Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
There's also the new K1S front and rear camera system, which the guy at Techmoan seems to love. I think that's about $200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
My second G1W is acting weird so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and commit to the K1S.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Oh god, more passing lane chat :can:

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

Been following the thread for a while off and on, really great videos posted throughout. Was wondering if the camera model in the OP is still a good choice, or if y'all have a more recent one that's recommended.

The G1W is ok if you want a camera on the cheap but expect to have to replace them after a year or so, I've gone through 2 so far (though my current one has been chugging along for about 2 years with no issues). Definitely make sure to get one with a capacitor instead of a battery, the batteries have been known to explode if your car gets too hot, even in the northern US.

The Mobius definitely seems to be the way to go if you ware willing to spend just a few more bucks, I don't think anyone in here that has one has complained about it.

There's also the Mini series (0801, 0803, 0805, 0806) which seem to be alright but IMO aren't any better than the Mobius and seem to have more firmware issues.

The general advice is if you are looking to get into dashcams for as little as possible then get the G1W (Make sure you get it from BlueSkySea, EPRANCE, or BlackBox), if you're willing to spend just a bit more, get a Mobius with capacitor and possibly a "C" lens (wide angle). If you have no problem spending a lot more money theres a decent list of excellent cameras.
  • A118
  • K1S
  • X1
  • Panorama S

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 21, 2015

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Not my video but this happened two days ago on my morning commute just a few minutes after I drove past this part. All I can think of seeing the white Chevy is "but that's not my favorite way though!"

https://youtu.be/Hb4LlGBpq-8

The Chevy fled the scene but was later located by the state police.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 8, 2015

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

8ender posted:

Is the currently cheap dash cam darling still the G1W? I see them from a company called Spy Tec on Amazon for $60 CDN.

I commute 200 Kms daily and have seen some poo poo. After a few really close calls lately and a hit and run that I luckily captured on my phone id rather this daily insanity was recorded.

In general, if you can part with the extra cash, go with a Mobius, the G1W works well enough... when it's not broken. I'm on my third in two years. Buy cheap buy twice(thrice), right? IIRC SpyTec is alright as is BlueSkySea and whatever that french one is. Blackboxmycar.com usually has some good prices on cameras too.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

One more detail: my car shocks people. I get out of the car and instinctively brush the frame with the back of my forearm now, because it will zap me every time. I just got used to it and ignore it but sometimes I have a passenger and they get a surprise when they exit and touch the door or frame. It's not enough to be dangerous, but its enough to cause a surprising zap that can actually sting pretty good for a second if you get it somewhere sensitive, like your fingertips.

So maybe there's some grounding issue? It's a 2003 Mazda Protege5, if that matters.

My 2002 Toyota Camry did this too me every single time I got out, sometimes strong enough to make a digit go numb. It never seemed to shock anyone else though. It was bitter-sweet trading that car in because on one hand it had performed reliably for 12 years needing only oil/brakes/tires but on the other I never had to get shocked by it again.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Just installed this today, hopefully I'll be able to pull some test footage soon but I can't imagine it'd be worse than my G1W

I also really appreciated that they (blackboxmycar.com) included a trim tool, I was about to buy one off amazon. I also like that I can connect it to my car stereo to act as a rearview camera when reversing.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

So far my K1S has been working well, hopefully I'll get some clips up soon. The only quirks are that, as everyone that has one has reported, the audio isn't great, it's sort of muffled. Fortunately I don't really care about audio so that's not a problem. It's also fairly picky with memory cards, do not use anything over 32gb, I have a 64gb card in it and have found that once the card fills and it has to start overwriting it gets errors about the card being too slow and will stop recording for a minute or so to catch up on everything. It also doesn't seem to be a big fan of SanDisk in general which is a bummer because all my memory cards are SanDisk. I originally put a 16gb SanDisk in it and it worked fine for a while but all of a sudden stopped recognizing that card. I'm not sure if the card itself went bad or the cam just doesn't like it. I have a 32gb Samsung card ordered so I'll see if that's any better.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Powershift posted:

Or one that plays either la cucaracha or dixie.

