Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I think it's really interesting (and more than a little unique) that a television show that is this beloved is anticipated with this much dread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

In season 4 they make paintball cool again.

ASTERISK

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I think Epidemiology had a better story and was more clever, but Seven Spooky Steps made me laugh out loud more, even though it's probably the weakest of the three. Statistics was one of the first episodes to really show Community's freak flag, which gives it a special place in my heart.

It's a tough choice.

I'll go 2 > 1 > 3 as episodes of TV, and 3 > 2 > 1 as my personal enjoyment of them. But they all have their merits.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Good reviews a'commin.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

All I've heard was that Harmon felt they went too into the Inspector Spacetime gag and it certainly won't be as prevalent if it shows up at all. Maybe a poster in the background or something.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I still believe that the overwhelming response to Inspector Spacetime came not, primarily, from Community fans, but from Doctor Who fans. They're the ones who latched onto it and made pages and pages about it, copying everything from Who and changing it slightly, cause isn't it funny if we call an episode that was titled "Turn Left," "Turn Right?" Get it? hahaha.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

maxallen posted:

Well I got that general gist, what did nerds on the internet do with it I mean? Seemed like a little thing that would pop up in series from time to time but without enough canon behind it to actually build a fanbase around.

It got taken over by Doctor Who fans, who overdid it in the worst possible ways.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

El Tortuga posted:

Alright, cool. Now where can I watch it online streaming?

Hulu.com, tommorow.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Davros1 posted:

I know I'll be torn apart in this thread for voicing this opinion, but . . .

You're allowed to be wrong. Hell, even encouraged. It's the internet.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Drunk Canuck posted:

He also was at fault for it's destruction so he's batting .500.

I was going to challenge you but let's be honest, you're right. He only survived as long as he did because he's on NBC. But, sane or not, a show this brilliant doesn't usually get ratings.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Look, it wasn't the greatest thing ever.

That will take some time to get to. It's going through the period where it has to ground itself. I have no doubt that it will be the greatest thing ever in this season. That's the Harmon guarantee.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Behind the scenes videos are back!

Episode 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbr4udKLMSg

Episode 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrF33fbyFZ8

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I'm thinking per-episode threads are a good idea if we're going to get 20+ pages per episode.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

I'll ask about it, but the next thread might be on short notice if so.

No one's expecting miracles, I'm sure we'll be fine with whatever you come up with.

As for the 1.3, I'd love to see what NBC could put on that could possibly do a 1.3 in Adults 18-49 against BBT's juggernaut. (unstoppable jugglenobb)

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Dan mentioned before that this was a general David Fincher parody.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

If there was an abuse point (and I really doubt that there was), it would be that Greendale takes something silly as seriously as they would take something actually damaging. That's not making fun of victims. The victim isn't the punchline.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

CPColin posted:

That line about protesting the wrong Korea sounded really familiar and I'm ashamed I can't remember where I know it from.

It was in the preview promo they put out in December.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Lord Krangdar posted:

I'm glad I skipped season 4. Watching this new season I don't feel like I missed much, except a gas leak.

You're really better off not watching it. Nothing of any import happens and it just comes off as lifeless and fake. Like the uncanny valley of TV shows.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

New behind-the-scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlSwWd_UbL4

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Paxicon posted:

Just saw the reviews for this episode, which were once more stellar. With NBC struggling like it is, what are the chances we get our 6th season (And a movie...) simply due to them giving up and trying to brand it as "Well, at least the critics love it!" ?

If they can maintain a 1.3 against BBT, then the answer is, "probably, yeah."

So the answer is likely no. But you never know. It IS NBC.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

CaptainHollywood posted:

It's doing better than Sean, and MJ Fox show.

Premieres are always high. Expect it to drop. I'll be surprised if it's over 1.0. Pleasantly surprised, but surprised nonetheless. Sean and MJ are dead sitcoms walking, so they're nothing to compare it to.

The real question is, will NBC wipe the slate clean? They could just do that. But if Community performs well enough against BBT, then it's better than anything else they could conceivably put in that timeslot.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

CaptainHollywood posted:

I'm half expecting 13 episode "final seasons" for Community and Parks. Too optimistic?

