Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Get 1.5x of two years-worth of however much your premium will increase for having an accident, even if you weren't at fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My premiums didn't go up when I got rear ended despite filing a claim.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I wouldn't settle for less than $800, personally.

$801, Bob

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

bird with big dick posted:

Lawyer: what are your damages?
Goon: I feel fine.
Judge: case dismissed.

I don’t think I’d immediately settle for $600 but I’m not sure I’d run out and get a lawyer right now either. You might want to check how your state does things but you’ve usually got two years for this sort of thing before statue of limitations expire so no real reason to rush. And your property damage is separate from any injury so it’s not like you have to settle both at the same time.

The insurance company wants it by next Monday. Which, granted, I can ignore, but again, I feel fine.

I guess my question becomes, what is the likelihood that I do have injuries and they won't become apparent until later? That's my fear. I know I could go get checked out but without any pain or anything it seems like a waste of time.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The insurance can want in one hand and crap in the other.

I mean, the chances that you're going to develop some sort of chronic pain or condition from this accident 6 months from now, when you're fine now, is incredibly nearly 0. But $600 is also practically 0 dollars in terms of a bodily injury settlement. So, ya know...

IANAD & IANAL:

The Mayo clinic says whiplash symptoms develop within days.

You go to the doc they're probably not gonna do 3,000 dollars worth of imaging when you feel fine, nor should they. I agree that if you feel fine there's no point in going to a doc. They're probably just going to ask you some questions equivalent to a webmd diagnosis. When I was a teenager I got rear ended as a passenger in a car and went to an urgent care and got checked out, diagnosed as generic soft tissue whiplash. I don't think they did any imaging. IIRC I had a sore neck for a while, 3 days, a week? Not really sure. I got a lawyer and he got me about $2500 inflation adjusted dollars and took 25%. But that seems to have been a way worse accident than yours. From your video that was a pretty good hit but your car took it well. In my case the car was totaled & completely undriveable and both our seat backs broke due to the impact.

Maybe do some physical activity that's more than what you usually do to make sure it doesn't aggravate anything. Google some whiplash physical therapy and do it. Play some rugby. Help somebody move.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

CornHolio posted:

The insurance company wants it by next Monday. Which, granted, I can ignore, but again, I feel fine.

I guess my question becomes, what is the likelihood that I do have injuries and they won't become apparent until later? That's my fear. I know I could go get checked out but without any pain or anything it seems like a waste of time.

I'm not a personal injury attorney which is what it sounds like would be appropriate, and this is a question for a doctor, not a lawyer.

But, fwiw... I expect your insurance company has a view on whether or not you should settle (and your contract with them has a view on whether or not you're permitted to settle without their consent) but you said they were the same insurance companies? In that case, I would (as folks have already said a couple times) weigh the possibility of discovering, in the future, that you were injured against $600 right now.

As a starter I would tell them that you appreciate their email/call/whatever, you're consulting with an attorney and will come back to them when you've had a chance to appropriately consider their offer.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

builds character posted:

I'm not a personal injury attorney which is what it sounds like would be appropriate, and this is a question for a doctor, not a lawyer.

But, fwiw... I expect your insurance company has a view on whether or not you should settle (and your contract with them has a view on whether or not you're permitted to settle without their consent) but you said they were the same insurance companies? In that case, I would (as folks have already said a couple times) weigh the possibility of discovering, in the future, that you were injured against $600 right now.

As a starter I would tell them that you appreciate their email/call/whatever, you're consulting with an attorney and will come back to them when you've had a chance to appropriately consider their offer.

No, “your” insurance company will not provide assistance on a settlement from “another” company, even if it’s a loss with a policyholder of the same company. They will flat out refuse to provide any advice on this because it’s a liability nightmare for them because they’re not your attorney. You’ll get generic lines like “you should do what you think is best”.

Of course you’re allowed to settle with the tortfeasor’s policy without consent of your insurance, regardless of if they’re the same company or not. This would be a bad faith nightmare if they came out and said “no you can’t settle and get paid”.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

FYI, your posts on the internet saying you don't feel very injured will be used against you in court if you later claim to have been injured.

IMO you should see a doctor to get checked out, and then if you think there's a chance you'll want more than $600 ever, delete these posts, and see a lawyer. One of the things the lawyer can advise you on, is whether $600 is customary and usual, whether it's enough for you to release liability, and whether you have the option to negotiate for more.