This is the correct answer

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

melon cat posted:

I'm considering getting this one for my wife's bar. But I'd really like to know if there are any half-decent dashcams that record the front and rear views.

Anyone have any recommendations for this type of cam?

If audio quality isn't a huge priority, I've had success with my Koonlung K1S. If you do get one of these make sure to buy it from SpyTec or blackboxmycar, some people have had issues with the control box being defective so you need to be able to contact the retailer for a replacement if that's the case and the eBay stores generally ignore you. I didn't have this issue but those who did that used either retailer above had no problem getting a replacement control box that worked fine.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Australian reactions compilation. I love these even more than all the Blyat from the Russian cams. "Jesus wept, you stupid bastard"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLFoQokmpvo

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 7, 2015

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Is there a camera I can mount on my bike helmet that does not look like a loving Christmas tree ornament? The less conspicuous the better.

A mobius might work, they're pretty small and people are starting to use them more for action cam type stuff (a lot of airsoft guys use them as gun cams). That said, it's really not designed for hard use so treat it accordingly. Otherwise maybe a Contour Roam 2/3? They sort of look like a flashlight, work well, are designed as an action cam, and aren't much more than a mobius. They probably also have more standalone battery life than a mobius.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Biscuit Joiner posted:

The licence plate on the car was one of these,

Fraternal Order of Police, only available to current or retired police officers.

Really? Here anyone can get those if they donate to the FOP. Lots of people get them thinking they're a sort of get-out-of-a-ticket plate thing.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I haven't used it (I use Adobe Premiere) but I've heard that if you're looking for fairly basic stuff the built in YouTube editor isn't too bad, the only hassle is uploading a bunch of raw clips in order to edit them can take a fair amount of time.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 21, 2015

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Is this dash cam any good?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3UQXTFWURQO7D5

I'm looking for a good price on an install that would be completely hidden from view in the cabin and hide stuff under seats or in the glove compartment, i even want to drill little circular holes in the grill and somewhere in the rear and poke the lens through them, has anyone done an install like this and could offer tips?

This is what I'm currently using and I haven't had any issues with it other than it being picky with memory cards. Just make sure the memory card is no bigger than 32gb and don't use SanDisk cards, mine's already killed two. I'm currently using a 32gb Samsung card and haven't had any issues. I don't know how well the camera would hold up to being installed in the grill, you may want to make a lens shield for it because I wouldn't be surprised if a rock or piece of debris getting kicked up would break the lens (I'm also not sure how waterproof it is). The cameras themselves are pretty tiny, I have my forward one mounted behind my rear-view mirror and you can't see it at all from the driver or passenger seats and sticking it right next to where the mirror is attached to the window you really don't notice it from the outside either. The wire runs up the cable cover for the rear view power so that's out of sight and runs to the main unit in the glove compartment. The kit includes an adhesive mount for the base too so you can easily mount it there so it's not loose or so you can tuck it up out of sight and you don't even have to drill into the car. I'm not so sure about a good way to mount the rear so that it's completely out of sight. Mine's in a Forester so I basically mounted it to the bottom of the brake light housing at the center-top of the window so that it's in the area covered by the rear window wiper to keep its view clear. If you're inside the car it's pretty obvious but from outside the stock tint on the window is more than enough to keep it hidden. I'll see if I can snap some pictures of my setup at some point.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

Sandisk has some goofy firmware that starts locking up the card when in dashcams. Go buy a different brand like transcend.

Yeah, I've lost like 4 Sandisk cards recently to two completely different dashcams (and one to a Galaxy S5 phone), I don't know what it is but I'm avoiding Sandisk cards for now. I switched to Samsung cards for everything and haven't had any issues, I've also heard good things for Trancend cards. It's kind of a shame because they used to be the best brand for SD cards a few years ago.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I haven't been at-fault in an accident in 14 years, I only spent $16k on the car, and I can afford to buy another if it is ever totaled.

I'm sure I saved way way more than $16k over the last 14 years by not ever paying for collision. I didn't know I'd get the whole "you're on your own" thing from my insurance though, that's going to be pretty obnoxious. I've never gone to court before except jury duty but I guess I can figure it out.

