Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas is warm, funny, and great overall. Easily the best Community Christmas episode.

I.
M.
H.
O.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Death By The Blues posted:

Re-watching some season 4 episodes, and its worse then I remember. This puppet is plain awful.

I tried rewatching season 4 with my girlfriend recently and we couldn't even get through two episodes. It's just that bad.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MrAristocrates posted:

That makes no sense to me because the Inspector Spacetime stuff really never went much further than "Look, Blorgons!" It was a pretty shallow parody, all things considered. I don't understand why they'd need to check for infringement.
Did you study law at Greendale?

Plus, I think they've done more than that. I've heard that there's some kind of Inspector Spacetime convention episode in season four that's filled with characters and references, but I can't be sure because I might have dreamt about it during a bout with food poisoning.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

guys how do I watch tv

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

That plot ended, the group just never found out he was faking it. But they also never believed it in the first place.
Not totally sure, but didn't Abed figure it out and keep it a secret?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

JayMax posted:

So that's the story circle in its initial position. Wonder if the arrow's going to move as the season advances.

I took it to mean that those dots in the upper left quadrant indicate we're in the last position on the story circle.

But anyway, both of these episodes were great. I was almost in tears from the single tear rolling down chair-Troy's face.

"We're not going to be able to bury dad with the rest of the family."

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

But Jeff and Pierce were the only ones to graduate at the end of season 4, so everyone else should have had at least another semester. Not that Harmon would pass up an opportunity to bash on season 4, but at the same time it explains the time jump and also might make for some funny flashbacks to the "gas leak year" if it was the semester/year that Jeff and Pierce were graduated but everyone else was there.
Season 4 is the gas leak year. It's so painfully obvious that's what they meant.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

can we please talk about the lighting and Jeff's face for another five or six pages?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its like God spilled a person

But... We saved him.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm so happy about this episode. Fantastic.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mustached5thGrader posted:

"I know the color scheme was pure Fincher and the letters were obvious and direct references to the Zodiac's letters and that it had an ambiguous ending as to whom the rear end crack bandit was, but I'm going to insist this was a riff on literally anything but Zodiac because I am a dumdum and I like to eat my own poop and drink my own pee"

What?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's pretty obvious that Greendale is supposed to be Smalltown, USA and yeah maybe they've referenced Colorado on written props, but they've never ever written a story where the geographic location/state laws have mattered to the plot. They aren't going to start now.

Saying Greendale takes place in Colorado is just a another version of "Breaking Bad definitely takes place in 2008 guys it was on a prop!"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Unmerciful posted:

Loved the episode but I wish they had the guts to pick a direction with the Jeff/Annie thing rather than just hanging a lampshade on it and letting it continue to drag on. I mean Jesus we've been watching them make googly eyes at each other for 4 years now...

They're totally going to do it this season.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Chairman Mao posted:

He's got a podcast though, he should just start putting out unofficial commentaries there and getting people to sync it themselves. It's not like the idea's never been done before.
Yeah, but at this point he probably wants to keep Community on the air as well as keep the job he was just rehired to do. Doing a profane, unofficial commentary could get him fired again.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:aaa:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Man, what a great episode. I can't think of a better exit for Troy.

No Butt Stuff posted:

That was great. I hope he come back next year, but if not it was a great send off.

Also, was that the first confirmation that they're in Colorado?

Yeah, I used to ramble about how Community takes place in "Everytown, USA" and no where in particular, but that's totally wrong.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, I will admit I didn't stare at my DVD cases enough. Must have skipped the promo website, too. Shameful. Thanks for the heads up.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Just rewatched this episode and I missed Duncan's "My self-published novels aren't going to publish themselves!" line the first time around. Good stuff.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

swickles posted:

I agree, the bottle episodes are the best, especially the first bottle episode with Abed complaining about it. I even think the Puppet episode last season stands out as one of the best of the season and in terms of tone and writing would have fit in fine with season 2 or 3.

