhog Day." But that's nice to know. Honestly I'm disappointed with the suit designs, since they're less exoskeletons and more actual suits in the other materials.

Just trust me on this. It really rips off Groundhog Day. Not that this is such a bad thing - there's far worse things to copy.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm... I'll have to watch the movie before I say anything else, then.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Just trust me on this. It really rips off Groundhog Day. Not that this is such a bad thing - there's far worse things to copy.

Looking forward to hearing a Sonny and Cher dubstep remix then!

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Just got out of the theater. It was good, it was fun, and most importantly it was satisfying. I saw X-Men last week, and honestly I liked this a lot more. Visually, story-wise, it's (mostly) extremely focused and knows exactly what it wants to achieve.

Loved the mimic designs, because their movements and feel just felt so alien, properly extra-terrestrial. Liked the suits too, a good mix of practical stuff and byzantine military regulations. Bill Paxton seemed to enjoy himself, but I didn't care for Brian Gleeson's performance. Like his heart wasn't in it. 3D didn't really add anything, and I mostly forgot it was there after about 15 minutes.

Hell, I liked it better than the book. Now, I haven't had time to properly digest it yet, but first reaction is that the movie is a fun, smart summer flick.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Chieves posted:

Looking forward to hearing a Sonny and Cher dubstep remix then!

And cyborg Punxsutawney Phil.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

One thing though, the film is inevitably going to generate a fuckload of boring "why didn't they just do this" faux-tactical discussions that will, in about a week's time, render this thread pretty much unreadable.

It's time travel folks - don't overthink it!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Is there a Groundhog Day style montage where Tom Cruise dies repeatedly in a very short period of time, potentially a few times a minute? This is important.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

JohnSherman posted:

Is there a Groundhog Day style montage where Tom Cruise dies repeatedly in a very short period of time, potentially a few times a minute? This is important.

drat right there is.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JohnSherman posted:

Are you kidding? In the book he goes through over 100 loops. How could they not?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The reviews so far seem to be overwhelmingly positive:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/edge_of_tomorrow/

Which is good because a decent science fiction action flick is exactly what I've been craving for a while now. Even if it does copy Groundhog Day shot-by-shot.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Did anyone actually doubt that this movie was going to be unbelievably loving awesome?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Did anyone actually doubt that this movie was going to be unbelievably loving awesome?

I expected it to be garbage.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Combination Groundhog Day-Starship Troopers, starring Tom Cruise in power armor power-running? I never doubted for a second.

I expected it to be garbage.

Tom Cruise in power armor power-running

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That review made me so excited, because it sounds like this movie is gonna be exactly what I want it to be.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I was so strangely interested in this movie ever since the first promo image showed up in the posters thread something like a year and a half ago.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
This was a fun film. Like, really fun. I could have watched Cruise dying over and over again in hilariously brutal ways for hours. Still, his first death was loving horrifying: Half of his face is melting/has melted off while he is still screaming in horrific agony Jesus christ, I never thought I'd see Cruise like that in a movie.
The tone was perfectly balanced, it was funny and light when it needed to be and serious and moody when needed, especially when Cruise was getting frustrated and giving up on everything. And it was nice to see a female character being the ultimate bad-rear end soldier instead of Cruise, who was loving up everything until the end I am guessing.
I didn't see the last 15-20 minutes so I can't comment on how it ended. I'll watch it again tomorrow.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kush posted:

This was a fun film. Like, really fun. I could have watched Cruise dying over and over again in hilariously brutal ways for hours. Still, his first death was loving horrifying: Half of his face is melting/has melted off while he is still screaming in horrific agony Jesus christ, I never thought I'd see Cruise like that in a movie.
The tone was perfectly balanced, it was funny and light when it needed to be and serious and moody when needed, especially when Cruise was getting frustrated and giving up on everything. And it was nice to see a female character being the ultimate bad-rear end soldier instead of Cruise, who was loving up everything until the end I am guessing.
I didn't see the last 15-20 minutes so I can't comment on how it ended. I'll watch it again tomorrow.

