Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

Did you get to 1996 and just decide well thats it guys theres no more music to listen to?

Hah, I didn't even realize that. The radio stations out here do tend to go into 90's mode sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Do you just delete all music older than a few years to keep others from thinking you're out of touch?

We're so two thousand and late.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lol if you permit any sort of distraction while driving. Cupholders? Have a drink when you're not driving. Radio, MP3 player, CD? Turn off the noise, focus on driving. Passengers? They are to sit quietly. A navigator in the front passenger seat is permissible when needed, but they must avoid extraneous chatter and just focus on providing the driver with accurate information about the route and conditions.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That but unironically

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Cupholders? Have a drink when you're not driving. Loose coins storage receptacle.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I hate it when coins rattle around in a cupholder. It's a distraction to driving. Put your coins in your pocket or something.

OR

Useful for paying tolls and whatnot.

...just make sure it doesn't rattle.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
My car came fitted with coin holders, which I thought was cool even though I never go through toll booths.

Then I realised they were American-sized coin holders and absolutely no use to me in Australia.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 6, 2017

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

I hate it when coins rattle around in a cupholder. It's a distraction to driving. Put your coins in your pocket or something.

OR

Useful for paying tolls and whatnot.

...just make sure it doesn't rattle.

Useful for paying like, one toll. Northern Illinois, you'll need the bills drawer from a cash register if you wanna drive around without an EZ pass.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Tollbooths still exist?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Whenever I'm in a newer car, I get distracted by all the touch screens, buttons, controls, etc. It's insane, no wonder they need self-driving cars, let you concentrate on operating a drat spaceship. I drive beaters and antiques, so I'm accustomed to the bare minimum stuff needed to operate a car. It's kinda nice, simple, to the point, gets the job done.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

fickle poofterist posted:

Tollbooths still exist?

Oh yeah.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Tollbooths still exist?

Mostly as a begrudged obligation in Illinois.

Hell, some of them are just the old coin basket funnel kind. For a 95 cent toll.

On the Edens Spur there's a cash toll plaza that I blow by on open road toll with ipass, it has like 6 lanes and only two ever open at the most.

They really don't hide the fact that cash tolls are going the way of Blockbuster at all.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Shere posted:

Mostly as a begrudged obligation in Illinois.

Hell, some of them are just the old coin basket funnel kind. For a 95 cent toll.

On the Edens Spur there's a cash toll plaza that I blow by on open road toll with ipass, it has like 6 lanes and only two ever open at the most.

They really don't hide the fact that cash tolls are going the way of Blockbuster at all.

Actually, the continued talk here in Cincinnati is for the replacement bridge for i-71/75 across the ohio river is for it to be a toll road to make up the cost for the bridge. The current bridge is both really really old and also handling loads 2-3x what it was designed to do. Mainly because i-75 and i-71 are main north/south arteries in the midwest/east coast area.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My wife and I were in wisconsin for a while this summer and we drove down to chicago and took some various other roads and such in northern illinois. And holy crap, the tolls are stupid. OK if you don't have the electronic transponder thing and you just get off the road at a random exit, you better have exact change. There's no human to pay, there's no change machine, and if you want to connect to their website or call in to pay, welp, hey it's down today? Or something. And you'll pay a fee to pay your toll, and you need to know how much your toll was because the website sure doesn't know!

Also really annoying, google maps just insists that you should drive through the easy pass, if you read the road signs and head for the tollway toll booth it just can't deal with it. More generally I've noticed google maps navigation just doesn't believe that drivers might need to use toll lanes, and oh yeah, it tells you to use the lefthand tunnel when driving east on highway 24 through the caldecott tunnel between oakland and walnut creek, CA, even though both tunnel bores go to the same place. I'm pretty sure that's one of the major causes of people swerving across the split at the last second to use the lefthand tunnel.

Sorry about the rant but gently caress you google maps, fix your poo poo.

Anyway yeah, toll roads should be required to either have a human being you can pay, or have a free payment system usable by cell phone. And probably also have a place you can pull over and use a change machine or something, too. And warn you with a sign before the on-ramp that you'll need exact change if you don't have a pass, telling me that poo poo halfway down the onramp is really not helpful you know?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I believe both google maps and waze have options to avoid toll roads.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I believe both google maps and waze have options to avoid toll roads.

They do, but if you just routinely tell it to go from A to B, it doesn't explicitly warn you out loud that there's a toll. I have it turned off because at home, I'm often driving across a toll bridge.

Another gripe, why won't my ez pass transponder for the bay area work elsewhere? Why haven't we loving standardized these things across the country? Come the gently caress on.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

JuffoWup posted:

Actually, the continued talk here in Cincinnati is for the replacement bridge for i-71/75 across the ohio river is for it to be a toll road to make up the cost for the bridge. The current bridge is both really really old and also handling loads 2-3x what it was designed to do. Mainly because i-75 and i-71 are main north/south arteries in the midwest/east coast area.

What I meant is IL makes your life an unending hell if you don't have the toll transponder.

Also some of the areas with open road tolling charge you DOUBLE the e-toll to pay cash at the booth.

They really want residents to get the hint, and also catch out of state drivers and milk them for every cent. It's miserable.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I hate manned tollboths that sneak up on you. This is a fun one from the last time I was in Oklahoma. I was on US 177 going north and my GPS said to take US 412 west to get to Enid. It didn't bother to tell me it was a toll road. Once you're on the clover there's no choice but to go. I had no cash, and the toll attendant was nice enough to say "guy before you overpaid and I didn't have change, I'll just take it out of that!"