I'm glad someone out there likes the puppet episode. I think it's one of the worst in the entire show's run.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Loved the fat dog stuff. It's so dumb, but it hit the mark with me.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fog Tripper posted:

I have yet to watch an episode that "I really didn't like". There have been episodes that I feel were weaker than other more awesome ones, but how can someone come away from a community episode leaning toward the negative?

I don't get it.

Pretty much loving all of this season so far.

I prefer to think that folks are just saying that they didn't like the episode relatively compared to other Community episodes-- like it wasn't as strong. Which I get.

I don't think anyone's saying "oh this is bad. bad television." At least I'd hope not.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

This was by far my favorite episode so far, I was pretty much giggling the whole time at the stupid Abed sign language jokes, and the Bear Down / Fat Dog gags, especially when Chang and Shirley played the race card. The fat dog dance Chang definitely didn't make up was hilarious. And the whole dirty politics thread Annie followed with Hickey. And the John Oliver bit at the end. Was Joel McHale even in this episode?

He was bearing down for the dance.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Using homosexual as an insult is really stupid.

Come on guys, he's just channeling Pierce.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

EnsGDT posted:

God dammit I love Spencer. He is terrifying.

Also, it definitely looks like a picture of the writing staff, which is my guess.

I'm pretty sure the woman second from the right in the middle row is Harmon's wife.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Please god can we draw a line and stop this discussion right now?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yep, a classic for sure.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I just rewatched it and I liked the part where the fours scoff at Jeff for being a new four. Like there's a little hierarchy inside the hierarchy.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

The P&R Thread is even worse right now.

Offtopic, but I watched P&R for the first time in two and a half years last week and man that show's writing situation is dire. It's everything I hoped that TV show wouldn't become.

I'm guess I'm saying that we have it pretty drat good with Community. It still has interesting things to say.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Aw, Parks & Recreation sucks now?!? What happened?!? That show used to be awesome!
Not sure, but I think it's a much better example of a show turning its characters into caricatures. Community may have dipped its toes into this a little, but in the latest P&R, Andy thought he was immune to bee stings because he was stung once before.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

...are you saying that's out of character for Andy? You know he's always been that dumb, right?

Not out of character, no. But it just felt wrong to me. He's dumb, yeah, real dumb, but not knowing that a bee has a stinger that can pierce your skin is just silly.

Maybe not the best example, but it's the first one that popped in my head.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:aaa:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

We found a way to make paintball cool again. :obama:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

Sounds like he was playing with Dan Harmon's girlfriend.

i take off my backpack and tie a rope to it and i shoot TWO arrows at my own feet and GUYS WE SHOULD PUT ON A SHOW
I'd probably get tarred and feathered at Harmontown for saying this, but the DnD parts of Harmon's podcast are the hardest for me to get through. It was fun for about 6 episodes but I can barely sit through the drunken DnD sessions anymore. I think I'm behind by almost 20 episodes now because of that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nope, it's next week.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ugh, can we unplug the internet?

http://imgur.com/5d8nLMW

Harmon's fiance made that for him

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I liked it, but I thought it deserved more time. I don't think we'll ever get a "super-sized" episode of Community :(

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Season 3 was just fine in my book. It gave us Remedial Chaos Theory, Pillows and Blankets, and Basic Lupine Urology. Great stuff. The rest of the season varied in quality, but was still good television.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Unmerciful posted:

My opinion on this season (unnecessarily long and possibly incomprehensible):

I think that Community is operating at a different level from about every other comedy on TV this season. I just don't see any other comedy - network or cable - that is constantly willing to challenge itself to deliver (Harmon wrote D&D2 as a specific gently caress you to the network) (edit: except Archer, obv.). I guess I understand why the show is often perceived as hollow and insincere, as though it's just a vehicle for every smarmy Harmon impulse, but for me it is so much more satisfying than the numbing familiarity of every other late-season sitcom. While pretty much every show eventually declines in quality, Harmon is too self-aware to go quietly and has the ego to believe that he can evolve the form. I think that kind of ambition is worth celebrating even if it's occasionally self-congratulatory and petty and flawed. I know that not every episode worked completely (I'm out of the specific G.I. Joe demographic by a couple years) but I give points for effort and for trying... something.

