Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

OneStopShop posted:

How well can these cameras handle cold weather? For example, the local seven day forecast shows temperatures ranging from -20 to 5°F.

I assume I'll need something that is easily detachable so I can keep it indoors when not in use, any suggestions?

Rechargeable batteries in general don't like the cold; so the already short battery life is worthless once the car's been outside for a while. I learnt this when I brought the camera inside after a night in the car to review footage and the camera wouldn't turn on. But doing generic dashcam duty (powering up when DC power is applied and shutting down when DC power is removed) works 100% in my experience. Other than that one time that I tried to bring it inside, it pretty much lives in my car. I don't see the need to bring it indoors unless you've got nowhere to hide it in your car. Now if I want to review footage, I just take the MicroSD card out. I've used mine with temperatures as low as -12F since getting it.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

How did you remove yours? I tried pulling/levering mine off but it wouldn't budge. I didn't bother opening it up to investigate and just painted the silver in with a Sharpie.

Funny story. After a few attempts, I couldn't figure out how to dismantle the thing so as to remove the silver ring. One day, when adjusting the cam on its windshield mount (forgetting to loosen the nut first) I twisted it and heard a "crack", and the front housing came ajar. After a little more prying (if you decide to go down this road BE CAREFUL as there are wires running from the PCB to the front shell) I got the thing apart - and if I recall, there are only two small screws which secure the silver ring to the front shell.

Here's the catch, though - A review I read online (probably from DashCamReviews) points out that in order to cut costs, the lens assembly is glued or taped to the PCB surrounding the CCD - there are no screws securing it in place. So as it sits, it kinda feels like a "loose tooth" waiting to be knocked off, probably killing the camera. So even though it feels relatively sturdy - I wouldn't recommend this as a solution. However, with the silver trim ring removed - you can now very safely paint it with a rattlecan with no risk to the lens, and then put it back. And that's what I plan on doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

sarcastx posted:

Thought I'd throw my opinion into the ring; I, too, have purchased a G1W from seller "estore009" on eBay; it's served me well (so far) but I thought I'd make a few comments as I've had a couple of different experiences here from the norm.

*I am using mine with a Class 10 Sandisk card (this card specifically) and it's given me no problems.
*The suction cup is practically useless in extreme cold (0F and below inside the car) if you are applying it to the window from being put away - but if it's already on the window, it won't come off.
*The screen on mine never turns off unless the device turns off - someone said something to the effect of the screen turning off after a few minutes of recording - I wish mine did this.
*The firmware is so awful that you won't bother to go through the settings. Happily, you generally won't need to - but I only was able to disable audio recording by accident. Changing the setting appeared to do nothing - I only found out that the audio was disabled after reviewing the footage. The on screen display still shows a microphone icon, confusingly.
*Picture quality is superb - especially for something that costs $52.
*The silver trim around the camera makes it stand out as a target for thieves. It is, however, easily removable.

It should show a slash through the microphone when audio is turned off.

For the screen turning off, you need to select the "screen protection" option in setup. To get to setup, power it on, press M twice in a row (first time gets you into video options, second press takes you to setup). Use the arrows to scroll down to screen protection (it's on the 2nd page on the semi-broken G1W on my desk, I think it's in a similar spot on the one in the car [which runs a different version of the firmware]), press REC, use the arrows to move to 3 minutes, press REC again, press M, and you can then power it off. After that, the screen turns on for the first 3 minutes of recording, then turns off (leaving only the power LED as any indication that it's doing anything).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

sarcastx posted:

*The suction cup is practically useless in extreme cold (0F and below inside the car) if you are applying it to the window from being put away - but if it's already on the window, it won't come off.

Is there any better way to attach things to glass? Some kind of semi-permanent adhesive?
I have similar problems with my radar detector in periods of extreme heat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

~Coxy posted:

Is there any better way to attach things to glass? Some kind of semi-permanent adhesive?
I have similar problems with my radar detector in periods of extreme heat.

