Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Oddhair posted:

I on the other hand would like babby's first lesson in polarization if anyone has a link handy, please don't type it up on my account though.

Electromagnetism is weird. You can polarize EM radiation in a 2D angle, clockwise, or counterclockwise. You can use polarization to filter radiation in useful ways.

LCDs work by polarization: my glasses are at the same angle as my MacBook and 5K iMac, 90° off of my old iMac, and mostly worked with my old LCD iPhones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You can get around this problem with some tempered glass screen protectors, which are circularly polarized I guess and as a result you can see the screen through glasses at any angle.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

EightBit posted:

OEM units aren't very readable in sunlight, either. The solution is to tint your windows.

This drives me nuts in general. So many manufacturers love to do the "tablet stuck to a dashboard" style screen and it gets immediately washed out when it's sunny out. One of the major selling points to me with the Escape I ended up getting was that it was one of the few cars I drove that had its screen recessed deeply enough into the dash that it's visible pretty much all the time. I can't imagine trying to use a Tesla when it's super bright out.

I haven't shopped for a head unit in like two or three years but at that time almost every unit I saw that had an LCD had RCA or HDMI inputs so you could send in a camera (or a media player I guess), but it was shockingly difficult to find one that had Car Play or Android Audio that was less than $800 which seemed bonkers to me. I'd assumed that was because those were still newer tech at the time and that it'd have been more common and less expensive now but apparently that's not the case.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
The best thing about polarized lenses is when you have tinted windows every dark car looks like it's got color shift paint. As if TVR released a bunch of boring sedans with reflex purple.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Scruff McGruff posted:

I haven't shopped for a head unit in like two or three years but at that time almost every unit I saw that had an LCD had RCA or HDMI inputs so you could send in a camera (or a media player I guess), but it was shockingly difficult to find one that had Car Play or Android Audio that was less than $800 which seemed bonkers to me. I'd assumed that was because those were still newer tech at the time and that it'd have been more common and less expensive now but apparently that's not the case.

My biggest gripe is finding an android auto/carplay head unit with a loving volume knob. The only current, reasonable option seems to be the Sony XAV-AX100 at $348.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XAV-AX100-Android-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01MF9W0GU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Think about it like this: most of those head units are going into vehicles with steering wheel volume controls, most buyers are looking for the largest screen they can get, double-DIN is only so big. Volume knobs take up precious space that could be showing most people's navigation info instead.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Meydey posted:

My biggest gripe is finding an android auto/carplay head unit with a loving volume knob. The only current, reasonable option seems to be the Sony XAV-AX100 at $348.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XAV-AX100-Android-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01MF9W0GU

I didnt like the way this HU sounded in my friends Soarer, but then again its also a Soarer so its probably acoustically very poor.

Im pretty happy using my phone for Nav and bluetooth music/calls to the head unit. I use an iphone, but I prefer Google Maps/Waze to Apple maps, so im not using Carplay for Nav, and then im also not enthused about plugging my phone into the car every time I get in and want my poo poo to work. Spending money on a Carplay head unit doesnt make any sense in that regard.

So you go down market to a double DIN full face display, and they are all matte finish low-rent touchscreen LCDs with a terrible UI, lack of actual buttons and volume knob.

Thats how I ended up at the point of wanting a rear view mirror display. Not because I want to, but because its the only solution that doesnt significantly impact the ease of use of the head unit.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Oddhair posted:

I still don't get why gas pumps get illegible but not black, and lovely monitors are readable with my head upright while any slightly better tier of monitor will instead be black with my head upright and become visible when I tilt my head.

Without going totally off into 'old man yells at clouds' territory, this sort of thing infuriates me.

My car has an LCD dashboard which becomes totally opaque if I'm wearing polarised sunglasses. And my aftermarket reversing sensor display is the same.

People building things and putting them out to market without goddamn testing them first :argh:

Someone wearing sunglasses while driving? Unprecedented!

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 8, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Gorilla Salad posted:

Without going totally off into 'old man yells at clouds' territory, this sort of thing infuriates me.

My car has an LCD dashboard which becomes totally opaque if I'm wearing polarised sunglasses. And my aftermarket reversing sensor display is the same.

People building things and putting them out to market without goddamn testing them first :argh:

Someone wearing sunglasses while driving? Unprecedented!

I understand where you're coming from, but this is really a situation where there isn't any other option:

Demonstration of removing the polarizing layer from a LCD panel, and the screen appearing white until viewed through polarized lenses.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 10, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Geoj posted:

I understand where you're coming from, but this is really a situation where there isn't any other option:

Demonstration of removing the polarizing layer from a LCD panel, and the screen appearing white until looked at through polarized lenses.

:wrong:

Screens could incorporate a quarter‐wave plate.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Platystemon posted:

:wrong:

Screens could incorporate a quarter‐wave plate.

That costs extra money, and is definitely not a thing in standard LCD screens. Is that something that you can mod into an existing screen, or is it too hard to modify the sandwich?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

EightBit posted:

That costs extra money

You've lost 85% of automakers right here.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Geoj posted:

You've lost 85% of automakers right here.

