Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Koalas March posted:

What's wrong with you?

Idk why everyone in this thread says he'd have no hip hop career without community. All the kids I know that listen to childish gambino are black kids like me and none of them watch community. It really seems like white hipsters are just mad at him for leaving. Dude had a career beyond/before community.

I think it's less about him leaving Community and more about him leaving comedy. I mean he was one of the funnier and more interesting writers on 30 Rock and he was in Derrick Comedy before he was really on anyone's radar when it comes to rap. That doesn't invalidate him as an artist, although I think that his last disc was kind of bad, but it does mean that comedy nerds feel a sense of ownership that's exacerbated by the real lack of respect for comedy as a medium. It seems like a comic is abandoning comedy for something that seems more legitimate, and that automatically puts people on the defensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

Something I didn't realize about the Cooperative Polygraphy episode - who owns https://www.prenatalpatriots.org

It turns out that Sony Pictures does.

WHOIS info right here: http://whois.net/whois/prenatalpatriots.org

Probably smart to register that pre-emptively, so that a fan couldn't register it right when the episode airs.

However, if they don't make a prenatal army soon, I will be sorely disappointed. Fetuses, attack!

That's actually a pretty standard move for fictional URLs. NBC's usual practice is to make them redirect to the show's page. I think it's for legal reasons, to shield the show from appearing to endorse a site.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Volume posted:

His schedule? What else is he doing?

The Daily Show, his new HBO talk show, and his podcast which has to get recorded at weird-rear end hours because his co-host lives in the UK.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Steve Vader posted:

They actually had Shirley comment on her lack of focus. I would guess that means she's got something coming up.

I hope so! Yvette Nicole Brown is probably the most underused member of the cast. That said, I do get what Harmon meant when he commented about being uncomfortable writing for her because she and Shirley are so far removed from him in terms of experience.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Didn't they have quite a few more female writers during season 1?

IIRC a Sony exec insisted that they aim for gender parity in the writers' room in season 1, but she's since left.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Season 3 had Remedial Chaos Theory, Advanced Gay, Documentary Filmmaking: Redux, Pillows and Blankets, Basic Lupine Urology, and Curriculum Unavailable. Those are amongst the best episodes the show's ever done both in terms of comedy, genre parody stuff and, in some cases, characterization. Sure, the season also had a ton of total crap, mostly related to the Chang arc plot, but I don't think that negates the highs.

Also season 3 is interesting because it combines "Pointless Wackiness" with character studies in its best episodes, thus proving that Irish Joe is yet again making an idiotic false dichotomy.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

1st AD posted:

It's a paintball episode that nobody asked for or wanted.

And the whole thing revolved around Abed's Darkest Timeline which I hated once it became a plot point and not just a one-off joke.

But ended up taking place in Jeff's head somehow.

It wasn't even a paintball episode is the thing.

What made paintball work is that the three paintball episodes work as small scale action movies. They also transform Greendale to a greater extent than pretty much any other high concept episodes other than maybe Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas and the upcoming animated one. A paintball episode is a big spectacle that transforms Greendale more than any previous episode, and it'd be a huge disappointment if it didn't.

It wasn't a paintball episode. It was just the "Evil" study group and paintball guns and a guy that was clearly originally intended to be Alan and a whole bunch of other stuff piled on in the vain hope that it would somehow add up to a decent finale. It was the epitome of Season Four's cargo cult approach to recreating Harmon's version of Community.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

Who is Alan?

Alan is the evil lawyer played by Rob Corddry. He's the one who cost Jeff his job.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

swickles posted:

I have never played Dungeons and Dragons before, is the way they play in the show representative in any way of the actual game? I mean, I know there are some liberties to create the strife like Pierce going rogue and Hank trying to sabotage it and what not. Also, does it require a crazy amount of knowledge to get a foothold into? The show actually makes it seem like an easy and fun game. I never got into D&D mainly because it seemed like you need an encyclopedic knowledge of the game and to find enough people with the same knowledge.

Dungeons and Dragons is an incredibly terrible game. I initially wrote more words but it really breaks down to that

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Steve Vader posted:

I think it is weird that Abed is the only one rolling dice. Players are supposed to roll their own dice.

Actually in many groups and games, players don't roll their own dice. My books are currently in storage, but if I'm remembering right, at least one edition of AD&D and the original D&D were written based on the assumption that players would only roll during character creation, which is why generating stats mostly involves d6s. The assumption was that the only set of gaming dice a group would have is the one that came in the box.

More recent editions recommend that the DM roll things like search and spot rolls because failure would tip players off.

nutranurse posted:

I've always loved the idea of DnD, but never the kind of people who play it. So I'd just end up reading the rulebooks and faffing about. :(

D&D is a terrible game. Play something fun like Geist, Fiasco or Paranoia instead. Fiasco's probably the easiest one to get normal people to play because it's got a bit of a party game atmosphere going on and the genre (It's inspired by Coen Brothers films) is an easier sell.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

You must have lovely friends to play it with, because the one game of it that I've ever played was a lot of fun.

No, I've just played other games that are better mechanically and have cooler premises. D&D's overcomplicated for the sake of being overcomplicated, and Monte Cook is a huge dick who actively set out to gently caress with new players while working on third edition by implementing build traps. Seriously, there are trap options in it just so that min/maxing dorks can be "rewarded" for being min/maxing dorks.

Next might be okay, I guess? Haven't played it but I hear it's p. cool.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

If you're not playing with min/maxing dorks, how would that effect you?

Because the traps are still built into the feat, spell and equipment systems?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Fair enough. If I recall, our DM avoided 3e because it wasn't newbie-friendly, I seem to recall him talking about how they ruined the feat system... I think we were playing 2 or 2.5.

AD&D 2? It's also got some problems. Anything other than combat and dungeon diving is pretty crudely bolted onto what is still, in its heart, a war game so you get Non-Weapon Proficiencies which are nonsensical or redundant. Plus it's got weird-rear end counter-intuitive mechanics like THAC0. But it's more fun than 3/3.5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I know that Irish Joe is bad at understanding things, but the average age of a community college student is around 30, most of them work full time, and most of them have at least one kid.

Community colleges are different from major universities... if only the show had acknowledged it in a comic monologue in the pilot about how community colleges hew to a much wider crowd in terms of age and life experience...

• Locked thread