Just get tolltags like the rest of the civilized world, Okies!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Leperflesh posted:

Another gripe, why won't my ez pass transponder for the bay area work elsewhere? Why haven't we loving standardized these things across the country? Come the gently caress on.

you'd be asking multiple parties with multiple governing laws to cooperate across state lines. Like gently caress will that happen. Sorry.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

you'd be asking multiple parties with multiple governing laws to cooperate across state lines. Like gently caress will that happen. Sorry.

EZPass works in 16 states. I haven't paid a toll manually since Ohio joined the network.

Every other system seems to be state by state unfortunately.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_Ahead_for_Progress_in_the_21st_Century_Act

MAP-21 was supposed to have that set up by October last year, not sure how it has gone.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Tollbooths still exist?

Yeah. We still have them in Mass. Although some of them were eliminated in Boston and now if you don't have EZpass they record your plate and you pay the amount the tools originally cost.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
insanity at the gas station,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSrL7hbp36M

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ha, I live near here.

Gooooooodddddddd, that dumb girl yelling at the cop about the truck.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Krakkles posted:

Ha, I live near here.

Gooooooodddddddd, that dumb girl yelling at the cop about the truck.

Goddamnit, this. Shut the gently caress up, lady, and let the cop go after the actual problem.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

Goddamnit, this. Shut the gently caress up, lady, and let the cop go after the actual problem.

Even for Youtube comments this lady is getting it rough, she was trying (though admittedly failing) to help. Luckily the SUV is so goddamn stupid he can't even run from the cops right.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dude in the pickup decided to be a hero and prevent the white suv from leaving, which could have made things a lot worse. That was dangerous. Just note the license plate and let the fucker leave, it's not worth endangering everyone by escalating the situation.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Stay away from my frye's!

That's how this thread works right? We post when we recognize where we live?

The most exciting thing I use my dash cam for is when I forget to take a picture of the house I'm inspecting. I just pull it from the dashcam. That's pretty sweet.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Edit, wrong

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 9, 2017

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

Dude in the pickup decided to be a hero and prevent the white suv from leaving, which could have made things a lot worse. That was dangerous. Just note the license plate and let the fucker leave, it's not worth endangering everyone by escalating the situation.

I'm sure he would have, at least until the SUV guy hit him too. Then what the gently caress "should" you do?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The answer is still "don't escalate the situation." Part of me is on the truck driver's side, but on the other hand, that SUV driver is clearly crazy about getting the gently caress out of there, and what do you do when he starts shooting or driving up on the sidewalk to get away?

I'd love to hear the aftermath. Why this happened, is the driver of the semi ok, etc.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
BMW drivers are courteous and polite and never drive like morons when speeding isn't appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj-w0ecgmzM

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Measly Twerp posted:

I'm sure he would have, at least until the SUV guy hit him too. Then what the gently caress "should" you do?

You should accept that a lunatic with a car is a potentially deadly situation, and that allowing them to leave instead of trying to be a vigalante hero is the smart move. Your car is damaged, that's a much better outcome than maybe the lunatic hits a pedestrian while you're trying to prevent them from leaving, or maybe they're armed, or maybe you simply don't have all the facts and there is a compelling reason for someone to flee the scene, such as an imminent medical emergency or they are themselves trying to escape from someone who is trying to kill them, or whatever.

In fact, by using your vehicle as a weapon to try to stop someone else, you may be (probably are) committing a felony. You might not be charged if your use of a deadly weapon was justified, but preventing a suspect from leaving the scene does not justify lethal force, ethically or (in most cases) legally.

And just to bring it to full relevance: having a dash cam means greatly increasing the chance that in an incident like this, after the bad guy runs away, you can provide sufficient evidence to the police that they can easily get a conviction based on more than just eyewitness testimony. So what you "should" do is make note of the license plate, save your dashcam video, and once the immediate danger is gone, you can find out if anyone is hurt, contact the police, etc.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

BMW drivers are courteous and polite and never drive like morons when speeding isn't appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj-w0ecgmzM

Would it be possible to move your dashcam to the top of the windshield? Than angle doesn't show the road as well, and half the picture is just the dashboard and hood.
Running a wire up the A pillar and across the headliner is pretty easy in most cars, just take your time and it isn't too bad.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

chrisgt posted:

Would it be possible to move your dashcam to the top of the windshield? Than angle doesn't show the road as well, and half the picture is just the dashboard and hood.
Running a wire up the A pillar and across the headliner is pretty easy in most cars, just take your time and it isn't too bad.

I could probably figure out how to get power off the mirror-area console (there're lights and such up there too) but effort.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I could probably figure out how to get power off the mirror-area console (there're lights and such up there too) but effort.

I had a mechanic do it for my DR550GW-2CH sometime back. I think it was about an hour's time since I brought all the parts.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

18 Character Limit posted:

I had a mechanic do it for my DR550GW-2CH sometime back. I think it was about an hour's time since I brought all the parts.

What'd'cha use for 12VDC to 5VDC?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I believe he hooked the included power line to the appropriate accessory voltage (my requirement that the thing be off when the car is off). Cars aren't my skillset, so I handed it to a professional.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Rexing Hard Wire Kit Mini-USB Port https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXC2329/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qsf7yb6C1VTHJ

E Support 12v Car Add-a-circuit Fuse TAP Adapter Mini ATM APM Blade Fuse Holder Pack of 5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SUTYYS2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_bGKBVXfaqLKQy

Use a fuse tap in the fuse panel under the driver's side or whatever for switched 12v power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Well hello, local person. Didn't think there were any other goons in the immediate area.

That end of Hogan and the entire length of Stillwater both give me driving anxiety. Seems like it's nothing but inattentive old people and tourists.