Velcro strips.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

Velcro strips.

I don't think the adhesive on velcro (anything short of permanent, really) will stand up to periods of extreme heat. Have you had better luck than I with that stuff?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raluek posted:

I don't think the adhesive on velcro (anything short of permanent, really) will stand up to periods of extreme heat. Have you had better luck than I with that stuff?

They make an industrial grade of some sort. My uncle uses it for his EZPass so it can be swapped between cars quickly.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't do what I did and use velcro right before you drive to California where it's 90+ F, not realizing the glue takes some time to dry, then let it kinda "melt" in the sun. :doh:
Otherwise if you let it dry it will last a few years, but I bet there is a 3M adhesive of some kind made for this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlesM posted:

Don't do what I did and use velcro right before you drive to California where it's 90+ F, not realizing the glue takes some time to dry, then let it kinda "melt" in the sun. :doh:
Otherwise if you let it dry it will last a few years, but I bet there is a 3M adhesive of some kind made for this.

Command Strips would probably the the job for a good long while if applied in moderate temperature. They make a picture hanger variation that is basically super dense velcro.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
First bit of relatively interesting footage I've caught on mine since getting it 2 months ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfT2KgyOenM

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

They make an industrial grade of some sort. My uncle uses it for his EZPass so it can be swapped between cars quickly.

3m Dual Lock? I use it in racecars for various bits and pieces that need to be pulled quickly/easily.

http://solutions.3m.com.au/wps/portal/3M/en_AU/Reclosable_Fasteners/Home/Details/

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

drukqs posted:

First bit of relatively interesting footage I've caught on mine since getting it 2 months ago...

I guess it looks darker on the video, but what the gently caress at all those people not having their lights on.. :psyduck:

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

drukqs posted:

When you lost it, I couldn't stop cracking up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jacteh posted:

3m Dual Lock? I use it in racecars for various bits and pieces that need to be pulled quickly/easily.

http://solutions.3m.com.au/wps/portal/3M/en_AU/Reclosable_Fasteners/Home/Details/

I think that's it. This was my other suggestion

http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3...94529207&rt=rud

Would be worth trying as they're pretty cheap.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

It should show a slash through the microphone when audio is turned off.

Guess I hosed up my microphone then!

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
I recently purchased a GW1 like the one pictured. Just curious, but have you tried dealing with a customer service rep at all from that company?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
The new Russian dashcam video for Jan is up at VodkaVideo and there are some real doozies this month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhf6Y4ZLYvA

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Wickerman posted:

When you lost it, I couldn't stop cracking up.

man harsh commenters on Youtube

everybody on facebook complimented my laughter lol

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

spog posted:

The new Russian dashcam video for Jan is up at VodkaVideo and there are some real doozies this month:

For me, this vidoe just shows a link to the guy's new channel, AFAIK the video was meant to be this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0jKAt-Phc

Edit: Oh God, these are all fantastic. The one starting at 1.15 is my favourite.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 22, 2014

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That one is crazy. Downhill grade and what appears to be solid ice judging by everyone's complete failure to stop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do they not require a license to drive in Russia?

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Everyone changes lanes by suddenly and violently jerking the wheel over..in extreme slippery conditions. What is wrong with you Russia???

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

For me, this vidoe just shows a link to the guy's new channel, AFAIK the video was meant to be this one:

Edit: Oh God, these are all fantastic. The one starting at 1.15 is my favourite.

The pedestrian @ 0:40 just doesn't care.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I lost it at the guy in the black crossover leaving his poo poo in drive and getting out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's surprising to me how many of those are clearly the fault of the driver (that is, the owner of the cam). I'd think they would be too embarrassed to upload their own (often extremely stupid) errors that lead to accidents.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Oh wow, the T-bone at 2:20. Also, you'd think Russians would have more sense than this when driving on icy roads.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Rhyno posted:

Do they not require a license to drive in Russia?