There's probably only a 1% chance of that actually seeing a court room, especially with a video. More likely is the dude's insurance company will throw some cash at you instead.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrox posted:

It's more important who is at fault in the eyes of the insurance company, not judge/police. I'm PA, a forward moving vehicle is 100% to blame for striking another in the back. The logic behind it, is that you're supposed to be traveling at a safe stopping distance. No idea how they accommodate for situations where someone pulls out into the 65 mph traffic lane, while going 10.

Some places also have rules about cars having a duty to avoid obstacles regardless of right-of-way or a duty to yield the intersection to obstructing traffic even if you have the green light so it's possible they got some % of fault regardless just because the video shows that is was relatively preventable. I'm not saying they should be and I don't like to armchair these things but it definitely looks like the van driver was distracted somehow by not noticing the crossing car, but he may have just been tunnel visioned in front of him or maybe the car next to him blocked his vision but not that of the cams since it's usually positioned much farther forward in the car than the driver is.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Nondescript Van posted:

Earlier this same day my friend asked me if I had captured anything cool on my dashcam yet. Fucker jinxed me.

Dang, that sucks. Any additional details? Did the guy stop/apologize or anything? The most recent US crash compilation I watched had 3 hit-and-runs so now I'm convinced that it's happening all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzQKXn4AhXE

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

davebo posted:

I don't understand why all the descriptions say "ride" of way.

It's some inside joke on the channel, I think he accidentally used "ride" instead of "right" in one of his videos and people went nuts about it in the comments so now he puts it all the time just to annoy them.

Bovril Delight posted:

It's crazy, if the comparables locally are overpriced you'll often make a decent amount. I once gave a guy around 2k for his clapped out late 90s Accent.

A buddy of mine got over 3k a 5 years ago for his horrific 90's Neon missing half its paint when it got stolen. We joked that the deposit for the empty soda cans he had in the car were worth more than the car itself. :iiam:

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

That doesn't surprise me, unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of U.S. up-to-date crash compilation channels that I've found. The only other good one I watched basically got shut down by the guy that runs this channel because he would get people to report copyright violations on every video (despite, from what I understand, the other channels owner being pretty clear that he got express permission for every clip in his comps). YouTube channel pissing contests are so stupid.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

I think the consensus is still that the mobius is the best bang for your buck. Should be easily in that price range.

As someone that's owned a number of cameras, none of them Mobius', get a Mobius. They're reliable, small, easy to install (or upgrade/mod), and are inexpensive.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

Does anyone know anything about the "Armor All" ADC2-1004? It's on-sale on Woot! for like $35, and claims:

720 HD Rear View Mirror Dash Cam records audio and video while you are driving
Easy installation requires no tools and attaches to your existing rear view mirror with expandable rubber clips
Always records when your car starts and will stop recording when motion is not detected
Built-in 2.4" LCD color screen directly on a 12x 3" rear view mirror with microphone and speaker
Requires a Micro SD card up to 32gb (not included)

Everything I can see on it is "eh, it's alright" which is the same kind of review you'll get for a G1W which is slightly more expensive. For $35 it's probably worth a shot as an entry level dashcam,even if it sucks you're barely out any money.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

My (third) G1W crapped out on me. When it gets power, it just turns on and stays on the power on screen, occasionally it'll start recording. When you unplug it, it keeps cycling between the power off and power on screens until the battery dies (which thankfully is only about 20 seconds now, since the battery is done).

I have no idea what's decent now, and I'm not buying another G1W. Admittedly I only skimmed the last page or two, but what's decent in the <$100 range these days? And will last more than ~6-9 months? 1080p or better is my only hard and fast requirement, it'd be nice if it used the same mount as the G1W (so I could keep using the mirror mount I have for it), and a built in display would be nice. Not required though.

