Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Subtle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lord Krangdar posted:

EDIT- Also you saying this preemptively:

doesn't mean you don't actually lack a sense of humor.

Also posting "I think this is encouraging rape culture but I get the last word on it and also anyone who disagrees with me is part of rape culture" is the Absolute Worst Sort of Posting

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Well this is weird

https://mobile.twitter.com/seahawks/status/430174577168498688?screen_name=seahawks

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

tinstaach posted:

So who else here listens to Harmontown? I just put a new stereo in my car that has USB input, so I threw all the episodes on a stick and I'm going through them one by one. I'm halfway through #8 and my listening time is split about 70/30 between laughing my rear end off and marveling at how hosed in the head Dan is.

I've heard that Kumail Nanjiani joins the crew later on and is really funny, should I keep on truckin' with these episodes?

Irish Joe is nearly 100% correct, although i would say the only episode that is an actual chore to listen to is the pedophilia one (it's titled "Morality" I think and it's goddamn terrible). That's the only one I would seriously recommend everyone skip when listening to Harmontown. Because oof holy poo poo that episode's badness. Christ.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Dark One posted:

Adam Goldberg is apparently much more annoying in-person than he comes across with just audio.

Also he's a goon because of course he is.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Do you even have a career plan?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DoctorWhat posted:

Is gettin' laid a career plan?

NO! :mad:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Does anyone have a link to all the between the takes videos? I can't find the ones for episodes seven or eight

Or episode four (that's the pierces funeral one right)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Illinois Smith posted:

So Danny Pudi directed an episode of 30 for 30, it's pretty sweet.

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=untucked

Wait....what?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If you want some really fascinating behind the scenes you should really catch this week'a harmontown, Dan reveals how the dean rap was written, how he almost killed Leonard, the whole intention behind the Dean's character, Spencer talks about his appearance on last week'a community, oh and Mitch Hurwitz does a commercial for stamps.com as Robin Williams.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrAristocrates posted:

Is this separate from the Season 1 incident? Because if so, holy poo poo.

No this is the season 1 incident, I had just never heard it before

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Argue posted:

The podcast is really long; can you summarize that part?

Essentially when you cast for bit parts, you order them like one orders a pizza because bit parts are only needed because they either look a certain way or have a specific ability the showrunner needs

So Dan cast for Leonard by asking central casting to find "an old guy who can swim" for Physical Education

If you don't know Richard Erdman's credits he's like living cinematic history he's appeared with every major star of the past like 60 years

Anyways so Dan had no idea who that dude was and in Leonard's first scene he's treading water in the pool and responds to a winger zinger with "ooh, BUSTED!"

So Dan was watching coverage but came in after he went to the bathroom for the first couple of takes so he kept on ordering the scene reshot because Richard kept on delivering he line "ooh, BUSTED!" wrong

So they were doing take after take after take until joe Russo, the director was all "look, I think he got it on the first take while you were in the bathroom, and he's getting it wrong because he's a tired old man struggling with treading water and deliver his lines so he's inhaling too much water. At this point you're just drowning an old man" so Dan stopped asking for more tales and lo and behold Richard got it on his first take. Whoops

Also you should just listen to the whole hing it's a loving riot and maybe the funniest episode that's aired thus far.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Irish Joe posted:

Welcome to Bill Mardigan's, land of smoking, riddles and horseshoes!

JESUS CHRIST! Don't you ever...EVER.... Do that again!

I poo poo my pants! I just poo poo all inside my pants!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Because it's great pr and will never, ever, ever ever ever happen.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

LividLiquid posted:

Ah. I don't follow Basketball and didn't realize it was that hard.

You have to guess correctly in 63 games in a row. That's a 1/2^63 probability of occurring or 1 in 9 quintillion. For reference, a light year is 6 trillion miles long. Now imagine one million light years. That's 2/3 of 9 quintillion.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

:siren: EVERYONE CLICK THIS LINK :siren:

Just listen to the first five minutes of this. No spoilers, but it'll get you very excited for this weeks episode and is absolutely incredible in and of itself

http://www.castmate.fm:8080/h/a/r/harmontownpodcast/HARMONTOWN%2097%20MAIN.mp3

:siren:EVERYONE CLICK THIS LINK :siren:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

People really underestimate the cultural and memetic penetration the GI joe cartoon has had. I've never seen an episode and know the theme, the federal council for children's safety, that cobra had his cobra crew or whatever they were called, everyone had a ridiculous code name that was usually based off either their physical appearance or whatever their unique ability was, that knowing is half of the battle, that cobra always had ridiculously convoluted plans to both conquer the world and destroy the joes, and that everyone fought with lasers because you couldn't show guns in a kids cartoon. Also that nobody ever died but they kept on expanding how many joes were in the show and joes would "die" by falling off of cliffs or being sent back in time or whatever so they would have a regular rotation of new toys

I mean how many of you have seen an episode? Not many I would bet and while you were reading my post I best most to all of you were nodding in agreement having already knew all of that

Plus I cannot think of a single episode of Harmon's Community that is inaccessible to viewers that have never seen the source material and especially not a "circlejerk". The two closest are either the chicken fingers or my dinner with abed and I saw goodfellas after the former aired and have never seen my dinner with Andre. Or pulp fiction for that matter

gently caress I've seen four episodes of doctor who in total and think it is the absolute worst bullshit over ever had the displeasure of viewing on a television screen and I loved inspector Spacetime pre season 4. So yeah

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Spacebump posted:

Probably a little younger than 35. G.I. Joe had new episodes until 1992.

