Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is it better than the puppet episode? That's all I need to know

That's such a low bar, you can't even trip over it. Except maybe the season 4 finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Between the takes episode 10 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCr8h3TE_tc

I found it funny how different the cast's opinions on filming a bottle episode were. Danny and Alison seemed to enjoy it while others really hate it.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Batmasterson posted:

I found it funny how different the cast's opinions on filming a bottle episode were. Danny and Alison seemed to enjoy it while others really hate it.

Well if you're claustrophobic, i can kinda see why.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah this was a good episode but shooting it inside the apartment must've been really annoying. It visually felt a lot more cramped than Remedial Chaos Theory somehow.

The one thing about the original D&D episode is that even though it was a bottle episode, the study room is so huge that you can still do some cinematic looking camera moves and that was a huge part of why I loved it.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Batmasterson posted:

the cut take with britta explaining her stats was pretty great.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Why is the Jim Rash Rap Between The Takes thing the only one that isn't region free? :(

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Jim Rash has been on top form these past few episodes.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Pyronic posted:

the cut take with britta explaining her stats was pretty great.

A ranger needs at least 14 constitution! :colbert:

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

Why is the Jim Rash Rap Between The Takes thing the only one that isn't region free? :(

Music rights issues. The Dean is actually huge in the Antarctica scene so rights are a mess.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

Thou must use thine magic spell of location displacement!

:science: Mordenkainen's Hotlink

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
What was hanging on the wall behind David Cross when they were in the separate room? It was like a backlit box with what looked like circuit components arranged on it. Is that from something earlier in the show, or what was that?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Watommi posted:

What was hanging on the wall behind David Cross when they were in the separate room? It was like a backlit box with what looked like circuit components arranged on it. Is that from something earlier in the show, or what was that?

I remember seeing it during the gas leak year.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

Watommi posted:

I thought it was all the levels from some kind of game. It looked like a top down view of different maps to me; pretty cool. Would love to know more also.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Maybe.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I've now seen all of Season 4 except for the finale, and maybe that ruins everything, but so far it this season was perfectly fine. The first half was a little slow and boring but in my opinion everything from Herstory of Dance onward was pretty good.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Just to be clear, you're saying you liked the puppet episode? :gonk:

I actually agree that most of the season was "fine," I probably would've kept watching this season even if the new showrunners continued because I don't quit shows that often, but it wasn't as good as season 5 or season 3. I'm now kind of excited to see new episodes again.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Puppet episode wasn't bad, but not a lot happened in it so it wasn't great.

Still, puppets.

Pierce didn't have sex with Eartha Kitt though? Not canon.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

ladyboy pancake posted:

I've now seen all of Season 4 except for the finale, and maybe that ruins everything, but so far it this season was perfectly fine. The first half was a little slow and boring but in my opinion everything from Herstory of Dance onward was pretty good.

I don't think anyone could like the finale of season 4, even if you do like season 4.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

We found a way to make paintball cool again. :obama:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Personperson14 posted:

I don't think anyone could like the finale of season 4, even if you do like season 4.

I thought the puppet episode was worse than the finale.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I don't get the puppet episode hate. Like, it wasn't joke heavy I get that, but it wasn't outright bad. Also, puppets! :3:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The puppet episode is amazing in that I can't think of a single thing about it that isn't totally contrived. They had no idea what to do with that gimmick.

e: I don't even hate the songs, the plot of that episode is just loving abysmal.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

swickles posted:

I don't get the puppet episode hate. Like, it wasn't joke heavy I get that, but it wasn't outright bad. Also, puppets! :3:

It just completely failed to deliver... anything? It's practically a gap in my memory.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Pick posted:

It just completely failed to deliver... anything? It's practically a gap in my memory.

I thought Sarah Bareilles was pretty good!

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I never saw the finale, what was so bad about it?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Beeez posted:

Just watch it, there's really no words for it. Pretty much the worst episode of the show.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Beeez posted:

It's a paintball episode that nobody asked for or wanted.

And the whole thing revolved around Abed's Darkest Timeline which I hated once it became a plot point and not just a one-off joke.

But ended up taking place in Jeff's head somehow.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

1st AD posted:

It's a paintball episode that nobody asked for or wanted.

And the whole thing revolved around Abed's Darkest Timeline which I hated once it became a plot point and not just a one-off joke.

But ended up taking place in Jeff's head somehow.

It wasn't even a paintball episode is the thing.

What made paintball work is that the three paintball episodes work as small scale action movies. They also transform Greendale to a greater extent than pretty much any other high concept episodes other than maybe Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas and the upcoming animated one. A paintball episode is a big spectacle that transforms Greendale more than any previous episode, and it'd be a huge disappointment if it didn't.