Probably. Odds are you're watching the final seasons right now.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Surprise! Community rises to a 1.4. Maybe football did have an effect? Even Sean and MJ rose, but only to 1.0. So they're still goners.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Teek posted:

Big name as opposed to these critical original darlings currently on the Crackle platform: "Bannen Way”, “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee”, “Chosen”, “Cleaners”, “Trenches”.

Look, Community costs well over a million dollars (in the two million range, last I heard) an episode to make, and that's before post-production.

I don't think "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" has the same kind of overhead.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

It was always 5.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

To clarify, Parks and Rec did NOT get a season 7 pickup at this time. Bob Greenblat (who runs NBC) blabbed to a reporter that he'd like to keep P&R and Community around. Note that he said it to a reporter. In a scrum at the TCA Press tour.

i.e. he's trying to sell ads for at least P&R and Community and he's using the media to keep the shows in the conversation. If an advertiser thinks a show is doomed, they're a lot less likely to buy ad space there.

Gonna go out on a limb and say this is meaningless, and P&R and Community only get renewals if their already meager ratings does not tank like it does every year. Unless NBC once again finds itself without a single thing to replace them with.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Klungar posted:

Generally speaking, the stars of long running shows earn significantly more than they did when they first started out. I know this show is no "Friends" or "The Simpsons", but that's the model.

What you've described is why the odds are a million to one that Community WON'T get a seventh season; the contracts were for six seasons, and they will have to re-sign the actors for a seventh season, and that would make the show much more expensive to make, inevitably. But a sixth season doesn't have this problem.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Sakarja posted:

Sure, they have contracts for six seasons, but that can change quite easily, as the example of Chevy and Donald Glover illustrates.

What gave you the idea that these were "easy?" And you think SAG will let them negotiate contracts for all the regulars without the precedent of significantly increased income? This isn't just about them - it becomes a union thing.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Ok, I'll run down the basics, since it is kinda more complex than it looks at first blush.

The typical deal these days in Hollywood is to sign your talent to six-year contracts. This gets them locked in for a long time, with reason: If your show is successful, and gets to six years and eventually beyond, it would have to be popular and thus be making a lot of money.

So the Screen Actors Guild makes sure that all their members get these contracts and fight to make sure that when it comes time to negotiate, the actors are asking to get significantly more money as the risk part of the contract is now firmly on the actor's side.

Lots of shows re-negotiate at 5 or 4 years with their cast once they know the show is solid. They can usually re-negotiate at lower rates because there's still more monetary risk on the production side at that point.

The thing is, the reason the actors can make much more money *and* the show continues to be produced is that the show is making so much money for the studio that the raises don't matter. And that's the problem: Community isn't making Sony any kind of real money. At best they can probably break even now that syndication is running, but it's no Seinfeld or Family Guy or BBT in terms of syndication ratings. NBC signed such a poo poo deal that they don't even get any syndication money. They essentially get the show free from Sony at this point and promise to find a spot for it.

That little bit of a silver lining that NBC sees is that a show they essentially pay next to nothing for is probably doing better than any other show they have in a time slot that they put it in. So for right now, for NBC, it kind of...works. As long as the ratings stay above 1.0 they're more likely in for a season 6 and hell, beyond, if they keep getting it for free and have nothing that can reasonably fill the space.

The problem, then, becomes that the costs become too prohibitive for Sony. The show would cost more money because SAG will not allow its members to low-ball after a 6-year deal, it sets a bad precedent for future deals. Suddenly costs rise significantly and if it's just not taking off in syndication AND the network isn't going to pay more for it? Cut your losses and embrace the cult dvd/netflix/hulu market.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Sakarja posted:

That's very informative, thanks!

Would it be correct to say that if NBC decides to renew Parks & Rec for another season, it'll probably have very little to do with the economics involved?

I think you've already seen that economics has become an issue, see the departure of Rashida Jones and Rob Lowe.

