Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

The camera didn't capture the colors very well yes but i have literally never seen a stoplight with green on top. Even the sideways ones seem to be going out of fashion. Where do you live?

I didn't really notice the position, just the color in the tiny pic my phone shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've accidentally run a red before too. It can happen, and it's everyone's responsibility to drive defensibly so that a small mistake by another driver is less likely to be fatal. I don't think Shakytm posted that video thinking he was faultless.

Jumping the green is probably more dangerous than running a fresh red, because when you run a fresh red, the other cars are presumably only just starting into the intersection, while jumping the green means pulling out in front of drivers who are at full speed - especially ones trying to squeeze through the yellow. But what is fully damning is the green jumper has a full and unobstructed view of sharkytm's approach. He is not only jumping the green, he's not looking to the side roads to see what may be coming.

Green-jumper is putting his side of the car into a side-impact. Sharktym is far less likely to take a fatal injury here. Purely from a defensive "try not to die while driving" standpoint, green-jumper is doing the worse thing.

Sharkytm's the one with the manslaughter charge in that fatal collision, though. So from the perspective of legal hazard... he's in much worse shape. Yikes.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

I've accidentally run a red before too. It can happen, and it's everyone's responsibility to drive defensibly so that a small mistake by another driver is less likely to be fatal. I don't think Shakytm posted that video thinking he was faultless.

Jumping the green is probably more dangerous than running a fresh red, because when you run a fresh red, the other cars are presumably only just starting into the intersection, while jumping the green means pulling out in front of drivers who are at full speed - especially ones trying to squeeze through the yellow. But what is fully damning is the green jumper has a full and unobstructed view of sharkytm's approach. He is not only jumping the green, he's not looking to the side roads to see what may be coming.

Green-jumper is putting his side of the car into a side-impact. Sharktym is far less likely to take a fatal injury here. Purely from a defensive "try not to die while driving" standpoint, green-jumper is doing the worse thing.

Sharkytm's the one with the manslaughter charge in that fatal collision, though. So from the perspective of legal hazard... he's in much worse shape. Yikes.

Yup. And yes, hitting the throttle wasn't the right thing to do. The perspective is kinda odd, the camera is really high, etc... still my fault. He'd still be dead if I hit him square in the driver's door at 30mph. He wasn't trying to jump the light either, it was a tourist who did a stop & go.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGW_xBhRe5o

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

I like how Hi-Vis Man jumped right into action. More people should be like Hi-Vis Man.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of red lights being optional:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0DQEMMByhM

Now this red light does suck. I used to have to cross this intersection to turn left going home from work, and I can tell you the red for that direction is a full 60 seconds EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. :argh:

Having said that, you can't just fuckin' drive through, dummy.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
To be fair, you didn't stop before taking a right on red, either. That's also technically running a light...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
When it's dark enough I can see the green lights behind me reflected in those blue signs in front of me, so I know if there's no oncoming traffic the it's 'safe' (though not strictly legal) to turn right. I've spent a lot of time sitting at that intersection over the last few years. "The real heroes anyway aren't the people doing things; the real heroes are the people NOTICING things, paying attention." :smuggo:

vvv Just saw this in the schadenfreude thread, was also disappointed when they didn't keep the counter going for the entire video.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 25, 2018

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6C7VJz8FrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thGmd87FM9I

Should have kept the counter going IMO.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The driver of the car was being an idiot by trying to cut in ahead of oncoming traffic, but this is a good demonstration of why lane splitting on the outside of a lane while going through an intersection - especially next to a full-size pickup that obscures both you from the turning vehicle and the turning vehicle from you - is a bad idea.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

So my dad almost got creamed by a semi this morning. It was totally his fault too, in his words "I had to change my pants when I got home"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X9lp6qGnZo

He thought the SUV ahead of him had tripped the green arrow, but it didn't. You can see him flicking his lights at the guy, thinking he was napping at the arrow. You guys are well aware how the fisheye on a dashcam makes things look farther away, so holy poo poo was this close. Thankfully he chose the only correct option of gunning it to get out of the path. If he had panic stopped he would have been a splatter.

