Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Irish Joe posted:

Anyone claiming to not like/miss Pierce is a filthy liar.

Season One Pierce was awesome, after that though it was all downhill. Season Two could've been good for him if they had either made him a full villain and got rid of him or redeemed him and returned him to the Season One character but leaving him as a sort of half antagonist was rubbish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

So after watching both episodes I think that tonally and emotionally Dan Harmon made one mistake - graduating everyone off-screen and time jumping.

It just isn't needed at all except for the joke about re-piloting.

Jeff graduated early which means he basically had a full semester and the summer to fall into despair and have to return to Greendale in time for the other characters final year. It would've felt a lot more fluid and a lot more in keeping, I think, with the lighter tone the show is trying to find.

Aside from that it's pretty good, though in my head the final episode is still the end of Season Three for now.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bown posted:

I thought we only time-jumped nine months or so. All the characters were halfway through their final year at the end of season 4, right?

Were they? For some reason I seem to remember them having another, final year, after Jeff would've graduated.

Either way there were better ways of bringing everyone back other than making them complete failures outside of the school, which feels a little mean and, for a viewer, makes the past four seasons seem kind of pointless.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, it's diegetic but it's still jarring. I didn't really find it funny, just kind of hack to end the episode on a recycled JD voiceover.

It was newly recorded by Zach Braff just for the episode.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

If it makes you feel better he's an actor and it's his job.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bown posted:

I read his new one sold 150k so far

Exactly.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

According to Alan Sepinwall the Zach Braff voice over was a new recording.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

There is a lot more story to mined by taking Troy away from Abed and not replacing him than just introducing a new-Troy; however its probably gonna be Brie Larson.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

Maybe people like her from other things she's done but I haven't seen them.

She's easily been the worst part of everything I've seen her in. Totally bland. One of the goons around here loving loves her though - I remember him going googly eyed when she first showed up in the episode so maybe he will pop up and explain her allure to us.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CaptainHollywood posted:

That's one thing this season has completely downplayed. The Dean being crazy. Dan Harmon gets you can either have him say completely ridiculous things, or wear crazy things- but never both.

Dan Harmon made an entire episode inspired by Heart of Darkness with the Dean as the central figure; I don't think he gets character restraint as much as you think he does.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Just asked Dan and you guys were right, the VO was NOT newly recorded. My bad.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Donald Glover's Abed was loving awful, and proved he's limited range once and for all. No wonder Hollywood isn't clawing at his door.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you people? Holy poo poo. Are you guys just unfamiliar with Irish Joe?

I'm not even mad at him, because he clearly knows what the gently caress he's doing to destroy this thread so thoroughly.

To be fair on him he's basically just pissing on the remains of a nuclear holocaust at this point. The thread never had a chance.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Pierce was an amazing character until Dan Harmon's dislike of the actor infected the role and made him horrific. Honestly I complete understand why Chevy Chase thought the material he was being given was poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Sakarja posted:

That's bullshit. They had to write every scene Chevy was in around the fact that he wouldn't read the scripts or even learn his lines. He'd turn up and walk off set whenever he felt like it. And it's worth mentioning that Pierce only became horrific after Dan Harmon was kicked out. Pierce was a great character in season 1-2, I agree that he took a nosedive in season 3, but so did every single character on the show. And none of the other actors felt a need to be extremely unproffesional about it, or refuse to do certain scenes and badmouth the show publicly.

Dan was kicked out in Season Four, so Season Three is all on him.

Pierce in Season Four was mainly a none issue, he was kind of forgotten about due to the damage having already been done, something I'm shocked they didn't also do with Chang; who really could've used some down time.

When Chevy was given things to do he was fine at them, like the aforementioned boating episode in Season One. I don't give a poo poo about the behind the scenes drama if the episodes themselves are fine, and it was the writing for the character which took a nosedive before the performance, so from what I can tell it's Dan's fault foremost.

Is Dan a genius? Yes. Is he a big baby also? Yes.

Is Chevy a great performer? Yes. Is he a big baby also too? Yes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Huh, a Laser Lotus Lego:

http://brickfanatics.co.uk/first-image-of-collectible-minifigures-series-12/

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bown posted:

Honestly I've always thought that joke was too off-putting and out of place as well, but I don't think it dilutes the overall episode or Pierce's sendoff at all. And Abed didn't get a very emotional sendoff but that part was one of my biggest laughs of the season.

Yeah, this was another case of Dan Harmon the twat encroaching too much on Dan Harmon the show runner.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

Watching that video, he also talks about wanting to harken back to a Season 1 feel, and wanting to get outside on the campus more!

I feel like he's said this before and failed at it spectacularly. At this point its stupid trying to recapture past glories as too much has changed. Now it's just about trying to make the best of a bad show.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bown posted:

It's a fun contradiction because season 1 has absolutely no off-campus scenes.

Also PriorMarcus I know we're bros on a lot of things but I cannot be bros about the idea that Community is a bad show now

I feel like some episodes are amazing, especially last season there were a few stand out ones, but the overall experience, when viewed from a distance is bad. I'm happy watching the enjoying the episodes that really knock it out of the park, but following the season ending I always struggle to see what Harmon was going for, as I could in Seasons One and Two.

He has said before that he wanted to do less gimmick episodes and go back to the character beats of Season One and I've never felt he's been successful with it because he invariably gets distracted by other things.

Did last season have some really good episodes? Yes. Was the season as a whole good? No.

The things is, these characters now are so far removed from what they were, in ways that don't feel organic but instead forced that I don't care about them, I just watch now for funny scenes or interesting episodes. But I feel like those alone don't make a show 'good' and the heart of Community that once made it great is long gone.