They do, but you can buy your license for the equivalent of $20 US from what I hear. I guess it explains the complete lack of skill that some drivers display, as beautifully captured by these dashcam videos.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Incursus posted:

I recently purchased a GW1 like the one pictured. Just curious, but have you tried dealing with a customer service rep at all from that company?

Yes. They responded both times within a few hours, and have a decent grasp of English.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Joe Mama posted:

Oh wow, the T-bone at 2:20. Also, you'd think Russians would have more sense than this when driving on icy roads.

That was my thought also, you would think Russians would have a better grasp of snow and ice driving. Excessive speed in inclement weather caused nearly all those accidents.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Didn't catch any moron (except myself), but it's drat near impossible to make this turn with any kind of traffic on the road. Cut across 3 lanes in the span of about 4 seconds to legally* make that turn. I don't know who the hell came up with that exit design, but I know that intersection is on the "Top 10 intersections for traffic accidents in Plano" list.

For DFW goons - 121 SRT eastbound exit to Preston, turning south on Preston. I gave up long ago trying to make that turn if there's more than 2 or 3 cars on the service road.

* Not crossing solid lines; pretty sure cutting across that many lanes in such a short term is also illegal in some way, isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQKubO9GP6k

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Pretty sure there's no law against that, and I do poo poo like that all the time, in traffic.

Also, what the hell were you listening to?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

It's 'illegal' if the ticket quota isn't met that month.

This thread, the "These are the people you share a road with" and all of Russia persuaded me to order a dashcam lastnight. I ended up going with the Eprance mini 0801 because the form factor is very subtle compared to the G1W and I can probably get away without people noticing it. It'll be interesting to use it as a timelapse capture camera for long trips, along with its daily duty of witnessing the strange and obnoxious things your average LA driver likes to do.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Krakkles posted:

Pretty sure there's no law against that, and I do poo poo like that all the time, in traffic.

Also, what the hell were you listening to?

Alexisonfire. Not sure which song (I don't know their songs by heart, and I'm too lazy to do a sound search), but it was their Crisis album.

That's a very high traffic area during off peak daylight hours; during rush hour you'd be lucky to get over one lane before the light.

e: have a video of the :siren: leading by example. I bet if I'd done the same thing in front of a cop I'd have at least a couple of tickets in my pocket. :haw:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 22, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Bajaha posted:

They do, but you can buy your license for the equivalent of $20 US from what I hear. I guess it explains the complete lack of skill that some drivers display, as beautifully captured by these dashcam videos.

Having watched a lot of these, I can only assume that the stereotype of hard vodka-drinking is somewhat true.

EDIt: I don;t mean 'LOL, Russians always drunk!!!' - I mean for some of the accidents, I can't figure out why they would make a particular decision unless they were blind drunk.

spog fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 22, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Nothing to see here

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wamsutta posted:

I lost it at the guy in the black crossover leaving his poo poo in drive and getting out.

This one is pretty golden, too:

(I think that's even the same model Infiniti)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Three observations on driving in Russia.

1) NEVER do a left turn.

2) Most cars sold in Russia comes with a rear brake bias.

3) ESP would prevent so many accidents.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Three observations on driving in Russia.

1) NEVER do a left turn.

2) Most cars sold in Russia comes with a rear brake bias.

3) ESP would prevent so many accidents.

1) Never loving Drive in Russia

Fixed that for you.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Also, from what I gathered from a quick google, winter tires aren't mandatory in Russian. That would explain a lot.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

That jaywalker at 0:40 is like suicidal in a trance not even paying attention to the cars crashing all around her. :stare:

But my favorite from that video is the Lada at 3:10, it comes so close to making a safe landing. . . and then rolls down a cliff. Overall, this video definitely demonstrates that if you do retarded poo poo to try to save three seconds off your drive, you will end up late after your accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

MrOnBicycle posted:

Also, from what I gathered from a quick google, winter tires aren't mandatory in Russian. That would explain a lot.

Aside from mountain roads with "Chains Required" posted and things like that, are there any places where winter tires are a legal requirement?