Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe next time don't enter an intersection unless you can clear it?

Granted he has an obligation to let you get out of the way once you're in the intersection, but he's justified with being annoyed at people obstructing when he has the green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ltr posted:

Saw this yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEeU44jeR5w

The moment he started pulling left, I knew what he was going to do, but it still surprised me. And for the record, he still had to stop and wait at the light to make his left turn a few blocks away as we all caught up to and passed him.

There's a reason it's called the suicide lane.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

xzzy posted:

Maybe next time don't enter an intersection unless you can clear it?

Granted he has an obligation to let you get out of the way once you're in the intersection, but he's justified with being annoyed at people obstructing when he has the green.

No, no he isn't.

The law is pretty clear on the fact that if the intersection is not clear and you get the green and slam into someone who was already in the intersection prior to the signal change, it's your fault.

If you are sitting in the intersection already waiting to turn left and the light changes, and the dumbass in front of you sits there until the light is stale red before completing his left and allowing you to follow, the other drivers still have to let you clear the intersection prior to taking the green. It's not like you can back up at that point, as there is likely another car behind and blocking you from clearing that way.

If nobody pulled out into the intersection to make a left (assuming no left arrow control) except for a single car at a time, some intersections would take a ridiculous number of signal changes to get through.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 24, 2019

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I hate being on the end of a queue like that, when there's plenty of time for you to all clear the junction, but the car in front of you decides they need to drive at walking pace.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Extra posted:

Especially on any road where the left hand turn goes down a hill (up a hill for vehicles approaching the intersection). I'm just sort of imagining someone coasting along, the light is red up ahead of them before they start braking, then turns green. They maintain speed, come up over the hill and there I am in the intersection stuck behind some guy who is taking forever to make his left hand turn, they crash their SUV/crossover/van into my driver's side door and I am dead. Even with left hand turn green signals, this issue can still occur and I'm curious as to what strategies are employed to solve it. Something like mirrors at the corner of an intersection on top of a hill might be nice.

This entire paragraph referring to intersections and turns on things called 'hills' that obstruct your vision of an intersection is moonspeak to me. I live in Phoenix. :v:

Extra posted:

I'll remember that when my body is crushed into a fine paste by the hordes of drivers who do not know about this law.

I was simply responding to the legality of it, and the guy being 'justified' with being annoyed at a blocked intersection. It's always your job as a driver to make sure that an intersection is clear before entering a crossing or oncoming lane of traffic, but sometimes (like being in a queue to turn left) other drivers put you in a situation where it just sucks, and you have to depend on other drivers (who are pretty much universally stupid and impatient) doing the right thing.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I just drive right up to them and lay on the horn. Although I only do this when they deliberately block the intersection when they can clearly see that there is no way for them to clear it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I love it when the oncoming drivers drive right up to me and lay on the horn, because they can't see that I can't finish my left turn because a pedestrian decided to start crossing the street with 3 seconds left on the green and they're just poking along at a snail's pace, so I get stuck blocking traffic.

Alternately, when I see the pedestrian and won't even enter the intersection to make my left, but the drivers waiting behind me to turn left don't see (or don't care) about the people in the crosswalk and assume I'm just asleep at the wheel and lay on the horn.

Generally we'll all be better off cutting each other a little slack. Also: if a driver makes a mistake, laying on the horn in anger may feel satisfying but it may also fluster that driver into making additional mistakes, especially if they're already surprised or embarrassed. Use your horn to warn a driver of a situation they might not see... not as a tool of punishment.

Yes, they should be better drivers. But you don't want to be the catalyst to a more dangerous situation developing.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

I'm still in the "new dashcam this is so cool" phase so I took a recording of my daily commute and speed it up 16x in windows movie maker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26_2RsK0mIE

As you can see, we get some pretty severe gridlock around here.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Thats some real pretty country right there.

Traffic look like my commute. (if I did it at 3am)

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The Locator posted:

No, no he isn't.

The law is pretty clear on the fact that if the intersection is not clear and you get the green and slam into someone who was already in the intersection prior to the signal change, it's your fault.

It's not clear who was at fault in the OP's situation.

1) You can't know which legal jurisdiction applies to the OP's situation because you don't know where the incident occurred.

