Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think both the dean and prof. Hickey could have added to this episode. Pierce getting pissed about his replacement from beyond the grave would have been hilarious, as would the potential to give the dean a vial of sperm and/or call out all his character flaws and past transgressions

Did the Dean and Pierce really ever interact in a meaningful way? Maybe I'm forgetting something but it made perfect sense to give the Dean this episode off - his character is one that can suffer from overexposure if they aren't careful. As for Hickey, this episode was about the group's history and he just would have been dead weight (the character, not Johnathan Banks who I wish was my grandpa.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

God drat this episode was good in every way. The whole Duncan/Jeff/Britta storyline was an awesome callback to season 1 and very funny all around. It was also a relief to see someone give Abed some boundaries after 5 seasons, and the dialogue between Abed and Banks could only have been done by Harmon. More of this, less the floor is lava lol random please.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

:shrug:

Maybe I just like different aspects of Community than you do. You like childish antics, tired catchphrases and pointless wackiness. I like interesting, multifaceted characters, word play and genre subversion. Neither of us is wrong in enjoying the aspects that we enjoy and just because an episode leans too heavily on pointless wackiness (or, on the other hand, deep character study) doesn't mean the series overall isn't for me (or you).

If you're going to try to pull the "no wrong way to enjoy this product" schtick to make yourself appear reasonable, maybe don't veneer it with "but your way of enjoyment is childish, tired, and pointless".

Community has really been on a roll with these last few episodes. Jeff's classist comedy routine, true to reality down to the bleeped swear, was just perfect. The episode would have been worth it just to hear Banks enunciate 'MeowMeowBeenz', but I really wish this somehow could have been stretched to 30-40 minutes. A lot of it felt rushed, but they still hit their notes.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Yeah, having been roped into playing Atmosfear before, if nothing else this episode nailed the absurdity of these games.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Scholtz posted:

Looks like the rap wasn't completely unscripted/freestyle :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puDSF0pOSoo

Who cares? It was still awesome and Rash still nailed it.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

I loved the first D&D episode and this one just felt like an unnecessary rehash.

The emotional stakes felt a lot more high-stakes in the first D&D episode. They were literally trying to keep a kid from committing suicide. It really mattered that Pierce was loving with the game, because Neal's emotional stability and maybe, life was at stake. In this episode, who cares about Hickey's run-of-the-mill family drama?

In addition, the "in-game" gags were mostly just second-rate rehashes of the first episode, and the D&D in-jokes (if they matter, which they don't) were way worse. Nothing beats Pierce cheating by reading the sourcebook, I'm sure that came directly from Harmon's experience with the game. In this episode we got... ragging on Hobgoblins? Yeah, you tell them Jeff.

Everything the Dean did was funny, although I wish they would have just left the "I rub the hilt while you rub the blade" joke alone instead of running it into the ground.

gently caress it, I'm watching the original episode tonight.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

If you've seen one children's show created to be licensed out for a zillion toys, lunchboxes, etc. you've seen them all. If you weren't old enough for G.I. Joe, you'll remember Power Rangers or Pokemon which a lot of the gags in the last episode could have easily applied to.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Last Chance posted:

Season 3 was just fine in my book. It gave us Remedial Chaos Theory, Pillows and Blankets, and Basic Lupine Urology. Great stuff. The rest of the season varied in quality, but was still good television.

Annie's Move and Britta/Blade episodes I'd also put among the most enjoyable in the series. Also, I feel like the Ocean's Eleven episode would have been remembered more fondly if it wasn't rushed out at the same time as the video game episode and the finale.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 14, 2014

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

I love Community and I still feel like it was time. Season 5 had several excellent episodes but it mostly felt like it was running on empty even with Harmon in charge. It's for the best, as the remaining cast is uber-talented and this will free them up for other great roles, and Harmon can focus more on self-destructing or Rick and Morty or whatever he's doing now.

As for remembering the show, I'll just pretend the Season 3 montage was the end. Holy cow was the season 5 finale a terrible series finale.

R.I.P. Community, watch Rick and Morty.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Majorian posted:

I don't think you can blame that on Harmon. The show suffered some major blows - season 4 really did suck and the show had to narratively dig its way out, Donald Glover left, and I'm sure the NBC execs were riding Harmon and the other writers pretty hard. The fact that they managed to still roll with the punches and pull out a pretty funny season is testament to how good they are. I think a season 6 would have been a return to form.

