Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Illinois Smith posted:

The One Where Jeff Plays Pool In His Underwear
He was naked, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Harmon doesn't hate Chevy.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's always funny when people arguing about which piece of art is objectively better and why (and don't get me wrong. I do it.), but it's doubly funny when it's about Christmas specials.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Awesome return to form.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

The only thing I wish had changed was the lighting from 5x01 (which did really suit it) reverted to 'Classic Community' for the next episode, but that didn't seem to be the case. It's no huge deal, it's understandable that they're trying to run what should be an expensive show on a tight budget, but I miss the nice bright colours :(
Dimmer lighting takes more time and as such is actually more expensive unless you have incredibly talented gaffers who can get cool mood lighting done quicker than "turn most of the 2ks on and call it lit."

When you see a show, like Scrubs for instance, alter its color pallette to be brighter and more colorful, it's usually to save time and money, not the other way around.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tuxedo Jack posted:

All he has to do is drop a line in the finale that he's "heading to New Mexico to help out some lawyer" - (especially if they get Banks for Better Call Saul) and suddenly Community will fit into the Westphall Universe as well.
They're already in Tommy's snowglobe, I thought. Wasn't the examiner from the Law and Order episode an actual examiner from Law and Order?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They could always replace him with somebody like Neil, or Vicky.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Uuuuuuugh.

Episode was great. This page ot so much. And I'm a femnist who believes rape culture is real.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Parks and Rec just got another season and in the thread over there, it's being reported that Community has a pretty good chance.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thanks for putting more work into this than I did. I took it at face value. Didn't mean to mislead anybody.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ov posted:

Also some homosexual in the P&R thread said that this episode and the latest P&R episode had the same plot? I don't understand.
Using homosexual as an insult is really stupid.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They also did one of those for a pro wrestler from Aberdeen. I guess they're just doing shout-outs to all the local celebs on Twitter who are cheering on the Hawks.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

A log line for a spec script is not fanfic.

Y'know, provided you're actually a writer.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

"I'll make your rear end sense" is reason enough to write more for Shirley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QakZR4ioqM

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 1, 2014

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

HOT SQUATS posted:

The apple thing was making fun of those random, nonsensical observations about race you'd see in 90s comedy routines. Comedians would take something perfectly mundane that everybody does (like eating apples) and then say that a certain minority group does it.
The black people love chicken stereotype, for instance.

Y'know who else loves chicken? loving everybody* But for some reason, comedians latched onto that and made it a black thing.

*Except vegetarians and vegans, obviously.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

Its not really a joke.
He/she should've said they were human garbage. It'd be the same dismissive poo poo, but at least it would've been a quote from the show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

...of SCIENCE! posted:

quit tilting at those SJW windmills so much.
I wish posts like this would just die forever and give this one meowmeowbeen.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Irish Joe posted:

come up with something new for a change.
Seriously? You're saying Community doesn't do original things?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Looks like it's just Hollywood Game Night tonight.

Way to Britta our nights, NBC.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

swickles posted:

especially a ridiculous tournament that Warren Buffett put up a billion dollars for someone who called it perfectly.
:stare: W-

Why?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

swickles posted:

Dan Snyder paid him an undisclosed insurance premium to insure the billion dollar payout. Warren Buffet got 6 figures for doing absolutely nothing other than saying that no one will hit 1 in a several trillion odds.
Ah. I don't follow Basketball and didn't realize it was that hard.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If every show is judged by its worst fans, then nothing is any good.

Nothing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Was the epilogue in the hospital supposed to be really bad? Because the jokes felt very 80s Miller Boyett and it even ended with everybody laughing.

It feels like it was deliberate, but it wasn't strong enough if it was.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Deadline is a sony marketing arm so I would put little to no stock in any article that could be conceivably part of Sonys spin team
Conflict of interest? In my journalism?