He's usually a very careful driver, he said it's the closest he's come to a very serious accident.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Here is my $27,000 wreck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf_eUnM0OuM

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

hahaha I love how the other driver just keeps trying to push/shoulder through, after hitting you. And then giving you those wild gestures, afterwards! :D
What an idiot - did he really think he was in the right, shooting out across your lane without a care in the world? If you don't mind me asking, what was he saying/yelling? I hope he wasn't being abusive, after knocking that $27,000 bit of plastic off your car!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The number of times that has almost happened to me.

It amazes me that people will cut across multiple lanes of stopped cross traffic and not look for a car coming in the other unblocked lane.

At least it shows you were 100% in the right of way, no matter what "points at eyes" man might think.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 6, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It amazes me that people will cut across multiple lanes of stopped cross traffic and not look for a car coming in the other unblocked lane.

At least it shows you were 100% in the right of way, no matter what "points at eyes" man might think.

One thing I always think of is if I leave a gap for this dude to turn will he end up doing this?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Hahaha and the loving idiot was telling you to use your eyes. I keep telling my GF (that's learning to drive) that these types of situations should always be avoided, and you shouln't turn through lines of traffic like that. Avoid at all costs.

Edit: ^^^^^ Exactly the same here. I try to avoid letting people through for this reason. Only if the other lane has very slow moving traffic.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, it's just shocking how often it happens, down here in Aus too. (Although thankfully when it happens down here, they generally only come half out instead of going across fully. So at least that way you can sorta swerve out the way :v:)
If I'm in the blocked lane, I'll generally keep an eye out and gesture if it's clear/not clear to the driver wanting to turn right, (or left, in your case) so that I don't need to stop and be a witness if they throw themselves into a car

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Austin area?

Only TX city I've lived in that had those crosswalk lights anyway. I've only been here 5 weeks, and don't run into as many stupid drivers as I did in DFW, but when I do, holy gently caress are they loving stupid. I had a guy gun it and make a left turn from the right turn lane a week after I got here and clip me, then tell me "I do that all the time at this intersection and nobody's ever hit me". :fuckoff: (2 lanes turn left, 1 lane is bus-only right turn, 1 is regular vehicle right turn).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 6, 2018

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

What broke, it seems reasonably benign...?

Love the gesturing. In almost all jurisdictions, turning left (or right, in Australia/UK etc.) is solidly at the top of the list of must-I-yield.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bolind posted:

Love the gesturing. In almost all jurisdictions, turning left (or right, in Australia/UK etc.) is solidly at the top of the list of must-I-yield.

I am guessing that the wooden cart wheels that he appears to be running are very expensive to replace.

Possibly the coils have been replaced by rods made of diamond.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

Front clamshell on a Lotus?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, it's just shocking how often it happens, down here in Aus too. (Although thankfully when it happens down here, they generally only come half out instead of going across fully. So at least that way you can sorta swerve out the way :v:)
If I'm in the blocked lane, I'll generally keep an eye out and gesture if it's clear/not clear to the driver wanting to turn right, (or left, in your case) so that I don't need to stop and be a witness if they throw themselves into a car

All lanes have to be blocked for me to even consider leaving a gap (and everyone else cooperating). If even one lane isn't blocked then you are contributing to a crash happening like the vid.
And the other downside is if the car turning gets stuck crossing after you've got a green/clear road ahead, which is just loving yourself over.

Not leaving a gap on a multi lane rd is the safest option. The turning driver will be angry at you but they won't get into a crash at least; you're not responsible for what drivers in other lanes do - unless you want to get out of your car and walk them through, if that's what you want to do then fine. Otherwise you may get way more angry drivers behind you for letting someone block your lane after they can't cross safely and your lane gets a green or clears up.
Leave a gap only on single lanes.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I scratched the Exige as a possible fun car because of the clamshells.

Both wrecks I've been in have been similar to this with cars turning into me across a stopped turn lane when they couldn't see oncoming traffic in the other lane(s). Except I was doing 30ish+ when I hit my folks. I'm obviously not a fan of obstructed view turn lanes any more.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fknlo posted:

I scratched the Exige as a possible fun car because of the clamshells.
I had the opposite thought when I found out about the clamshell cost. The idea of a car that's financially impractical to return to "showroom" visual condition but is still mechanically sound seems like a win-win to me. Get the car for a lot cheaper than otherwise possible without affecting anything I actually care about.