Before you replace it, if you have another SD card lying around try swapping it. Both my old G1W and my newer K1S both had issues that I was sure meant the unit was bad but it turned out that it was the SD card that was borked. For some reason a bad card was messing up boot up or accessing menus, all sorts of stuff that doesn't seem like it would be card-related. Replacing the card got them both working normally again.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

As for dashcams, Xiaomi has a dash version of the Yi, now with a screen, auto-recording and crash detection (among other things). I have the regular Yi and in terms of image quality it's as good as it gets, at least.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xiaomi-Yi-1...pcAAOSwf05XOvSF

Techmoan has a review of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifPhMULpiWI

Dang, that's some nice looking footage. My only concern is not being able to turn off the G-Sensor, I feel like, especially with the roads around me, the memory card would get filled up with pothole clips that it can't overwrite pretty quickly. If they can add an option to disable that or adjust the sensetivity then this looks like a really nice option for G1W prices.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

The Midniter posted:

So what's the most reliable, lowest cost dashcam out there these days? I looked at the last few pages but it's all just videos of idiots on the road.

The Mobius is the general consensus. The G1W is also OK if you buy from the right place (blueskysea) but it seems that it's not unusual for them to wear out after about 6 months to a year so I would stick to the mobius for a couple extra bucks. I don't think anyone in here has had one of those really die yet.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

melon cat posted:

This has been my experience with many dashcams, as well. It seems like the dashcam market has two segments: crappy, made in China devices with Engrish instructions OR super expensive GPSes that have an after-thought dashcam built-in. And everyone's experiences with the China manufactured units seems to vary significantly.

It really makes picking a half-decent dashcam really tough.

To make things even worse, someone start producing a chinese dashcam that's ok then you suddenly get 100 exact copy clones that are poo poo and it becomes impossible to know whether you got the ok cam or a poo poo one. So you end up with the discussion on cams being half "which models are good?" and the other half is "what sellers are legit?".

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I've got this mobius in my cart right now (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GPXYVQU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A39N5HV5QW0N2O) but before I plunk down the $100 I have a question. With what's in the kit can I just plug it in to the lighter and always have it powered? Or wire it into fuse box? I don't want to deal with having to charge anything, because I'll end up forgetting and that will defeat the sole purpose of having it.

Generally (but not always) lighters work off the accessory circuit so it gets power when you turn the car on, thus the camera will turn on when the car turns on and then turn off once you turn the car off. You can just leave it in the lighter 24/7 and be fine. It's certainly possible to add it to the fuse box, either to the accessory fuse so you don't need to use the lighter, or into an always powered circuit. But if you run it to an always on circuit make sure you have a power management device as well so it doesn't inadvertently kill your car battery.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

I kind of have to doubt either the police assertion or the guy's account of what they said. Regardless of where the perp is headed, he committed the crime in their jurisdiction. If cops just had to turn back at such boundaries, you'd see a ton more crime talking advantage of the obvious loophole. My guess: cop's shift was up and he didn't want to get into something time consuming, and the rotten Chicago PD is just covering for him.

Would be an interesting one to repost on GiP's cop thread to get their take.

I'm not a cop but it wouldn't surprise me if they had a department pursuit policy that said "no chases on the freeway unless it's a violent felony" or something to that effect and to just report it to state police/highway patrol instead. My guess is that's what they told the guy, that the department doesn't allow chases for anything less than a violent felony and that the highway patrol has to handle it from there (presumably because they have a different pursuit policy) which the guy understood to mean that they didn't have jusidiction.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 23, 2016

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Geoj posted:

Are there any decent dual-camera (remote wired camera for rear view) models on the market?

Anyone not following the chat thread, I was rear-ended on Thursday and the other party's insurance is attempting to weasel out of accepting liability. The other party was clearly at fault, accident was witnessed by a county sheriff's deputy and she was cited for ACD on the scene, however her insurer is claiming they can't move forward on the claim until she calls them back as they "don't have her side of the story" yet - which I'm not totally buying, because when I contacted them to start a claim they told me one had already been started by the at-fault driver. So either they're deliberately stalling or the at-fault driver told them I was somehow responsible.

Video footage of the crash would sure be nice to have now - is there anything available or should I just install a pair of cameras?

