Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Man, Dan Harmon rocked my world tonight. That was so much more emotional than I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

No Butt Stuff posted:

That was great. I hope he come back next year, but if not it was a great send off.

Also, was that the first confirmation that they're in Colorado?

I think so. I don't remember them mentioning that before.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Scissorfighter posted:

The actual lava game felt mostly like a retread, but I really enjoyed the episode because it went a long way towards fixing Britta. She was great here and so was the entire last act with the farewells.

That was part of the point. It was Abed retreating into a fantasy because that's what he does when he doesn't know how to approach the world, and pulling the school into one of its elaborate games because those have given some of the strongest moments of the past. The entire thing pays homage to and pokes fun at paintball 1 and 2 as well as the pillow war because that was when Abed wasn't the only one that was crazy.

Anyway, I think I just read way too deep into things and went a little crazy with my post...

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

superjew posted:

I like how they laid in that he'll be gone "for a year...maybe longer". It sounds like they'd have him back for the season 6 finale at the very least.

or the movie?!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mo0 posted:

It did veer dangerously close to Season 4's "going through the motions but at a surface level only" level, but the way the ending played out almost made it feel like that was deliberate.

The end definitely outweighed any quibbles I had with the first half, though, it was a really good send off.

As I posted earlier, I think the "going through the motions" feel was very deliberate. It helped to set Britta's re-emergence as a rational being apart as well as made sense as Abed's going away send-off.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

absolutely anything posted:

"Levar Burton and non-celebrity companion captured by pirates"

Troy no :ohdear:

noooo! not gulf of mexico pirates!

Chexoid posted:

Yeah deffo the weakest of the season in my eyes. The whole dance subplot was dumb and the Abed thing was weird and kind of went nowhere? The custodial ball with the police chief there was great though. Also Britta being the only one to pick up the "Fat Dogging" thing whole heartedly.

I think he was making a point about the abed's strange connection with women that was first introduced in the first season (the billiards episode). Also reintroducing the coat check girl, which I suppose was something Dan Harmon decided was of value from the gas leak year.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Woden posted:

But she is just a love interest with a gimmick though? Sees Abed dating two women and thinks it's funny and so hangs out with him, then doesn't see him for what, a year? And goes straight into hanging out with him, quitting her pseudo job and watching cartoons.

I'm really hoping that they're setting her up to be a regular character, or at least have a full arc. It was a sort of acknowledgement of something that happened in the gas leak year and a nod at the throwaway character thing. Basically a way to say, hey, sorry about these characters that we've developed and then dropped after an episode, here's one you can have back.

Giving Abed a long-term love interest is something new with the character. Abed's been much more rational this year. Or maybe rational is the wrong term since he's always been rational.

Also you guys are silly. Community is just as good as it's always been when under Harmon, and he can do set-piece episodes and normal ones. He did 3-4 set-piece episodes per season during seasons 2 and 3, and I can bet that he'll continue to do 3-4 set-piece episodes per season as long as they keep him making the show. That we only have 13 total episodes just means it'll be a higher percentage of the season.

But, I can guarantee you guys that none of the episodes are "poo poo" and if you feel so, well, it reminds me of this southpark episode: http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s15e07-youre-getting-old

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

JesusFists posted:

To me, CBS getting Thursday Night football seems like more than marginally good news. With Fox presumably running Idol, and ABC probably trying to imitate them again, Community wouldn't have any network competition (on those nights) for comedy, assuming they get renewed and placed on the fall schedule. And anything beats going up against BBT, right?

Also, Thursday Night Football usually starts at 7:30. So what this does is remove the big bang theory and put a football pregame show up against community's slot. Not bad.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Came to see which goofy reasons people hated this episode for.

Was not disappointed.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

ETB posted:

And that's not a bad thing. We can be critical of things we love. Personally, I appreciate Dan Harmon pushing the boundaries instead of falling stagnant. It's why I watch the show.

No, I hear you. I was actually a little saddened by it because while I thought it was fantastic and near brilliant, it was not an episode for NBC which tells me that he thinks there's little chance for season 6 (and a movie)

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I liked this episode, but then again, I also think that the majority of season 3 was some of Community's finest work, so I guess I'm not to be trusted.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

fount of knowledge posted:

I can't believe nobody else has mentioned "Six people are killed this way every year - and five of them are insurance appraisers, so I take this job very seriously". Maybe it was the spot-on delivery, but that line still makes me laugh every time I think about it.

Cast No Engine posted:

"wow you just made my joke more accurate now it's hilarious" is one of the best lines I've ever heard.

I enjoyed both of these, yes.

When they zoomed in on the sipping of the soup, I thought it was going to be some strange "art" piece of some sort. Or a minor characters type episode. Those would have been wasteful episodes at this point.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Android Blues posted:

I think Rick and Morty is a natural comparison, and I'd say that that's a better show because it goes all out on the bizarreness.

Community often feels like someone's checking on the reins

I think you hit the heart of it. Rick and Morty is an Adult Swim production whose execs said, "Make it strange, make it bizarre" while Community is on NBC and has someone behind it saying, "Make it approachable and oh hey, try to beat out the Big Bang Theory." I prefer Community.

