Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

angryhampster posted:

This is at my local Dodge dealer....20,000 original miles. It looks brand new.

With 20k original miles, it's going to need every seal, tire, brake line, hose... basically anything and everything that's made of rubber. Along with a carb rebuild, fuel pump, and the gas tank and lines likely have tons of varnish.

Cars, like people, need regular exercise.

Sure is pretty though! and has a 5 digit odometer anyway, who knows if it's really 120k.. or 220k.. and just really well loved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mike_P posted:

1970 Plymouth Sport Fury

That "Plymouth makes it" logo is completely at odds with the attitude put out by the car itself and the rest of the ad.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

11BulletCatcher posted:

I don't know about the late 70's buick 350 but every story I've ever heard says that of the GM 350's Buicks made the most torque. But that's only anecdotal.

Makes sense, Buicks of the day tended to be heavier with the luxury items, and didn't have performance gears in them.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Mike_P posted:

1970 Plymouth Sport Fury

Solid slab o' badass.

Wooow ok that's awesome. Another contender enters the ring.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

BoostCreep posted:

Wooow ok that's awesome. Another contender enters the ring.

The car's name sure doesn't hurt. I always thought Plymouth names were awesome. I mean, there was someone in a marketing agency somewhere who said, "We want our customers to feel that driving this car will endow them with a burning rage boner with which they can run mere mortals off the road, all in the comfort of plush seats and the drivability of a naval destroyer at speeds in excess of infinity. What's a good word for that, gentlemen?"

And thus the Fury was born.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

You don't have to be old to be looooong. (Disregard the stupid Winter wheels, I've got proper DTS 17" chrome slicers for the other seasons)

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

meatpimp posted:

You don't have to be old to be looooong. (Disregard the stupid Winter wheels, I've got proper DTS 17" chrome slicers for the other seasons)

Sure, but where's the velour and the ashtrays in every door? You dare call yourself a barge! If your interior doesn't smell like decades old smoke you are doing it wrong.

:)

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Mike_P posted:

1970 Plymouth Sport Fury

Solid slab o' badass.

Make sure it has the paisley vinyl top. I wish my grandma never traded that car for a 2004 Chevy Malibu :barf:. It was an unreliable piece of poo poo though, the headlight mechanism broke constantly, and the car had an intermittent overheating problem from the factory that was never completely solved. It made up for it by looking badass though.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 15, 2014

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

MullardEL34 posted:

Make sure it has the paisley vinyl top. I wish my grandma never traded that car for a 2004 Chevy Malibu :barf:. It was an unreliable piece of poo poo though, the headlight mechanism broke constantly, and the car had an intermittent overheating problem from the factory that was never completely solved. It made up for it by looking badass though.

It just looks like it wants to hurt you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mike_P posted:

1970 Plymouth Sport Fury

Solid slab o' badass.

I loving love old Plymouths. Look at this dash and tell me it's not from the goddamned future.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

meatpimp posted:

Too bad I have the stock chrome 16" on my Cadillac Deville right now, I'll have to look to see if I have any pics with the 17" DTS wheels.

Modern, sure, but the last American car model to (probably ever) have a hood ornament. :colbert:

Lincoln Town Car :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blugu64 posted:

Yeah, the hood ornament only died 2 years ago.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

11BulletCatcher posted:

It just looks like it wants to hurt you.

Despite its faults I loved that car. She bought it to drive to work as a nurse in Cleveland in 1970. However, she started riding to work with a co-worker who lived nearby and did that pretty much until she retired in the late 80's. She basically only drove the car on errands and the occasional trips to visit family in other parts of NE Ohio. Grandma was, and still is, terrified of driving in snow and rain, so the car was basically rust free when she traded it on that Malibu in 2004. I wish I would have been able to buy it from her.

This is the exact same paint color/paisley vinyl top combo she had.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

blugu64 posted:

Damnit. :eng99:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
I learned to drive in a 76 Buick Estate Wagon.

Heaviest Buick ever built.

455 with a surprising amount of torque. It would surprise 4-cylinder Mustangs and V6 Camaros leaving a stop light. It also won a burnout contest at the local "undocumented" drag strip.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

I know. The Crown Vic/ Town Car/ Grand Marquis dying is the greatest American tragedy.

The only modern car I ever sat in that felt EXACTLY like a car from the 70's...

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 15, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Powershift posted:

Yeah, the hood ornament only died 2 years ago.

It finally died of old age, just like most town-car owners. :rimshot:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

only a photoshop, but a man can dream

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

only a photoshop, but a man can dream

Why photoshop?

Was a concept car first shown at the 2002 LA Auto Show.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The Ford Five Hundred Concept looks even more barge like in appearance, although it's interesting just how similar it is to the Lincoln one, which is several years older. The roof-lines are practically identical...

It would be like them to say gently caress it and just face-lift an older concept chassis, now that I think about it.

edit for broken tables

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Been lusting after this:

But I can't bring myself to buy it as I'll just end up rebuilding the motor for more power, and I need something I can drive.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

StormDrain posted:

But I can't bring myself to buy it as I'll just end up rebuilding the motor for more power, and I need something I can drive.

You'd probably have to rebuild it, anyhow. Just do it.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
It's front wheel drive and hideous. Skip it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Can I play? It's a '68 Mercury Monterey. Only 19 and a half feet long and 4300 pounds.

A bit bigger than an extended cab truck:

FE 390, x-code high compression. Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 600 cfm Performer carb with MSD6AL ignition box. Suspension has been totally redone, poly bushings everywhere with 2002 Crown Vic Police Interceptor springs and custom valved Bilsteins from Hotchkiss. 2" sway bar up front, 1 5/16" bar in back. Rebuilt factory disc brakes. The 18" M3 wheels are gone, I'm back to 15" steelies.

It handles like a newer BMW 7--no body roll, no brake dive, but it's a smooth ride.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MrSaturn posted:

It's front wheel drive and hideous. Skip it.

It's beautiful and has no hump, no hump no hump no hump.

I'm holding out for a coupe Deville.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Cadillac always was second fiddle, though through attrition they had a front bench* seat longer. *(split benches count right?)

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

wallaka posted:

Can I play? It's a '68 Mercury Monterey. Only 19 and a half feet long and 4300 pounds.

That looks amazing, I actually really like the M3 wheels on it too, I usually am not a fan of modern wheels on classics but that works.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

wallaka posted:

Didn't you used to have a thread on it? I had a '69 4-door with the 390 for my first car, kinda makes me miss it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That looks amazing, I actually really like the M3 wheels on it too, I usually am not a fan of modern wheels on classics but that works.

I think the M3 wheels worked because they look kind of like the Vector wheels the General Lee had.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Poisonlizard posted:

Didn't you used to have a thread on it? I had a '69 4-door with the 390 for my first car, kinda makes me miss it.

Yeah, I had a thread, but "yeah it still drives great" is a lovely update so it fell into archives.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

You know what the best part of owning a land barge is? The EXCELLENT fuel economy!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Holy Crap look at this sweet thing:

Only 2,800 OBO!
http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4305320304.html

'79 Cougar, god drat beautiful. It's really a shame I have a girlfried and I'm moving to Manhattan soon. I have a Miata, a Fiesta ST, a Ninja 250, and a Subaru Impreza Wagon. I seriously, seriously can't get another car - but holy crap do I want a couch car :(

Help me.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Voltage posted:

Holy Crap look at this sweet thing:

Only 2,800 OBO!
http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4305320304.html

'79 Cougar, god drat beautiful. It's really a shame I have a girlfried and I'm moving to Manhattan soon. I have a Miata, a Fiesta ST, a Ninja 250, and a Subaru Impreza Wagon. I seriously, seriously can't get another car - but holy crap do I want a couch car :(

Help me.

sell everything but the ninja. the cougar is a more than acceptable winter ride. I mean sure have fun parking that in a city but its way cooler then the other three cars

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I love this thread and all these huge American monsters. I can only dream of owning one because keeping it fuelled would mean I'd have to live in it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SouthsideSaint posted:

sell everything but the ninja. the cougar is a more than acceptable winter ride. I mean sure have fun parking that in a city but its way cooler then the other three cars

bumper to bumper traffic is an entirely different experience in a land barge. Every drive feels like a highway cruise. It's impossible to feel like you're ever in a hurry when it's impossible to ever be in a hurry.

I mean, you're sitting on a couch watching other people get angry.

88h88 posted:

I love this thread and all these huge American monsters. I can only dream of owning one because keeping it fuelled would mean I'd have to live in it.

You say that like it's a compromise. If you live in the UK, the interior is probably as large as your flat.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Powershift posted:

bumper to bumper traffic is an entirely different experience in a land barge. Every drive feels like a highway cruise. It's impossible to feel like you're ever in a hurry when it's impossible to ever be in a hurry.

I mean, you're sitting on a couch watching other people get angry.
I used to drive quick, spirited, fast, whatever you want to call it. Since getting my modern land barge (2000 Grand Marquis) I'm the same way now. Everything is slower and much more calm.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Powershift posted:

You say that like it's a compromise. If you live in the UK, the interior is probably as large as your flat.

I'm not a Londoner, we live in houses bigger than closets. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I approve of this thread.

For the record, my 99 Deville has a hood ornament. The first one I had was a Concours, and it was "sportier" so it had no hood ornament, bucket seats, and a floor shifter. My current one though is a "regular" Deville so it has a little less HP, no road sensing suspension, but it does have a hood ornament, split bench, and shifter on the wheel. :D The only things I miss about the Concours were the massaging seats and rain sensing wipers which worked with some sort of voodoo magic.

Ironically, my 65 Deville does NOT have a hood ornament. Well not one that sticks up anyway, just a flat crest.

The 70s cars, while underpowered compared to my 65, do have amazing interiors though. They make both my cars look understated and bland in comparison.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Astroman posted:

I approve of this thread.

For the record, my 99 Deville has a hood ornament. The first one I had was a Concours, and it was "sportier" so it had no hood ornament, bucket seats, and a floor shifter. My current one though is a "regular" Deville so it has a little less HP, no road sensing suspension, but it does have a hood ornament, split bench, and shifter on the wheel. :D The only things I miss about the Concours were the massaging seats and rain sensing wipers which worked with some sort of voodoo magic.

Ironically, my 65 Deville does NOT have a hood ornament. Well not one that sticks up anyway, just a flat crest.

The 70s cars, while underpowered compared to my 65, do have amazing interiors though. They make both my cars look understated and bland in comparison.

There are early generation Concourse/DTS cars that did not change the interior, so front bench and column shift. I hate automatic shifters on the floor, especially where it's just there to look like the stick shift it isn't. I'd rather have another seat, a bigger storage compartment, another cup-holder, etc. I drove one of those cars, it was great. 335 HP and it hovered over the road more so than drove on it, but even though you could steer with your little finger there was still road feel in the steering, it was not numb. Great cars to find if you require something modern in your mobile sofa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

blugu64 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czYUZOlclSo

Million mile Towncar

• Locked thread