That being said, what you're saying would actually be quite illegal if it was well and truly completely made up.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Illegal how? There are no laws that say anything you report has to be true or avoid conflicts of interest. The only time truth actually matters is in libel cases.
Wait. Are they publicly traded? This is important.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Irish Joe posted:

It really isn't. If Sony owns a media outlet saying Sony is thinking about doing something, the story confirms itself.
But it's not Sony saying they're doing something. It's a publishing arm making up fake news that makes the company look good.

But I forgot it's Sony, and they're not an American company, and it's a subsidiary of a subsidiary, so I'm waaaaay out of my knowledge base here.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

toomanyninjas posted:

I don't think that's what he's saying. I think he's arguing that it would be questionable if Sony were using its publishing arm to manipulate its stock price through favorable news, not that it's against the law to print untrue things.

It still doesn't matter
That was what I was saying, but again, I forgot it was Sony, so I'm super out of my element here.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I liked Girls until I saw Tiny Furniture and realized Dunham wasn't actually in on her own joke. It made me sad.

Still rooting for her, though, even if I don't like the show anymore.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jummy posted:

I legitimately thought The Soup was on five days a week since it seems to be on tv all day everyday, so I apologize to everyone I argued about in regards to people working two shows. I'm dumb and wrong as always.
Bravo for being one of seven people on the internet to ever acknowledge that you were wrong when confronted with newer, more accurate information.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sefer posted:

They've reported that they're going to have a budget at least as high as season 5, so they're not going to get LESS of a budget than some rink-a-dink operation like NBC.
Boilerplate SAG and IATSE contracts stipulate raises every year, so the longer a show is on the air, the higher its budget needs to be to maintain the same production values.

If they're the same as last year, that's effectively a budget cut.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

1st AD posted:

and I'm not sure you can place that all on a dwindling budget but rather an exodus of talent.
You can. Every minute spent lighting and setting up a shot is time you're paying everybody to stand around while the DP, gaffer, and grips painstakingly set up lights and change lenses and set up dollys and jibs and such. That's a lot of money being spent to get one shot of a guy who's just standing around talking. Television-style shooting was invented because it was cheap. It's not used to be lazy. It's used to save time, which as has been established, is money.

And like I said, everybody gets a raise every year no matter what, and the budget stays roughly the same, so that money increasingly gets funneled away from production and into talent and crew.

Literally every shoot I've ever been on where the DP and director looked at a TV shot, they were more unhappy about it than you were, but there was an AD and a production manager looking at their watches and freaking out.

It's always funny watching gag reels for me now, because I know that the moment the shot is cut, there's an AD yelling "BACK TO ONE! BACK TO ONE!" and looking at his watch and sighing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

My name is Joe and I'm half-Irish, and neither of those things feel awesome right now.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Just watch the season again if you hated it. Marathon it. If you still hate it, I'll listen.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Klungar posted:

Yes, they've said that the budget will be along the same lines as Season 5.
Which means they'll have quite a bit less money to produce the show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Irish Joe posted:

Sony is a multi-billion dollar corporation and Harmon is a multi-millionaire. They shouldn't be asking a bunch of kids and underemployed adults to fund their lovely passion projects.
I agree on principle, but there are worse things than pre-buying a copy of a movie you want to get made to help it get made.

ashpanash posted:

Gross, not net.
Remember, kids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHL91HQzhuc

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

A lot of people don't care about money. Like, way more than you think. Especially artists. Our currency is adoration and attention.

Also, money.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I work in film, dingleberry.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Naylenas posted:

I haven't seen this posted yet:
Greendale Community College
No Professor Professerson. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Remulak posted:

Multicams are the sweetest deal and actor can get. You just show up to work, get handed pages, then read different versions on stage. You ALSO get a bunch of tourists cheering for *anything*. You typically work 2 days a week.

That why it was so funny that Charlie Sheen was "exhausted" by work on 2 and a half men.
Almost none of this is true.

It's less time-consuming than single-cam, for sure, but no. It is not easy.

• Locked thread