Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Honestly I've never been a huge fan of Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas. Regional Holiday Music is drastically better in basically every way.

Not really, all the "music" is really bad and the episode is one really badly written Glee joke. 'WHAT'S REGIONALS!?!?!??!?!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

"great" is not the word I would use to describe it

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I wish Jim Rash could write more episodes because he's real good at that writing thing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Sakarja posted:

IIRC the same goes for Inspector Spacetime, because IP rights and lawyers. Thanks, capitalism!

lol is this for real? Because if so thank god, Inspector Spacetime is the worst thing ever.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

El Tortuga posted:

I don't know if this is too close to :filez: or whatever, but I don't have cable right now and I'm wondering if there's a good NBC stream I can find somewhere? I have gotta watch this live.

NBC is free to air :confused:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Herstory of Dance is pretty good. The A-story is perfunctory; Britta is being Britta and Jeff (and the Dean) are trying to take her to task for it, but Pierce ironically is the one to save her and basically tells Jeff to lay off.

But the B-plot involves Abed doing one of those two dates on the same night things, then ends up getting a girlfriend for real in Brie Larson and she's really cute :3:

1st AD fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 2, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

:doh: got those two mixed up but yeah it was real cute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7psSqvutsl4

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I know I'll be torn apart in this thread for voicing this opinion, but . . .

Holy crap, those were awful. Really awful. I didn't even smile once.

I mean, did Troy suffer brain damage? Or has he always been that stupid? "You faked a robot fight?"

It looks like they had one chance to redeem Pierce, but they threw it away for "Is that gay" joke?

The Nic Cage class felt like a plot straight out of season 4. And then they referenced the far more successful "Who's the Boss?" class, reminding you that they've done this before, and better. It should have been a throw away joke, not a plotline.

And ending the first episode on a fart joke? I though Harmon would be better than that.

Well, at least Parks and Rec is back next week.

And seriously, what was up with McHale's face? Did he get work done? It looks like someone to a smoothing tool to the footage.

I agree, I don't understand how so many people think this was good when I kind of felt like it was season 4 all over again. The second episode really felt like a lot of season 4 episodes where they're jamming in too many subplots and the writing doesn't really wrap everything up nicely together.

I really like Jonathan Banks though, the scenes with him and Jeff were actually really good. Also the Abed as Nic Cage was surprisingly well done, but the rest of it was pretty forgettable to me. I didn't really laugh during anything except Pierce's force ghost hologram appearing and Abed Be(ing) Cageing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Well to be fair, nobody would buy a single Childish Gambino album if it weren't for Community.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Her character is a good foil for Abed, she's apparently just as spergy as he is but is a lot more well adjusted.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I thought the episode would have been a hell of a lot better if the look wasn't blatantly aping a distinct visual style. To me, one of the funniest things about the show was how all the insane poo poo went on, but it still had its own look. It's cool to do occasional call outs, but to base the entire episode around it really took me out of it. It was a parody of a Fincher film, and that's all I could see when I watched.

I think back to the season one episode "The Science of Illusion", where Annie and Shirley became campus security, and could only think how awful it would have been if they had tailored the look of the episode to copy the exact look of say, Don Siegel or Michael Bay, instead of doing their own thing.

I really didn't think this episode was funny at all and it was compounded by the really poorly done color grading trying to ape a Fincher flick.

I'm really quite shocked that you all loved this, to me it seemed like more of the same bullshit in season 4 - the episodes are trying way too hard to be Community-like that they forgot how to be funny.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It's still kind of creepy to me because the show spends a lot of time infantilizing Annie.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

This was...a funny episode of Community? Holy poo poo. Best episode this whole season, too bad it required Pierce to be in it by proxy (because he's gone now).

I'm gonna miss Donglover, hopefully he gets another TV gig when his music career flops.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Koalas March posted:

What's wrong with you?

Idk why everyone in this thread says he'd have no hip hop career without community. All the kids I know that listen to childish gambino are black kids like me and none of them watch community. It really seems like white hipsters are just mad at him for leaving. Dude had a career beyond/before community.

His rhymes are weak and his flow is poo poo, hth

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Volume posted:

I still remember people demanding that those who didn't find season 4 funny be banned. Every week the pharse "If you think season 4 lost it's soul then you need to define soul!" was shouted out left and right.

lmao this is the biggest lie ever, bigger than Jeff's fake degree.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Season four the thread was about as good as Season four the season.