Don’t worry, they’re already archived by companies who specialize in providing information services for insurance, law enforcement and other related fields. The poo poo is so advanced now it doesn’t even need your real name associated. The picture of the IN license plate is good enough.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You're tellin me that dead gay comedy forum posts have a legitimate potential of being scrutinized by an insurance company lawyer with regard to a 4 figure bodily injury case?

This world is doomed.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You're tellin me that dead gay comedy forum posts have a legitimate potential of being scrutinized by an insurance company lawyer with regard to a 4 figure bodily injury case?

This world is doomed.

Probably not, just an adjuster! That’s only if the insurance company pays for the service though. AI isn’t behind a paywall (currently) so any of these companies worth a poo poo will crawl publicly available sites and capture any personally identifiable information, like a license plate, or a name, then capture other posts for context.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I can think of one case where an SA poster's posts became relevant in a legal case. The admins had to move an entire thread into the secret nobody-can-see-it forum to protect the poster. In that case, it wasn't a lawyer specifically who found the posts, but the individual bringing (and defending) various suits, but the point is, the posts wound up in court. This was within the last five years.

It is just generally a terrible idea to admit on social media to things that could undermine your argument in a legal case of any kind. Even worse idea to not tell your lawyer about it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Does that stuff come out in discovery or whatever? Like is the insurance lawyer supposed to tell the BI lawyer “hey we know your client Cornholio said due to the accident his penis completely ceased to function but here’s a post on a dead gay comedy forum from 2004 where he admits this his penis has, in fact, never functioned at all, ever”?

e: I’m just using CornHolio as an example I have no personal knowledge of how well his penis does or does not function.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 16, 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Does that stuff come out in discovery or whatever? Like is the insurance lawyer supposed to tell the BI lawyer “hey we know your client Cornholio said due to the accident his penis completely ceased to function but here’s a post on a dead gay comedy forum from 2004 where he admits this his penis has, in fact, never functioned at all, ever”?

e: I’m just using CornHolio as an example I have no personal knowledge of how well his penis does or does not function.

It can, but usually it’s a negotiation tactic before it gets that far. BI attorney wants, say 25k. Injury adjuster or the SIU (fraud) rep will usually present the information and use it to settle the BI for a reduced amount. Even if it was as cut and dry as your example it’s almost always cheaper to pay some amount to get a release signed than pay to defend it in a civil action

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

the point is, the posts wound up in court

Were they good posts, at least?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Some of them were pretty...... salty :getin:

Leperflesh posted:

I can think of one case where an SA poster's posts became relevant in a legal case. The admins had to move an entire thread into the secret nobody-can-see-it forum to protect the poster. In that case, it wasn't a lawyer specifically who found the posts, but the individual bringing (and defending) various suits, but the point is, the posts wound up in court. This was within the last five years.

Still want to find out what happened with that stupid stalker :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would look at the offer this way:

Why do you buy insurance? You know that you are likely to put more into it than you get out, but this is acceptable. You can afford to pay the premium. What you cannot afford is a catastrophic loss, low though the chances may be.

Declining that offer is effectively a premium paid for insurance against unlikely but nonzero life‐changing health consequences.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

It is just generally a terrible idea to admit on social media to things that could undermine your argument in a legal case of any kind. Even worse idea to not tell your lawyer about it.

It's happened more than once. There was at least one E/N thread that got hauled up during a custody dispute though in that case the other party was aware of the poster's use of SA and could steer the attorney to the site and go through post history to see what he was saying during the trial.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

No, “your” insurance company will not provide assistance on a settlement from “another” company, even if it’s a loss with a policyholder of the same company. They will flat out refuse to provide any advice on this because it’s a liability nightmare for them because they’re not your attorney. You’ll get generic lines like “you should do what you think is best”.

Of course you’re allowed to settle with the tortfeasor’s policy without consent of your insurance, regardless of if they’re the same company or not. This would be a bad faith nightmare if they came out and said “no you can’t settle and get paid”.

Interesting. I would have guessed that if your insurance company already paid you then they would have some say on what you did with the other insurance. Anyway, super helpful advice and good posts.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Insurance company makes money by paying out as little as possible and collecting as much as they can. They are not your friend, they are not working for you. This is why ambulance chaser lawyers get results, they work on commission, usually between 25-33%, and are very interested in squeezing money from whoever, by whatever means.