I just can't physically fit in one. I tried getting in to an Elise once and got about 2/3 of the way in before deciding it wasn't worth going further, and I can't imagine a roof would make it any easier.

quote:

Both wrecks I've been in have been similar to this with cars turning into me across a stopped turn lane when they couldn't see oncoming traffic in the other lane(s). Except I was doing 30ish+ when I hit my folks. I'm obviously not a fan of obstructed view turn lanes any more.
I've been the guy on the other end of that one once, took a wave-through from the near lane when I was late to class back in college and got hit by traffic in the far lane. Totalled my new (to me) Thunderbird and the other guy's Kia Sportage. I had good liability coverage so he was handled, but no comprehensive meant my car was $3500 down the drain. Never again.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I'm not blaming anyone, or arguing with anyone here. Just sincerely asking.

To me it looks like the dashcam car pulled into a turning lane for the driveway where the other car was headed. Instead of turning into that driveway though, the dashcam car was going straight all the way to the street up ahead. Wouldn't that be driving on the shoulder and the dashcam car would be at fault?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
It's not a shoulder, it's a right turn lane for the intersection ahead at the light. The lines on the road are marking a bike lane which intentionally overlap right turn lanes so that you don't turn across cyclists trying to go straight.

edit: which is to also say crazy arm truck man would have brick walled a cyclist all the same doing that. Here's the sign that's just a few yards before the driveway where the accident happened:

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 6, 2018

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

Yeah, that exact situation happened to me yesterday on my bike commute -- straight lane was stopped, I was in the bike lane doing ~20mph, gap opened in straight lane, and narrowly avoided getting bodied by a red 3-series punching through the gap. Legally, the 3-series would have been at fault; in practice, it was something I should have been looking for if I were behaving like a defensive cyclist, and the only laws that really matter in the end were written by Sir Isaac Newton...

Speaking of which, does anyone have recommendations for a bike dashcam? I have heard bad things about the Cycliq devices. It is tempting to just try to get another one of those Mini 0804s that I have in my car, seal it up with silicone, and stick a battery pack next to it...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'll find one of my old videos to repost of this exact thing, the bastard even honks at me for having the audacity to drive on his road <:mad:>

edit:
This one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v3fd8gsIvY

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 7, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Linux Fairy posted:

Yeah, that exact situation happened to me yesterday on my bike commute -- straight lane was stopped, I was in the bike lane doing ~20mph, gap opened in straight lane, and narrowly avoided getting bodied by a red 3-series punching through the gap. Legally, the 3-series would have been at fault; in practice, it was something I should have been looking for if I were behaving like a defensive cyclist, and the only laws that really matter in the end were written by Sir Isaac Newton...

Speaking of which, does anyone have recommendations for a bike dashcam? I have heard bad things about the Cycliq devices. It is tempting to just try to get another one of those Mini 0804s that I have in my car, seal it up with silicone, and stick a battery pack next to it...

Those bad things are wrong. The only bad thing about the Cycliq is the cost and the light. I have the older fly and it is crisp and reliable and has been dropped a lot. The battery life is amazing too.
It interferes with I think wahoo computers, but my Garmin is fine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mountain goats?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXsbv75CNRc

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I actually do see loads of weird poo poo on the road, but somehow haven't figured out how to use the quick save function on my camera. Have a dude taking a beating from a ladyfriend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue24ic6RdGc

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Even if you hadn't tagged the location, I'd still have known somehow. My home town always does me proud.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Not unherd of.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Are fuse taps sincerely the best way to power dash cams like this Thinkware F800 I picked up for my Mazda3? I'm new to dash cams and car electrical systems in general and so I was talked out of using them while seeking some hard-wiring advice from my dad. He insists my car should have "bodybuilder power points" just like the fleet trucks he used to repair and that I should seek those out as power sources instead of overloading fuse plugs.

So now I don't know which way is up. 99% of search results (videos, forum posts, reddit, etc...) that come up for "dash cam hardwire" use fuse taps - I have yet to find any guides suggesting alternative sources of power. And when I search for "bodybuilder power point" nothing relevant comes up unless I target the search for large trucks.

