Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
It's been a while since I played but I'm pretty sure I'm stuck in Paramonia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Standing on/near a Mudokon then farting will make them move a space, that sort of thing would come in handy during that first Kill All video.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I do not remember Paramonia since I went to Scrabania first...man I regret that. Also, anyone care to explain what the gently caress Sligs are doing in the most holy grounds and NOT enslaving Mudokons somehow?

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
The area those Sligs are in looks sort of like a cage, which combined with the fact that the only way to get in is to fall leads me to suspect it's either a Slig trap in case they do come knocking, or possibly a testing area for Possession for Mudokons who are learning the chant.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Mudokons don't seem the sort to go out and actively kidnap enemies for experiments, and plus, the sligs still have their guns. So yeah, it's likely a pit trap sort of thing.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I'm pretty sure I only owned the sequel but I remember the Scrabs being far more of a threat than Paramites. But maybe it's just me?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The Steak Justice posted:

I'm pretty sure I only owned the sequel but I remember the Scrabs being far more of a threat than Paramites. But maybe it's just me?

The Scrabs are more of an action-game obstacle, while the Paramites are more of a puzzle. There are a few Scrab puzzles, mostly involving their tendency to fight each other, and also some places where you can only run from Paramites, but that's the basic gist of it. Personally I think Paramites are way more interesting.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Scrabs are more of a threat than paramites except when paramites come in multiples :getin:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah the sequel handled them a little differently.

Medium level of Game Spoilers:
They are functionally the same creature wise, besides Exoddus adding the ability to possess them as well. They will both kill you fairly effectively. However the difficulty of the level design in their respective games switch between games.

The Scrab area in Exoddus is a good deal harder than the Paramite area is, but in the original, the Paramite area is quite a few notches of difficulty above the Scrab area.

At least in my opinion anyways. I'd be interested to hear people who think differently on the matter's take on it.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

The Merkinman posted:

Standing on/near a Mudokon then farting will make them move a space, that sort of thing would come in handy during that first Kill All video.

Hmm, I know that's a thing in Exoddus but don't recall it happen in Oddysee. Will have to experiment.

quote:

As other people have said before me, they each have their strengths and weaknesses. It's a little goofy of me to get into it (especially when we're so close to seeing paramites!) but scrabs are more of an instant threat while paramites are more of a lingering one. You can always tell when you're in a situation where you have to run from a scrab, and those situations tend to be very close quarters. Paramites, in comparison, will sneak up on you very quickly, but if you know they're coming up, it's easy to avoid them.

quote:

The Scrab area in Exoddus is a good deal harder than the Paramite area is, but in the original, the Paramite area is quite a few notches of difficulty above the Scrab area.

I feel like this quote is vague enough that it doesn't need to be spoiled. The problem with the difficulty in the paramonian temple is that it feels very artificial to me (I'll get more into this when we get to said areas in the videos). If it weren't for two specific rooms being as weirdly unstable as they are, I would say that the scrabanian temple is much harder, easily. Do agree with you on exoddus though.

06: easy game

quote:

Bridges made from timber and tied with vines connect land masses together. Pipes are made from thick prehistoric skins sewn together with huge leather staples. Hollowed out trees are also used as bridges and ladders. These pipes are waterways that flow from the Monsaic wells. The rough texture of the skins is similar to reptiles and dinosaurs. These skins are also used for various flags, windmills, and covers for tunnel entrances.

If you have been enjoying my skilled and masterful gameplay in the past videos: i'm sorry

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Is there any reason you can't use the possessed slig to blow up the mines at the end?

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

Nihilarian posted:

Is there any reason you can't use the possessed slig to blow up the mines at the end?

You would only blow up one of them. After that there would still be way too many mines for Elum to jump through. Not that it matters, since he can't go through bird portals... at least, I don't think there's ever a time where Elum is able to jump through a portal.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

The background of Paramonia remind me very much of both Myst and Riven. Myst had this place called Channelwood that was very tribal and built itself up around trees, with lots of water and greenish-pale mist all over the place. Riven however was far more primal, and dealt with a lot of rock-based geography concerning mounts and mehnirs.

Seeing Paramonia rather soothes me with that fond memory of those games. :)

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Pretty sure the Paramonia sign near the end is talking about the temple itself, as it and the one in Scrabania are just little tidbits about what you'll experience inside them with a shot of the temples exterior.

Also Elum for best game dog. Horse. Thing.