In my state, minimum accident insurance coverage is $15,000. Not sure about yours. But that $600 offer is to keep you from filing a claim. If you feel adventurous, you can ask for more and haggle your way up. But go speak with a lawyer first, don't talk to insurance company at all. If the lawyer can't get you money, they won't take your case and you're free to collect that hush payment and move on with your life.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Short 'n' sweet. Real tragedy is I barely even notice this level of red light running anymore, I see it so often now...

https://i.imgur.com/9xG6IWI.mp4

vvv It triggers me too, every time :(:hf::(

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 2, 2022

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
I've seen enough of your videos at this point that your horn triggers me a little bit.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the pointless horn usage is annoying. It's not a device to punish other drivers, it's for warning people of danger.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The horn is one of the few ways we can communicate from inside the car, I say use it however you want.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

StormDrain posted:

The horn is one of the few ways we can communicate from inside the car, I say use it however you want.

Don't, living in the city people using their horns to "communicate" is very annoying.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I5Zr1Idx30

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, the pointless horn usage is annoying. It's not a device to punish other drivers, it's for warning people of danger.

This was not at all the joke I was trying to make. I was indicating that hearing his horn, after all these videos, triggers a Pavlovian response to the danger at hand.

Also, I'm pretty sure that honking at someone who ran a red light is technically warning them of danger, so :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Hey everybody there’s a driver making an unexpected and dangerous manœuvre” is a fine warning to give.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fame Douglas posted:

Don't, living in the city people using their horns to "communicate" is very annoying.

If you don’t use your horn to communicate in NYC, you are summarily executed. It’s the law.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Manhattan needs to mount GAU-8 Avenger cannons every few blocks that automatically target the sound of car horns.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In my heart of hearts I know honking at the people doing all this stupid poo poo in front of me doesn't affect them, because if they cared they wouldn't be such assholes in the first place. I justify it to myself by saying me honking my horn also gives the person behind me at least a theoretical heads up that yes, even though we have a green light, I'm still slamming on my brakes in the middle of the intersection, please don't rearend me :shobon:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It’s OK to honk at idiots. The people who honk at traffic jams, though…

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

Down to hell. All the way down. Straight to the boiler room!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Toe Rag posted:

I didn't honk at this guy (but if I'd been in the oncoming truck I would have :honk: ) :

https://i.imgur.com/ka2Soz6.mp4

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
If you were in the truck, why would you honk at the poor bicyclist who is yielding to you?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hdip posted:

If you were in the truck, why would you honk at the poor bicyclist who is yielding to you?

He was at a red light not a yield sign. I guess it can vary by city or state, but my understanding is in Texas bikes in the street should follow the same rules as cars i.e. stop at stop signs, don't roll through red lights into oncoming traffic etc.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Takes No Damage posted:

He was at a red light not a yield sign. I guess it can vary by city or state, but my understanding is in Texas bikes in the street should follow the same rules as cars i.e. stop at stop signs, don't roll through red lights into oncoming traffic etc.

Should, but it's reasonable for bicycles to be more laissez-faire about traffic rules. I wouldn't have entered the intersection with the truck there, but would have blown the rest of that red with no guilt whatsoever.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
That is exactly why bicyclists get a bad rap.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Tex Avery posted:

That is exactly why bicyclists get a bad rap.

on the flip side these rules make no sense for bicycles

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I think if you're on the road you should be bound by the same rules as anyone else on the road, whether you're in a car, truck, SUV, ATV, bicycle, motorcycle or you're just superman running at 60mph.

That being said, a bicycle gets to hop on to the sidewalk for a minute to basically become a very fast pedestrian, at least in areas/times without heavy pedestrian traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

the paradigm shift posted:

on the flip side these rules make no sense for bicycles

How so? Road rules and regulations exists to create predictability and establish something resembling logic to what would otherwise just be chaos. You can see all the time as 4 way stops how bicycles not following the rules subverts them. Bicycles run stop signs and red lights simply because they don't want to be bothered to build up their speed again. Blowing intersections is not the same as filtering or splitting, where you can (rightly) argue bicycles and motorcycles warrant special consideration.

I think there should be a hierarchy with regards to responsibility/liability; those with vehicles which will cause the most damage/harm should be held to higher standards, which they somewhat are (eg requiring a special license vs no license at all), but there should still be consistency regarding the actual rules and how they are applied.