Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It was the way he looked as he ran away in that costume that sealed it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brocktoon posted:

What the gently caress is up with McHale? He's looking swole as poo poo. He was practically busting out of that shirt in tonight's episode.

He's always been super-ripped but I've been noticing that he's wearing a lot of much tighter stretchy shirts this season, which I'm very grateful for.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Scholtz posted:

Looks like the rap wasn't completely unscripted/freestyle :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puDSF0pOSoo

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Goddamnit I was wondering why there were no more Between The Takes for this season after episode 6. Fffffffffuck you NBC.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Mash posted:

As someone who hated hated hated season 4 and has yet to start on season 5, how good has the new season been on a scale from 1 to the Schadenfreude joke?

It's Community again. As to whether it's as great as your favourite Community, that's up to you, but it's definitely got that ineffable magical stuff that was missing last season.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Good enough for me.

God, what a dick.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lugaloco posted:

Great episode. I think something's wrong with me though since I found this part by far the funniest:

"Well, it rhymes with "not there"".

"Times Square?"

Just perfect Chang delivery had me rolling.

The best part was the Dean leaning in behind him with a 'really?!' face.

Also I just noticed Hank has the same reaction to a fistbump as Buzz.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 21, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know who I'd have liked to play D&D with them this episode? Real Neal. No big, just as part of their D&D playing group.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Android Blues posted:

That makes sense, it leans in so completely to the GI Joe thing that you could pretty easily watch the first minute, having expected to see a live action sitcom, and switch channels thinking you'd accidentally tuned into a cartoon for children.

Yeah it was playing it straight as a GI Joe cartoon for about ~30 seconds without any Community showing up, I wonder how many viewers they lost during that time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sakarja posted:

40 year old scotch

:aaa:

Harsh burn, Pierce.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Little late to this one, but it really does sound like a lot of the quality issues people had with the humour of the GI-Joe episode were because of the locked-in ahead of time nature of animation development loving with Harmon's normal development process and the way he likes to tweak things constantly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

computer parts posted:

poo poo like "streets ahead" was directly lifted from some internet drama but we haven't really seen that in two or three seasons.

Partly, but it works because it's also partly just that Harmon found something in real life that was ridiculous and amusing to him and put it in show as something ridiculous and amusing. That works. That's writing.

And yeah, 'streets ahead' isn't a particularly uncommon phrase in the UK/AUS/NZ in the same context as 'miles ahead' or 'light-years ahead'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like everyone talking about how this season was a let-down and Community's not worth saving anymore are remembering three or four mediocre episodes at the end and not eight or nine episodes before that where we were all posting oh my god, guys, Community is back every week.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

YOU DON'T
GET
STARRING STORYLINES
WITH
THREE KIDS

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tuxedo Jack posted:

My only regret is that they all died off screen in a horrible Asteroid strike. RIP Greendale.

An asteroid destroyed all human civilisation, not all human life. Clearly this means that Greendale has become a fortress in the post-civilisation apocalyptic wasteland that was once North America I would watch the gently caress out of that spinoff.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Calico Heart posted:

Do goons have super-super short term memory? Like eight episodes in people kept saying how amazing the season was. After the last two (I agree lovely episodes, everyone is now saying this season was "barely better than four" and the like. Seriously, this season had some hiccups, but it gave us some great episodes.

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier; every single week we were having people posting the exact same thing: 'oh my god, guys, Community is back'. A few mediocre episodes at the end and suddenly they've all forgotten.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The only episodes I think were real letdowns were the finale, which I don't think was because of cast departures but rather the nature of the finale beast, and the GI Joe episode, which watching the behind the scenes I think was pretty much Dan Harmon's process getting hosed with by the way animated shows get made.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

The previous Community animated episodes (the christmas claymation and the video game ep) were both really good so....I don't think that was the problem.

He had a lot more time on those. With this one he was writing past the deadline and still not really done.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lord Of Texas posted:

The first two episodes of the season were really promising and exciting because they set up a compelling storyline for the whole of the season, which they didn't end up delivering on at all. So those two look a lot worse in retrospect.

Yeah and the following eight episodes after that of fantastic stuff with near everyone in this thread loving the show and everything mean absolutely nothing in the face of three mediocre ones at the end.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm sure they'll get Troy back for the movie.

In fact, there's your plot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Floor Is Lava episode showed the value of Britta, if nothing else. Plus she was goddamn hilarious in the Textbook Stash negotiations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm pretty drat sure all Season 5 dislike comes from three bad episodes at the end souring the ten great episodes leading into that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One hopes that given the nature of the deal and how they'll air that they can schedule the filming a bit more flexibly than with general TV creation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Babygravy posted:

You forgot to mention the only station that broadcasts it here us pay cable :(

That's the case in the US too. It's just that Australians aren't really used to pay cable the way the US is. And most of the really big shows from overseas go to the free-to-air networks.

Also the single monopolistic PayTV provider in Australia is terrible.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 7, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Let's be honest, if it has to be kickstarted, it's getting made.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

Oh cool, 22 or so minutes of 'Just a sec, gonna do an IP trace on that hacker with a GUI i made from visual basic... enhance, enhance, enhance!'

I might actually watch this for the unintentional comedy factor.

I'm sure it's gonna have loving hologram magic computers with no relation to real technology. I wouldn't be surprised if they have virtual reality chairs where they have to track people physically through the internet cyberscape.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I suddenly have a feeling the first episode of season 6 is going to be about Greendale Community College going online. You know. Coursewise.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CaptainHollywood posted:

I like that. That almost writes itself.

Plus they just got a crazy person obsessed with computers who founded Greendale as a computing school who has contractually-mandated input into the College's future direction, it all comes together perfectly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Or possibly Joel McHale's butt, we can never be sure.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

superjew posted:

:drat:

I wish she'd get some kind of departure. Exposition of some off-camera events explaining a character's absence makes me think of the darkest timeline, and that makes me think of the fourth season, and then I want to drink.

Given the lengths that they went to to get Pierce one, I wouldn't be surprised if she does get one. She clearly has a great deal of love for the show and Harmon, I'm sure they could work something out for one scene or so.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pyroi posted:

The finale slowly zooms out from Abed as it reveals Greendale was inside of a snow globe Abed was looking at, and it all happened in his head. Before the credits roll, Jeff passes him up, without even acknowledging him.

I could totally see Harmon doing this.

Although more likely would be Abed staring at a Greendale snow globe autistically and then they pull further back and Jeff is like 'Oh, you got one of the new Snow Globes from the gift shop?' and they're in the Study Room as normal.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In all seriousness, maybe bringing Abed's girlfriend in full-time might work out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A lot of people's perceptions of Season 5, I think, are coloured by the way that the three weakest episodes were the last three.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drunkencarp posted:

Ninety minutes of Jeff and Annie trying not to make out, while Abed narrates. In the background, Chang and the Dean play Russian roulette.

The thing is, I could easily see this being an episode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Bring Brie Larson back and all will be right. I'll accept any other casting shenanigans.

I wonder if they tried to bring her on as a regular. It'd make sense given all the departures and her preestablished character (although would probably give them young attractive white girl overload given their past diversity).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It looks like some promising episodes hidden underneath a kinda lovely marketing-department-built-trailer that picked out the most cliche clips because that's what marketing does.

• Locked thread