It wasn't a paintball episode. It was just the "Evil" study group and paintball guns and a guy that was clearly originally intended to be Alan and a whole bunch of other stuff piled on in the vain hope that it would somehow add up to a decent finale. It was the epitome of Season Four's cargo cult approach to recreating Harmon's version of Community.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Republican Vampire posted:

It wasn't even a paintball episode is the thing.

What made paintball work is that the three paintball episodes work as small scale action movies. They also transform Greendale to a greater extent than pretty much any other high concept episodes other than maybe Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas and the upcoming animated one. A paintball episode is a big spectacle that transforms Greendale more than any previous episode, and it'd be a huge disappointment if it didn't.

It wasn't a paintball episode. It was just the "Evil" study group and paintball guns and a guy that was clearly originally intended to be Alan and a whole bunch of other stuff piled on in the vain hope that it would somehow add up to a decent finale. It was the epitome of Season Four's cargo cult approach to recreating Harmon's version of Community.

Who is Alan?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Rob Corddry's character.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Episode was okay. Best part is that Abed uses the same dice I've had since 7th grade.

Kristofenpheiffer
Sep 12, 2004
The Hemogoblin
The puppet episode only works at all in the context of the gas leak. Thank god for Dan Harmon or whoever came up with that retcon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

EnsGDT posted:

Episode was okay. Best part is that Abed uses the same dice I've had since 7th grade.

Yea, I have those too. I have a stupid amount of dice. I preferred my glittery red or blue ones to the solid yellow ones though. Love that they used 2nd Ed books, because I have a poo poo ton of them in a box in my parents basement.

It shows how bad and forgettable those episodes were because I had no memory of a puppet episode.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kristofenpheiffer posted:

The puppet episode only works at all in the context of the gas leak. Thank god for Dan Harmon or whoever came up with that retcon.

I guess the original suggestion of "they got raped so hard they hallucinated a year" wasn't very palatable.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Kristofenpheiffer posted:

Now I wanna re watch season 4 imagining everyone going crazy from a gas leak. Thanks! (not really)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I have never played Dungeons and Dragons before, is the way they play in the show representative in any way of the actual game? I mean, I know there are some liberties to create the strife like Pierce going rogue and Hank trying to sabotage it and what not. Also, does it require a crazy amount of knowledge to get a foothold into? The show actually makes it seem like an easy and fun game. I never got into D&D mainly because it seemed like you need an encyclopedic knowledge of the game and to find enough people with the same knowledge.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

swickles posted:

I have never played Dungeons and Dragons before, is the way they play in the show representative in any way of the actual game? I mean, I know there are some liberties to create the strife like Pierce going rogue and Hank trying to sabotage it and what not. Also, does it require a crazy amount of knowledge to get a foothold into? The show actually makes it seem like an easy and fun game. I never got into D&D mainly because it seemed like you need an encyclopedic knowledge of the game and to find enough people with the same knowledge.
D&D's not a good game if you're trying to get into roleplaying games for the first time, simply because it is so mechanics-heavy and it rewards knowledge of the system. There also tend to be a lot of trap options and ways to cripple your character at the outset. But the group you play with is more important than the system, so find a group you like and play whatever they're playing to start with.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

Who is Alan?

Alan is the evil lawyer played by Rob Corddry. He's the one who cost Jeff his job.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

swickles posted:

Depends on the group, really. Some people play a very rules focused game where using system mastery to craft the optimal combat-focused character is alpha and omega while others care more about storylines and roleplaying.

Most are somewhere in between and there's usually that one guy who knows all the rules by heart anyway so the other players don't have to learn them in detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
D&D is also heavily dependent on the Dungeon Master. If you are playing with a bunch of n00bs, or even one n00b, you should keep it simple and fairly basic. A nice graph paper dungeon with basic traps and monsters. Stuff low level characters can handle monster wise or traps that are not terribly complex.

D&D is pretty hardcore though. In 2nd ed, which they are playing, you rolled a random dices worth of hit points. Each class had its own dice. Fighters got the most, with a d10, Clerics and rangers got d8, rogues d6 and wizards got d4. So you easily could have a character that is meant to stand in front of everyone with a sword and hack people to death that can die if they get a papercut. I think everyone always used the house rule "you get the max possible HP for your class" because otherwise no one played mages because having 2 hp was not very fun when there were things that "everyone takes 1 hp damage, no saves" in intro adventures.

And yea, David Cross played the sterotype of the problem player, the person that in any RPG group would just exist to gently caress everything up. He'd be the one who the DM would discribe an obvious trap, and they'd pick up the golden pickle off its dias and start a indiana jones big rock rolling towards you. The worst though where the guys who played Malkavians in Vampire. Malkavians were a type of Vampire that were supposed to be mad. Now good players could have a lot of fun with that, and it had a thing where they didn't see the world like everyone else and they would give insight that no one else would. But the problem player would always doing random, stupid and annoying poo poo.

The vampire hunters are looking for you make a roll for stealth
I'm going to start singing the theme song from Alf!

Actual thing that happened in a game I played.

• Locked thread