Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's likely a 351M since it's a 77, but I seem to remember Cleveland intake and exhaust manifolds bolting on to the M heads.

* Disclaimer: I haven't owned a 351M since 1998; those parts of my brain are covered in cobwebs, marijuana resin, and creepy clown avatars.

Mighty Horse posted:

Factory CB....how awesome is that?

At one time, my step-grandfather had a late 70s Cadillac boat of some sort with a factory CB. Pretty sure it was an Eldorado, but not 100% on that.

Glad to see this thread! I was hoping to pick up a 70s land yacht for a project sometime next summer, should give some ideas at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mighty Horse posted:

Usually a cam and carb swap will work wonders. An upgrade to a modern electronic ignition will help it run better and more reliably, as many of these cars dabbled with all kinds of different ignition setups that were good ideas, but the technology wasn't up to snuff yet.

Here is a great write up on the 351M.

That already has a pretty decent ignition system, at least in terms of reliability - Ford DuraSpark II. It's a solid system, though it doesn't hurt to keep a spare module on hand. I learned the hard way that they die with zero warning - my 80 F-150 actually had factory mounts for two modules. :haw: The original one crapped out on a hot day, but would still work once it cooled off, so I kept it as a spare after I picked up a replacement (the original lasted 18 years, so...)

My first car was almost a G body sedan - friend's grandmother had stopped driving and had left her mid 80s Olds Cutlass (maybe it was a Delta? this was ~20 years ago...) rotting in the driveway. Friend would take it out now and then and pick me up and do a few Italian tuneups; it was gutless as hell, but it was like riding on a couch with wheels and an engine. Not quite a land yacht, but close enough.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 7, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I drove it plenty, along with said friend's 73 Nova with a bunch of :10bux: into the driveline. Along with his late 60s beetle.

The Nova was scary fun, if you sneezed at the go pedal below about 60 it would just boil the tires. Mid 12 second streetable car with ice cold a/c, power steering, badass stereo, and a full (new) interior? :getin: The VW was just annoying to drive, more because I'd never driven stick before trying to drive it. It also loved to die at random.

No turning radius in the Olds, no power, lovely brakes, but it had a Mafia trunk, couches for seats, and could comfortably seat 7. And it was more reliable than the VW. :haw:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

I remember back in the early 80s my Grandpa had the itch for a new ride and he spotted a minty 1977-ish Lincoln Town car for sale. Made a tentative deal on it, drove it home to make sure Grandma would give her blessing before he signed the paperwork. It was then he found out the back 3' stuck out of the garage.

Our garage can barely fit the (2003) Avalon, with the front bumper less than 3" from the wall (and back bumper barely clearing the door). The driveway is equally disappointing. The F-150 will fit if you literally park it against the garage wall - the overhead door clears the rear bumper by about an inch.

I live in a voluntary HOA (and I'm not a member - they can't do anything except shake their heads and TSK TSK) - I wonder what they'd say if I snagged a car with a trunk the size of the average house? :haw:

fake edit: from what I dug up from the HOA's website, about 10% of the subdivision actually joined the HOA. And since it's an HOA publishing those stats, I'd guess it's more like 1-3%.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

angryhampster posted:

This is at my local Dodge dealer....20,000 original miles. It looks brand new.

With 20k original miles, it's going to need every seal, tire, brake line, hose... basically anything and everything that's made of rubber. Along with a carb rebuild, fuel pump, and the gas tank and lines likely have tons of varnish.

Cars, like people, need regular exercise.

Sure is pretty though! and has a 5 digit odometer anyway, who knows if it's really 120k.. or 220k.. and just really well loved?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That Mazda Scion behind it really makes you realize just how massive it is. :stare:

e: :downs:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 6, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

That's an FR-S.

Unless you mean the red mustang, and completely missed the scion.

But really, it's wider than an f-150

:doh:

It looks... surprised.. next to the F-150.

Seeing the picture with it next to the Subaru really makes me realize just how small newer garages are (or maybe it's just a regional thing?). Our F-150 has to have the front bumper against the wall for the door to close, and that's leaving less than an inch between the rear bumper and overhead door. The Avalon is similar.

That car is a work of art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Find a tow guy who's worked in repo or impound stuff, they'll have it loaded up and out of the lot before you can even blink.

• Locked thread