Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

trouser chili posted:

Aww, it's more fun when you leave the audio on so we can critique your music choices and use of expletives.

As for a mirror mount, there is something up earlier in this thread about mirror mounting the g1w. They used a mount designed for something else, but apparently works with the g1w. I'll try to find it when I get off mobile and on to a PC.

Are you referring to this one? Mine hasn't shown up yet, but it appears to have a ball head so there's probably a bit more in the way of adjusting over the g1w's suction cup mount.

e: linked the wrong one.

Rukus fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

BraveUlysses posted:

Monoprice has 10 and 15 footers available for under 3 bucks.

Just make sure that it's one without ferrite chokes (round circles before the plugs) as they will make it difficult to hide the cable.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Viggen posted:

So, where are we with the cheaper dashcams, now?

G1W is common- but firmware and other issues seem to be at play for many builds.
0801 is the predecessor to the 0803, which lack mounting stuff, but is generally thought of as better?
Mobius B is... ???

I'm looking for a fairly cheap and mostly idiot-proof solution as a gift. I know everybody thinks theirs is the best/worst- but is there somewhere which does a fairly good comparison of features/abilities, and ease of use?

From my experiences and an abridgement from DashCamTalk and Techmoan's videos:

If it's a gift the 801/803 seems to be pretty good in not-too-hot climates, and the built-in screen will help with fine-tuning the recording position. It's small like the Mobius, which helps detract attention to it and makes mounting easier.

The G1WH can be made better by flashing its firmware with other manufacturers'. I've used the Shadow GT300W firmware and it hasn't crashed or deleted any recordings on me (unlike the stock firmware). It's the biggest of the bunch, which can make it difficult to hide or mount near the rear-view mirror. (Going to be putting mine on the rear deck once the 803 arrives.)

The Mobius is top-tier for discreetness, but without any screen it could be difficult to find the ideal mounting position without having to pull a recording and check. It also seems to fare very well with firmware support.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Got one driving home from a friend's place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTJM7NyVRXU

Didn't capture the very end of it, but he ending up hopping the curb to avoid the car coming up the ramp.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

CharlesM posted:

Looks like there's a V2 out now. If you're in the U.S. Pier 28 is a well known member / vendor on the dash cam talk site. Looks like they now have stock in Amazon Canada warehouses too.

Currently waiting for this one to come back in stock on Amazon Canada. I've seen postings on Dashcamtalk about the exposure issue, so hopefully that's just a firmware fix. My Mini 0805's battery is definitely suffering from our summer, it can work for about a minute on battery mode if immediately charged beforehand, but it will try to charge it forever if just left plugged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

stevewm posted:

Can someone recommend a 12v to 5v hardwire power adapter that doesn't blast out a bunch of EMI?

I've tried 2 different ones now attempting to hardwire my dashcam, and they both blast out so much EMI crap it completely swamps all AM/FM reception.

A bit late to this, but I've used these in combination with fuse taps without any issues. It has a female USB port on it, so you can use the appropriate length USB-A to Mini or Micro USB cable to connect to the dashcam.