I think that for some reason people now hold this show to an almost impossible standard - I remember the incredible popularity it had while airing season 3 and now everyone is very restrained. It's like the real life story of production over the past couple seasons has overwhelmed what's on the screen and sapped everyone's attention and patience. But if I compare the current season to how remarkably lazy and self-indulgent even a show like Parks and Recreation has become this season (where every characters' personality is dialed up to 11, occupations and most plot lines are completely meaningless, glacial plot development, etc.) I only appreciate Community more.

Arrested Development is the only other comedy I've seen that is willing to throw this much poo poo at the wall, to try as hard as the writers and actors do. Think about how many tones 'Basic Story' shifts through, the varied oblique references to The Truman Show and EDtv, and the layered plot (bottom: recognition by the characters of how they are caught in a loop; middle: Abed realizes that it is all a show; top: meta history of Greendale as Community's fractured production history, rehabilitation and current predicament of imminent cancellation/syndication). I can only imagine that while P&R and Modern Family writers are at home with their kids at 9pm, Community's writers are prepping for another all-nighter around a whiteboard. Yet pretty much every review says there is not much to this episode beyond set-up for next week. Every show deigns to do a concept episode now and then (HIMYM & Scrubs did their share, Trophy Wife just did Scandal) but Community, which treats convention like a plague, is just counting down the minutes until they can go all in on the next one.

The show is pretty much impenetrable to new viewers at this point (Harmon has basically written off the very concept of new viewers) but carries on a constant conversation and parrying act with the fans and the critics. What's going on with Annie and Jeff? Let's have the Dean put a finger on it directly. What was Pierce's legacy on the show? On P&R this would have been pure schmaltz and sentiment; on Community it is 7 canisters of frozen sperm and a boat trip around the world. How long can Jeff and Britta keep going through the motions while everything and nothing changes? Throw them into a marriage they both know is depressingly predictable. Every episode was a thematic callback to a prior season episode with a tweak (Bandit/Conspiracy Theories, Polygraphy/Calligraphy, Duncan & Britta/Mixology Certification, etc.) and advanced character growth through even absurd story lines. Personally, for me D&D2 is the most re-watchable episode of the show (probably because it moderates the uncomfortable stakes of D&D1 and doesn't raise questions as to why the group voluntarily continues to hang out with a man who almost bullied someone into suicide out of spite).

I guess I'm fully indoctrinated into the 'Cult of Harmon' at this point but I truly believe he put together one of the most cohesive and impressively-written seasons of TV that I've seen - for me it's night and day from how cynically season 4 tried to recreate the beats of the first 3 seasons. Instead he used season 5 as potentially a last opportunity to prove how ambitious and experimental a network show could be in his hands - it was imperfect but I think he succeeded. There are a few transcendent comedies on TV right now (Veep, Archer, Review, Rick and Morty) and a lot of pretty good ones but Community is the only one that promises to hit a home run for the kid in the hospital and then gets to the plate and starts swinging.

I've put too much thought into this and maybe I'm alone but I thought I would put it out there.

Agreed 100%. Community has its flaws, but it runs laps around other shows in terms of writing talent and care. I love this post because it expresses exactly how I feel about Community much more eloquently than I could.

Community after five seasons (and a gas leak year) is still fresh and feels new. How often does that happen?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I liked both parts. They were wacky and a little off, but I was entertained and laughed the whole time. I still maintain that even though these last two episodes were weak, they are nothing compared to the terrible finale last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Finally, we're getting to the core of Community's very real problems:

Jeff+Britta being the same character and Community desperately trying to be a sitcom after season 2. Both extremely nuanced and interesting ideas. Let's keep these discussions going, folks. Really riveting stuff.

Can we discuss season 1 and 2's "jokes that are funny" a little more, though?

• Locked thread