2) You don't actually know who has right of way in the OP situation because you are missing facts on direction of travel, speed of travel, timing of signal change relative to position in the intersection, all of which can affect right of way.

You're just coming to that conclusion because you've filled in the missing facts with assumptions.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mantle posted:

It's not clear who was at fault in the OP's situation.

1) You can't know which legal jurisdiction applies to the OP's situation because you don't know where the incident occurred.

2) You don't actually know who has right of way in the OP situation because you are missing facts on direction of travel, speed of travel, timing of signal change relative to position in the intersection, all of which can affect right of way.

You're just coming to that conclusion because you've filled in the missing facts with assumptions.

Actually, he's 100% correct. You are not allowed to enter an intersection until it is clear, no ifs or buts. The "green light gotta stomp my go pedal" idiot was absolutely at fault.

Green doesn't mean "you have the unobstructed right of way", it means "go, but only if the intersection is clear".

I regularly stop at green lights because traffic prevents me from clearing the intersection before the light changes. It pisses off some people, but I'm not getting stuck in the middle of an intersection just because some impatient douchebag wants me to. Blocking intersections is extremely bad karma.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 11, 2014

Mantle
May 15, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Actually, he's 100% correct. You are not allowed to enter an intersection until it is clear, no ifs or buts. The "green light gotta stomp my go pedal" idiot was absolutely at fault.

Green doesn't mean "you have the unobstructed right of way", it means "go, but only if the intersection is clear".

I regularly stop at green lights because traffic prevents me from clearing the intersection before the light changes. It pisses off some people, but I'm not getting stuck in the middle of an intersection just because some impatient douchebag wants me to. Blocking intersections is extremely bad karma.

Motor vehicle liability is a complex area of law with lots of issues that can affect liability. If you think that you can just apply an absolute rule to your situation I encourage you to represent yourself in court against an insurance agency's personal injury lawyer next time you are involved in an accident. You will learn a lot.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mantle posted:

Motor vehicle liability is a complex area of law with lots of issues that can affect liability. If you think that you can just apply an absolute rule to your situation I encourage you to represent yourself in court against an insurance agency's personal injury lawyer next time you are involved in an accident. You will learn a lot.

Luckily, I have a good insurance company (including unlimited legal assistance) on my side to handle that bit, should it ever come to that.

And in this case, it would actually have been exactly that clean-cut. I was in a line of cars, all legitimately waiting to turn left. He was stopped at a red light and if he had hit me, it would have been 100% deliberate, as he would have had to accelerate from a complete stop straight into a car that was right in front of him.

I was in the intersection. No matter what color the light is, that means he still has to yield to me until I have cleared the intersection. And sometimes it takes a little while to clear the intersection of left-turning vehicles because of late-yellow/red light jumpers.

Don't forget, I was there. You weren't. Don't make assumptions.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 11, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Leperflesh posted:

I love it when the oncoming drivers drive right up to me and lay on the horn, because they can't see that I can't finish my left turn because a pedestrian decided to start crossing the street with 3 seconds left on the green and they're just poking along at a snail's pace, so I get stuck blocking traffic.

Alternately, when I see the pedestrian and won't even enter the intersection to make my left, but the drivers waiting behind me to turn left don't see (or don't care) about the people in the crosswalk and assume I'm just asleep at the wheel and lay on the horn.

Generally we'll all be better off cutting each other a little slack. Also: if a driver makes a mistake, laying on the horn in anger may feel satisfying but it may also fluster that driver into making additional mistakes, especially if they're already surprised or embarrassed. Use your horn to warn a driver of a situation they might not see... not as a tool of punishment.

Yes, they should be better drivers. But you don't want to be the catalyst to a more dangerous situation developing.

I'm talking about the fuckfaces that drive through the intersection when you can clearly tell there is no way to clear the intersection. poo poo IF I DON'T GO NOW I MIGHT GET STUCK AT THE LIGHT WHEN IT TURNS RED. *commences to block traffic going the through the other side of traffic*
Not left turners. But then again you aren't supposed to even enter the intersection if you can't clear it.

I formatted my card and now it says "wrong custer(sic) size please format". What custer size am I supposed to use?