Keep in mind that you're dealing with a different set of circumstances and situations at P&R because it's solely an NBC production, which changes a lot of the stakes.

Also, keep in mind that my explanations are only reasonable insofar as Sony continues to only care about making money. If they went all FX and decided that maximizing creativity is better than maximizing ROI then there might be a change, but then again if the Moon collided with the Earth there might be a change.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 21, 2014

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Behind the scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiMzRpet7Pk

Great scene at the end but I can understand why it got cut. It's a little on the nose.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

Why don't you make that a Toxx, and we'll all see if it ends up being true.

If they can rehire Dan Harmon, think of what is possible.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Max posted:

I mean, at this point, the action stuff is a mainstay of the show, and will happen every season. Having someone (Britta) be completely uninterested in the conceit and want to adress the underlying problem was refreshing.

Not to mention that I really felt the point of the game was, to the rest of the Study Group, more to have fun and enjoy a little Abed foolishness. In Paintball I they didn't go as far as to dress the part (except for Troy and Abed, relishing it) and in Paintball II they only had costumes because of another event. And they were annoyed with having to play the games.

Here, you got the feeling that everyone else was really enjoying the fun of playing these games. Jeff was laughing along with Garret's faux-history and Magnitude's drums. The money was important to them, but they liked the experience, too. And Troy (who wouldn't care about the money) and Abed (who started it in the first place) were relishing the chance to do one last adventure together.

It was only Britta's hyper-emotional sensitivity that picked up that there was something more going on with Abed. Well, with everyone.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Pudgygiant posted:

Does Community exist in a universe where weed is now legal?

Not based on Ben Folds's character running to hide his Sativa plant (perfect for playing guitar!). Of course that may just be a campus rule.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

(It was driving me crazy trying to remember what it was that it was referenced in, I'm pretty sure that was it.)

To be pedantic they referred to it as "hanging a lantern" on it (the context was, I think, how the team managed to escape from an enemy base, and the writer saying they could simply have someone say, "that was easier than I expected" rather than write out a complicated and expensive scene.)

I think that using the term "lampshading" instead of "hanging a lantern" is more from the Whedon side of things. But the concept is the same: If you have one of the characters recognize, in story, that something is absurd, it makes it easier for the audience to accept it.

The shittiest lampshading example I can think of was in the Justin Timberlake turd "In Time," where, instead of detailing how society somehow changed to the bizarre system they used in the movie, he simply explains, in an insipid opening narrative, "it is what it is."

The moral: lampshading is not always successful. It's a tool like any other, not a panacea for struggling writers.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 27, 2014

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

VagueRant posted:

Edit: oh and it's really weird that a guy played by Nathan Fillion exists in a universe where Chang's celebrity crush is Nathan Fillion. (And Abed and Troy loved Firefly.)

To take a page from Rick and Morty: Don't think about it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm pretty sure there was a hidden NFL reference here, being that Harmon is from Milwaukee. Chicago Bears fan slogan for the bears is "Bear Down", Green Bay and Chicago are like the most storied NFL rivals, and the bear attack in this episode took place in Wisconsin.

Here's what Dan Harmon knows about football:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdAf8l__9x8

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Technically it's getting its ratings boost (its ratings share is larger) because there are less people watching TV at 8:30. (Therefore even though its share is larger, the actual audience is smaller.)

The 1.1 (or in P&R's case, 1.2) rating means 1.1% of the overall 18-49 TV audience in totality is tuned in to the show, within a reasonable margin of error. (This includes TVs that are off)

The 3 Share (in P&R's case, a 4) means that 3% of the actual TVs owned by 18-49 year olds that are turned on at the time (and tuned to some TV show) are tuned into the show.

There's other numbers, including people over 49 who advertisers don't care about, but that's not as important.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 31, 2014

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Sakarja posted:

And now there's also a post complaining about people complaining about people complaining. Good times!

This is the most meta show out there, so it only makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I think John Oliver is in 7 episodes. The scene they shot for Geothermal Escapism was shot around his schedule.

• Locked thread