Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Victor Vermis posted:

I could see a teacher's lounge drink minimum being a thing dropped into the dialogue somewhere.

Annie's gotta be 21 by now, though.

The idea of Jeff being forced to drink soda in clear defiance of his diet has comedy potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

ladyboy pancake posted:

Hi thread, I've been introducing my younger brother to Community over the last couple months, and we just finished season three together. The plan was we would skip most of season 4 with the exception of of the good ones that this thread has mentioned, but my brother is completely in love with Troy and isn't ready to see him go in season five. To be honest, I'd like to see him (and Pierce) for a little bit longer too. My question is, how much of season four is just ho-hum compared to absolutely terrible? If we were to watch most of the season, are there any episodes we should avoid like the plague?

I absolutely hated “Alternative History Of The German Invasion” and “Advanced Introduction To Finality”. ALHotGI is just boring, unfunny, and completely missable; it's the only episode of Community I'd call a chore to watch. AItF is a terrible mess, but you'll probably want to watch it since Season 5 directly follows up on that episode's ending.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

DoctorWhat posted:

The Germans episodes has what Harmon and I agree is the best joke ever, "Hogan's Villains", so maybe that's worth something?

And watch the Freaky Friday episode, it owns.

That is a good joke, but it's stranded in what I'd argue is the worst episode of the show.

I also vote for the Freaky Friday episode.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Irish Joe posted:

That was a stupid recommendation. Eccleston's episodes are the trashiest of trashy British television. Depending on the person, I'd recommend Vincent and the Doctor or The Impossible Astronaut for first timers.

Or maybe he just doesn't like Doctor Who because it's not for him.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Irish Joe posted:

Yes, my opinions are poo poo because I don't recommend the episode with BURPING GARBAGE ALIENS.

Who fans are the worst.

I really like The Impossible Astronaut, but it's not very new viewer friendly.

You recommended a story that doesn't have a proper ending because it's intended to start a season's worth of stories. That season's worth of stories is widely uneven and a terrible place to start a new fan, since if they did pick up the rest of season six based on that two parter, they will still be stuck sitting through episodes that might turn them off to the show entirely.

Vincent and the Doctor is a fine enough recommendation, though.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Irish Joe posted:

The Impossible Astronaut has a cool sci-fi premise, introduces a ton of interesting hooks, and is an all-around fun episode. Also, the first half of season 6 is pretty solid (the only exceptions being The Black Spot and parts of A Good Man Goes to War).

I'm a big fan of the first half of season 6, but finding out who the Impossible Astronaut is involves watching Let's Kill Hitler. I really doubt you'd recommend that to anyone.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
How about:

GIJoe: Greendale is Jeff's Old Enemy

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

TealShark posted:

Last night's episode hit a series low rating of 0.9 (2.58M viewers). drat.

At this point, NBC has nothing to replace Community with; it just depends on when they realize that they are not taking back 8PM on Thursday until TBBT ends its run.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

I hope this means the rest of cast can grab some high profile gigs, too.

I don't like Girls, but this means Gillian Jacobs will be filming in a location near me. I'll call that a win.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

PostNouveau posted:

Agreed. I always gorge myself on Netflix originals over a weekend or so. I'd much rather an episode a week.

Edit: Also, the one-day dump doesn't allow for group viewing. I don't know if there's an official rule or anything, but I bet the Orange is the New Black thread is still using spoiler tags. You can't post on Facebook about the episode you just saw or go read the AV Club review because everyone is on a different time frame.

Community isn't going to become a binge watchable show in its sixth season, so it makes sense to give each new episode room for individual promotion.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Kuiperdolin posted:

Blackadder-like period piece where they all play their ancestors.

I would love to see this. You could get away with having someone else play a Hawthorne ancestor, too.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

UltraShame posted:

Just FYI, you're replying to Comic Book Guy.

No, seriously, go back and read his posts in Comic Book Guy's voice. I promise it's worth it.

Or use the ignore button on him. I'd argue that's also worth it.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Spacebump posted:

Didn't season 3 episodes get their own threads while season 4 was so much less popular in TVIV that the whole season was one thread? I remember enjoying some episodes in 4 but actually laughing out loud significantly less.

Season 4 has the only episodes that I felt were chores to watch. I was counting the seconds till Alternative History of the German Invasion ended.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

In It For The Tank posted:

The Jesus Abed episode in Season 2 was way worse than anything in Season 4.

That episode had some solid jokes about Pierce's space cult, and I do love that ending between Shirley and Abed. I was raised Catholic, so that may be why it speaks to me.

Finally, only the "Hogan's Villains" joke keeps the Germans 2 from being completely worthless.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Rochallor posted:

Jesus Abed is one of my favorite episodes.

The moment when Abed realizes he's not the next Charlie Kaufman and instead just made a lovely student film is one of the best subversions of Abed's magical autism that the show ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

bobkatt013 posted:

Abed vs Keith David in a 15 minute fight over something like a notebook.

If there isn't one They Live reference, I'll rewatch Season 4.

• Locked thread