Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

They're cutting better material than season 4's aired footage.

From my recent rewatch, the main thing I noticed was Professor Duncan was a great character and season 3 felt weird without him. So glad to have him back here. Helps that the episode was solid overall. I thought it was interesting that they came up with the most ridiculous crisis possible and immediately juxtaposed it with the most serious and depressing event. They handled Pierce's death weirdly realistically; it came out of nowhere and just bulldozed over everything else that they were wrapped up in. Now his death will forever be associated with the asscrack bandit, and I'm not sure if that's hilarious or sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

The actual lava game felt mostly like a retread, but I really enjoyed the episode because it went a long way towards fixing Britta. She was great here and so was the entire last act with the farewells.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

DairyBastard posted:

Am I odd for liking 504 more than 505? I dunno, I guess I just love bottle episodes. I could watch like 20 episodes of these 6 (well now 5) characters just bounce off each other because they're so witty and hilarious. I was still impressed just because 505 looked so amazing visually, but it didn't like make my top 5 like Modern Warfare or Epidemiology. I'm not sure why.

Diminishing returns in effect. 505 was well done, but 504 was inventive.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

Quandary posted:

The whole Bear Down/Fat Dog plot honestly wasn't anything special but I can't figure out why I think its so loving funny.

It was the funniest plotline of the season. The climax just being Garret screaming "IT'S A BEAR DANCE!" was amazing.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

Quandary posted:

Why are people hating on this episode I honestly don't understand. Nuke this thread.

I could see a lot of people not getting or appreciating the fat dog/bear down stuff, but I don't want to meet those people.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

I'm kinda shocked people didn't like the Buzz/Abed plot. I thought it was by far the funniest segment and some of the smartest dialog Community has had since season 2. Abed's rant about how lifeless his comic strips were, especially. I don't think you're supposed to take away from this that Abed was right or magical, so in the words of his hacky duck, what the hell, thread.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

1st AD posted:

Because none of it was funny and I like sitcoms that are funny and have jokes.

I find everything Buzz does and says hilarious. He's got that extreme dramatic juxtaposition thing going for him. His blunt explanation for how he'd survive the apocalypse was the best joke of the episode.

Edit: Alan Sepinwall compares the episode to Mixology and that pretty much nails what I was thinking when I said smarted writing since season 2. I thought this episode was on fire and maybe even the peak of an already great season (and this is coming from someone who's pretty middling on 3 and thinks it was too childish and Abed-heavy.)

Scissorfighter fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 28, 2014

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

E the Shaggy posted:

I can't believe that's not Vince Gilligan.

Is that a reference or something? It was Vince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

VagueRant posted:

I get more negative about the finale the more I think about it. It's really soured me on the show for its future. The weirdest part is that this season started so strong, the first half was season 3 quality. But then it just kind of fizzled out into that meh-ness.

It used to be that a season of (Dan Harmon run) Community would end with us going "It MUST be brought back! It's Community!" and now we're all kinda like "well, I guess it can come back. Basically just because I don't want THAT to be the ending." Community used to feel like an event to me and now it's "just TV" and that sucks.

The characters have gotten wackier, their faults are exaggerated and their positive aspects are basically gone. I mean have we even had a genuine moment of friendship between anyone this season? Or a real Winger speech?

Part of it is the shark-jumping cast changes (Although I did really like Buzz Hickey) - that it's just so far removed from what it was without Pierce AND Troy.

I kind of wanted to see a proper, satisfying ending for these characters I liked and cared about, but after that I'm not sure Harmon and co. can even do that. I guess it was asteroids. :smith: (Or choose to remember season 3's ending as the end of the show.)

Weird, I'd say season 5 is a hell of a lot better than 3 because the characters are far less wacky and more deftly handled. I also found it funnier since they didn't rely on popular jokes and self-references as much (the exception being the hot lava episode where they did yet another retread of that stupid "Troy and abed in the morning" poo poo). No inspector spacetime! I liked the season 3 finale but I appreciate that this one goes in a different direction entirely instead of being another "possible emotional closure of entire series but maybe not!" thing.

• Locked thread