Maybe it was the fact that the fuse taps that came with the set I bought are rated 15A? After some further research it seems like it might be a bad idea to tap a 15A spot with two 15A fuses as it'd mean potentially 30A running through a plug rated for 15A? I can't find the exact amp draw of the F800 (just the 12/24VDC rating from the OEM cigarette lighter power cable), but for dash cams it seems 5A fuses should be adequate.

Just to clarify, the fusebox plugs I'm looking to use are both 15A and are marked as for the front and rear "accessory slots" (probably the two sets of USB ports the car has). I've confirmed that one always receives power, and the other only receives power when the car is turned on. These are required according to the hardwire kit that has a wire for "battery" and one for "acc" to support parking mode.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I've always used a fuse rated for whatever the socket was originally designed for as the 'main' fuse socket in the fuse tap and then a 5A fuse for the dash cam.

I normally add the fuse tap on the 12v outlet circuit.

in other news, a dude on the dashcamtalk forums has hacked custom firmwares for the A119 series of cameras. The biggest selling point of this is the higher bitrate - the sensors can do up to 28mbit (OEM settings are around 15mbit) which is close to GoPro level quality, while also adding controls for sharpness (dashcams seem to over sharpen potentially to make plates easier to read?) and saturation. hes pretty active and is even making custom firmware for people at request.

I just updated mine to the 25mbit firmware and i'll review the footage tonight in comparison to the OEM stuff. obviously there'll be a tradeoff with storage due to higher bit rate but it should improve the image quality at the edges enough to make more plates readable.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IAmKale posted:

Are fuse taps sincerely the best way to power dash cams like this Thinkware F800 I picked up for my Mazda3? I'm new to dash cams and car electrical systems in general and so I was talked out of using them while seeking some hard-wiring advice from my dad. He insists my car should have "bodybuilder power points" just like the fleet trucks he used to repair and that I should seek those out as power sources instead of overloading fuse plugs.

I have literally never heard of "bodybuilder power points" before this post. Given the mention of "fleet" I suspect he's used to working on cab & chassis trucks that are delivered incomplete from the original manufacturer to be refit with additional equipment, and yes those I would expect have some form of pre-built means to get 12V to all the poo poo you're adding.

A car sold to the general public? Why waste the engineering time, wiring, and weight on something a fraction of your buyers care about?

Good quality add-a-fuse taps are the best way to go.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah vans and trucks can have that for "upfitters"

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Laserface posted:

I've always used a fuse rated for whatever the socket was originally designed for as the 'main' fuse socket in the fuse tap and then a 5A fuse for the dash cam.

I normally add the fuse tap on the 12v outlet circuit.

in other news, a dude on the dashcamtalk forums has hacked custom firmwares for the A119 series of cameras. The biggest selling point of this is the higher bitrate - the sensors can do up to 28mbit (OEM settings are around 15mbit) which is close to GoPro level quality, while also adding controls for sharpness (dashcams seem to over sharpen potentially to make plates easier to read?) and saturation. hes pretty active and is even making custom firmware for people at request.

I just updated mine to the 25mbit firmware and i'll review the footage tonight in comparison to the OEM stuff. obviously there'll be a tradeoff with storage due to higher bit rate but it should improve the image quality at the edges enough to make more plates readable.

Oh nice - yeah, definitely post your thoughts about it later on if you don't mind, since I for one would be very interested to hear how it goes!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Charles posted:

Yeah vans and trucks can have that for "upfitters"

Yep. All my GM trucks have had an unpopulated connector with all the commonly-needed rails available: ground, Batt +, ignition +, and the ever-popular RAP (Retained Accessory Power). I highly doubt a Mazda 3 has this functionality. Just put an Add-A-Fuse in on an ignition-switched fuse, and run the wire. It's relatively easy, safe, and removable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Oh nice - yeah, definitely post your thoughts about it later on if you don't mind, since I for one would be very interested to hear how it goes!

Theres plenty of demos on the dashcamtalk forums. you can go to the full 28mbit that the sensor can handle but apparently the parking mode of the camera wont work. also probably not the best for longevity of the hardware to run it at its absolute peak performance.