Continuing on what was said earlier, weird. I find Scrabania the most comfortable difficulty wise of these kinds of areas across the two games. Paramonia in comparison is by far the worst for me. Not just for the areas you are talking about, but like the whole thing is just a big, long pain where I die almost the most often in a playthrough.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Metroixer posted:

You would only blow up one of them. After that there would still be way too many mines for Elum to jump through. Not that it matters, since he can't go through bird portals... at least, I don't think there's ever a time where Elum is able to jump through a portal.

You can get never Elum onto a screen with a portal because the engine wouldn't be able to handle it. In the alive engine Elum is very memory‐intensive, so much so that they needed to carefully script the areas and limit where he could be.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Elum is a pretty nice companion. It's a shame he's so memory-intensive - Abe seems like he benefits a lot from having something to catch a ride on.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

07: Lizard Spiders

quote:

The massive forest temple sits atop a rock base and is mainly constructed from gigantic petrified wood timbers tied together with large thick ropes made from vines. Round tree poles act as columns and are decorated with ornate carvings. The temple entrance is constructed with the largest trees.

Mudokon technology is "primitive" only in that it relies on sustainable resources. Psychic energy, wind, water, and muscle power their machines, vehicles, and facilities, taking care to never leverage a resource that cannot be renewed. Mudokon craftsmanship can be quite advanced, even if the Mudokons have lost the knowledge that once let them rear massive temples and build world-girdling well system.

As I manually type these down straight from the Oddworld Artbook, I can't help but think Ballistic Publishing needs better editors.

quote:

Also Elum for best game dog. Horse. Thing.

Star Wars Camel Friend

quote:

You can get never Elum onto a screen with a portal because the engine wouldn't be able to handle it. In the alive engine Elum is very memory‐intensive, so much so that they needed to carefully script the areas and limit where he could be.

I always forget about this, and I wonder what it is exactly about Elum that makes him so complicated. I guess it's cause you can ride him, cause his interactions with Abe aren't any more complicated than those with mudokons or slogs.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Mostly it's his size and animations, not to mention Abe's interactions with him.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Glad to see another update! I have very very vague memories of this game from my childhood, and it's great to see it through like this.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I still stand by my opinion of Scrabanian temple being easier. Paramonian temple is far more puzzle and timing based, and i'm terrible at timing, so it's always a huge slog to get through it, while Scrabanian is more action and speed, so the few times you do gently caress up, it takes alot less time to get back to where you were.

I also really like the end challenges of the temples. They feel like bosses in a way really, they are always rather difficult, but generally fair, and it doesn't take long to figure out what you are doing wrong in them. Helps that they have kickin rad music though. The sequels respective area music is the best among the games to me.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Thank you for LPing the entry to one of my favorite game worlds ever. I love the puzzle platformer genre, but I can't name any outside of Out of This Wolrd/Another World, Flashback, Abe's Odysee and Exodus, and Heart of Darkness. Are there any gems I missed?

I also really dig the creature design of this game - how Scrabs, Paramites and to some extent sligs are mostly these horrid things made out of fingers that kill you. When I was young I always thought they made Sligs out of leftover Paramite parts since the organic bits look so similar.

Never did a 100% save run, this has been real entertaining to watch.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Paramites are one of my favourite things about this game, they're so adorable and terrifying. Both of the temple trials are some of the most fun parts of the game, even if they aren't very hard.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 7, 2014

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Paramites are one of my favourite things about this game, they're so adorable and terrifying.
Paramites for best dog. Spider. Thing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Crawfish posted:

Paramites for best dog. Spider. Hand. Lizard. Giger-esque horror. Thing.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Argh that noise that it makes when you enter the trial area. I know you brought it up in an earlier video but it's driving me nuts. What does it mean?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Colorspray posted:

Thank you for LPing the entry to one of my favorite game worlds ever. I love the puzzle platformer genre, but I can't name any outside of Out of This Wolrd/Another World, Flashback, Abe's Odysee and Exodus, and Heart of Darkness. Are there any gems I missed?

Original Prince of Persia (depending on the version, and who you ask). It also really depends on your definition of "puzzle platformer."

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

azren posted:

Original Prince of Persia (depending on the version, and who you ask). It also really depends on your definition of "puzzle platformer."