I didn't blame it on Harmon, I said "even with Harmon in charge". The Pierce episode, the Duncan/Britta episode, and Meow Meow Beenz are some of my favorite episodes of the series. The lack of Troy really did hurt the second half of the season, I agree. They were also fighting the demon every aging sitcom fights, coming up with original material that still fits in the context of the show. Many of the episodes felt like retreads, because they were in a lot of ways, but that's just the reality of a show which has already mined enough material for 80+ self-contained episodes.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

CaptainHollywood posted:

Season 4's finale was so much worse. Or do you forget, "We made paintball cool again" :iamafag:

Yes, it was terrible, but at least there weren't any expectations based on the rest of Season 4. And honestly, the season 3 finale actually wasn't that great as a whole, but the montage was so fantastic I can forgive the rest.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Let's all just sit back and reminisce about how good season 2 was.

God drat, season 2 was really good.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This isn't even an opinion.

Depending on tastes you could switch 1 and 3 for some people, but 2-1-3-5-4 is where I'm at as well.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier; every single week we were having people posting the exact same thing: 'oh my god, guys, Community is back'. A few mediocre episodes at the end and suddenly they've all forgotten.

The first two episodes of the season were really promising and exciting because they set up a compelling storyline for the whole of the season, which they didn't end up delivering on at all. So those two look a lot worse in retrospect.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

The season premier was always pretty bad.

I liked it at the time.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah and the following eight episodes after that of fantastic stuff with near everyone in this thread loving the show and everything mean absolutely nothing in the face of three mediocre ones at the end.

In my opinion the middle of the season was not some amazing run either. I loved the Pierce episode, the Duncan/Britta + Abed/Hickey episode, and Meow Meow Beenz. Other than that:

G.I. Jeff told a good story but took way too long rehashing satire of 80's cartoons which has been done better a million times.
Dungeons and Dragons and Floor is Lava missed on both the humor and sentiment for me, and felt like/were rehashes.
rear end-Crack Bandit was a worse rehash of the Law and Order ep from S3.
The episode with the guest stars was rushed and pointless.
The VCR game episode was funny in parts.

Still with all that, it's leaps and bounds ahead of S4 and pretty close in average quality to S3, from where I sit.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 11, 2014

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Victor Vermis posted:

This implies that the Law and Order parody was bad.

Which is wrong, of course, because they nailed it. Even Shirley was used brilliantly.

I guess I didn't word that perfectly, but it's obvious my intent was to say rear end-Crack Bandit was both worse than the Law & Order episode and a re-hash of it. I loved the S3 Law and Order episode and I agree they nailed it.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

I too. :smith:

Agreed. The "tied up" thing is asinine. Heck, Brie was even doing vodka commercials. I'd LOVE to drink vodka with her. :)

It's not asinine, and I'm not trying to come across as pissy, but you apparently are having trouble thinking in anything but black and white. Community was a significant time investment for the actors, writers, and staff. Do they have time for other things alongside it? Of course. But time is not infinite, and Community being canceled absolutely frees up time on their busy schedule.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Glover will never, ever come back.

HOLY poo poo GUYS DON GLOVER IS A GOON

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, the one that ends with "that character you spent three great years with accidentally and grotesquely masturbated to death haha end credits". This isn't Rick and Morty, like goddamn.

(Plus while he got some nice parting words for characters through Walton Goggins, he had no real goodbye for Aybed and that kinda sucks.)

Pierce was crude, petty, unapologetic, and just tried way too hard to be relevant. He got an extremely Pierce-like send-off. A " heartfelt" ending for Pierce would have been awful.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Eh, it doesn't seem like too dickish a response to me. Just kind of upfront. I did like him calling out the "Six seasons and a movie" meme. Mainly because I hate how ever-present it is now.
Every time I hear it I laugh because its the only thing relevant to The Cape still in existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Am I the only one who was super disappointed and is now super worried?

I didn't think any of that was funny (okay, that's not true, the exchanged look at "New Shirley" was a laugh) and it looked like some season 4 level wackiness for the sake of wackiness. Keith David didn't seem to fit the vibe and Abed said a Big Bang Theory catchphrase. There wasn't any sign of the characterisation I like or anything super interesting. The mid-season 3 trailer was way more interesting than this. :smith:

And why the gently caress is a TRAILER region locked?!
This is definitely a positive but...hrmmmmmmmm...

It's a trailer. It's not supposed to blow all of the jokes, and everything's out of context anyway.

• Locked thread