Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

clockworkjoe posted:

I want to get my brother a dashcam for christmas. He has a new BMW X1X28I. I have no knowledge about cars or dashcams - so something nice with front and rear view recording - not sure what other features would be good. Any suggestions?

I'm in a similar boat (looking to buy one as a gift), and know nothing about them. Wirecutter has a dash cam article, so it's where I'm starting. If nothing else it gives you an idea of features to look for.

Although if anyone has suggestions I'll take them (I'm only looking for forward facing). I'm tempted to just grab that fancy Garmin one, since their first choice is out of stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

uncle w benefits posted:

I just got this PapaGo! 535 for $130: https://dashcameraportal.com/1-channel-dash-cam-reviews/dash-cam-reviews-papago-gosafe-535/

Pretty expensive, but I've used it 2 times and it works fine. It automatically starts recording as soon as you turn the car on (or motion is sensed, depending on settings.) It has pretty good night visibility too.

That's Wirecutter's first choice, but it looks like it's out of stock everywhere online. Maybe I'll call around to local car stereo places.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Those of you who have dash cams, what are you opinions on an ideal field of view?

I'm currently considering either the Garmin 55 or 65. The former is 122°, the latter is 180°. At first I assumed more is better for fov, because you can see more stuff on either side of your windshield. But I'm seeing complaints that it makes close cars appear farther away, and it can make discerning details harder (eg license plates). Although not as important, the lower fov video just looks better.

I'm worried that the ideal is somewhere in between, maybe around 135°. Otherwise I really like the Garmins.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Platystemon posted:

180° is outright impossible with a rectilinear lens. It has to be a fisheye.

It is: https://youtu.be/IhxAZFaRMR8

The 65w is the 180° one. The other two are 122°.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Zero VGS posted:

Is this Papago a good deal? I remember some review site rated one of their dashcams as the best pick for the money but I don't know if it's this one.

https://meh.com/

Papago LORA 381 1080p Dash Cam (Recertified)

$49 (plus shipping I assume)

A different Papago model is the Wirecutter's pick: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/

I couldn't tell you how that one compares, but in the competition section Wirecutter did test at least one other Papago and did not like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thanks very much.

I was slightly mistaken on the microsd card, I have a 64gb one of these, I'm guessing this will be more than sufficient.

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I've read that "normal" SD cards are not made to withstand the constant writing that a dash cam puts out. Apparently they are more prone to failure. There are SD cards that allege to be better for that sort of high volume overwriting.

No idea if it's a marketing gimmick or not, because I know nothing about memory. I've just seen that pop up in discussions online when I was researching cams.

I'd love to know if there's truth to it, because I have a 64gb card just sitting around unused.