And therefore let us never speak of it again.

Herstory of Dance and the Jim Rash episode were good episodes of a TV show called Community :colbert:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Calico Heart posted:

I honestly don't get why people like Herstory of Dance.

Character growth for Abed. Pierce does a good thing. Cute guest star.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Who we've never seen again.

She's coming back.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Mo0 posted:

Unfortunately, he's too busy being on NCIS: LA to come back.

I wish i was kidding.

Dude is getting paid and the residuals he makes off that turd of a show will be more than anything Community could have ever offered, so...

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I really liked this one so it's no shock that a bunch of you didn't like this because it wasn't a giant pop culture set piece episode.

Jokes are good. I like it when there's jokes in Community.

Also I hope this isn't the last we see of Brie Larson because :3:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Death By The Blues posted:

Because this episode didn't have any pop culture references at all...

This is wrong, you are wrong.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

ov posted:

Also some homosexual in the P&R thread said that this episode and the latest P&R episode had the same plot? I don't understand.

Some what???

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

computer parts posted:

Good(?) news for Community, it looks like CBS is picking up Thursday Night football instead of NBC.

On the one hand, having one major network not air sitcoms on that night is good for NBC's shows in that slot.
On the other hand, it's motherfucking football and now nobody will watch NBC on Thursday, at all.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I like the Britta/Duncan and Chang plots, Jeff was dead weight and ugh that Abed plot.

That tag was just killer though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Because none of it was funny and I like sitcoms that are funny and have jokes.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Jesus Louise posted:

Who was Chang yelling at on the phone? He said a name, but I didn't catch it.

It was his wife/ex-wife I think.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

This episode, like many in seasons 4 and 5, seems rushed as poo poo, like they wrote enough material for a 40 minute episode then cut it down to 20 without cutting any scenes.

I want to see a longer cut of this episode, because it has so much potential.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah Community is fairly future proofed, I think every episode besides the pilot was shot on 4k or 5k.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Arrested Development Season 5 please.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Stayne Falls posted:

AD S5 and Community S6 unfolding concurrently in the same universe.

This is probably the only way AD Season 5 happens, period.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

mcbexx posted:

That would make so much sense, Britta could become a certified Analrapist!

Theralyst :colbert:

ultramiraculous posted:

They both have that type of crazy talent and insane lack of perspective that makes for a great product. I'd love to see it.

The world would be consumed in a singularity of ego and self-loathing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Holy poo poo this was a legitimately awesome episode. Not as great as the Pierce funeral one, but still. A couple things made it work:

1)No homages
2)Kept to 2 plots and didn't jump around like crazy
3)Let Jim Rash steal the show

Also Vince Gilligan! In an episode with a plot that is vaguely Breaking Bad-esque! And Gina Gershon! drat Gina is looking hotter these days than she did like a decade ago.

I really hope Brie Larson sticks around because she's super :3:

1st AD fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 14, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I think it actually says "library hours will be reduced."

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

Tell you what, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. I will buy the first person to come up with a reason to watch the entirety of Community season 4 that isn't behavioral or equivocal an avatar. No "at least its not," "you already watched" or "what else you gonna do" bullshit. Sell the season--the ENTIRE season--on its own merits or GTFO.

Thank you.

There are funny jokes in this sitcom about attractive looking people, sometimes they make jokes about pop culture with a wink and a nod that make you laugh or think.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah this was a good episode but shooting it inside the apartment must've been really annoying. It visually felt a lot more cramped than Remedial Chaos Theory somehow.

The one thing about the original D&D episode is that even though it was a bottle episode, the study room is so huge that you can still do some cinematic looking camera moves and that was a huge part of why I loved it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Watommi posted:

What was hanging on the wall behind David Cross when they were in the separate room? It was like a backlit box with what looked like circuit components arranged on it. Is that from something earlier in the show, or what was that?

I remember seeing it during the gas leak year.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Maybe.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Beeez posted:

I never saw the finale, what was so bad about it?

It's a paintball episode that nobody asked for or wanted.

And the whole thing revolved around Abed's Darkest Timeline which I hated once it became a plot point and not just a one-off joke.

But ended up taking place in Jeff's head somehow.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Rob Corddry's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

D&D is a bad and boring game, the only role-playing game that looks any fun at all is the fake "True American" game from New Girl that is a mix of American trivia plus the floor is lava thing from this season of Community plus excessive beer drinking.

• Locked thread