I totally forgot about Prince of Persia - I agree "puzzle platformer" is a super generic term that can apply to many things. The thing in common between all these games is that the character movement and control can be super deliberate and usually have locked screens. The thing I like most about these is that the level design tends to be devious and forces you to play cautiously.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
A lot of games that I've seen/played like Abe's Oddysee and Out of this World claim that Prince of Persia was a huge inspiration in terms of movement/design. I don't know if "puzzle platformer" is the right way to put PoP but it definitely shares many aspects with stuff like Oddworld.

quote:

Scrabanian is more action and speed

Well there's the problem! It's weird cause in most videogames I'm a complete idiot and can't solve puzzle for poo poo but can do action stuff just fine, but in Oddworld it's a complete flip flop. Can't count how many times I've messed up those jumps in the Paramonia videos when something was chasing me or almost shooting me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Paramites are criminally underused by this series.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Colorspray posted:

I totally forgot about Prince of Persia - I agree "puzzle platformer" is a super generic term that can apply to many things. The thing in common between all these games is that the character movement and control can be super deliberate and usually have locked screens. The thing I like most about these is that the level design tends to be devious and forces you to play cautiously.

Did you ever play "Blast Chamber" on the Playstation/Sega Saturn? I would definitely count the solo mode as being a puzzle platformer, and I really enjoyed it.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

azren posted:

Did you ever play "Blast Chamber" on the Playstation/Sega Saturn? I would definitely count the solo mode as being a puzzle platformer, and I really enjoyed it.

No, looked Blast Chamber up and realized I was should probably be shot using the term "puzzle platformer" in the context I intended - I probably should've used "Prince of Persia inspired platformer" but hey hindsight is 20-20.

On the other hand, misinterpretation can be a good thing; when I first saw screenshots of Shadow Complex I originally thought it was going to be like Flashback (probably due to the theme - Guy in backpack with armed soldiers and ledges) and it turned out to be a metroidvania style game. Which was loving awesome.

Staying on Topic of this LP I just reminded myself of Oddworld: New n Tasty coming out. I'm pretty stoked that this game is getting the HD Remix it deserves - and will probably be the literal 4th time I've purchased this game. Watched the trailer though and the 3d perspective has me wondering - how on earth are they going to hide all the secret areas with no static foreground shenanigans?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Clarste posted:

Paramites are criminally underused by this series.

Agreed. They're very interesting in both gameplay mechanics and visual design.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I've noticed that the paramites would often blink out of existence whenever you went into a door. Any ideas on why they do this? Is it just a visual glitch in the alive engine?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

GyverMac posted:

I've noticed that the paramites would often blink out of existence whenever you went into a door. Any ideas on why they do this? Is it just a visual glitch in the alive engine?

Do you mean when they despawn during a zone transition? I think that's just to represent them being removed from memory to free it up for other things.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Most of the area transitions from entering a door are prerendered FMVs where the first and last frame are the same renders used for the area backgrounds. This makes the transition look relatively seamless despite the engine's inability to render that much detail in real time, but it also means there can't be anything onscreen that isn't in the static render, so they wink out of existence to let the FMV play.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I find it rather strange that we're meant to be this ecological saviour of our race and we're just murdering the poo poo out of these other lesser "extinct" creatures purely because they're in our way. I was really expecting some kind of meditative understanding of them once you learnt to fear them, and then respect them.

Zeniel posted:

Argh that noise that it makes when you enter the trial area. I know you brought it up in an earlier video but it's driving me nuts. What does it mean?
You mean the weird steam-engine sound? Cuz that's always bothered me as to what the hell that is, yeah what IS that? I really love the music in this part though, the deeper snare drum really tenses me up.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 9, 2014

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

You mean the weird steam-engine sound? Cuz that's always bothered me as to what the hell that is, yeah what IS that? I really love the music in this part though, the deeper snare drum really tenses me up.

Yeah that one. I've poked around on the net about it but I can't find anything. Even in the really spergy FAQ lists you can find.

I agree the sound design in this game is great. I get the weirdest nostalgia trip from watching. So many late childhood memories.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FinalGamer posted:

I find it rather strange that we're meant to be this ecological saviour of our race and we're just murdering the poo poo out of these other lesser "extinct" creatures purely because they're in our way. I was really expecting some kind of meditative understanding of them once you learnt to fear them, and then respect them.

Well Metroixer is killing a ton of them that aren't really necessary to kill.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Zeniel posted:

Yeah that one. I've poked around on the net about it but I can't find anything. Even in the really spergy FAQ lists you can find.

I agree the sound design in this game is great. I get the weirdest nostalgia trip from watching. So many late childhood memories.
Are we talking about the low grumbling part as he enters the door and it starts to load, or the dun dun - dun dun part after the first trial screen starts up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Crawfish posted:

Are we talking about the low grumbling part as he enters the door and it starts to load, or the dun dun - dun dun part after the first trial screen starts up?

The dun dun - dun dun.

I'd say it means danger's ahead, but when aren't you in danger in this series?

• Locked thread