There's a fair number of these starting to emerge. I have the K1S and it's worked very well once I figured out that it's picky about memory cards. I know BlackVue has a whole bunch of models. I would start by looking at these and check their reviews on Techmoan and other sources to see how they've been received. Otherwise I think there are some people in this thread that are just running two cameras and they seem to work well too.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Do various dashcams all join to their mounts using a standardized interface, or are they all different? Asking because the mount for my Genius is falling apart and I need a new one (along with a new battery but that's a different issue).

I've seen quite a lot that use the same mount bracket the G1W uses, but there's definitely not an agreed upon standard as far as I can tell.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Andohz posted:

As far as I can tell, the dashcam truck is hogging both lanes in an effort to stop the bug from trying to do a stupid overtake since the lanes are merging. The bug tries to pass on the inside and the truck starts pushing it out to the right instead. Then it turns out you can't easily do high speeds with half your tires on grass and half on asphalt.

I assumed the cam truck was with the Semi, usually wide load trucks like that have a lead and trail car that also have flashing lights and "Oversize Load" on them and are basically there for stuff like this, making sure to body block idiots that don't know how to read or know what flashing lights mean.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

NoWake posted:

Came up on some Comcast guys doing work this morning, and holy poo poo their traffic protection sucks.

"Let's shove traffic into the oncoming lane right before a blind crest on a 55mph road, no sign man lol that's what the cones are for."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfrnoIJhrMk

I think it's been mentioned before but basically this poo poo is on Comcast and not the guys in the field. The cone setup policy guides are pretty specific and limited in how the cones should be set up and do not take anything like this into account and usually any attempt to actually account for these types of conditions will put the workers outside of policy which means they could legit get fired/sued for trying to make it safer. I have a buddy that used to be a Comcast field tech and holy poo poo the horror stories of their policies are immeasurable. He eventually moved to DirecTV and loved it, then they got bought by AT&T and it's back to the same poo poo he saw at Comcast.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

FBS posted:

My work buddy's wife collided with an idiot Harley rider who is now falsely claiming it's actually her fault and I'm finally considering a dashcam.

What can I get for ~$50 that's simple to install and simple to operate? I don't even care about special features or even audio I just want something I can use every day. '14 Mazda 3 if it matters.

Blueskysea has G1Ws with capacitors for $50 on amazon right now. I put one in my wife's car and it's been working fine for about a year and a half.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Saw a crash this morning - car straight up Duke Brothers-ed off the road, across the grass verge, and sploosh into a pond without slowing down. I stopped, called 911, and checked my dashcam was on.

When I got chance to pull the footage I discovered the front cam has slowly slipped from how I set it on installation, so it was angled to point up at the sky and missed everything. Rear cam was good, but nothing happened out the back.

The ball-knuckle adjusting thing for the front cam was fully tight but still it slipped - how do I fix that? Solvent weld it so it's no longer an adjustable adjusting thing?

That's a major bummer. I know a number of people loctite their mount joints once they get them into the position they want so that this doesn't happen.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Cartoon posted:

Windows Movie Maker. Oh you said good, drat it.

YouTube's built in editor's pretty good.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

My first G1W died after a few months but my second one has been going strong for a few years now, you just have to make sure you buy it from a good seller like blueskysea. The Mobius cams are also very popular and seem really nice, same with the A118's. I have a K1S in my car that I like a lot but it's audio is crummy if that's important (it's also a lot more expensive than the other options).

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

So this happened this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXZUC3oA0rM

The clip cuts off abruptly at the moment of impact and the next clip starts about 10-15 seconds later once I'd pulled to the side of the road so I need to do some testing and find out if the force of the impact caused a hiccup with the DVR and, if so, do I need to actually anchor the DVR in my glovebox because having it blip out during an impact sort of defeats the purpose. Fortunately in this instance the guy immediately pulled over behind me, apologized, and gave the police the basically correct account of what happened (though from what I understand he tried to blame the car pulled over on the opposite shoulder for why he swerved, not the fact that he was distracted and didn't notice that the cars ahead of him had stopped. But the cop said he was fully at fault so I figured it didn't matter (and I didn't really notice the cause until I looked at the footage later).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Australian dash cams will always be my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcN4xlzXHvU