Well, considering how it went in the source material...

Not that the comic is the original source, but it follows pretty close

It's not too surprising.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I just saw it and really liked it. The cast was great and had a bunch of memorable/funny/interesting side characters. The plot had a few neat twists in it too which I didn't see coming. Most of all I noticed the great editing. There were a lot of really cool cuts to tie the loops together and they did a great job to keep the movie going forward after the first longer loop.

It's sort of a smartish actiony romp like Oblivion was, so if you liked that you'll probably dig this too.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I just saw it, and it was very good, while not perfect. I still loved it I definitely wouldn't mind seeing it another time just to catch anything I missed. I'll make a few comments that I feel are vague enough to not be considered spoilers.

One thing I didn't like was that Rita spends a disappointing amount of time not being badass with a sword. The Jackets are also surprisingly less prominent than you'd think.

She never stops being badass, though. I really like Rita. She's strong, smart, and always directly involved in the action. And hey, studios love franchises, right? A Rita prequel film would be excellent. Also Emily Blunt for Commander Shepard in a Mass Effect film. She looks gooood as a total badass.

There's a good bit of comedy throughout the film, most of it involving Tom Cruise dying horribly, and some of it involving Rita killing him. Bill Paxton is also excellent in a minor role. The film also gets pretty drat dark and hopeless for a stretch in the first hour.

There is a romance subplot, because this is Hollywood (although apparently there was one in the source material). I actually thought it was very underplayed. Actually there's this one sequence in the second third of the movie where Cage and Rita are in France, and they're kind of flirting with each other, and then Cage slips up and Rita immediately catches up to the fact that he's stalling her. The tone flips like a switch. It helps that Cruise and Blunt have good chemistry. Even the pre-climactic kiss felt earned, with Rita kind of taking the male role.

Someone give James Herbert an award. I loved the way the different "loops" were spliced together.

I think that the ending will be controversial, but I liked it.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Is this the place to bitch that the movie doesn't come out in a bunch of days here? Because the movie will not show within a couple of days. There will be a large amount of hours that can be translated into days, in which, this movie, will not show up. Give me somewhat good sci-fi - I'm not picky!

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Mars4523 posted:

Actually there's this one sequence in the second third of the movie where Cage and Rita are in France, and they're kind of flirting with each other, and then Cage slips up and Rita immediately catches up to the fact that he's stalling her.

That scene and the start of the next loop after was sooo gooooood. Cage not giving any fucks and just watching Kimmel die was so dark.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Explain to me the movie's biggest plot hole: Why did the general have Cage arrested, demoted, his background fabricated, and forced into a unit with zero training? It was so bizarre that I was certain it was all some sort of dream.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

Explain to me the movie's biggest plot hole: Why did the general have Cage arrested, demoted, his background fabricated, and forced into a unit with zero training? It was so bizarre that I was certain it was all some sort of dream.

It's not a plot hole; the General just didn't like him.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Firstly, it's disrespectful to a US army major, especially such a high-profile one. Secondly, he has zero training and was not offered even a crash course. Cage didn't hate the general, he just wanted to stay out of combat - why not just let him off? Then there was that ridiculous J unit with that soldier who likes to fight in the nude. It all felt too unreal and I was certain they were going to come back to it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

Firstly, it's disrespectful to a US army major, especially such a high-profile one. Secondly, he has zero training and was not offered even a crash course. Cage didn't hate the general, he just wanted to stay out of combat - why not just let him off? Then there was that ridiculous J unit with that soldier who likes to fight in the nude. It all felt too unreal and I was certain they were going to come back to it.

I don't really think the General cared and thought it would be amusing to see Cage die horribly. After all, a later plot point also hinges on him being an rear end in a top hat.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I have a pet theory that the whole thing was a dream that Cage had while he was napping on that helicopter at the start of the movie. This pencil-pusher had this fantasy of becoming a rugged war hero and making out with the Angel of Verdun.

There are many bizarre issues with the story.