Dan Harmon oft has a direct line to my funny bone (to paraphrase Zombieland w/ Bill Murray). And it's not his jokes that amuse me but his twists on themes. Remedial Chaos Theory, for one, was an episode that was made just for me.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Olibu posted:

Remember back before the show aired? People were wondering why Joel McHale and Chevy Chase were doing a sitcom, and how long they could last on jokes about Community college. Was there any hint as to what Harmon had done before this that would have made even a few people have an idea of what was to come?

Pretty much nothing. He wrote about a quarter of the Sarah Silverman episodes. He'll get another shot at a sitcom down the road once Community goes under.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MrAristocrates posted:

The entire point of the scene was that it made no sense, man. It was wholly obligatory for the purpose of retroactively giving meaning to the last five years.

Made no sense, but still made every bit of sense because why the hell not?

I mean, Jeff just went through a mid-life crisis. Britta's done worse. It's the logical next step to Jeff's transformation into someone quite hum-drum and ordinary.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Android Blues posted:

I get it for Jeff (he's settling into an ordinary life!), but I feel like it does Britta short shrift. He doesn't usually treat her that well or get along with her in particular, so it kind of feels like they're doing "remember the first season? When they liked each other? Well, that's why they still do now!". I guess I don't really get why Britta would want to be with him.

I haven't really gotten the idea that they dislike each other. They bicker like an old married couple, sure, but that's not out of spite or dislike or anything other than the fact that she's an enthusiastic, optimistic idealist and he's a pessimistic realist. In fact, I'd say there's no pair in the study group that is closer now that Troy is off the show.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mexcillent posted:

Plus like aren't they short to syndication? From a financial viewpoint it makes more sense to do a short season like they've been and get it out of the way.

They're already in syndication elsewhere. 80 is the new magic number. I think this is episode 97 overall?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

VagueRant posted:

The characters have gotten wackier, their faults are exaggerated and their positive aspects are basically gone. I mean have we even had a genuine moment of friendship between anyone this season? Or a real Winger speech?

Faults cause conflict, conflict drives plot. Plus, there's not much to explore in a positive aspect unless you exaggerate them to the point of being faults. We know these characters by now and so it's easy to overlook their positive sides.

I feel like we had a good moment between Jeff and Duncan, and Abed's farewell to Troy was genuine, just wrapped in Abed's twisted mind.

I will grant that we could have explored the tension of Abed and Annie living together a bit more. We had the big choose the next roommate episode, but that theme wasn't expanded in the following episodes. There was no resolution for how they'd manage to live together without a bit of Troy-lube as well. Otherwise, Abed's spinoff speech in the finale might have had more of an impact.

VagueRant posted:

Part of it is the shark-jumping cast changes (Although I did really like Buzz Hickey) - that it's just so far removed from what it was without Pierce AND Troy.

It was missing Troy a lot as he was both comic relief and a foil for Abed. Without him, Abed was an empty character, something they touched on in the season.

VagueRant posted:

I kind of wanted to see a proper, satisfying ending for these characters I liked and cared about, but after that I'm not sure Harmon and co. can even do that. I guess it was asteroids. :smith: (Or choose to remember season 3's ending as the end of the show.)

That's the drawback to having a show that doesn't know if it's going to be renewed or not. If they knew it was a series finale, they could have given them all the closure you wanted, but since it wasn't, they had to leave something open. Otherwise, if they were to get renewed, it would be like the scrubs spinoff where they had great resolution in the finale and then suddenly we're supposed to pick right back up with some of the same characters (in the few episodes Zach Braff was actually in)?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
This thread always surprises me in the number of people that pop out that I vehemently disagree with.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

therobotking posted:

I'm glad someone else brought this up. I noticed abed was smiling and generally acting very differently to his usual character the last half of this season. Very irritating.

Blame Nicholas Cage. He broke Abed.

(seriously, I've felt that he's been playing Abed as if he was slightly unhinged, barely hanging on. Certain things bring him back to the real world, like the lack of story. Otherwise he's putting on a face, trying to stay attached to the world).

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ha, Shirley left out again. Must have been busy with her three kids.

was my laziness, not her being left out.

see:

Cloud Potato posted:

Here you go:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

TealShark posted:

Not that it's a huge shocker, but Variety is reporting that Netflix has no plans to pick up a sixth season:

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/netflix-community-canceled-1201177833/

That's a really strange article without much in the way of quote or source for the netflix comment. It seems like everyone is jumping on the "Hulu owns syndication rights, therefore no Netflix" idea.

Still, the issue with Netflix is that Hulu owns the online syndication rights exclusively, so Netflix would have to deal with Hulu to get rights to the back catalog and produce the new season. Apparently the deal, originally done in 2011, was just re-upped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

swickles posted:

So Hulu owns the right to online syndication, but (to me at least) that doesn't mean they own the right to original content. So theoretically Netflix could create new Community episodes and broadcast them, just not the first 5 seasons.

The problem is that they wouldn't want to stream it without its back catalog. You're saying, "Hey here are new episodes of that show you love. New to the series? Well go watch it on a competitor's stuff"

• Locked thread