:thejoke:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
:australia: .avi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgxEIRqcWXA

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

:eyepop:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Some OC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrV7jpuAIdQ

He was originally driving down the middle before going even further to the left. I'm going to assume texting.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

drat! :eyepop: Pity you can't make out the guy's plates in that video! Would've been nice to see him foot that bill!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

So for those of us with multiple cars, has there been any discussion of a good cam that can mount/dismount and swap between? Or are they inexpensive enough that if you have two cars you should just get two cams?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'd rather get two cams. Then you don't have to deal with crappy click mounts and stuff.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I dunno, my Viofo cam came with several adhesive mounts. So I could put them all into different cars and move the cam around between them, easily enough. :shrug:
(Although of course, there's also the power cable to worry about. That could be moved around too, but personally I'd rather just buy a second one online and have one per car)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

LloydDobler posted:

So for those of us with multiple cars, has there been any discussion of a good cam that can mount/dismount and swap between? Or are they inexpensive enough that if you have two cars you should just get two cams?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773FXVKL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's an excellent camera and you can order additional mounts from manufacturer. However, at this price point, buy 2. I did

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP87qzyKTMA

Not particularly new but I haven't seen most of these before and there are some great close calls and lucky/skillful saves.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I do multiple cams for the cars I drive regularly, and I have one with a suction cup mount that has a USB battery pack attached to it for cars I don't drive regularly. This includes a car with 6v electrical system that would be difficult to hook a camera up with another method. It also means I can pull it down and stuff it under the seat for car shows. Also 12v positive ground... Don't go plugging a USB thingy into that lighter plug, the smoke gets out ...

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

mobby_6kl posted:

Not particularly new but I haven't seen most of these before and there are some great close calls and lucky/skillful saves.

I was pretty floored when the clip that had a Viper in it involved a different car wipe out.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

mobby_6kl posted:

My favorite is the bus driver at 30 seconds who sounds like a bad wheel bearing.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Dave Inc. posted:

My favorite is the bus driver at 30 seconds who sounds like a bad wheel bearing.

:golfclap:

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I like the one where the gas is only 1.59

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

chrisgt posted:

I do multiple cams for the cars I drive regularly, and I have one with a suction cup mount that has a USB battery pack attached to it for cars I don't drive regularly. This includes a car with 6v electrical system that would be difficult to hook a camera up with another method. It also means I can pull it down and stuff it under the seat for car shows. Also 12v positive ground... Don't go plugging a USB thingy into that lighter plug, the smoke gets out ...

For the 6V car, USB is 5V so any voltage regulator should handle it. You can probably even just throw a 7805 at it, since it's only a volt difference at like half an amp. Or use one of those $1 ebay switching boards. For the positive ground car, maybe it's worth switching the polarity of your lighter socket. Or making a dongle that switches it, so you can keep everything original.

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

Raluek posted:

For the 6V car, USB is 5V so any voltage regulator should handle it. You can probably even just throw a 7805 at it, since it's only a volt difference at like half an amp.

7805s have a 2V dropout voltage, so this would not work

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A single really beefy diode. Or two in parallel and then two in series.

Redneck engineering :science:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Linux Fairy posted:

7805s have a 2V dropout voltage, so this would not work

Oh, I remembered it as 1V. LDO then, I guess. Assuming you need it to work when the car is off anyways (since charging voltage for a 6V system is 6.9-7.25V I think)

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Yea, if a 6v system is actually running at 6v, you have problems. It's like a 12v system running at 12, yer poo poo's dicked.
It's easier to use a USB battery pack since it runs the camera for several hours at least, longer than I ever drive the car. It also doesn't have a lighter plug. Why modify something when it works. It's almost 70 years old, let it be.

Most USB adapters are either inefficient piece of poo poo switch mode regulators that die below like 7v or so, or are properly designed and shut down below a certain voltage.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Not mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrtVBXlIBfg&t=31s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

<siiiiigh>

keeps driving

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk

Rhyno posted:

<siiiiigh>

keeps driving

Hey, we got the load pretty secure right. Right?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q4I7eqUFCoc

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Rhyno posted:

<siiiiigh>

keeps driving

Well at least he didn't park in the middle of the lane on a busy motorway like most people in dashcam videos seem to.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Anyone posted the DCO Australia May 2018 compilation yet? I don't believe so, but apologies if anyone has. (Normally I see it though this thread, but I hadn't seen any mention of it and it's June now - so I thought I'd venture out and get it on my own!)
As a Simpsons fan who has a different image of the Canyonero on each of my work monitors, this one has the best intro! :v:

Also drat, I'm not sure how that guy in Craptacular's video hit the desk, after two people in front of him successfully braked and swerved for it, though! (And he also braked early)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

My hometown never disappoints. :v:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

well, that was fun, and now i know what it sounds like when electrical sparks or whatever those things were hit my cars soft top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17gyL_NdXYw

if there's another wildfire it was sparks from the pole that this numpty hit

(I stopped and checked, everyone was ok)

(apart from the rapidly-growing grassfire, I mean - that grass is toast)

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That was probably molten aluminum, or at least it was molten when it left the power lines (probably cooled and solidified a bit on the way down).

It's FUN when that poo poo happens right over your head when you're on foot. And by fun I mean pants-making GBS threads terrifying. Burned several holes in my backpack and hoodie. :argh: