Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
For the past three years, I have a tradition of watching all of the Community Christmas specials back-to-back. This year, I had the dilemma of whether to include season 4's Introduction of Knots. In the spirit of the holidays, I decided to include it.

Needless to say, the contrast between seasons 1-3 and 4 are stark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I'm still sad at the lost opportunity of having Neil Gaiman write a Community bit based on Inspector Spacetime with Karen Gillian (one of the Doctor's former companions) as a guest star. Maybe for the sixth season, I'm hoping...

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

superjew posted:

It's very strange to think that in a year or so I'll own seasons 1-3, 5 of Community and not 4.

I envy your lack of season 4. Now I feel obligated to watch the Christmas episode every year.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Chairman Mao posted:

Oh and I guess the finale has Jeff (and Pierce) graduate too, that's probably important.

Only watch the first and last five minutes if you do. You won't regret it.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
First off, amazing.

Second, Jonathan Banks is perfect.

And lastly, I'm happy to report watching the season 3 finale before starting season 5 works really well, minus the absence of Troy-Britta and Changnesia.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Mexcillent posted:

I did think that first episode was weirdly lit but I think it was on purpose?

Darkest timeline, man.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Mordiceius posted:

I don't know if I'm ready... to love again...

Hello? Is it me you're looking for?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Or they can seek out and somehow fill the Hispanic void in the group.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Oh Snapple! posted:

The Dean loving fainted from seeing Jeff in aviators, it's never been a covert thing.

His swagger did get a new swagger. And he somehow became friends with Leonard.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Steve Vader posted:

Either that or Shirley talked him out of throwing away his movies and will become his new Troy, since she knows what a Cenobite is, but she won't be as malleable as Troy so it'll be a very different dynamic. For some reason "Shirley and Abed in the Morning" holds an appeal for me.

But what about Troy and Abed and Annie in the mooooorning? :smith:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Bown posted:

Is this really a thing? I mean, I'll stop if so, but.....really?

quote:

SPOILER RULES: [...] Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags.

Per TVIV rules.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Pretty sure the D&D sequel stuff was leaked/mentioned by Harmon, so it counts.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
And then a Kickstarter movie... ?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Came in here to see reactions of Don Glover possibly returning to Community, but maybe hasn't been posted here yet because it's not very solid info?

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2014/03/donald-glover-returning-community/

It could go either way, but I'm hopeful. Maybe he saw the last week's episode and didn't want Abed to be sad anymore.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Rexides posted:

The Gas Leak Year joke won't make sense otherwise.

This is the correct answer.

Season 4 had some good ideas, but most (if not all) lacked in execution and focus/refinement. I'm not even a huge fan of Academy Award Winner Jim Rash's episode, sadly.

The puppet episode and finale both make me cringe. Quite easily the worst episodes of them all.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Any time the Dean opened his mouth during this episode, I laughed. So good.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is it better than the puppet episode? That's all I need to know

That's such a low bar, you can't even trip over it. Except maybe the season 4 finale.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
My only issue with the episode (as well as the Meowmeowbeans and ACB episodes) is how abruptly they end. It felt like they needed just a little more time to wrap the episode up. I really hope they release "extended episodes" for the DVDs.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Kingtheninja posted:

Were they looking at doing another law and order type episode? I thought I'd read a while ago about annie having more forensic science stuff to do and just assumed that meant another L/O spoof.

They kind of redid it with the ACB episode. I bet they'll mock CSI next season though.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Typical posted:

Yep. Here is the preview for the episode. We are all working very hard to finish it in time.

http://youtu.be/o2N8wLKC7bw

This looks amazing. Why can't it be tomorrow?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Irish Joe posted:

That was a stupid recommendation. Eccleston's episodes are the trashiest of trashy British television. Depending on the person, I'd recommend Vincent and the Doctor or The Impossible Astronaut for first timers.

You're the worst.

The first four of the new series are a good gauge of how much kitsch you want in a TV show. If you didn't find any of it interesting, Doctor Who is probably not for you.

Back on track, I wonder what Buzz will look like on Thursday night's episode. And Chang??

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Annie's Boobs Cartoon.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

The Libearian posted:

Reminded me a lot of the puppet episode.

That's unfair, I actually laughed during the G.I. Joe's episode.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
And that's not a bad thing. We can be critical of things we love. Personally, I appreciate Dan Harmon pushing the boundaries instead of falling stagnant. It's why I watch the show.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
It felt like one of the latter episodes of season 3, which isn't a bad thing in my eyes. It's obviously setting up for the next episode, so I'm going to withhold my judgement on it for now.

Mr. Mohammed (and The Dean) shaking down the vending machine and Chang singing about five-dollar footlongs got to me very hard.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

1st AD posted:

The season 4 finale was just as bad as this one.

Season 4 finale makes me angry, especially when Abed said they made paintball cool again.

I was maybe a little disappointed by the finale, but really none of the finales in this show are super strong, minus season 3. I think the whole season needs a rewatch, since that was how I found out I loved season 3 the most.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
To be fair, I think the show did really well having lost two of their main cast in one season. The inclusion of John Oliver and Jonathan Banks also showed how strong the writing can be with existing and new characters.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Academy award winner Jim Rash is guest starring in Glee.

I don't know how to react to this.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I've got a Christmas time for me, I've got a Christmas time for a tree...

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I think I'd be okay with a Kickstarter movie as a wrapup without a sixth season, but I'll have to convince Dan tomorrow at Harmontown...

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
The corpse is still warm. Let us grieve before you poo poo all over the thread like you normally do.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, same here. I really liked season 5, and I would have loved another 13 episodes (and a movie).

Honestly though, my order for favourite seasons is not the popular opinion, because mine would be: 3-2-5-1---4

I would maybe flip 1 and 5, but that's not a bad opinion.

There was a fourth season?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Just got back from Harmontown. Dan is drunk (as expected), but in decent spirits. He briefly rapped about a Kickstarter campaign, but otherwise nothing too explicit about his future plans with the show.

Oh, and I got to talk to him and hug him. He's a really cool dude, and I totally respect him.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

computer parts posted:

Endings are fairly important.

Probably most important though is why the endings were bad, which seemed to primarily derive from Troy leaving.

There are plenty of solid episodes without Troy. They got to develop Buzz and Duncan, plus Chang having fun with ghosts.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

bobkatt013 posted:

I was joking due to his cameo in Captain America.

My emotions, MY EMOTIONS!

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
What should we all do to properly thank Yahoo!? Sign up for an email account?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

MrAristocrates posted:

I made it through the Season 4 Community thread, I'm pretty sure I'm loving immortal.

No, it's because you're missing your... soul!

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I do agree the finale was kind of half-assed, but the rest of the season was pretty solid. 5 meowmeowbeans.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Spoeank posted:

Pierce died and left him a bunch of money contingent on him circumnavigating the globe. He is currently doing so held captive by pirates with LeVar Burton.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I think everyone is forgetting how solid the set design crew is for this show. Week by week, they provide detailed, vibrant sets that try to capture the insanity that is Greendale.

• Locked thread