Did you watch modern Doctor Who episodes or classic Who? (I prefer modern Doctor Who.)

I saw the first four episodes of the eccleston doctor which everyone told me to start with

I saw that episode where the last human was like a tarp with maybe te worst greenscreened cgi I've ever seen of a human face and also the acting and dialog and god gently caress the narrative contrivances the loving sonic loving screwdriver magically solves and the godawful blatantly obvious dialog "who are you" "I'm the doctor" "I don't know if i should trust you!" Ughhhhhhhh

Also if you tell me to watch the doctor dances or whatever the gently caress is your "best episode" I am going to gleefully ignore you because gently caress that show, I hate genre television in general so don't even waste your breath

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I wonder how hot this episode came in, typical said they have 2 months to animate the episode (usually a six month process) because Harmon was late on the script and as recently as last week he was doing major character animation still

Wonder if it was a South Park situation by the end there

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hey look at this http://io9.com/exclusive-look-inside-dan-harmons-dungeons-dragons-g-1557106189

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

kayakyakr posted:

No, I hear you. I was actually a little saddened by it because while I thought it was fantastic and near brilliant, it was not an episode for NBC which tells me that he thinks there's little chance for season 6 (and a movie)

On the other hand http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ones-up/250936/

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Strange how in a show with puppet episodes, westerns, movie homages, a deep seated character study, claymation, and action homages the overall most bizarre episode is the one about people fearing the mundane

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Overall I don't even know if I like this episode but Christ was it interesting

The whole episode is essentially about everyone realizing they're characters in a sitcoms and how this is their own personal hell. We as the viewing audience want stuff to happen and to be entertained but what were not realize is is we are tacitly condemning these characters to an endlessly repeating cycle where nothing ever changes and they are condemned to a fate of never experiencing stability in their lives. Because if they had that stability then it's not a show because nothing would happen.

So when you think about we as the audience are punishing them by being fans because they only seek the embrace of normality which they by definition cannot receive. Because it's a tv show. And the way they react to this cycle- jeff secretly happy, Britta whistful but desperately seeking fulfillment, abed and Annie crawling into the safety of immaturity as defense against the happy stasis they are in- reveals how desperately the group needs the mundane, which they can never ever receive until the show ends.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

http://youtu.be/GBgI6FlTzqE

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I already toxxed half jokingly about this when community's renewal chances were nil but now my toxx looks real good. If community was gonna be cancelled they would've given the dump news back when they cancelled Mjf and all of their other sitcom failures (all of their new sitcoms). Plus I remember reading an article quoting sony and nbc insiders saying the renewal chances were optimistic

Plus community has unique value to nbc; they can run it against bbt where it'll lose anyways and not ruin their new comedy slate this fall by airing it in an impossible to succeed timeslot

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah I sincerely doubt at this point Community doesn't get renewed

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Remulak posted:

There's a reason that so many great people got wasted in useless cameos, they knew this was probably coming.

That being said, I'll :toxx: myself that we're getting at least one more Community, although I'll be damned if I know in what format.

Speaking as someone who toxxed himself over community; this is a dumb toxx

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Is there a master list of shows that were cancelled then picked up by another network?

literally your avatar

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm sure that will work, pestering low level CS reps at Netflix to get Community picked up. Didn't AD come back because A) it sold really well on DVD and B) Ron Howard was behind it?

It's not pestering when the site in question literally sets aside a specific program to gauge interest

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

XboxPants posted:

An actor doing one full-time TV show commitment doesn't really have time to do a second one.

Yeah, like Joel Mchale

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Deadline is a sony marketing arm so I would put little to no stock in any article that could be conceivably part of Sonys spin team

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You're all loving welcome you assholes

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah I rewatched season 5 recently and it's astounding to me how well done the season is as a whole, besides the last two episodes there's no real weak spots (and even then I think it's the finale that's weak, basic story I really admire for its aims)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ashpanash posted:

Think TV movie. We're not talking wide release here.

Considering a road doc about the creator of community going around the country playing d and d with a whose line alum is seeing limited release, and a movie sequel to a 3-season detective series on the WB saw wide release I really don't think a movie sequel to community being wide release is out of the question

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

juniperjones posted:

How does he have this much money?

He's enormously successful and competent at his job, and doesn't spend most of the very large amount of money he makes because he's a workaholic/alcoholic loner?

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 9, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

lol greenblats a dick

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

PriorMarcus posted:

I feel like he's said this before and failed at it spectacularly. At this point its stupid trying to recapture past glories as too much has changed. Now it's just about trying to make the best of a bad show.

You can stop watching at any time, nobody is holding your feet to this particular fire

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

PriorMarcus posted:

Well yeah, I've never been dumb enough to Toxx myself over it.

poo poo...owned.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ETB posted:

I'm still hoping Jonathan Banks will be able to find time for the show. I need my Jim the Duck, drat it.

It's not contractually possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Good idea. A One More Day movie would be brilliant.

dude! u should tweet that idea @ the president

• Locked thread