Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Man, all the good PS1 games of my youth are getting LP'ed at the moment.

I vastly prefer the sequel, but I can't help watching anyone playing through these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

My most favourite area of the game next video.

It's a weird series in that my most liked areas are always the first ones, and my least favourite is the final area in the game.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

The Steak Justice posted:

I'm pretty sure I only owned the sequel but I remember the Scrabs being far more of a threat than Paramites. But maybe it's just me?
Yeah the sequel handled them a little differently.

Medium level of Game Spoilers:
They are functionally the same creature wise, besides Exoddus adding the ability to possess them as well. They will both kill you fairly effectively. However the difficulty of the level design in their respective games switch between games.

The Scrab area in Exoddus is a good deal harder than the Paramite area is, but in the original, the Paramite area is quite a few notches of difficulty above the Scrab area.

At least in my opinion anyways. I'd be interested to hear people who think differently on the matter's take on it.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Pretty sure the Paramonia sign near the end is talking about the temple itself, as it and the one in Scrabania are just little tidbits about what you'll experience inside them with a shot of the temples exterior.

Also Elum for best game dog. Horse. Thing.

Continuing on what was said earlier, weird. I find Scrabania the most comfortable difficulty wise of these kinds of areas across the two games. Paramonia in comparison is by far the worst for me. Not just for the areas you are talking about, but like the whole thing is just a big, long pain where I die almost the most often in a playthrough.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I still stand by my opinion of Scrabanian temple being easier. Paramonian temple is far more puzzle and timing based, and i'm terrible at timing, so it's always a huge slog to get through it, while Scrabanian is more action and speed, so the few times you do gently caress up, it takes alot less time to get back to where you were.

I also really like the end challenges of the temples. They feel like bosses in a way really, they are always rather difficult, but generally fair, and it doesn't take long to figure out what you are doing wrong in them. Helps that they have kickin rad music though. The sequels respective area music is the best among the games to me.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Paramites are one of my favourite things about this game, they're so adorable and terrifying.
Paramites for best dog. Spider. Thing.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Zeniel posted:

Yeah that one. I've poked around on the net about it but I can't find anything. Even in the really spergy FAQ lists you can find.

I agree the sound design in this game is great. I get the weirdest nostalgia trip from watching. So many late childhood memories.
Are we talking about the low grumbling part as he enters the door and it starts to load, or the dun dun - dun dun part after the first trial screen starts up?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah I assume it's the opposite. It feels like a "poo poo's about to get some what harder" warning sound.

Like a significant rise in difficulty, as the two times we've heard it so far from memory were entering Stockyards and entering the trial room.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So among all of the new trailer and media stuff for New 'n' Tasty, the weird noise question that has been kicked around in this thread seems to have been finally answered at some point in this video.

Apparently it's an audio warning that you are walking towards danger, though they make it sound as if it's danger on an adjacent screen.

At least I think that's the noise we've been talking about this entire time? I'm not completely sure.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It does play at weird times, so no one can blame you.

I think its removed entirely in the sequel.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Zeniel posted:

I swear I had no idea that bats could kill you. I just managed to get through this and the next game without ever even realizing that bats were a threat.
There are no bats whatsoever in the next game. That said most people find out the terrible truth about bats in the Stockyards Escape.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Well yeah. The game is a Puzzle Platformer. It would cause problems for the Puzzle part of that if you could erase all dangers off a screen whenever you wanted.

It turns up again, but it's an extreme rarity, even in the sequel.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Nyagato posted:

I got this as a kid with an extra memory card just to have saves for this game. I really really sucked at the puzzles so it took me several years of putting the game on and putting it back in the closet before I even got to the temples. The last time I played it I muscled through the temples because I wanted the shrykull and thought the game would become easier from there. When I understood that was absolutely not the case I was just super burnt out.
I do love the atmosphere and the story and the humor though so I'm really happy to be able to watch this now. Also I'm happy to not be the one to play because games like this are really not for me.
Will probably buy new and tasty to support odd world developers though.

So yeah really thanks for letting me experience this while not having to play the game.

Did you ever try the sequel?

The ability to quick save and order more than one Mudokon around at a time make the game FAR more accessible for your average player, and from what i've read New 'n' Tasty adds both of these. To the point that I bought both Oddworld PS1 Classics a few months ago and marathoned through the sequel and had a great time, but refuse to even touch the original due to its checkpoints being so few and far between and the PS3 controller being far worse than I remember the PS1 controller being.

The idea of having to spend hours on a single area to rescue everyone because a single mistake can wipe away all your work on previous secret areas doesn't seem like a fun and worthwhile idea, so i'm greatly looking forward to picking up New 'n' Tasty on the Wii U.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

With the trophies and the american release price sorted, I don't think it's too far off.

Last I heard they were looking at announcing its release date before E3, but they are rapidly running out of time for that to happen, so I assume its something we'll hear about at E3. Really, the biggest letdown by all the delays is that it means by the time it releases and they eventually meet their sales goals to greenlight Exoddus, if that happens, with the likely development time it will take, we'll almost be due for new consoles by the time it releases.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'm also not a fan of the new chanting animation, and by extension, think the general animation of the mudonkons in the game looks janky and a bit off, but the game is probably a higher FPS than the original, so it's probably a mix of that and the new more side on camera angles.

Generally interested on seeing how they've changed the layout of the game to work in it's new format. The Free Fire zone for example has been pretty substantially changed and generally feels like an area with a completely different tone now.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So there's something pretty drat interesting about the remake, but I don't exactly want to spoil it, and i'm not entirely sure how it works to be honest.

Watching a Twitch stream of it at the moment. Game looks so good. Can't wait for the Wii U release even though it's likely to be several months off. Probably next year.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 22, 2014

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It's weird that the thread hasn't been updated yet, but those interested should probably check out his youtube channel.

Also nice job on the LP dude. Sucks you had so many technical issues, but it was rather enjoyable to watch. Looking forward to the next LP, since I still think it's the better game.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Metroixer posted:

thats because its the best game ever made
Until they give it the New 'n' Tasty treatment. Of which i'm sure will have like 900 mudokons to save or something silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Petiso posted:

Dear lord.
Pretty sure they have put out or are in the process of putting out an update that let's you map running to a button. Still can't use the Dpad though.

• Locked thread