Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Brock Samson posted:

Am I the only one distracted by Joel's really thick tie?

I'm distracted by the thick makeup slathered on his face. His face looks way too smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I know I'll be torn apart in this thread for voicing this opinion, but . . .

Holy crap, those were awful. Really awful. I didn't even smile once.

I mean, did Troy suffer brain damage? Or has he always been that stupid? "You faked a robot fight?"

It looks like they had one chance to redeem Pierce, but they threw it away for "Is that gay" joke?

The Nic Cage class felt like a plot straight out of season 4. And then they referenced the far more successful "Who's the Boss?" class, reminding you that they've done this before, and better. It should have been a throw away joke, not a plotline.

And ending the first episode on a fart joke? I though Harmon would be better than that.

Well, at least Parks and Rec is back next week.

And seriously, what was up with McHale's face? Did he get work done? It looks like someone to a smoothing tool to the footage.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Interestingly enough, "trying too hard" would be exactly how I would describe last night's episodes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

Yeah. I skipped season 4, but I'm hoping it acted as a warning to the current writers to reverse that trend.

I don't know, the Dean used the word "dean" like a dozen times in thirty second speech.

And they've pretty much confirmed the season four bit with him being in love with Jeff. (and not in a covert way).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Catsplosion posted:

This is a show about people at a community college. What did you expect?

A show about people in a community college?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I thought the episode would have been a hell of a lot better if the look wasn't blatantly aping a distinct visual style. To me, one of the funniest things about the show was how all the insane poo poo went on, but it still had its own look. It's cool to do occasional call outs, but to base the entire episode around it really took me out of it. It was a parody of a Fincher film, and that's all I could see when I watched.

I think back to the season one episode "The Science of Illusion", where Annie and Shirley became campus security, and could only think how awful it would have been if they had tailored the look of the episode to copy the exact look of say, Don Siegel or Michael Bay, instead of doing their own thing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Duro posted:

Yikes, I was able to watch last season, but this season the episodes are all horrible. I can't even finish an episode, they're so boring. Harmon can do wrong, apparently

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

People on this board were right. It should have ended after season three.

It's beginning to remind me a lot of Family Guy. A bunch of silly pop culture references, ending with a hollow emotional scene.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Season 4 makes me wish they cancelled Community before there was a season 5.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

Season 4 to me is indistinguishable from the rest of the show, and I've watched it since the pilot.

Me too. If I hadn't kept up on all the behind the scenes stuff, I never would have know there were different people in charge.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Disappointing, but after the lackluster seasons four and five, it was time this show was put out of its misery.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

How are u posted:

I was a fan of the show from the pilot up through Season 3 but 4 was pretty bad and 5 wasn't much better. I think the zany-ness got old after a few years and then it sort of felt like they kept ratcheting it up because that's what made the show stand out in the first place, and it just felt forced. I went from watching the show live every thursday to watching it on Hulu the day after to letting episodes sit on the ol' Hulu queue for a week before being bored enough to watch them. Anyway not sad to see it go and now the talented people can try new things.

That's my 2 cents and nobody cares :)

That' how I feel. Though a part of me will miss Britta. Gillian Jacobs was the best thing on this show, and I doubt she'll ever find a role that will truly let her shine a comedic actress like Community did.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Stayne Falls posted:

One of the many interesting benefits of having Irish Joe on ignore is that when he starts a stupid argument I just get blasted with rational, intelligent rebuttals to nonsense I didn't have to read. I'm looking forward to Rash's/Faxon's episode.

...but I'm not particularly holding out hope for this weird, last-ditch Internet season. This show is really all over the place.

Hell, I managed to make it all through season 4, but gave up halfway through season 5. They should've just let the show die.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I made it all the way through season 4, but couldn't even bother to finish season 5.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

The cannibalism comes from a joke Joel McHale made during the Season 6 Comic Con panel. He said he wanted an episode to cut to Troy eating Levar Burton, not the other way around.

Also, got to say: I rewatched the series recently and Season 4 is honestly not that awful. By no stretch of the imagination is it Community at its best (Season 1, fyi) but there are a couple of good episodes: History 101, which I liked because it maintained Jeff's character development from the end of Season 3; Advanced Documentary Film-making, which, despite the ridiculous Changnesia premise, actually creates good scenes for Jeff and Annie and Troy; Herstory of Dance, which introduces Rachel and is also the final time Pierce is characterized as anything other than a horrible racist, and Basic Human Anatomy, Jim Rash's episode). I think the drama surrounding the season negatively influences people's opinions of it. The only really bad episodes are Conventions of Space and Time, the episode where Inspector Spacetime became completely intolerable, and Advanced Introduction to Finality, the paintball/Darkest Timeline psuedo-finale. For the rest of the episodes, as long as you can overlook Pierce being completely mishandled (which I admit is bad, because he was the funniest character) then Season 4 is generally competent with regular glimpses of the old magic.

"But Dan Harmon wasn't involved, so therefore it's automatically bad."

Yeah, I think a lot of hate on S4 came from people who had already decided to hate it before watching a single frame, so one was never going to get an honest reaction to it. As I mentioned before, I made it through S4, but couldn't even finish S5. Is 4 as good as S1? No, but it's nowhere as awful as people wanted it to be.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

Yeah, I think if I could make one change to Seasons 1 - 3, it would be to have Pierce stick to his guns and stay separated from the group during Season 3. He should still have been around but in a limited capacity (like Duncan in Season 1 and 2) and only interacted with the entire group for specific episodes like his father's appearance and the videogame episode. It would have been an interesting if he had remained in Greendale while the other six study group members were expelled after Chang's coup, and his aid in retaking the school could have represented a real reconciliation between everyone. This might have mitigated the Chevy/Dan conflict come to think of it.

I don't understand why Harmon can't drop the whole "old geezer in the study group" thing either. Chevy, then Jonathan Banks, now Keith David. Awesome performers, but maybe he should try to add a different dynamic to the group instead of what's come before.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I'm glad that Banks and now David are part of the show, though I hope David gets better scripts than Banks did, but do they need to be part of the study group? Banks was a teacher, why did he also have to fill the curmudgeonly old man part of the group? Why does the group constantly need to have that type of character? Why couldn't he have just stayed a teacher?

It's like with The Office, and Steve Carrell left. Instead of replacing the Michael Scott character with a new character, they replaced him with a character who was basically Michael Scott in everything but name. (Which was especially stupid, since they threw out all the character development they had given Andy, just so they could hold on to that formula they had developed.) It's basically what Community is doing, the old guy who's "not with it". You'd think Harmon would be more clever than to fall into that rut.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Stop saying "jesus wept".

At least it's not "The darkest timeline".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Viginti posted:

True. I'm definately not against serialisation, I just don't know why it's always about who is going to own the university when I don't imagine anyone watching cares about that. It could also be that all of the footage was taken from one episode - likely since they are still filming - and the season won't be serialised at all in this way, i'm just bullshitting based on what little we have to work with. It looks funny enough, but I would have been happy for Harmon to move onto something new, hopefully the gimmick episodes will be good enough to justify the ressurection.

My problem was with the gimmick episodes, because it seemed like Harmon couldn't reign himself, and found himself doing full blown parodies. Like in "The Science of Illusion", where Shirley and Annie become security, he used tropes from stereotypical cop dramas and used it to enhance the story, but by season 5's "Basic Intergluteal Numismatics", it's a full blown parody, down to being shot and lit like a police melodrama, which, to me, just isn't as clever or funny.

• Locked thread