Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
Eh I thought it was great. And I hope they get a season six because I'll enjoy that as well, and because it amuses me when people say they want a show to be canceled just because they aren't enjoying it. Very selfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
Well that stinks.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Popcorn posted:

I used to be of the opinion that "the suits" and network execs were all evil and didn't know great art when they saw it etc tc, but in recent years I've come to think they know a lame show when they see one. I hope Community doesn't get zombified into some godawful new thing like Arrested Development was. (cue a billion people insisting AD Season 4 didn't suck >>>)

Now this is the sort of thing I just don't understand. I mean, I get it that you apparently didn't like it, and that's fine, it's all opinion and people like different things. But not wanting it to come back just because you aren't enjoying it is just such a child's attitude. Well I don't like thing, so no one should get thing! I didn't particularly care for the new Arrested Development, but I know plenty of people did so what does it really matter? If Community finds a new way to air episodes, maybe they'll be good, maybe they'll be poo poo, either way it's pretty certain that at least one person will enjoy them and that doesn't hurt you in any way.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
I would say this logic applies to every tv show ever aired.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

verybad posted:

This is the kind of attitude that leads to TV shows shambling on way past the point where they stopped being remotely interesting or relevant. It's good talent being wasted on bad shows, it's new interesting ideas not being given a chance because there's still a drop of blood left in a desiccated husk, it's people watching same god awful poo poo year after year not being confronted with anything new or interesting, because change is scary. Learn to let go, apparently even children know how so maybe it's time you figured it out as well.

Turn on your tv and how many options are you presented with? Hundreds if not thousands. Streaming services are putting out more and more content every day. Keeping a show going isn't hurting any of that. If you don't like it, all you have to do is not watch. If a show not being the best show ever hurts your delicate sensibilities, I genuinely feel sorry for you.

But as I said, and maybe I should have tried explain this a little simpler, opinions are different for everyone. A show that's not interesting or relevant to you, is getting enjoyed by someone else right now. Interesting ideas are being thought up as we speak, if Community was given another 12 or 20 episodes, it's not going to kill those ideas.

If you only watch something because of a set of arbitrary guidelines, good for you. You are not everyone. People do things for different reasons. Most children eventually learn that fact, maybe it's your turn?

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

XboxPants posted:

It is if it's tying up talented people that could be doing something else that you might like. Yeah, It's totally selfish to ask for a show that other people are enjoying just because you wanna see Dan Harmor/Gillian Jacobs/etc working on something else, but there is, in fact, something to be potentially gained.

You're right. Alison Brie isn't working on Mad Men, Joel McHale doesn't have The Soup and whatever other E! shows he works on, Gillian Jacobs hasn't been in several movies during the shows run.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

verybad posted:

Hundreds if not thousands of shows that are complete and utter poo poo, with a few rare gems here and there. A show being poo poo doesn't hurt me, but it doesn't interest me either and I don't see the value in practices that lead to such a sorry state of affairs. You seem a little confused: I'm not upset, but I am somewhat amused by you throwing a tantrum about how people are reacting to the news of a TV show well past its prime getting canceled.

People do things for lots of reasons, that doesn't make the reasons valid or the things good. There's all sorts of compulsive hoarders, addicts, etc. who engage in pathological and unhealthy behaviour, but I don't feel the need to endorse that behaviour just because technically yeah everyone's got a right to live however the gently caress they want as long as they're not hurting others. Now, liking poo poo TV isn't exactly pathological, but the same principle applies. So sorry that the show you liked got canceled, but buddy there ain't poo poo you can do about it except accept it, move on and rationalize for yourself how it was actually for the best that things turned out this way.

I neither said you were upset nor am I throwing a tantrum, but you do seem confused about something. I mean, if you think that there's that big a similarity between mental disorders and not seeing the harm in a television show continuing that people enjoy, I don't really see what point there is to having any further discussion.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Saint Drogo posted:

This is the most hilariously pissy reaction to the nutso idea that bad things should be cancelled.

Yes, pointing out that opinions are subjective and people enjoy different things. How pissy.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Lord Of Texas posted:

It's not asinine, and I'm not trying to come across as pissy, but you apparently are having trouble thinking in anything but black and white. Community was a significant time investment for the actors, writers, and staff. Do they have time for other things alongside it? Of course. But time is not infinite, and Community being canceled absolutely frees up time on their busy schedule.

I get this, I absolutely do, I don't think they've had a hard time fitting in other projects around the Community schedule but I also don't know if they've had to turn anything down due to it. So it does work both ways, which you're totally right. There also isn't any guarantee there's more work out there for them, plenty of people do one big project and are done completely. Take Danny Pudi for example, I just looked through his IMDB and the only things I can remember him being in are Community, Knights of Badassdom, and that phone commercial where they talk about butt dialing. I like that these actors I enjoy in a show were getting a steady and somewhat reliable paycheck.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

XboxPants posted:

No see, Allison Brie was vodka commercials and doing a supporting part on four or five episodes of Mad Men a year, therefore Community doesn't tie up any of the actors' time. He'll be able to do both.

Days later and you're still fighting the good fight despite being objectively wrong. If nothing else I commend your commitment.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

XboxPants posted:

They obviously had enough time to do some other things. Supporting roles, a movie here and there. But just because it doesn't take up 100% of their time, doesn't it takes up 0% of their time. It's not a black & white scenario here. An actor doing one full-time TV show commitment doesn't really have time to do a second one. Now they have enough time to enter another full-time commitment and big surprise, we're already hearing about McHale doing so.

There's also no guarantee of any other offers. So like I said, I'm happy that people I enjoyed watching were getting regularly paid. Also sure, McHale already has another job and that's awesome, someone mentioned Gillian Jacobs getting more comedy roles and I think that's fairly likely, Alison Brie has been working on other projects during the show and I assume will continue to after. Those three people have something fairly useful in common. What about Yvette Nichole Brown? Danny Pudi? There's a movie coming out called Million Dollar Arm about Indian guys getting a shot to pitch in baseball. What's the poster? Jon Hamm. I guess I just don't see the harm in supporting the work these people are actually doing rather than hypothetical work that may never exist.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

MrAristocrates posted:

YNB is way too talented to not land a sitcom gig somewhere.

You'd think so, but look at Oscar winner Lupita Nyong'o. Maybe it will change soon but at this point after 12 Years A Slave she has had a role in Non-Stop apparently (anyone have an idea of how big?) and then she's listed for two pre-production movies. One of those is only rumored and the other she is doing a voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
I legitimately thought The Soup was on five days a week since it seems to be on tv all day everyday, so I apologize to everyone I argued about in regards to people working two shows. I'm dumb and wrong as always.

• Locked thread