1) The general has Major Cage beaten up, demoted, and tossed at the base with a fabricated background. This is incredibly disrespectful to a senior officer. It is also politically dangerous as this is a high-profile officer from an allied nation's army. He's a spokesman for the US Army who has been on TV.

2) The unit he is plopped into is strangely disheveled. Irregular clothing and hairdos. I haven't been in the military but from what I know they are incredibly picky on being well-dressed and groomed. No self-respecting sergeant would let a nudist accompany him in battle.

3) Cage has zero training with those exoskeletons. They won't give him a crash course. They won't even tell him how to switch off the safety on his weapon. His squadmates are totally cool with this. After Cage gains experience through a number of loops, they are astounded to see he knows his exoskeleton and can actually fight.

4) On the first loop, Cage tries to warn everybody what will happen and they duct tape his mouth. Is that how a squad would realistically deal with a crazy member?

5) Why, upon death, does Cage loop back to the moment he wakes up at the Heathrow camp? Why not earlier? I thought something had been done to him while he was knocked out.

All these things can be waved off by saying it was all a silly dream.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 30, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah I just expect every movie to be total poo poo by default until proven otherwise. Saves me a lot of money and anguish.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

I have a pet theory that the whole thing was a dream that Cage had while he was napping on that helicopter at the start of the movie. This pencil-pusher had this fantasy of becoming a rugged war hero and making out with the Angel of Verdun.

There are many bizarre issues with the story.

1) The general has Major Cage beaten up, demoted, and tossed at the base with a fabricated background. This is incredibly disrespectful to a senior officer. It is also politically dangerous as this is a high-profile officer from an allied nation's army. He's a spokesman for the US Army who has been on TV.

2) The unit he is plopped into is strangely disheveled. Irregular clothing and hairdos. I haven't been in the military but from what I know they are incredibly picky on being well-dressed and groomed. No self-respecting sergeant would let a nudist accompany him in battle.

3) Cage has zero training with those exoskeletons. They won't give him a crash course. They won't even tell him how to switch off the safety on his weapon. His squadmates are totally cool with this. After Cage gains experience through a number of loops, they are astounded to see he knows his exoskeleton and can actually fight.

4) On the first loop, Cage tries to warn everybody what will happen and they duct tape his mouth. Is that how a squad would realistically deal with a crazy member?

Or it's a silly action movie based on a batshit insane Japanese comic book. :shobon:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Or it's a silly action movie based on a batshit insane Japanese comic book. :shobon:
Ah. Japanese. There we go.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Baron Bifford posted:

I thought Cage was supposed to be on the battlefield as a reporter/filming the war at first, then he started to pussy out of it which made the General mad. Then Cage started blackmailing the general about his potential warcrimes or whatever it was and that was the final straw; he sent Cage to basically die without any training to make sure he never gets to talk to anyone about it. He just wanted to cover his own rear end.
Caught the ending today, it was ok, kind of Oblivionish actually.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

Oh come on man, you're better than an "it was all a dream" interpretation.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pingiivi posted:

I just saw it and really liked it. The cast was great and had a bunch of memorable/funny/interesting side characters. The plot had a few neat twists in it too which I didn't see coming. Most of all I noticed the great editing. There were a lot of really cool cuts to tie the loops together and they did a great job to keep the movie going forward after the first longer loop.

It's sort of a smartish actiony romp like Oblivion was, so if you liked that you'll probably dig this too.

Tom cruise does for sci fi what Sean Bean does for fantasy/sword dude movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Remember that the the bulk of the UDF are made of poorly trained grunts strapped in exoskeletons, the reasoning being that one poorly trained grunt strapped into an exoskeleton was singlehandedly responsible for turning the tide and Verdun (since they don't know about the 300 plus time loops worth of combat experience she also went through. Cage is responsible for most of that, so it's karmic justice. And Bill Cage was pretty explicitly sent to that unit to die.

J squad is also pretty much shown to be the worst unit in the UDF. Compare them to anybody else (shirtless ripped guy in the same barracks, Rita's skull faced commandos who are much more militaryesque.

Baron Bifford posted:

• Locked thread