E2: nm found it, its 32k

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 11, 2014

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

KozmoNaut posted:

I was in the intersection. No matter what color the light is, that means he still has to yield to me until I have cleared the intersection. And sometimes it takes a little while to clear the intersection of left-turning vehicles because of late-yellow/red light jumpers.

This is true in my state as well. Green means go only if the intersection is clear. As if this needs to be explained and isn't common sense.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Pivit posted:

I'm still in the "new dashcam this is so cool" phase so I took a recording of my daily commute and speed it up 16x in windows movie maker.

Please reupload this with Dick Dale's Nitro as the soundtrack.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 24, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Extra posted:

So if someone turns left in front of you while you're going 40 MPH it's your responsibility to slam on your brakes, hopefully engage ABS if you have it, and if they get hit you're at fault? The only situation where you would not be at fault is if you entered the intersection before they started turning? I guess it makes sense then to swing a left whenever you feel like it on green as long as no opposite facing car has entered the intersection yet.

No, because the laws in most places state that people turning left are required to yield to oncoming traffic. Some places even have a sign at every stop light instructing this. That's the "out" for people who are cruising along and someone turns in front of them.

There's also generally rules about not entering an intersection unless you can drive through without stopping, so I don't know what the gently caress is up with people waiting to turn left who creep their dumb rear end halfway through the turn while they wait for a hole.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Extra posted:

So if someone turns left in front of you while you're going 40 MPH it's your responsibility to slam on your brakes, hopefully engage ABS if you have it, and if they get hit you're at fault? The only situation where you would not be at fault is if you entered the intersection before they started turning? I guess it makes sense then to swing a left whenever you feel like it on green as long as no opposite facing car has entered the intersection yet.

I hope you're being facetious. We are talking about when the signal changes from red to green. Which is given by the context of the situation we were discussing, on the off chance that you were being serious.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Pivit posted:

Seeing that traffic almost makes me want to move there, I didn't know traffic that was even possible. . . traffic be damned, there is no way in hell I could live in the 2nd most religious state

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Pivit posted:

My first (defective) one did that, in addition to the shutting off thing. If I went into view mode on the camera and pressed up and down to see each file and then copied them over it would correct the problem, they'd load just fine. I'd try a different memory card.

It was the memory card. Oh well, it's not a total loss, I put the 64gb card into my phone, and stole the 8gb card from the phone to test with. Works perfectly, but 8gb is barely enough for one way of my daily commute, and that's with moderate to light traffic. I'll order a 32gb card and cross my fingers that it works.

I did a bit of a 'sound test' on the way home, where I cranked it up pretty good for a song. I was expecting to hear a garbled overdriven disaster on the recording, but surprisingly, the circuitry does a pretty damned good job of attenuating instead of just being an overdriven mess. The video on the other hand, doesn't do so well, and kind of jiggles all over the place on the loud bass. I'm not sure if the mount is amplifying the vibration from the windshield, or if the bass is mucking with the stabilization or what. Still serves the purpose of a dash cam regardless I suppose.

Here is a short clip for those brave enough to venture into the land that is my musical drive home if you want to see what I'm talking about. For reference for the audio goons - using medium response and flat, this is hitting 108~110dB Spl. I don't normally listen this loud as I'd rather keep at least some of my hearing for the next few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhwIsKi3qis

Haha.. Youtube has detected that your video is shakey!

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Yeah, I noticed mine does that too. I'm pretty sure it is the vibrations from the windshield, at least it just kinda wiggles, doesn't seem as shaky as the rearview mirror would be.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm really glad I pooped before leaving work tonight.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

poo poo like that is scary. Nice reaction though, not the typical 'panic stop' that would have gotten you into a wreck (probably).

Should have had the audio on so we could have heard your stream of thought. :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Locator posted:

poo poo like that is scary. Nice reaction though, not the typical 'panic stop' that would have gotten you into a wreck (probably).

OH JESUS loving poo poo CHRIST YOU loving RETARDS ARE GOING TO loving KILL ME AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :tizzy:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Locator posted:

The best/worst part: my GM was directly behind me (reasonable following distance; I was doing about 30, he was about 3 car lengths back).

