Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I've always kind of wanted one of these, I admit mainly to try and park in town and have the rear end cut off a lane of traffic, but still. I can't really think of a more comfortable sofa on wheels.

Also, I was looking up old lincolns and cadillacs the other day and found something disheartening. In 1976 Cadillac had a 500 cubic inch v8 pumping out 190 horsepower. A smidge over one liter per cylinder and that's all they could get out of it. I wonder what you could get from it nowadays if you stripped off all the smog junk and built it up right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

As Nero Danced posted:

I've always kind of wanted one of these, I admit mainly to try and park in town and have the rear end cut off a lane of traffic, but still. I can't really think of a more comfortable sofa on wheels.

Also, I was looking up old lincolns and cadillacs the other day and found something disheartening. In 1976 Cadillac had a 500 cubic inch v8 pumping out 190 horsepower. A smidge over one liter per cylinder and that's all they could get out of it. I wonder what you could get from it nowadays if you stripped off all the smog junk and built it up right.

800+HP, by the looks of things.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I want that, but stock-looking instead of murdered-out.

Speed & Class.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
Alright, I picked it up and it's registered. Here's some photos.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
God drat that is clean. How much did you snag that up for if you don't mind me asking?

pimpedlightsaber
Dec 3, 2005

11BulletCatcher posted:

I think all cars with a visible hood and anything larger than a 4 banger ought to have hood ornaments. Cheesy, sure, but they look pretty awesome when you're driving. Also, it's kind of a like a cross hair at the center of your car. Like you're aiming a gun.

I agree, that was one of the things I genuinely missed when I went from a 1988 Crown Vic to a 1998.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

IPCRESS posted:

What's wrong with the factory TBI, exactly?

Given that he has <3,000 miles on it (the condition it look to be in off the photos makes it seem unlikely that it's rolled over) and that it's a 1970's Cadillac, I don't think that he's likely to care that the mileage is measured in gallons per minute.

vvv I get that it's garbage, but if it's original, and he's a collector somewhere giving it the occasional drive, why muck with it? The argument presented is a bit like telling someone with an original blower Bentley that they should bin the original motor and running gear and replace it with an LS1 + T400 because it's superior: Technically accurate, totally misses the point.

It'll lean out and misfire at anything less than WOT, at which point it goes pig rich and starts dumping fuel.

We played with the resistance on the three sensors circuit to fool the :airquote: "computer" :airquote: into running decently once it's warmed up, but now it'll stall out if you give it any throttle before it's reached operating temp.

We're calling it fixed, as fixed as we can get it, but I would still like to see it running properly in all conditions.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I'm writing a screenplay right now that has a character who drives an evil looking 60's-70's coupe. I've been researching cars lately to find the most evil looking ones I can, and now I'm falling in love with big beautiful black boats from that era.

So far Cadillac is winning from what I've found.

'67 ElDorado:

Close second is a '67-'68 Coupe Deville

Anyone know of anything that looks more evil than these?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln Continentals?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Buick Riviera?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
It's not exactly the same, but I will never, EVER forgive myself for not buying that 1979 Lincoln Viceroy hearse when I had the chance.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

God drat that is clean. How much did you snag that up for if you don't mind me asking?

They were asking 1500, but I gave them 2000 for holding it for me.

Currently at a best buy having the 8track player reinstalled.

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 8, 2014

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
How often do the interiors smell like decades of stale cigarette smoke* when you buy these, and how do you get that stank out when they do?

*I don't know what it is but I can't look at those plush interiors and not recall that smell. It's uncanny.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rscott posted:

Lincoln Continentals?

Amazing what slamming a luxobarge and adding black wheels does to make a car look evil.

Raluek posted:

Buick Riviera?

Also a great contender. Thanks.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Another good one would be a 1971 thunderbird - complete with factory ramming prow:
http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=DA0913-164441#2

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I miss my first car, a 1976 Buick Electra Limited. Acceleration like a lazy Sunday afternoon, but man it was nice as hell, even after twenty years of neglect and half-assed repair jobs on the interior.

Sometime I wonder how hard it would be to find one with a nice body and interior, and then drop in a decent modern drivetrain, say a GM 5.3L/4L80E plus a gear vendor to boost milage. All the comfort and class of the '70s, with a 20mpg or better fuel economy.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
That's a B-body, so while not as popular as the A and F bodies, there are kits. Not sure if anyone makes headers for that application, but people have done that swap before into Impalas and such. The 4L80E might not fit very well, though. I think they're bigger than the 700R4/4L60E?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

BoostCreep posted:

Close second is a '67-'68 Coupe Deville

Honestly, I think you nailed it with this. As much as I absolutely love the '60s Continental, it's overdone. Assuming your protagonist (antagonist?) is a loaner, he really only needs a coupe. The Deville is a winner in my book.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Honestly, I think you nailed it with this. As much as I absolutely love the '60s Continental, it's overdone. Assuming your protagonist (antagonist?) is a loaner, he really only needs a coupe. The Deville is a winner in my book.

He's an antagonist and absolutely a loaner. He just needs two doors and a biiiiig trunk. Agreed on the Continental. I want something slightly different, which is why I went with the FWD Eldorado. Deville is starting to win me over though.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

1966 Olds Toronado. Bad guy's car from "The Dark Half" by Stephen King.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

As Nero Danced posted:

One thing to remember is the Caddy and Lincoln engines of that era were torque monsters. Even smogged out they were stump pullers, and at a stoplight or freeway onramp, torque is what you need. These things had real crazy highway gears in them, and the low horsepower was fine for the job. The torque overcame the gearing at low speeds.

Phy posted:

How often do the interiors smell like decades of stale cigarette smoke* when you buy these, and how do you get that stank out when they do?

*I don't know what it is but I can't look at those plush interiors and not recall that smell. It's uncanny.

It's part of the charm. If you find one with a leather interior it usually smells like grandpa :D

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

Phy posted:

Always. But I like it that way. I encourage people to smoke in my car, that smell may be a bit foul but it adds to the image of the car, for me. Makes the car smell like 70's. I mean, what the hell do I have 6 ashtrays and 4 cig lighters for if not for smoking?

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 9, 2014

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
drat this thread has me going to craigslist looking for old boats - really would love a nice comfy cruiser with plush seats and a lazy engine after driving around in my loud miata for the past year... Help me....

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

Voltage posted:

drat this thread has me going to craigslist looking for old boats - really would love a nice comfy cruiser with plush seats and a lazy engine after driving around in my loud miata for the past year... Help me....

Just make sure you keep your miata too; if you are used to that kind of ride, you may like the soft ride of the boats but you'll miss your go kart feel after a while. Still, just about any 70's car that isn't a cadillac can be had for less than 5,000, and more realistically around 2500. Ford, Buick and Olds made the boatiest boats during that era. There are also some that cross over into pony car/muscle car territory like the Bonneville and the 60's Cougars, which were based off Mustangs but with luxury items, if you want more power.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4245100194.html

You guyyyyyyyyyyyyyssssssss.
I can overhaul TH400s in my sleep too.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

If you don't buy that TODAY then you will spend the rest of your life in hell.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'm in Hell already :v:

...actually tatooine. I'd jump on it if I had 1200 laying about. I learned how to drive on a 70' deville at 15 years old. One of my favorite cars.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

This needs a good home. Too far away for me. http://tinyurl.com/qbvkaoq

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

Panaflex posted:

This needs a good home. Too far away for me. http://tinyurl.com/qbvkaoq

What's funny is that is essentially the same car as the fourth gen Cougar. Well, more accurately, the Cougar is based on the LTD II, but they're basically the same thing.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

BoostCreep posted:

He's an antagonist and absolutely a loaner. He just needs two doors and a biiiiig trunk. Agreed on the Continental. I want something slightly different, which is why I went with the FWD Eldorado. Deville is starting to win me over though.

You could throw parties in there!

Or bodies...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I remember back in the early 80s my Grandpa had the itch for a new ride and he spotted a minty 1977-ish Lincoln Town car for sale. Made a tentative deal on it, drove it home to make sure Grandma would give her blessing before he signed the paperwork. It was then he found out the back 3' stuck out of the garage.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4245100194.html

You guyyyyyyyyyyyyyssssssss.
I can overhaul TH400s in my sleep too.

drat, I'm in the IE this week. Hmm, I wonder where the hell I can park this thing back home. Not being able to impulse buy everything on Craigslist is the good/bad thing about living in the city.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

slidebite posted:

I remember back in the early 80s my Grandpa had the itch for a new ride and he spotted a minty 1977-ish Lincoln Town car for sale. Made a tentative deal on it, drove it home to make sure Grandma would give her blessing before he signed the paperwork. It was then he found out the back 3' stuck out of the garage.

Our garage can barely fit the (2003) Avalon, with the front bumper less than 3" from the wall (and back bumper barely clearing the door). The driveway is equally disappointing. The F-150 will fit if you literally park it against the garage wall - the overhead door clears the rear bumper by about an inch.

I live in a voluntary HOA (and I'm not a member - they can't do anything except shake their heads and TSK TSK) - I wonder what they'd say if I snagged a car with a trunk the size of the average house? :haw:

fake edit: from what I dug up from the HOA's website, about 10% of the subdivision actually joined the HOA. And since it's an HOA publishing those stats, I'd guess it's more like 1-3%.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

This is at my local Dodge dealer....20,000 original miles. It looks brand new.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

"The engine is done spinning at about 5600 rpm according to Sean. Factory nodular iron crank is tough as nails"

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

11BulletCatcher posted:

"The engine is done spinning at about 5600 rpm according to Sean. Factory nodular iron crank is tough as nails"

poo poo, I shift at 4200 in my Ford, maybe 5200 if I'm really trying to wind it out (and I've only done that once). Although it's making a whopping 146HP, and is mechanically pretty much stock.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

I'm just surprised, I figured at that high a top speed it ought to be spinning much faster. I mean, 176 MPH in a 4200 pound turbo monster?

(also, it's cool he's still running the factory crank too.)

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 11, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What is the opinion of the old buick 350? Grandpa had one in his 79 LeSabre and it is probably fond childhood memories, but I recall that car having quite a bit of power for its size.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

I don't know about the late 70's buick 350 but every story I've ever heard says that of the GM 350's Buicks made the most torque. But that's only anecdotal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_P
Aug 4, 2006

"I dunnoooow"

BoostCreep posted:

1970 Plymouth Sport Fury

Solid slab o' badass.

• Locked thread