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

You can stop watching at any time, nobody is holding your feet to this particular fire

Well yeah, I've never been dumb enough to Toxx myself over it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

He said "get outside on the campus more", not "get outside of the campus more"

Season 1 & 2 had a lot of stuff filmed outside and on-location, compared to later seasons where it was all sets and soundtages. Wanting to do more stuff with them on the campus grounds is a nice idea, but if they're on the same budget as last season I don't know how that will pan out.

Maybe another episode filmed with a single-camera gimmick.

Yeah, visually the show can improve a lot by looking bad at itself, and more location shooting would be amazing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

No, he is one of those guys.

I guess he was in Girls where he played The Only Black Boy in New York.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Community was a lot better when it had this tone. After Season Three it seemed to shift from being a series about a group of misfits finding hope and family to a group of addicts driving each other further down a dark path.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

superjew posted:

If things went well (like the show being supported by the network and not being gutted for not putting up Friends numbers while in the same time slot as the goddamn hypnotoad of sitcoms) then the fourth season could have brought resolution to some issues and show how they've grown as people.

First, let's ask ourselves - "What is a story?"

I agree with this. If Season Three had just been a darkness before the dawn, as the ending implied, it would've been awesome, but then Dan was removed and Season Five, when he came back, had to reboot. I do think the way they decided to reboot, where everyone had failed at life and was miserable, was a mistake.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

is she gonna be ERASED from Community?

Maybe from Inspector Spacetime.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

That clashes with her made-up reason for leaving the Titanic though?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ashpanash posted:

Probably the easiest job is a holding deal, where they're looking for a project for you and so they pay you money to not take any other jobs (or give them first standing).

I did a job with Ian McKellan a few years back before The Hobbit films had started filming and got to have a few smokes with him. He was being paid to wait around several months while the schedule was being finalized for the film and was loving every second of it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Season 5 suffers from two big problems. First, the show's reason for the study group getting back together post-graduation was weak, so you spent every episode asking yourself questions like "why does Annie care about grades when she already has her degree?" or "why is Britta allowing herself to be treated like dirt when she graduated a year ago?" Second, all of the so-called 'good' episodes are just rehashes of better season 2 episodes. ACB is the best episode of the season, but even that's just a rehash of the L&O episode from season 3.

I really don't get why they went with the 're-enrolment angle. If anything it would've made more sense for Annie to run the Save Greendale group as a job/teacher and to recruit Jeff into it. Or, really, just pretend that Season Four never happened.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Ratjaculation posted:

I feel bad because I don't have high hopes for this anymore. Rewatching the show I don't tend to go past season 3 anymore. 5 was good but it wasn't Pierce being the Beastmaster

It's so bitter and miserable now. Especially with Troy being killed and cannibalized by his childhood idol after being captured by Somali pirates. I'm expecting them to write Shirley out via tripple murder suicide.

It used to be a show that was hopeful and joyous about the connections we make with people, but now it's just depressing with occasional strong episodes.

I'm going to wait for opinion to settle on Season Six before I decide wether to invest.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

In It For The Tank posted:

For the rest of the episodes, as long as you can overlook Pierce being completely mishandled (which I admit is bad, because he was the funniest character) then Season 4 is generally competent with regular glimpses of the old magic.

Pierce has been mishandled since Season Two, when they had the interesting idea of having him get hooked on pills and then forgot they made him nasty after he was cured.

And yeah, 4 is pretty good. It doesn't pull off the concept episodes as well, but it does the more normal episodes fine. To be fair to it as well even the last half of 3 didn't do the concept episodes so well.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I'd also entirely scrap the dreamatorium. It felt like it was taking over the show during Season 3 and it didn't really present them with any storytelling options they didn't have without it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Davros1 posted:

I don't understand why Harmon can't drop the whole "old geezer in the study group" thing either. Chevy, then Jonathan Banks, now Keith David. Awesome performers, but maybe he should try to add a different dynamic to the group instead of what's come before.

For someone whose going on about the characters needing to change and evolve he doesn't half fight against the natural flow of the show to keep them static.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

I can't believe we're finding ways to complain about Jonathan Banks and Keith loving David.

There both fine additions to the show that don't really need to be part of the core group.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The puppet episode wasn't any worse than the computer game episode or the GI Joe episode, and at least the rest of the season didn't suffer because everyone was so busy polishing a turd like the other two.

I don't remember which the Dance episode was everyone raves about.

Mainly my recollection of Season Four was that it felt like it was continuing the same gradual decline Season Three started.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

This doesn't play in the UK because "the content provider has not given us the rights to play this video in your location."

So, is Season Six not going to be available world wide? I know it's airing on UK TV the day after online release but what possible reason does Yahoo have not to at least have the trailer available everywhere?

EDIT: Oh, it's on YouTube for now any way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4iJrZLi3Uo

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 3, 2015

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Immediately I noticed that it looks (visually) a lot more like Season One and Two, so either Yahoo increased the budget or they are handling their money a lot better.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Gervasius posted:

Was that J.K. Simmons at 0:12?

That's what I thought, but it's such a quick shot of him I got whiplash.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ETB posted:

I'm getting Season 4 vibes from the trailer, I hope I am wrong.

It's a pretty good trailer I thought. I'm not too interested in the brief glimpses of concept episodes, but everything else looks really nice. Will it be good? No idea. It will probably start better than it finishes. Will it be at all like Season 4? Probably not.

I'll miss Shirley but she was given so little to actually do that I'm not sure she's that big of a loss. In Season One, sure, but now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Hearing that they are behind filming again has taken some of my confidence. I was kind of hoping Yahoo would reign that poo poo in a bit and lead to a more polished product, but I guess not. Still enthusiastic.

• Locked thread