Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Am I crazy for thinking that they already did this reference earlier in the season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

The joke is that instead of some feat of strength or whatever Jeff proves he's worthy by doing an incredibly lovely standup routine. I think you guys are overthinking it.

There's also a bit of meta-commentary in there in that in order to become popular with the audiance, Jeff tells incredibly formulaic jokes that play on (and reinforce) the audiance's prejudices, and his performance is every bit as generic and formulaic as the jokes.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Jummy posted:

Now this is the sort of thing I just don't understand. I mean, I get it that you apparently didn't like it, and that's fine, it's all opinion and people like different things. But not wanting it to come back just because you aren't enjoying it is just such a child's attitude. Well I don't like thing, so no one should get thing! I didn't particularly care for the new Arrested Development, but I know plenty of people did so what does it really matter? If Community finds a new way to air episodes, maybe they'll be good, maybe they'll be poo poo, either way it's pretty certain that at least one person will enjoy them and that doesn't hurt you in any way.

This is the kind of attitude that leads to TV shows shambling on way past the point where they stopped being remotely interesting or relevant. It's good talent being wasted on bad shows, it's new interesting ideas not being given a chance because there's still a drop of blood left in a desiccated husk, it's people watching same god awful poo poo year after year not being confronted with anything new or interesting, because change is scary. Learn to let go, apparently even children know how so maybe it's time you figured it out as well.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Jummy posted:

Turn on your tv and how many options are you presented with? Hundreds if not thousands. Streaming services are putting out more and more content every day. Keeping a show going isn't hurting any of that. If you don't like it, all you have to do is not watch. If a show not being the best show ever hurts your delicate sensibilities, I genuinely feel sorry for you.

But as I said, and maybe I should have tried explain this a little simpler, opinions are different for everyone. A show that's not interesting or relevant to you, is getting enjoyed by someone else right now. Interesting ideas are being thought up as we speak, if Community was given another 12 or 20 episodes, it's not going to kill those ideas.

If you only watch something because of a set of arbitrary guidelines, good for you. You are not everyone. People do things for different reasons. Most children eventually learn that fact, maybe it's your turn?

Hundreds if not thousands of shows that are complete and utter poo poo, with a few rare gems here and there. A show being poo poo doesn't hurt me, but it doesn't interest me either and I don't see the value in practices that lead to such a sorry state of affairs. You seem a little confused: I'm not upset, but I am somewhat amused by you throwing a tantrum about how people are reacting to the news of a TV show well past its prime getting canceled.

People do things for lots of reasons, that doesn't make the reasons valid or the things good. There's all sorts of compulsive hoarders, addicts, etc. who engage in pathological and unhealthy behaviour, but I don't feel the need to endorse that behaviour just because technically yeah everyone's got a right to live however the gently caress they want as long as they're not hurting others. Now, liking poo poo TV isn't exactly pathological, but the same principle applies. So sorry that the show you liked got canceled, but buddy there ain't poo poo you can do about it except accept it, move on and rationalize for yourself how it was actually for the best that things turned out this way.

• Locked thread