I mentioned to him today. He asked what I was talking about, so I showed him the video. He was busy texting his girlfriend at the time :arghfist::downs:, so if I had panic stopped, I would likely have been spit roasted by two Corollas. :haw: (at least, I think the oncoming car was a Corolla)

I don't remember saying anything except ":wtf:", then forgetting about it and turning the radio up.... then realizing a few blocks later "wait..... did that just happen?".

Beach Bum posted:

OH JESUS loving poo poo CHRIST YOU loving RETARDS ARE GOING TO loving KILL ME AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :tizzy:

Nah, that was tonight, local MLS team had a home game. Stadium is just down the street from work... :argh:

e: maybe I should turn the mic back on..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 13, 2014

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

The best/worst part: my GM was directly behind me (reasonable following distance; I was doing about 30, he was about 3 car lengths back).

I mentioned to him today. He asked what I was talking about, so I showed him the video. He was busy texting his girlfriend at the time :arghfist::downs:, so if I had panic stopped, I would likely have been spit roasted by two Corollas. :haw: (at least, I think the oncoming car was a Corolla)

I don't remember saying anything except ":wtf:", then forgetting about it and turning the radio up.... then realizing a few blocks later "wait..... did that just happen?".

Nah, that was tonight, local MLS team had a home game. Stadium is just down the street from work... :argh:

e: maybe I should turn the mic back on..

You should definitely turn the mic back on. Half the reason I sub'd this thread was to hear angry goons curse idiots.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
We get a lot of lovely/aggressive drivers around here, and I have witnessed quite a few accidents happening right in front of me on the road, and today the decision was made to buy a dash cam. Driver in a prius came from behind me, went up on my right, and passed me while almost clipping a multi-car trailer being towed by a F-350. I have no idea how he didn't hit that trailer, he had to be less than 6 inches from hitting it while going 80+ mph in a 55.

Anyway, the amazon reviews are a bit scary on the G1W with people saying that it quit working weeks or months after buying it, and that its cost prohibitive to return to china even when you get a bad one right out of the box. I saw someone talking about a G1W that is fulfilled by amazon which would make any potential returns easier. I can't find any on amazon that are actually shipped from the USA. Anyone got a link?

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

The only one I see fulfilled by Amazon right now is about $20 more expensive, its also blue, and a vendor I haven't seen mentioned before. I ordered from E-Prance, but now it looks like they're shipping their own. I'd keep checking, inventory changes constantly.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
EBay has piles of Galaxy S3 phones and similar with bad ESN and cracked screen for like $50 shipped, is there any reason those wouldn't be a good value as a dashcam?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

EBay has piles of Galaxy S3 phones and similar with bad ESN and cracked screen for like $50 shipped, is there any reason those wouldn't be a good value as a dashcam?

1. No auto-overwrite or autostart for recording
2. Cell phone cameras have a smaller FOV than dashcams.
3. Recording will run down the battery and you'll have to remember to take it out and recharge it unless you get a dash-mount charger. But at that point, why not spend the money on a cheap dashcam instead of the inferior jerry-rigged broken cellphone/dash mount charger option?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Got my G1W yesterday...Now to figure out a good way to wire it into a 2014 Fusion

e: holy poo poo the instructions are bad.

Tide fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 15, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular posted:

1. No auto-overwrite or autostart for recording
2. Cell phone cameras have a smaller FOV than dashcams.
3. Recording will run down the battery and you'll have to remember to take it out and recharge it unless you get a dash-mount charger. But at that point, why not spend the money on a cheap dashcam instead of the inferior jerry-rigged broken cellphone/dash mount charger option?

The Android app Dailyroads has auto-overwrite, and now that I'm looking, I'm seeing some $4 mountable wide-angle lenses that are compatible with most phone cameras. I think I might actually try that route since I have some older smartphones lying around; I'd be out a few bucks if it didn't work.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I found one on eBay last night for the same price, ships from the USA and has an optional 3 year warranty for an extra $11. Probably gonna get that one.

Edit:

Ordered this one and it should be here on or before the 21st. So stoked to have everyone around me be model drivers for a couple weeks.

iForge fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 16, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Mine keeps turning off while sitting in stop and go traffic. Is my power adapter just getting too low of current at idle that it triggers the auto off?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Russian dashcams have advanced to technology that can CATCH GHOSTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2_t6v0zrIw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

WTF, that car literally came out of nowhere.